• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DaRedMage

Private
15 Badges
Aug 15, 2015
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Magicka
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Prison Architect
THE WOLVES OF THE SNOW
A House Stark AAR.

I am Lord Torren Stark, the rightful Warden of the North and Lord of Winterfell. I am the son of Eddard Stark and Catelyn Tully, brother to Robb, Arya, Bran, Rickon Stark, Jon Snow, and twin to Sansa Stark. My father, Eddard, was executed by King Joffrey Lannister, who took Sansa captive and married her to the imp, Tyrion Lannister. Robb and my mother were slain at the Twins, betrayed by Walder Frey. Arya has not been seen since my father's execution, and I fear for the worst. Jon left for the Night's Watch to become a black brother, and a black brother he shall always be. Bran, Rickon and I were forced to flee Winterfell, but I could not find them in the chaos, and so now here I am - a secret kept by the Reeds, who took me in after the Red Wedding. The only remaining Stark heir, and boy of thirteen. My only friend here is Winter, my direwolf, and I grow more and more homesick by the day. The Reeds tell me there is support for my reclaiming of Winterfell in the North, but I don't know much of plots. All I know is that I want to go home.

Chapter I: The War for the North

Chapter II: Peace in The Seven Kingdoms
Chapter III: Torren's Rebellion
Interlude
Chapter IV: Winter Is Coming
Chapter V: Beyond The Wall

Last edited:
Chapter I - The War For the North

I did not have to wait long for my claim to be pressed. The north was fractured within a fortnight of the new era's beginning. The Barrowlands Ryswells, the Reeds, the Glovers, the Flints, the North Clans and the Umbers fought in my name.

The first year of the war as an absolute disaster. The Boltons were strong, and they met us with defeat at our every turn. It would be two years before that changed, and we would meet the Boltons with crushing defeats at White Creek Castle and Weeping. It didn't drive us much closer to victory, however.

The realm further split upon The Neck breaking out into civil war, two days before my sixteenth name day.

BWsblFS.png

I was now the age that Robb was when he was murdered by the Freys. Walder was already dead of old age, his son and grandson had both died before even being able to inherit the Twins, and it was Walder's great-grandson who occupied the lands. My revenge on him would not be just.

Joffrey Lannister, however, still sat on the iron throne - declared incapable to rule by all those around him, and his reign was now oversaw by a regency. His wife, Margaery Tyrell, births him stillborns. I am most certainly coming for him.

1i1gcfK.jpg

The siege of the Dreadfort began in the last months of the year 802. The Boltons were weak, but so were we. Neither side had many troops left, and we concluded that the winner of the war would be decided by pure luck. The siege was going to cost us many soldiers, and possibly the war, but it was the only option we had left.

In a weird turn of events halfway through 803, Roose imprisoned his son, Ramsey - followed by a faction within the Bolton north demanding that Roose abdicate. The North became ruled by his two year old daughter, Sybelle. He died in an 'accident' some days later. Sybelle Bolton did not rule for long, however - just days after being placed into her father's title, the siege of the Dreadfort ended. She was imprisoned, and her regent offered her surrender. And after three bloody years of civil war, the Starks once again ruled the North.
o97rPQ7.jpg

Sounds like this Westeros is even more cursed than usual.

Chapter II: Peace in the Seven Kingdoms

Ramsay Bolton was called for trial. It ended with the cruel bastard's beheading, carried out by myself.

d3K8fWx.jpg

I soon set about gathering allies. The North was weak, and if we were to be attacked, I would need help. My uncle, Edmure Tully, quickly responded to my request.

eherWOs.jpg

Many called me a fool for doing so, but I refused to proclaim myself the King in the North. To do so would be suicide, and I did not wish for the title anyway. I took Myrcella Lannister's hand in marriage in order to preserve the realm's peace. I did not wish to be attacked by the crown, and I wanted them to know I was not out to cause trouble. I grew up in the shadow of war, I have served in war - I did not want more. Oathkeeper was given to me by Brienne of Tarth, a friend of my mother's, and I demanded Joffrey give me Widow's Wail as a dowry for Myrcella. He, or his council, obliged. I smelted both swords back into Ice.

