• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Aasmul

Something fluffy
67 Badges
Aug 14, 2010
  • March of the Eagles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • War of the Roses
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
SWMH Eastern expansion DevDiary 9. The Qipchaq question.

Hello everyone and welcome to the 9th devdiary for the eastern expansion. Today we revisit the steppes and see how thing are shaping up 200 years after our last visit.

1066%20steppe%20de%20facto_zpsxspmkpfv.png

The Qipchaqs

1066%20cuman%20de%20facto%20west_zpsjcth6ncx.png

We kick off with meeting the new big kin in the neighbourhood, the Qipchaqs.
This cuman horde from the east have advanced west without relent the last 50 years and with its numbers still swelling it looks set to continue.

1066%20cuman%20khan_zpspbwfgozf.png

While being a massive tribal confederacy can indeed be intimidating to your puny neighbour, it can also be a source of weakness. Being heavily decentralised, the Khanate is prone to internal squabbles among its many tribe, something a clever outside foe might take advantage of.

1066%20steppe%20culture_zpsodanjckz.png

Despite its large size and sheer number of tribes, the confederation is fairly uniform in its religious and cultural background. The only real deviates being a few subjugated Uze and Khazar tribes.

The Pechenegs
7fb72b37-4880-4800-a5c0-314c6fc58bc4_zps03vi2hop.png

Background:
Much has happened the last two hundred years since we encountered the Pechenegs around the southern Urals and now we find them much further west.
The Story of the Pechenegs rise and fall has followed the usual pattern of dominion of the pontic steppes since antiquity.
After successfully expelling its western rivals the Pechenegs eventually fell prey to infighting the very moment their new found security was threatened by the determined advance of a powerful eastern adversary, in this case the Uzes(the north bound Oghuz). Leaving them vulnerable and with no alternative but to go yet further west.
In two aspects the infighting was different this time, it was not just a struggle for supremacy between the ruling families, but also a struggle of religion as well as one of social divide.
On one side the incumbent Tyrach, slothful and cautious ruler of the most noble blood, intrigued by the new religions from the south.
On the other Kegen, brave and ambitious commander but of insignificant birth and suspicious of foreign customs.
Outnumbered Kegen and his followers fled southwest in 1043 and finally sought refuge with the Greek Emperor, whom he came to serve in 1046.
Pressed by the Uzes, Tyrach and the other clans followed suit and in 1047 crossed the beyond the banks of the Danube to find new land and to settle his score with Kegen.
Failing to defeat the combined forces of Kegen's tribes and the imperial army Tyrach submitted to the Emperor, just like Kegen had done the year before.
But while many nobles accepted the Greek religion and customs forced upon them by their new master, they were not willing to give their life to defend the far flung empire.
Dispatched to Anatolia in 1048 to help repel a Seljuk invasion the Pecheneg leaders decided, shortly before the battle, that it was not their fight and went home instead, invoking the displeasure of the emperor.
Having subsequently thwarted a imperial punitive expedition in 1049, the Pechenegs have since then ruled their own affairs, much to the emperor's annoyance.

Culture:
fc3c687f-65f6-4d15-a63d-518caa0d860a_zpshwymctr1.png

Yes that is a lot of Pecheneg. Both banks of the Danube have been ravaged by invading armies for centuries, this relative vacuum have made space for the Pechenegs to dominate the scene along both banks.

Religion:
406b8c2c-b398-4812-9180-33a6f36fa141_zpslbcall4f.png

While the military might of the Greeks failed in imposing Greek customs on the Pechenegs, their faith has so far been more successful in gaining inroads.
However not all follows the new orthodox beliefs, Tegrisim and Manichaeism is abound among both high and low, and some of Tyrach followers have even refused to give up the Islamic teaching he had once imposed on them two decades earlier.

Tyrach now a man of old age, still leads the Pechengs.
a0f1b1af-49a6-443e-ace7-00e46fe4e906_zps3ujbrvua.png

Kegen on the other hand finally met his end, at the hands of own people. Send as an envoy of the Emperor he was most treasously cut down while meeting his kin under an armistice.

1066%20house%20of%20Kegen_zpsq1rgsaxc.png

But his death is not the end of his interference with the affairs of the khan, Kegen's two sons are still at large and have found refugee at two different hostile courts. Both sons undoubtedly now plot revenge for their father’s murder.

The Blackcaps:

1066%20blackcaps%20de%20facto_zps8z6wjafz.png

The Uzes, the Oghuz bane of Pecheneg ambition, has fared less well than their former foes. Within a decade of displacing their enemies they too were displaced from the open grasslands by an emerging force from the east.
Broken and battered by the Cuman horde, they forged a tentative understanding with their northern Russian neighbours to serve as axillaries under the Blackcap name.
To retain what little land and freedom they had the blackcaps spend the following decades continuously switching their allegiance back and forth between the two unfriendly giants.
1066%20russia%20de%20facto_zps3xg2shq0.png

This has kept their tentative autonomy in the harried borderland safe, but should one side finally prevail over the other, full submission to the victor appears inevitable.

