• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Herren,

Our industry is continuing to advance. The last stages of my 1844 plan are progressing, and they seem progressing well. The military reforms should be allowed to complete before building more industry.

When they complete, liquor factories should be built in grain-growing regions or in places we already have glass factories, as the government has money to spare.

Additionally, I vote yes on the finance plan.

Finally, I wish to announce that I will be retiring at the end of this term to focus on growing the family businesses. My nephew Friedrich has already been selected as my replacement, and I hope that you are are kind to him as you have been to me. You will have the opportunity to meet him after the elections. Thank you all.

-Paul Meier, Stadtholder of Innsbruck and Head of the State Planning Commission

((Name: Friedrich Meier
Party: Imperialist
House: Conclave
Birthplace: Innsbruck, Germany

Friedrich Meier is a son of the Meier family. His uncle had been proud of their rise to nobility and simultaneously dismayed that now meant so much less than it used to. Friedrich, while still proud of their ascension, is better able to recognize their growing commercial investments as the future of the family. However, he sometimes privately worries if he will be able to uphold the family legacy.))
Herr Mier, I object according to our minister of finance we need to extend the war tax. So we indeed do not have spare money correct? I sugest you and the Minister of Finance figue out wich of the two is true.

Industry plan now requires a vote as well.

Only the Minister of the Interior has yet to indicate whether or not his plans will change for 1848. All other plans are set or being voted on.

((Warlord Skorr, did you want to leave the UK uncovered, if we're leaving 4th Army in Africa?))

As much as it pains me, Statholder von Bismarck is correct in noting the collapse of our economy occurred during the temporary lapse in the War Taxes. The only ways I can see out of this situation is investing the additional revenue into industry to eventually allow a lowering of taxes or reduce the support and aid we provide our citizens. Only the former is acceptable to me.

I do think the War Taxes should be renamed to the Industrialization Measures, if only for the sake of accuracy.

Last edited:
As much as it pains me, Statholder von Bismarck is correct in noting the collapse of our economy occurred during the temporary lapse in the War Taxes. The only ways I can see out of this situation is investing the additional revenue into industry to eventually allow a lowering of taxes or reduce the support and aid we provide our citizens. Only the former is acceptable to me, so I support the Financial Plan offered by Herr Bismark.

I do think the War Taxes should be renamed to the Industrialization Measures, if only for the sake of accuracy.

((Assembly can't vote on this. Conclave only.))

((Assembly can't vote on this. Conclave only.))
((Misunderstood the 'voting is now mandatory' line. I deleted the bold section so it is now merely a statement of opinion and not a vote.

As far as Britain goes, Defarge will trust to the skill of the German diplomatic corps to avoid another war on the Isles, and he doesn't think Somerset will need a garrison to prevent a rebellion. He is less optimistic about the situation in Africa.))

I vote Yes to both the Finance and Industrial Production Plans. Herr Meier's plan must be supported as he is an Imperialist and therefore cannot be wrong. Herr von Bismarck's plan is for the support of Herr Meier's plan and therefore cannot be wrong.

Adolf von Arnim-Boitzenburg
Conclave, Proud Imperialist

Herr Meier's plan must be supported as he is an Imperialist and therefore cannot be wrong. Herr von Bismarck's plan is for the support of Herr Meier's plan and therefore cannot be wrong.

((Top kek))

To keep things moving along (and since nobody has voted on it in a day or so), I will declare Option D for choosing party leaders the winner. If you aren't already discussing it, I'd like to have who each party leader will be before the next update (although it isn't strictly necessary). Note that the party leader only has the power to negotiate for coalitions; they do not necessarily have to be your Chancellor candidate, as that will be decided after the coalition is set.

As a reminder, foreigners cannot, under the present Constitution, be Chancellor. ((Also, Andre Massena, unless you're making some sort of political statement that the German Republic ought to incorporate Rome, you cannot be Stadtholder of Rome. I believe we agreed upon Ravenna as an alternate city which we do control.))