The next few years were blissful - the peace I had wished for. The realm restored order over the Iron Islands, Myrcella and I had three children: Arya, named after my missing sister, and Catelyn, named after my murdered mother, and Robb, named after my murdered brother. I made many friends at my wedding and other events, my most significant being Lord Willas of The Reach. Cersei Lannister, Lady of the Westerlands and Warden of the East, grandmother of my children, died in 807 - Joffrey succeeded the Westerlands, his power now stronger than ever, much to mine and many other lord's chagrin. However, he died of disease towards the end of the year, and Tommen Lannister succeeded to the Iron Throne.

lm7OvYz.jpg

I had high hopes for his reign for the first year of it, but upon his refusal to name Warden of the North and his unjust revocation of the Stormlands from Shireen Baratheon two years into his reign, I knew he was nothing more than a tyrant - a tyrant who must be deposed. Robb Stark, my son, was his heir, and he would not become a tyrant - but I had no plans to place a Stark on the Iron Throne. I had a different idea.

Last edited:
A different idea - very interesting indeed.

Chapter III: Torren's Rebellion

It was an especially cold morning in Winterfell when I handed the letter to Maester Quenton. "Send the raven." I had ordered. The reachman gave me a 'yes, sir' and reluctantly walked away, taking the letter I gave with him. Of course, he obeyed my command - no matter how much he disagreed with my proposition.

"Your father wouldn't want this," Roger, my Castellan, had said. But that didn't matter to me - what my father had wanted was to rid the realm of a tyrannical king. I wanted the exact same thing.

"My lord, we are only 30,000 men strong. It has taken us near enough a decade to rebuild. Are you sure you want to rebel against the realm? We'll lose." the Greatjon had attempted to persuade me. But I had allies. My uncle, Edmure Tully, gave his assurance he would join me. Lord Willas Tyrell, my closest friend, said The Reach would back me. And somewhere along the way, Victarion Greyjoy had decided to get on board too. The only ones standing in our way were Shireen Baratheon, Lucion Lannister, Doran Martell, and Tommen himself. It wasn't going to be easy, but I knew we could succeed.

They were right about one thing: Tommen Lannister would never give his throne up willingly. We would have to take it by force. He sent me a raven back, telling me he would not give up his throne without a fight. The Seven Kingdoms were going to war.

And as it turned out, I needn't have worried about the support of the Baratheon girl.
xMn1gAz.png

tK3E8FM.jpg

I met my first battle against the High Septon's forces in Greywater Watch in order to relieve the siege there. Their force was almost entirely wiped out.
4oEDpmh.jpg

There were many battles in the Riverlands against Lannisters. Those of us who sought to depose Tommen started off strong, but our forces were quickly halved, and Tommen's Martell backup reared its ugly head for the first time, wiping out the Tully army who were brave enough to face them. I took my force toward it, combining it with a Tyrell and Arryn levy, and we prepared to meet the battle that would likely kill us all.

But we received the joyous news one morning, on this march south, that Tommen Lannister had been slain by Lord Guncer Rosby in battle.

And I suppose it is rather ironic that the son of Eddard Stark lead the restoration of the Targaryens to the Iron Throne.
mQvIiEA.jpg

On a side note: I apologise that this is so short. I had hoped the war would last a bit longer, or there would be more drama, but this just... happened, and the war ended 'inconclusively' about a year and seven months into it.

Last edited:
War makes things uncertain. The chaos makes it feel more authentic.

Interlude:
This is an update on where everything in Westeros currently stands.

