• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Introduction

iisbroke

Major
28 Badges
Dec 13, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Knights of Honor
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • King Arthur II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
NQZOkg3.png
Leotarius: “I walked a narrow path; all bestride me were trees a malice. Theirs branches curled down and grabbed at me; a nightmare neighed. Upon that beast was a greater fear; a rider without his head. Before him was a man in laurel crown; a basin kept his blood from ground. The rider flicked the blood upon the trees; its headless stare turned to me.”

Tiberios: “Then what happens my Doux? What does the waking dream sing?”

Leotarius: “That is when my dream always ends. Do you know what they call that creature? It is an old myth from those of my ancestors who crossed the Bospherous from Thrace. It is the Dullahan, they say. . . they say whenever the rider stops someone dies. Something is coming for the world; something will kill what we know.”

Tiberios: “I am more Hellenized than most my Doux. The fancies of our ancestors do not bother me. I suggest you inhale the smoke of burnt oak bark before you sleep tonight. It should calm thy soul if not mind.”

Leotarius: “Hmph, I had assumed some pagan wisdom would come from you physician.”

Tiberios: *Smirking* “Morpheus’ true form is that of winged daemon—not a headless rider. So, my pagan wisdom on the matter would be ill spent.”

Leotarius: “I suppose so. In one-score days a new batch of Celts from Gallia and Hispania will arrive. Don’t give me that look, we need more men; moreover, the strife in the west is forcing people away. What few can arrive are the wealthiest or desperate.”

Tiberios: “Both perfect for making an army.”

Leotarius: “I have no intention of fighting Zenon. What makes contrast between a Rousombladaiotes or Verinus beyond name and faith?”

Tiberios: “It was not the war for empire I spoke my doux.”

Leotarius: “It is still some ways before the Exarch of Pontus no longer chains us. As such, those thoughts are far from my mind. For now, I will be as Odoti the Quick and patience will give like reward.”
End Scene

ppq1LXk.jpg
The Gallo-Graeci are a peculiar lot. They live in the heart of the most civilized of the civilized world, yet have retained their base barbarisms. Their stain upon Asia Minor came from a great migration, which approximates at 278 B.C. They consisted of three tribes: Tectosages, Tolistobogii, and Trocmii.

Lead by Brennus they invaded Greece in 281 B.C. but were turned back before raiding the temple of Apollo in Delphi. These were not quite the Galatians we know today, they were kinsfolk of those that crossed through Thrace. Under Leonnorius and Lutarius, they invaded Asia Minor, while others invaded Macedonia—killing Ptolemy Ceraunus. Eventually they were forced out by Antigonus Gonatas.

If they were invading so much yet continually pushed out, how did they come to take land here? The answer is Nicomedes I of Bithynia. He was having a dynastic struggle and invited the tribes said to have 10,000 warriors. Despite the tribes’ eventual defeat by the Selucids under King Antiochus I, they remained.

With settled territory, they gradually brought in more of their barbarian kin from Europe. From there they would continually raid Bithynia, much to the annoyance of a helpless Nicomedes. The Galatians were famed warriors without a doubt and prominent mercenaries of their time. Their unopposed warring in Asia Minor ended when they sided with the Seleucid Prince Antiochus Heirax. Antiochus seemed the winning side, yet the Hellenized cities united under his foe Attalus and broke the Galatians. In 232 B.C. they were forced to a permanent residence in what we now know as Galatia.
7JlMmFx.jpg
The Galatians were later conquered in 189 B.C. by Gnaeus Manlius Vulso. Aftewards the region and people were dominated by regional rulers until the Mythridatic Wars—were the Galatians sided with Rome. In 64 B.C. Pompey made Galatia a client state of Rome with the old laws of rulership in place; however, Julius Ceaser would revoke those laws and create a Kingdom of Galatia for Rome to better puppet.

The Kingdom lasted for only 35 years, afterwards it was incorporated into the empire by Caesar Agustus. Though barbaric in nature, they had been one of the most loyal provinces to Rome. Their assimilation has run into a problem. In recent decades, their retention of their Gaullic dialect has manifested into a resurgence for their former culture. Their loyalty is yet to come into question, though there is a great deal of distrust amongst the current Galatians and their neighbors. Time will tell what happens next.
j39uUUV.png

Dullahan of the East

Welcome to my AAR. In this one you will watch me play the recently formed duchy of Galatia, and see how far the Celts of Anatolia can go in a world that stopped making sense.

