• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That soldiers guide to Italy reminds me of Soviet soldiers march guide to Finland. I'm not sure if it existed but I heard about it. I guess it didn't really help them.

Hm.. I have browsed a little bit about the Finland guide. It would be interesting to find such a book, perhaps in some Russian archives.

In any case, I really hope that Sicilian guide will be handy (of course, if British intelligence did not screw something up).

I just hope you're not going to defend the strait. Would've kill the Axis once for all.

Hm.. I have browsed a little bit about the Finland guide. It would be interesting to find such a book, perhaps in some Russian archives.

In any case, I really hope that Sicilian guide will be handy (of course, if British intelligence did not screw something up).

You mean a soviet guide? The one I've heard had Finnish road map and was outdated. Well I also heard in a TV document that their order was to go and let Finns surrender and if someone refused, shoot a warning shot so they weren't really awaiting much.

I just hope you're not going to defend the strait. Would've kill the Axis once for all.

Well, you can be sure that I do not plan to farm for kills at Messina, if this is what you mean :)

Thank you, I like them so as well :)

It's just that graphic side of the AAR takes more than double time I spend on writing, as I usually end up reading the descriptions/stories behind the pictures:happy:

Blood-drenched Ashes. September, 1942

September 8. The beachhead around Gela, west from us, was attacked by Italians from the hills of Caltagirone, further north. As our guys have been there for 2 days already and have dug-in well, delaying the Italian advance. In about 24 hours, the guns went silent, leaving 50 of our dead and wounded, and more than 150 Italians.

faUyuur.png

A short respite before rising again. September 10, 1942

In two days, after the harbour was fully secured for unloading the supplies, our 4th Infantry division 'Vilnius', led by the Operational HQ of Gen.Rastikis, which was recently expanded to nearly 3000 men, headed for the same hills, trying to dislodge Italian 'Cuneo' division in an unexpected assault.

At the same time Motorized division 'Pasubio', supported by Inf division 'Parma', tried to ford Salso river from the direction of Agrigento, their attack turning into a artillery and mortar barrage, trying to take our volunteer divisions in a shock, but our guys, lead by experienced Gen. Liatukas, denied all their efforts to cross the stream. In two days both battles ended with victories, with our losses reaching 221 against 376 of theirs.

All this time we were heading north with all haste, trying to reach the foot of mount Etna - to secure strategic heights before Italians (including the retreating garrison of Syracuse, nearly 7000 men) could entrench there, cutting us from the rest of the island and, possibly, to breach the defensive Etna line - a series of fortified encampments and machine-gun nests. Finally, we desperately needed another port for our supplies, since the capacity of port facilities to accept supplies in Syracuse was clearly not sufficient. And that port was to be Catania.

ddDhKBv.png

Battle for Etna. September 16-23, 1942​

It appeared, however, that we were out of luck this time - we ran into some bloody Alpini division, 9000 men strong. We had some fire superiority against them, however, as they seemed to have been rushed into positions and lacked heavier artillery, but this did not look promising at all, even to our most hardened veterans.

We knew that there were some skirmishes in Caltagirone, where our 4th division finally arrived, and even further west, around Caltanissetta, as some probing attacks by our volunteers, sitting in Gela, were made. But none of that mattered then.. We only had the looming smoky peak before our eyes, dark and frightening.

On the 18th, the guys of Gen. Rastikis started an attack from the flank, soon joined by the 4th Infantry. The Italians started to give way. And then came the bombers.

UEHO8jx.png

Bristol Beaufort bombers helped immensely in our fight for Etna. September 21, 1942​

At first, there were several British Fleet Air Arm planes from HMS Glorious, stationed off-shore, but on the morning of the 21st of September we heard the roar of two wings of British bombers, based perhaps in Malta or Tripoli, and the whole mountainside was soon dotted with fire. It took two more days and several more waves of bombers, but we finally did it - Italians were fleeing. More than 800 Italians were found dead, with another 400 lost due to bombings, and there were 1250 Lithuanian casualties.

Last edited:
After this effort by Lithuanians, the Allies of course won't betray Lithuania at Yalta conference! :)

Just caught up with the AAR. Great story, I really like this GIE style war for a change. It reminds me of what the Polish army did during WW2, fight on sea land and air, in Africa, Italy, France and Holland.

Remember their motto
For your freedom and ours.

i allways Think there is to litle casualties in hoi3 when you see dead people maybe im just wrong but i Think 50 men in a batle isnt that much

Against 150 on the other side? 'Talians just didn't have the guts to continue the fight. If you want to see some real blooshed, just check out my Polish AAR, where loses like this are fought on daily basis. Besides, that would ruin our Lithuanian's army if he underwent a single battle like this :p

and of course wether mapmode isnt working -3 in russia in december they mad?