8uHmykD.jpg

Mance Rayder 'the Eloquent' is the King of the Kingdom Beyond The Wall. He is fifty four years old, and rendered incapable. His wife, Queen Dalla, has given him no children, and never will. While the Kingdom has existed since 297, I see no future in which this kingdom remains intact. It is already plagued with revolts, and the Fist of the First Men has declared its independence - the other regions may follow, and have increasing reason to do so. His heir is Kyleg 'Crowkiller'.

6sCI9Ok.jpg

Denys Mallister is the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. He has served as LC since 300, and is currently aged sixty-six. He repelled a Wildling invasion of the Night's Watch at one point. They're business as usual, I guess.

aPFoYM7.jpg

Torren Stark is Lord Paramount of the North. He has been the Lord of Winterfell since he took back his family's title from the Boltons in 303, after the Great Northern Revolt. The North was weak and fragile when he came to power aged just sixteen, but he has rebuilt it to its former glory in the years since he has reclaimed it. He is now twenty-three years old, and is married to Myrcella Lannister, who has given him three children so far: Arya, Catelyn, and Robb. He is advisor to Queen Daenerys.

EJwIkw7.jpg

Edmure Tully is Lord Paramount of the Riverlands, having occupied the position since 299. He has four children with his wife, Roslyn Frey: Hoster, Tyta, Osmeria, and Orland. He lead the Riverlands into battle against the Iron Islands in 303, killing Euron Greyjoy and winning his war. He is aged thirty eight.

bNYwo95.jpg

Robert Arryn is Lord Paramount of The Vale, a position he has retained since 297. Aged just nineteen, he has taken Dorea Sand as his wife, and as of yet the two have no children. The only war he has been a part of, so far, is the war to depose King Tommen alongside his uncle and cousin.

ZdDxr3d.jpg

Victarion Greyjoy is Lord Paramount of the Iron Islands. He became King of the Iron Islands after Euron's death in 303, but was forced to bend the knee to the Iron Throne by Joffrey Lannister in 307. He has had many wives, only one of which has given him a child: the baby died in childbirth, as did his wife. He is aged forty nine.

Db1xBlO.jpg

Lucion Lannister is Lord Paramount of the Westerlands, being granted the title by his relative Tommen Lannister when he inherited the Iron Throne in 308. He has taken Amena Folman as his wife, although they have no children. He is currently fighting off an invasion by Tyrion Lannister, who believes he is the rightful ruler of Casterly Rock. Lucion is aged thirty one.

Tx6Ma03.jpg

Willas Tyrell is Lord Paramount of The Reach, inheriting the title after his father died in 309. He is married to Sarella Sand, a daughter of Oberyn Martell, and they have two children: Arysa and Elinor. Aged just seven, Arysa suffers from greyscale. He is thirty three.

3PCY4cZ.jpg

Shireen Baratheon is Lady Paramount of The Stormlands, taking the title from Stannis Baratheon after he was fed to a lion by Joffrey Lannister in the year 300. Shireen has four children with Justin Massey: Edric, Humfrey, Pearse, and Bonifer. She is aged twenty two.

eoYQw1J.jpg

Doran Martell is the Prince of the Dorne, ruling since 279. He has three children with his wife, Mellario: Arianne, Quentyn, and Trystane. He is aged sixty two.

Zu3fdkb.jpg

And finally, Daenerys Targaryen is Queen of the Iron Throne/Seven Kingdoms. She is unmarried as of yet and has no children, besides her dragons - Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion. She came to power after Tommen Lannister was killed in battle during Torren Stark's war to depose him in the year 310. She is aged twenty-seven.

Last edited:
Go Shireen!

Chapter IV: Winter is Coming

Willas Tyrell requested that I bring his daughter and heir, Arysa, under my wardship. Despite her affliction with greyscale she has had since birth, I gladly accepted his request.