Mods
Start Date: 19 February 476
Ruler: Leaotarius Tolstibogii

2xhzCso.jpg
In this After Action Report (AAR) I will occasionally use cheats to encourage certain events to happen. For instance, in the mod there is no count or duke of Galatia so I used ruler designer to make myself a Galatian ruler with okay stats, then gave all the land except Galatia to the original ruler, including the Kingdom of Pontus. I also gave my character 500 extra gold to kick-start infrastructure with the cash cheat when starting out.

I haven’t done anything else beyond that, and I’ve actually lost all the money due to mercenaries anyway—you’ll see. I try to Role-Play the characters to an extent also. Point is, this AAR focuses on seeing how the story of the Galatians changes over time. Will they live in obscurity forever or become their own empire? Who knows, but I’ll try to make it fun for you all to observe.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Table of Contents
Last edited:
Galatians really interesting historically.

Very interesting setup! :)

Nice to see an AAR with WtWSMS! :) Subscribed!

Leotarius part 1
NQZOkg3.png

Leotarius part 1

The Galatians within the time frame of Leotarius’ early reign were going through a faux renaissance. Much like that of later Europe, they didn’t quite recreate the past. What they did instead, was form a blending of ancient Celtic customs with those of Hellenic ones. To support this wave of lust for their ancestral past, Leotarius and other lords under him invited Celts from western Europe. The Conflict with the Franks in Gallia, the Angles and Saxons in Britannia, and the Visogoths in Iberia, created a motive to leave. Distance on the other hand reduced the ability for many to do so, making most migrants clerics and nobility.

A vast number of Galatians were of the Nicene denomination of Christianity. A few were of the Miaphysite and even Hellenic religions. Their political structure was the same as any within the Eastern Roman Empire of the time—a Doux ruling the Theme of Galatia with a large base of patricians [wealthy land owners] underneath. What few records we have the time suggests that the nobility claimed descent from the, “Twelve Sires.” The pronoun is a reference to the twelve tribes of Galatia who were conquered by Gnaeus’ Expedition in 189 B.C. Leotarius for example used the surname of one of the initial Celtic tribes that crossed into Anatolia [Tolistobogii].

Roman records, though sparse, over the century after the conquest indicate that there were not twelve tribes. The two great battles that force the Galatians to sue for peace resulted in at least two tribes being, “expunged with a dutifulness by which only furies dare not turn face from.” Records from A.D. 100 do show twelve tribes, leaving speculation on the gap. Did the Romans not care to put down the names of the tribes, did the tribes get recreated, or were they just paralleling the twelve tribes of Judah? The previous trio are the most debated and supported theorems.

2 July 476
Doux Zenon of Isauria has arrived in our lands with the intent of conquest. Not for any lust of our meager holdings, but to gain weight for his claim on the Eastern Empire. It pains me, for I have good standing with him, and was betrothed to his daughter before these events. Despot Niketas has yet to send any forces to assist, this bothers me greatly, as I am left to flounder. It would appear that the duties of station mean little to that Greek.
—Leotarius, Doux of Galatia

*Protostrator Menas Karin strides into the halls of Melitene [Owned by Komes Prokopois of Khliar], clutching a scroll.
Menas: “My doux, word has come from Talas.”

Leotarius: “Speak it so we may know what the Despot of Pontus wishes.”

Menas: *opens parchment* “I, Niketas Heraclios, Despot of Pontus, Doux of Polemoniacus, Doux of Bithynia, Doux of Paphlagonia, Doux of Cappadocia, Bandon of Nikaea, Bandon of Prusa, Bandon of Sinope, Bandon of Amisos, Bandon of Kaiseria, and Bandon of Lykandos, invite you displaced lord of Greco-Gallaei. In doing so you will become my marshal, my right hand in war to throw back those who took your lands unjustly. Your Despot commands it.”

*Leotarius spits on the ground
Leaotarius: “He didn’t care about my wellbeing before twenty thousand legionnaires burnt my home. In truth, from what the birds of paupers claim. . . Tavia has fallen, now Zenon marches east toward Talas. Niketas’ armies are still ungrouped, and being forced to combat Phokas’ rebellion in Heraklie. As such, I see no reason to join the man who despises me vehemently.”