"Russia"

Ever been to Sochi? :)

After this effort by Lithuanians, the Allies of course won't betray Lithuania at Yalta conference! :)

I hope so!

Well, I hope for a reaaally different Yalta conference this time. Perhaps, one of the original parties would even participate as surrendering country :}

i allways Think there is to litle casualties in hoi3 when you see dead people maybe im just wrong but i Think 50 men in a batle isnt that much and of course wether mapmode isnt working -3 in russia in december they mad?
but of course an awsome update

Against 150 on the other side? 'Talians just didn't have the guts to continue the fight. If you want to see some real blooshed, just check out my Polish AAR, where loses like this are fought on daily basis. Besides, that would ruin our Lithuanian's army if he underwent a single battle like this :p

"Russia"

Ever been to Sochi? :)

nope but they shure dont Think of the winds from mexico that makes europe warm

Thanks guys for dropping by. As for your discussion re casualties - I am actually trying to avoid them as much as I can, as I have no MP to rebuild, so attack only if really needed. And also in real life - most losses were due to artillery fire, I believe, as rising for frontal attacks without any support was not that popular since WW1. For comparison - Allies lost ~25000 men while taking Sicily in 2 months (of course, there were much more Axis troops on the island as well), and I expect my casualties to reach up to 10000, while invading with 50000 troops against estimate of 6-8 Inf/Mot divisions (40000-60000 troops). I hope for less, of course, as 20% loss ratio does not look that great.

What concerns the weather - I looked into the actual weather of 1937 for Moscow, and -3 is quite plausible. http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/MOSCOW/12-1937/276120.htm And for cities further west, like Smolensk, the climate is even more mild. What is known, though, that the winter of 1941-1942 was unusually cold in Russia. All in all, I am still not sure what impact does the weather for attrition, but I certainly do not like the desert, as the losses of my militia there was the same as from battles :(

Last edited:
Hanging By A Thread. September - October, 1942

The moment of silence was just that - a moment. Just 3 hours later, on the morning of 23rd, Inf Division 'Messina' started an assault towards our new positions around the mountain. We were fighting tooth and nail, trying to use all the cover we could find for ambushes, but Italians just knew this ground really well.

ig6ukpN.jpg

Highway bridge destroyed by retreating Italians. September 24, 1942

Soon the 7th Alpine, which we have just beaten, has joined the attack as well, and the situation turned to worse. We were basically saved by the 4th Division, which arrived in force for a counter-attack during the night of 25th, and in the morning the Italian attack faltered out, leaving a hundred of Lithuanians and 400 Italians dead. That day, most of the troops from the garrison of Syracuse - nearly 7000 men, up until then scattered all-across the villages on the coast, surrendered.

The middle of our front line was left only barely defended by the OpHQ troops of Gen.Rastikis, now only some 2500 strong, entrenched 20 km to north-west of the town of Caltagirone. This was not missed by Gen.Oxilia and his 'Cuneo' division, and our SOF division was ordered to assist with strengthening the defenses. After a 2-day long forced march, we were finally there, but it was already too little too late.. On 28th we were already moving back to Syracuse, which should be held at all costs.

In the meantime, 4th Inf division was developing their counter-attack into a full-fledged assault on Messina against 2 Italian divisions, with Alpini's soon giving the way. By the 30th, a break-through was achieved, and it was already a matter of hours until the defenses of another port city fall to us.

iVHwmse.jpg

Gen. Liatukas and his men of 3 volunteer divisions in Gela were relentlessly beating-off one attack after another for a week already. October 1, 1942.

Italians attacked Gen.Rastikis' troops as soon as they reached Syracuse. As we were marching from the north, a counter-attack was commenced on their left flank from the direction of Troina village, and their attack was soon blunted.

However, desperate to achieve a quick breakthrough, Italians regrouped during the night of the 4th of October, and launched an assault on our lines with all they had.

6ypyDUW.jpg

Defenses of Syracuse barely holding. October 4, 1942

Last edited:
I guess you'll use that infantry division to attack from Cefalú on "etta" province to encircle Italian infantry division?

If you lose Syracuse, it will look really bad for your soldiers!

Lithuania should get Sicily as it's colony after the war. :p

Lithuania should get Sicily as it's colony after the war. :p

I heard T&T look nice this year :p

Pro tip: T&T = Trinidad and Tobago