Finally I leave you with a slightly less safe Russian starting position, the Principality Tmutarakan which is now independent.
1066%20russian%20interesting%20start_zpsyhn7uz2r.png

That is all for today, in the next DD King will lift the lid on what the Greeks have been upto.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Clearly, the Pechenegs ought to just deviously Swear Fealty to the ERE and devour the empire from within before regaining independence. That is, if their titles don't get revoked...

Reactions:
May I ask why Wallachia is pecheneg?I never knew the pechenegs butchered all the romanians and bulgarians in southern Wallachia and northen Bulgaria also Suceava is Turkish?

Reactions:
May I ask why Wallachia is pecheneg?I never knew the pechenegs butchered all the romanians and bulgarians in southern Wallachia and northen Bulgaria also Suceava is Turkish?
I know that the Pechenegs who settled here were assimilated into the local populations. I'll looks into some books and hope that I find something about the nomadic populations on Romanian territory.

Looks like the Southern Wallachia was indeed trashed and depopulated and was used by nomads, the Romanians having fled to safer places: mountains. In 1046 pretty much all of the Pechenegs cross the Danube into Byzantium and are fully defeated in 1091 by the Greeks. Maybe some sort of events could simulate the way the Pechenegs were assimilated into the local populations.

Looks like the Southern Wallachia was indeed trashed and depopulated and was used by nomads, the Romanians having fled to safer places: mountains. In 1046 pretty much all of the Pechenegs cross the Danube into Byzantium and are fully defeated in 1091 by the Greeks. Maybe some sort of events could simulate the way the Pechenegs were assimilated into the local populations.
Source?

Well if you say that in 1046 all of the pechenegs crossed the danube shouldnt that mean that in 1066 there are no pechenegs in south wallachia and if 1091 they were defted that means that by that time wallachia and moldavia should be fully romanian.Also were iasi and suceava turkish?

Well if you say that in 1046 all of the pechenegs crossed the danube shouldnt that mean that in 1066 there are no pechenegs in south wallachia and if 1091 they were defted that means that by that time wallachia and moldavia should be fully romanian.Also were iasi and suceava turkish?
-Until the foundation of Moldavia, the dominant populations in Moldavia were Turanic ones as it can be proven by the many toponyms of the area, but I think Suceava was Romanian.
-The name Iasi comes from the Alans who inhabited the area: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/FormatiuniPoliticeRomanestiSecolele_IX_XIII.jpg . Not sure if the Turkish elements or the Alan ones dominated in 1066.
-I know that Southern Wallachia was depopulated, but the nomads had a tendency to stay in the Baragan. So maybe Severin would be Romanian as it's the farthest away, but I'm not sure.

In addition: The foundation of Moldavia mentions a migration of Romanians from Maramures to its lands. Is Maramures Romanian? I haven't seen it.

Last edited:
I may be remembering things incorrectly, but the Rus seems like it was changed a little bit too, is it correct?

-Until the foundation of Moldavia, the dominant populations in Moldavia were Turanic ones as it can be proven by the many toponyms of the area, but I think Suceava was Romanian.
-The name Iasi comes from the Alans who inhabited the area: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/FormatiuniPoliticeRomanestiSecolele_IX_XIII.jpg . Not sure if the Turkish elements or the Alan ones dominated in 1066.
-I know that Southern Wallachia was depopulated, but the nomads had a tendency to stay in the Baragan. So maybe Severin would be Romanian as it's the farthest away, but I'm not sure.

In addition: The foundation of Moldavia mentions a migration of Romanians from Maramures to its lands. Is Maramures Romanian? I haven't seen it.
-The alans left the place long ago
-Maybe ialomita should be pecheneg but severin and turnu not at all

Those new province borders are simply beautiful. I am going to enjoy rampaging my norsemen across them.

The equivalent area of Maramures on the SWMH map is inside province #522 Szatmar as far as i can see. And yes, that province is Romanian and Orthodox

Edit: You can just see it on the screenies, and it is actually Romanian and Catholic. I might have a little chat with Aasmul about that

Last edited:
-The alans left the place long ago
-Maybe ialomita should be pecheneg but severin and turnu not at all
There was an Alan tribe in the area in the 13th Century, which ran from the Mongols with the Cumans: the Jassy -> Iasi (the city today). They later took refuge in Hungary when the Mongols came. In 1066, probably a Turkish tribe inhabited the area, considering the fact that the area got the name not from the Romanians, but from other people.