Menas: “My Doux, Zenon has taken our home.”

Leotarius: “And Zenon will not keep it; not before becoming the greatest of tyrants in the eyes of those whose support he craves. I was once set to marry his now quite beautiful daughter before this war sprung. Zenon and I hold no ill will for one another, and watching Niketas flail as a drowning child is quite amusing to behold.”

Menas: “Then do we side with Zenon?”

Leotarius: “Nay, for what if he loses. Besides, our paltry eight-hundred means little to his host whether it be for or against. I suggest we wait and see. Eparch Meletios is still giving honey-words to the emperor, with little success being shown in his letters. Upon his return to the succor of Galatians he will be given new purpose.”

Menas: “What purpose would that be?”

Leotarius: “One I not freely discuss in the bosom of another patrician’s home. For now, rest and join me with our kind host at supper. We must prepare for the rider’s halt.”
End Scene

j39uUUV.png
As history remembers well, Zenon Rousombladadiotes became the Emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire in A.D. 476. Basiliskos was a Miaphysite. While this ingratiated him in the eyes of the Armenians and Egyptians, most of his lords were Nicene. The fact was used by Zenon to assist in gaining support for his war.

As Zenon conquered Anatolia, the lords of the Balkans gazed upon their emperor and questioned his right to rule. Wondering if perhaps, they need not bow to an emperor who gained power through conspiracy. In September, his council forced Basiliskos to resign and hand the crown over to Zenon. In return Basiliskos nor his family were killed, imprisoned, nor banished. Instead he became the Bandon of Kaliopolis where he would live out the rest of his days in shame.

Zenon was quick to act upon becoming emperor. His first priority was organizing a force to deal with several peasant revolts that had sprung up in Palestine. Leotarius was quick to send letter of fealty to the emperor. His attempt to be rebetrothed to Zenon’s sole daughter Helena was denied. Now as a princesss of the emperor she had far more political value. The fates would gift Leotarius a different prize.

18 September 476
Today I will arrive at Mikkisos, capital of the mountainous land of eastward Guals. What sort of man has the usurper pawned me off to I wonder? Perhaps God has blessed me with my prayer to leave the gilded cage of the Vandals. When I fled Italy during the barbarian invasions I had hoped sanctuary. Instead I was to be wed and bed to the second son of Vandilica’s king.
—Eudocia Theodosius’ Diary

23 September 476
I have waited a week and gotten to know my surroundings. The marriage will take time, and my husband to be is performing his duty as a vassal to serve as secondary commander of the Pontus army. A rebellion appears to be going on. My greatest concern is that this husband will die as well, or be gone for too long and I become unable to bear child. I am already pregnant with the last seed of my late first husband.

I’ve had my hand-maidens gossip with several servants about my son to be second husband. According to them he is the most apt military commander within the Despotism of Pontus. He is stated to be honest and trusting but also ambitious. The ambition is what intrigues me, I was daughter to the last western roman emperor. While I’ve never been left wanting, a husband that will try to raise our position is most appealing.

N39cu7c.jpg
19 December 476
I have given birth, but to a hunchback. It seems I have sinned in some regard; may our father be gentle to little Asta. The birth was unkind and I have been made feverish. I hope my husband to be returns soon; this empire is shattering like that of my father’s. The Exarchate of Asia declared an open revolt against their triumphantly returned Emperor Zenon. With him are joined Illyricum, Osrhoene, and Palaestinia Salutaris. I have my doubts they will succeed in their war, but time can only tell so much.

25 March 477
That damn court physician and damn Huneric. My late husband seems to have cursed me with the great pox. Tiberios, the physician, did a horrendous job treating me. Though my husband to be is back, I am bed ridden. He is definitely kind if bumbling in his attempts to consul me. He threw Tiberios into the dungeon, some comfort at least. I tried to distract myself with whatever word my Leotarius brought from the war. He states that Zenon is losing, and Niketas had forced the Galatians into a slaughter at Flaviopolis by making them the front guard in the fighting, and afterwards act as rearguard for the retreat. My handmaidens stated overhearing Leotarius discuss possible rebellion with his marshal.