EDIT: One more day for the other two plans (and to give you time to discuss party leaders). The New Society has yet to weigh in on the industrial question, as a reminder.

G. A. Servatius van Kloetinge

62648d9322ab2eeff5bb5af0bcf29444_zpsc98d0dff.jpg

Name: Gerrit Aldo Servatius van Kloetinge
Date of Birth: 17th May 1808
Place of Birth: Kloetinge, Zeeland
Date of Death: 3rd June 1901
Place of Death: Kloetinge, Zeeland
House: Assembly
Party: The Alliance

Biography: Born in 1808 as the second son to Aldo Willem Servatius van Kloetinge, a merchant in Zeeland, and Saskia (née Havelaar), Gerrit Aldo grew up in a moderately wealthy environment. His family were devoted members of the Reformed church, somehting which captured Gerrit's interest from an early age.

In 1826, at the age of 18, Gerrit Aldo travelled to Antwerp to study theology. He graduated with an MA four years later and enrolled in a seminary. In 1832, he was given his first role within the church as the minister at a church in Zeeland. It was here he first started to develop an interest in politics, using his sermons to deliver his notedly radical views on various social issues – influenced wholly by his religious experience.

He continued in his clerical office until 1846, when he was elected to the National Assembly as an Alliance candidate. In the Assembly, Servatius van Kloetinge sought to promote greater empathy between classes and an expansion of social reform, although his standing was largely diminished by his status as a member of a religious minority group.

Notably, Servatius van Kloetinge voted against war with France in 1853 and took a leading role as a member of the opposition to the practice of transportation during debates in 1858. Largely, his early political career was marked by a compassionate world view and a respect of social justice.

Servatius van Kloetinge came to prominence again in 1861 when he emerged as the leader of the Alliance Party following the resignation of Carlo Brunelli on the back of a scandal involving research into military technology.

In 1870, he was appointed minister of war in the cabinet of Chancellor Ludwig Fredrik Andersen, though his appointed lasted only for the brief period in which the ministry was in power.

After the election of President Carlie later that year, Servatius van Kloetinge became the Father of the House, following 24 years of continuous service.

He served variously as Commander of the Gendarmerie in numerous liberal administrations throughout the 1870s and early 1880s, though severed links with the hawkish dominant liberal faction around Franz Meningen after Meningen's second accession to the chancellery.

Servatius van Kloetinge was Father of the House until his death in office in 1901 at the age of 93. He remains the oldest person to have sat in the Reichstag.

Last edited:
((Glad to have you back! Is this a historical character? The pic looks familiar but I can't place him.))

((I'm equally glad to be back! The picture is of C. H. D. Buys Ballot, though he wasn't a politician.))

((I'm equally glad to be back! The picture is of C. H. D. Buys Ballot, though he wasn't a politician.))

((Oh man... with a name like that, it's probably best he stayed out of politics. :D))

((Oh man... with a name like that, it's probably best he stayed out of politics. :D))

((It's quite brilliant, is it not? :D))

To keep things moving along (and since nobody has voted on it in a day or so), I will declare Option D for choosing party leaders the winner. If you aren't already discussing it, I'd like to have who each party leader will be before the next update (although it isn't strictly necessary). Note that the party leader only has the power to negotiate for coalitions; they do not necessarily have to be your Chancellor candidate, as that will be decided after the coalition is set.

As a reminder, foreigners cannot, under the present Constitution, be Chancellor. ((Also, Andre Massena, unless you're making some sort of political statement that the German Republic ought to incorporate Rome, you cannot be Stadtholder of Rome. I believe we agreed upon Ravenna as an alternate city which we do control.))

EDIT: One more day for the other two plans (and to give you time to discuss party leaders). The New Society has yet to weigh in on the industrial question, as a reminder.

((Oops. Also, who counts as foreigners?))