QiRan9p.jpg

And just when I thought I could settle down with my young family once more after war, I suffered the first rebellion I'd had in my eight year reign over the North. It was small, however, and they didn't stand any chance of actually succeeding.

p9drjWb.jpg

On1ZAMH.jpg

And not long after my return home, I discovered that the Greatjon had been abusing his position as Master-at-Arms of Winterfell. He was resigned from the position, replaced by Howland Reed - the man who kept me safe for many years and lead the war to put me back in Winterfell.

Myrcella and I had three more children: Harwood, Jeyne and Rickard. Sansa returned home after Tyrion lost his war against Lucion and was banished to the Night's Watch. Her son, Tywin, was left behind as a captive in the Westerlands - presumably to be groomed as Lucion's heir, as he didn't seem to be capable of producing his own.

In the early months of the year 314, we received word that winter was coming.

ekKpmQl.jpg

It was two years before it arrived to us in Winterfell, but we felt it, and we felt it hard. I had never experienced a winter, and I was not enjoying it. My maester told me they got even worse than this.

BlhxUn4.jpg

Starks are always right eventually.

Chapter V: Beyond The Wall

The birth of Brandon Stark was strange to me. I was nearly thirty years of age, and had only ever known summer - and here he was, my newborn son, a child of the winter. Even in his young age, he was quick and fair, much like his mother.

The Kingdom Beyond The Wall launched a renewed attempt to invade the Night's Watch in mid 316. They were hard pressed as it was, and needed the support of the realm. I obliged.

JMwLFRa.jpg

It was in the realm Beyond the Wall that I had my thirtieth name day. It was cold, and I wished for the warmth of the spring beneath Winterfell back. For now, though, I had Winter, my direwolf, for warmth: the other men did not.

otIBUtf.png

I hadn't yet grown accustomed to how cold it was this far north, and so the battle at the Giant's Stair was tough fought. Cutting through enemies while feeling the bite of the winter was no pleasant task. The battle was a success.
okOCz8O.jpg

We also received word that one of Daenerys' dragons, Rhaegal, had a child - it had been tamed by Aurane Waters, who had named him Aegal.

gVQFCBQ.jpg

I was present at the Battle of Forktop Hill. While the battle began well for us, it quickly went south and we were losing. However, I personally met Kyleg 'Crowkiller', the King Beyond The Wall, in battle.
6exPkkf.jpg

The wildling and I duelled in the midst of battle. He lunged forward at me, and I countered the blow. I attempted to strike while he regained his balance, but he countered me and hit my sword out of my hand. He raised his sword above his head, ready to kill me, and I raised my hand to defend myself - I felt the cold steel cut through my bone, and watched as my hand fell into the snow, painting the white dust red with blood. I roared in pain, but successfully dodged his next attack, kicking him behind the legs and knocking him onto the ground. I picked my sword back up, and plunged it deep into his chest. With him, the Kingdom Beyond The Wall was defeated after twenty-one years.

JJFZ2l1.jpg

My hand was unable to saved, just like the battle.

4ynt1ho.jpg

We retreated to Eastwatch, hoping to make it to Castle Black, where the last of the wildling forces remained. We expected to fight them off alone, just 1,000 of us against their 2,000, but a Tyrell force of 12,000 came to wipe them out instead. It decided the war, pushing Chieftess Willow to surrender.

pPWu5Rw.jpg

And, not long after the end of the war, Daenerys Targaryen invited me to become the Hand of the Queen. I said yes.

Upon my return home to Winterfell, my eldest son, Robb, became enamoured with the story of how I served alongside the brothers of the Night's Watch and how I personally slew the King Beyond The Wall. Before long, he was back to his childhood past-time of reading books about the Night's Watch. And so it came as no surprise to me when he requested that he ride north and become a black brother. Although he was just the tender age of ten, I allowed him to do as he pleased, if that was where his heart truly lay. As a skilled swordsman, he'd do them a world of good, I was sure of it.

bwNkjvy.jpg

Last edited:
Hand of the Queen. From utter cold to infernal heat