79CeONW.jpg
*Meletios rushes into the room greatly pleased.
Leotarius: “Speak Eparch, what tidings widen oft sullen face?”

Meletios: “I present you my doux with a claim on the Bandon of Ancyra. While not traditionally of this Theme of Galation.” *motions all around him* “It is indeed a land brimming with our people. Could not we procure it, and gain favor with Zenon for fighting a vassal of the rebels?”

Leotarius: “Aye it could, though the laws of the empire prevent me from declaring my own separate war as of yet due to the revolt. Fear not Eparch, I will press this claim and further. You are to head to Dorylaion. I would not settle for only half of Phrygia, for all must be mine.”

Meletios: “At once my doux.”
*Meletios bows and leaves the set.

*Princess Eudocia who had been watching the whole time chimes in.
Eudocia: “Truthfully why has thou decided to take Dorylaion? Is not Cappadocia in the west de jur land of the Galatian kingdom?”

Leotarius: “A kingdom made by the Roman conquerors, no offense my wife.”

Eudocia: “Some taken barbarian scum.”

Leotarius: “Ha, well there is reason of practicality. One is that I need more power before I risk taking the seat of the Pontus Kingdom. The other is the Sakarya. That river’s mouth begins in Dorylaion, and it drains in the Sea of Marma, where Constantinople and Nikomedia port.”

Eudocia: “You seek trade power from it, much like how Galatia controls the bend of the Halys.”

Leotarius: “Correct, rivers are the life blood of civilizations. Controlling parts of them will provide a great deal of fiscal assistance. Something we will need to defeat Pontus.”

Eudocia: “I would advise to focus less on Pontus, gain your land and independence form him of course, but removing him will only open the Black Sea to your borders in the long run. Why not push south to the Mediterranean? It would offer far more affluent trade possibilities.”

Leaotarius: “Perhaps you are right my wife.”

Eudocia: “I have bad habit about that.”
End Scene

In August 479, the civili war that was meant to overthrow Emperor Zenon ended in a white peace. The various lords had proven unable to unseat the emperor, and the war was quickly draining their treasuries. Rather than watch the empire collapse on itself as the western one did, the status quo was set to remain. The peace treaty also set the laws of the realm to be stable, removing inter vassal wars. This did not sit well with the more ambitious Douxs and Exarchates.

This put Leotarius in a difficult position, his only way of gaining prominence in the region now was to attack Pontus. He would wait until the war kingdom’s civil war was completed. The move was less to do with practicality and more to save face in the eyes of the rest of the neighboring nobility. To turn on your liege in the middle of a war had never been viewed kindly.

He would have to wait a long time before he could finally begin his wars to regain Galatian land within the empire. All the while playing the dutiful commander, leading the armies of Pontus to crush rebellions and assist in external wars.

In 23 September 481 Leotarius’ wife Eudocia died of the great pox [syphilis]. With only one heir he sought out for anyone he could. What he gained was Princess Alypia Consantinus, another Western Roman Princess. Khan Odoacer of Italy no longer had need for her and thus decided to marry her off as soon as possible.

A year later a new opportunity would present itself. Niketas of Pontus would declare a war to overthrow Zenon on charges of Tyranny. Niketas had been neutral for the previous one due to his own civil war. In the years since Zenon’s reascension though, the emperor had revoked numerous titles from the nobility. Now more hated than ever, and with most of his armies in Palestine after a war against Arabs, Niketas decided it was time to end the threat once and for all.

Leotarius needed to decide how best to deal with the situation. If Zenon won than the laws keeping the vassals from warring with each other, thus halting Galatian expansion, would never lift. Overthrowing Zenon would further endear Niketas to the Galatian Doux and give some chance to reverse those laws.

BiagQg2.jpg
2 February 483 the Battle of Kotiaion began. 3,000 Galatian forces attacked 1,600 Imperial forces in Dorylaion. The battle involved numerous pincer movements over the various days as the Galatians took full advantage of the mountains that surrounded the field. It was the first victory in the war for the rebels however the main army of Zenon would soon come. On March 7 the Battle of Koltiaion saw 11,000 Imperial forces appear to crush the 3,000 Galatians. Leotarius ordered a retreat and sent word to gather mercenaries at Asponia.

By 12 June 483 an expensive yet large army of nearly 10,000 troops under Leotarius marched south from Paphlagonia to Ancyra where the Imperial army of 12,000 fought Niketas’ 4,000. Joining the battle increased the numerical odds of the rebels. Still, it was a bloody affair as the armies fought each other. By the end of the battle around 5,000 Rebels had died and 7,000 Imperial troops. While the forces of Niketas decided to remain in Ancyra, Leotarius elected to chase down the remainder of the Imperial forces before they could regroup.

BwPHSzx.jpg
At Mithymna on the Isle of Lebos in 3 Novemeber 482, the armies clashed. This battle too was a bloody affair with near equal numbers of the armies being lost. The Galatians lost 2,900 to the Imperial’s 2,500, the strait crossing proving quite taxing. Leotarius still choose to chase the foe. 19 April 484 was the final battle for the Imperial army on the desert plains of Archelais in Tyana. It was also the last of the Galatian army; the cost of the mercenaries had quickly bankrupted Doux Leotarius. He disbanded his forces and served as Niketas’ primary commander once more for the remainder of the war. It ended in 18 January 485, Zenon’s 3-year-old son Kodisa was named emperor with High Patriarch Damiam of the Nicene faith as regent.
j39uUUV.png
Galatians really interesting historically.
Yeah, the Galatians are one of my favorite things about the Celts as it shows just how expansive their culture group was. Picts and Gauls still take #1 for being naked, woad-covered headhunters though.
Very interesting setup! :)
Appreciated, I try to come up with unique settings for all my AARs.
Nice to see an AAR with WtWSMS! :) Subscribed!
By the grace of Enlil I hope to make papa loup99 proud.

As a Celt fascinated by Roman and Turkish history, I could not be more excited by the story of Anatolian Celts. Subbed.
Well I’ll try to better convey the Celtic-Hellenic blend of the Galatians. I.E. probably more scholarly characters make reference to Roman or Greek gods, while the rest will occasionally reference a Celtic custom I’m blatantly stealing from better recorded Celtic groups.

Last edited:
Leotarius has managed to make a name for himself in military terms, but in the chaos that has followed the Isaurian Zeno's restoration to the imperial throne it will be tough to carve out a lasting entity.

Seems like a lot of war for not that much change. And a bumbling court physician.

Leotarius has managed to make a name for himself in military terms, but in the chaos that has followed the Isaurian Zeno's restoration to the imperial throne it will be tough to carve out a lasting entity.
Indeed, it shall. Galatia sits within a volatile region with few options of expansion.
Seems like a lot of war for not that much change. And a bumbling court physician.
Yes, the Stability law for the Beuracratic Government of the Empire prevents all internal and external wars for vassals. Worst court physician event I ever had was when they cut my character’s genitalia off to attempt curing syphilis, before I had an heir.
Poor Eudocia.:(
Aye, the syphilis took her quick—made mad and blind—a tragic fate.
Really interesting start. Can you upload more images of the map?
I've already played up to year 541 in game, but I'll make more of an effort for that in the future. I know once King Aneorestos died I was going to due a post on Galatia, Its direct Vassals, its culture groups, its religions, and then an overview of the world in general. Perhaps after every King I should do that though from now on.

I'll leave a spoiler below showing what maps I have at the moment; however, to avoid ruining too many surprises for the AAR I won't give any context.
RDQMMr1.png
W8pI39K.png

MixzyXF.png

Leotarius comes across as relentless in seeking opportunities to advance his position. Potentially a hero to his people, if not brought low by illness or Byzantine politics.

Edit: Eudocia's early death was a pity. She complemented Leotarius superbly.

Last edited:
Leotarius part 2
NQZOkg3.png

Leotarius part 2

By September 485 the Eastern Roman Empire was in a state of flux. Several peasent revolts had risen up across the empire; there was war led by Exarchate of Achaia [Stephanos Tzanichites] to instill Princess Leontia Leon as ruler of the empire; an invader of the Audianistic heresy known as Leontius Rmehkamid was ravaging Antioch in a war to gain control of the empire as well. The war that overthrew Zenon had left the Eastern Roman army battered and weakened, along with putting a child on the throne of the empire. The wolves had come to feast on the injured mare.

Upset with the state of the empire, Comes Oreintis Zenon II Rousombladadiotes of Oriens and Viceroy Eusebius Zipyros of Thrace demanded independence. In no position to resist the two mighty nobles the emperor, under advice from his regent, allowed their secession. The last vestiges of Roman power in the world was slowly eroding into the ether of history.

RDQMMr1.png
*Within the halls of Mikissos, Leotarius paces in contemplation. Marshal Menas is present, along with Bishop Kaisarios of Tavia.
Kaisarios: “My doux, we could claim independence now, yet the laws of the empire prevent us from warring internally and externally. To be made free would only change cages.”

Menas: “The bishop is right. At no point can we hope to gain land in such a way without immediately declaring independence from the empire itself. Not impossible considering the state it is in, but not like to happen either.”

*Leotarius continues pacing.
Leotarius: If we are to prove ourselves the rightful rulers Galatia and form power to combat my rivals we must formulate a plan that circumvents the stringent laws of the waning empire.”

Menas: “Well we can’t; the most we can do is start an independence war against Niketas. Philippos’ stated the outstanding loans the despot has, along with the food shortages from his isolation in the consumption epidemic.”

Leotarius: “If we are not allowed to war amongst ourselves than how can we declare war on a liege?”

Kaisarios: “The law does not apply to strife between lord and vassal, my doux. We can fight, yet we can only fight Niketas.”

*Leotarius stops his pacing.
Leotarius: “Menas. . .pray tell me what claims within Pontus do I have?”

Menas: “As the one with claims that seems a queer question to pose. . . I would say Paphlagonia was recently fabricated. It does not mean much considering we can no longer war with each other.”

Leotarius: “We can press our claim against Niketas instead of Viceroy Akakios. After all, Akakios is a vassal of Niketas. If we were to war against the Viceroyalty of Nisia for that land, Niketas would be required to interveen.”

Kaisarios: “My doux, is it that you suggest we fight Niketas for that claim rather than for our independence from Pontus?”

Leotarius: “As a wise bishop recently told me, gaining independence from Pontus now would simply be changing cages. So long as we are not free, we can fight our supposed masters. We should gather as many claims as possible and then crush him all at once by pressing every claim within the Pontus.”

Menas: “Nay to such foolhardy wafts my doux. I agree with the brilliance of fighting Niketas this way, but before the these numerous revolts you’ve helped defeat, he outnumbered our forces greatly. At the moment we outnumber his, let us take advantage of that.”

Leotarius: “Yes Menas, you are correct. Opportunity has come and we would be lax to ignore it. Our forces must be readied quickly; we strike the capital first.”

3LsQW2x.jpg
The Pontus revolt by the Galatians was relatively quick. Niketas of Pontus had entrusted Leotarius and his Galatians for over a decade with leading his forces. Now with his top commanders in open rebellion it left him in a compromised position. This was made worse as Scythians [the blanket term they used for steppe nomads] began to heavily raid the borders of his kingdom. To the south, his usual allies in Cilicia were under attack from the invader Leontius Rmehkamid, still seeking to take the Eastern Roman Empire for himself.

Most of the fighting took place around Galatia. It makes quite a bit of sense as the capitals of both parties in the war were in adjacent counties. Galatia had an advantage in that it drew from a more centralized position, which allowed it to organize quicker. This was shown when half the Pontus forces were routed in Ancyra, with the other half being routed at Gangra a few weeks later.

The Galatians lost few troops at the Battle of Tavia [approximately 400 men], while the Pontus army lost twice that number. In January 489, the war ended with Leotarius the victor. Both Doux of Galatia and Despot of Pontus had been left with armies of equal size by the end of the war; however, Leotarius had gained a victory which gave him valuable river land. It also showed he could defeat Niketas, weakening the despot’s standing amongst his other vassals.

*Within the private dining hall of the Mikissos, eats the Tolistobogii line: Princess Alypia Constantinus [pregnant Wife], Tektomara [10-year-old daughter], Mikhailia [7-year-old daughter], Kleopatra [5-year-old daughter].
Alypia: “Now now Kleo, ladies do not eat with their hands. You have the blood of emperors and name of a great ruler, behave well.”

Tektomara: “Why not be like our ancestors and forgo those frilly things.”

Alypia: “I never knew your mother, but I doubt another roman lady of imperial lineage would let her daughter behave as the savage beyond the Alps.”

*Leotarius enters the room in a rush and everyone looks at him in shock.
Leotarius: “Fair morning family.”

Alypia: *Blushing* “Husband are you well today?”

Leotarius: “Nay, I am well stressed. Since taking Paphlagonia Niketas has repeatidly requested I become Chancellor and Regent of Pontus.”

Alypia: “That is. . .” *coughs* “most fortuitous. Is it not?”

Leotarius: “Perhaps opportunity has come as it would allow me to maintain the realm until another chance to claim land appears. I know not if being regent for him is of use.”

*Kelopatra and Mikhailia giggle to each other*
Alypia: “Shh, girls.”

Leaotariaus: “You are all acting queer; what is the matter?”
End Scene

GTUxSW6.jpg
6 October 490
Kind Sister Alypia,
It is with mighty relief I find you no longer beholden to Odoacer’s filth. When the empire of the east is mine as is legitimate, you and your husband will be given gifts of honor. To your own gifts in form of arms to me would be of great appreciation. My forces gathered from old veterans around Samnium, Campania, and Apulia will be arriving in Epirus soon.

There are many pretenders I must defeat, yet god has graced our line numerous times. It was our ancestor Constantine that brought God’s love to a pagan realm, without our dynasty in charge that realm has collapsed. Western Rome is dissolved into new barbarian states and puppet kings. The East is collapsing under revolt and derision.

As aforementioned, fear not sister; moreover, rejoice with great elation. Soon, the Constantinus line will rule once more. The faux emperors of Rousombladadiotes, Basiliskos, Leon, Theodosius, and Valentinianus will no longer mare the great mother of civilization. The barbarians of the “Empire-in-Antioch” will be cast out, the heretics removed, and the dessenters defeated. Let all know of the true emperor’s return king sister.
—Prince Procopius Constantinus

27 June 492
My Doux,
We’re in grave danger. A rank desert breeze has mashed against our gates in Tyana. Leontius ‘Isaurieus’ Rmehkamid has arrived with his four-thousand troops. These Audianistic heretics show their Aramaic blood. Bronze skinned cavalry litter their camp and stop most word from getting out by foot. May this dove find meus garrisoned salvation as they did Noah. For we are flooded by the sins of the world around us; I beseech reinforcements at once.
—Mayor Nikodemos of Anastasiopolis

*Inside a large pavilion tent, Leotarius reviews the letter from his homeland.
Leotarius: “If only I could orchestrate help. The remaining forces in Galatia are not enough to throw back the self-proclaimed Empire of Antioch. The peoples of Paphlagonia still writhe in disillusion under my rule. Cursed Pontic pagans. It was beset by pagan Hellenics so no small loss, especially with its recent conversion in heretical pagans. Not certain what the difference between a Hellen and a Cybelian is.”

*Leotarius tosses the letter aside and reviews a map of Anatolia.
Leotarius: “The Rash they call me, yet I have shown great patience in my machinations. This dying empire is becoming a burden for my people; it will not be seven years until I can legally take land from Pontus once more. For now, I sit as Designated Regent, Chancellor, and primary commander of Pontus. While Count Kalilkos besieges Talas, the rest of us sit here, reclaiming Amisos.”

*Leotarius lazily knocks several miniatures on the map down.
Leotarius: “One long game of chess. . .”

*He pulls out a small gemstone with a Celtic swirl and Christian cross engraved on it. He places it on Galatia.
Leotarius: “By the Virgin mother, we will succeed in the end. I may not live to such glorious days, but my offspring shall: Tektomara, Mikhailia, Kleopatra, and Borgoris.” *He pauses at his son’s name.* “May sickness not keep him long, lest Tektomara be forced to do a man’s work. If he is left bedridden for perpetuity as the physician stated. . .” *Leotarius strokes the pommel of his sword.* “It is best not to think of such cruel mercies.”
End Scene

2 December 492
My Doux,
I am pleased to report the success of my mission in Paphlagonia. The majority of the populace no longer worships that Bosporan chimera of a religion [Hypistarian]. Now they are of the proper Christian faith. May none ever question the Pentrarchy nor the treaty of Nicene.
—Lostoiekos, Court Chaplain

6 May 495
Let it be known to all within the empire that the wars within have ceased. Through the will of God, Basileus Kodisa Rousombladadiotes has been reaffirmed as the true master of the Eastern Roman Empire. The dungeons of Constantinople lay fat with those who dared question his mighty rule.
—Warpalawa, Regent of the Eastern Roman Empire

qj2pJtp.jpg
21 September 495, Despot Niketas had died, making the ten-year truce between him and Leotarius void. Stephanos Heraclios had quickly found himself in a war against Galatia, who had in the past five years built up several claims within Pontus. His attempts to withhold Leotarius’ leavings from the capital having failed. The young ruler was tested in the fires of civil war.

The Second Galaitan-Pontic war was (at the begining) a repeat of the first. Doux Leotarius, was able to organize his forces far sooner than his rival. However, there was one difference; the recently ended civil war for galvikind succession in Pontus left the Despot Stephanos with a weak and enfeebled army. Outnumbered and outmaneuvered, Stephanos would be forced to fight defensively for most of the war.

Despite being renowned for his mountain warfare during the Eastern Roman Civil War to OVerthrow Emperor Zenon, Leotarius did have numerous issues maintaining a supply line within Anatolia’s rugged landscape. While he did control several river junctions, Pontus had enough of a makeshift navy to maintain supplies for its besieged coastal cities. Amasia, Pompeiopolis, and Cotyora all had to be taken in assaults as a result.

y9dZ4Fr.jpg
Unable to properly combat Leotarius, Stephanos was forced to step down by his council in favor of his brother Iakobos. Iakobos was far better at warfare and subterfuge than his administrative elder brother [Stephanos] and twin [Daniel]. This was highlighted by his rushed retaking of Amisos throw bribing the garrisons. The victory was short lived as the forces of Pontus became entangled with wandering rebel peasant army from Cilicia. Though the winners of the confrontation, the already meager Pontic force had been further depleted.

Despot Iakobos took his remaining force [estimated between 700–800] to do a slow siege of Tyana in southern Galatia. He managed to successfully take Tyana but at the expense of Amisos and Sinope falling in the north. This was still regarded as a highly strategic move, for Pontus had many counties while Galatia had only three. This fact made the taking of Galatian land far more important than the loss of Pontic land.

The war would actually prolong an extra two years from a lack of manpower. Emperor Kodisa had declared a de jure war against a tribe in Georgia known only as the Lazica. Despite the civil war, the Kodisa demanded levy from the two factions or else he would intervene. Not wanting the restored might of the Eastern Roman Empire upon them, both parties complied.

When word of another Constantinus host army sprung, Iakobos went to work telling the emperor of how untrustworthy the Galtian Doux was: Leotarius overthrew the Emperor’s father; caused civil strife within Pontus; was married to a Constantinus; married his eldest daughter to another Constantinus. Leotarius would eventually win this proto propaganda war with his second eldest daughter Mikhailia becoming the wife of Emperor Kodisa, though it would prove unhelpful in the long-term.

Leotarius would gain another victory by taking Nikaea, which was made the capital of Pontus by Iakobos due to the Talas’ closeness to the rebel capital of Mikissos. The doux also captured Iakobos’ wife Margarita Macedonius. In October 500, Despot Iakobos sued for peace with Doux Leotarius. Galatia’s borders soon swelled to include Sinope, Herakleia, Lykandos, and Amisos.

W8pI39K.png
Leotarius comes across as relentless in seeking opportunities to advance his position. Potentially a hero to his people, if not brought low by illness or Byzantine politics.

Edit: Eudocia's early death was a pity. She complemented Leotarius superbly.
I really was upset at her death as I had already typed her earlier parts in the update. Disease is quite an apathetic murder.

Last edited:
A glorious mess in Anatolia. Lots of opportunities

Nice work thus far. Enjoyed reading the, thankfully, only two/three updates. Definitely looking forward for more to come!

Keep it up.
Cheers!

Galatia is getting strong.:) One bite at a time.

Thanks for the comments; they help keep the thread on the first page for people to find easier. I'll quote all your comments and answer each one at the bottom of the next update for Monday. That way commenters get a notification about the update by being quoted in it.

Galatia grows slowly but surely, and so far Leotarius' strategy in combination with him outliving the different despots of Pontus has paid off. Internal stability within the Eastern Roman Empire seems precarious though, so those carefully acquired territories will have to be guarded.