• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Crimson Drakon

Captain
66 Badges
Mar 21, 2013
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Knights of Honor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
Shadows of Carpathia
A CK2 to EU4 Wallachian AAR

Țara Românească de Dinastia Basarabilor, Movilestilor
și Welfilor
(The Romanian Land of the Basarab, Movilesti and Welf Dynasty)

shadowscarpathiaIntro.jpg

(Mihai Viteazul entering Alba Iulia- 19th century painting)

I welcome you to my first EU4 AAR- a continuation from my CK2 Game where I begun as Ioan Basarab- the Founder in 1310 and managed to form the – fictional- Empire of Carpathia consisting of the in-game kingdoms of Wallachia, Hungary and Serbia. If you are interested, the CK2 Report was named Curtea Domnească de Basarab - A Wallachian AAR (The Royal Court of Basarab) which you can find it here , it may help with becoming familiar with characters, folklore and beliefs which are native to the history which was shaped at the CK2 Game but not exactly similar to the historical reality(warning, may be image heavy!).

I will present a prologue as an introduction to this AAR and I would be more than glad to potential game strategies or tactical errors you may see since I am a very new EU 4 player!

It goes without saying there are no hard feelings towards Catholics, Paulicians and so forth ;)

shadowsinterlude1.jpg

CONTENTS

Book 1: Împăratul(Emperor) Ioan Iosifescu Basarab cel Rău(the Cruel)
Part 1:A historical error of transcription

Part 2: The White Knight of Carpathia

Part 3:Rivalry of the Children of Rome

Part 4: A turning point of Carpathia

Part 5:The Bulgarian Conflict

Book 2: Împărăteasă(Empress) Ioana Basarab(1446-1494)
Part 1: The Rise of an Empress and a Time of Revolts

Part 2: A revolution of a people, a vassalage of another. An Age of Religion

Part 3: The Croatian Jewel to the Carpathian Crown

Part 4: Placating the Ilkhanate- The Purge of Poland - An Unexpected Opportunity

Part 5: A Litany for Carpathia I- The Carpathian Merchant Chrysobull and the Siege of Constantinople

Part 5: A Litany for Carpathia II- The Sortie of Constantinople/An Unholy Alliance/The Betrayal of Tarnovo

Part 5 :A Litany for Carpathia III- The Disease of the Împărăteasă/The Tartar Menace/ A Clash of Borjigins/ Conclusion of the Merchant Chrysobull War

Part 6:The Time of Recovery and the Religious Unity of Carpathia. The Defenders of the Paulician Faith

Part 7: The Revenge of the Tartars

Part 8: The abdication of Empress Ioana

Book 3: Împărat Vladislav I Basarab(1494-1495)

Book 4: Împărăteasă Ioana Basarab Călugăriță(the Nun)(1495-1532)

Book 5: Empress Khorijin I Borjigin of Tartaria(1532-1541)
Part 1: Heiress to an Empire

Part 2: From the Rich to the Poor

Part 3: The Viceroy of Carpathia- The Conclusion of the War of Succession

Book 6: Împăratul Radu Movilesti(1541-1566)
Part 1: Libertate sau Moarte- Freedom or Death/The War of Carpathian Independence

Part 2: The Hero of Carpathia- An inappropriate love- A dream from a different age

Part 3: Back into the Future?

Part 4: Prince Csongor's Education- The tale of the Russian Princes

Part 5: All is fair in love and war?

Part 6: A lost Rurikid- Împăratul Ioan’s claim on Ruthenia

Part 7: The War for Ruthenia - Carpathia crosses the Dniester River

Part 8: Radu Movilesti, the Ruthless Powermonger

Book 7: Împăratul Csongor Movilesti(1566-1615)

Part 1: The Emergence of the Tartar Basarabs- The Entrance to the Golden Gate of Kiev

Part 2: Prince Iosif's Ambitions- The Carpathian Patrimony on Albania

Part 3: The Honor of Prince Iosif Movilesti – The Partition of the Byzantine Empire and the Demise of Austria – Lost Vitae

Part 4: From Sorrow, Love - the Znojmo von Habsburg Insult to Împăratul Csongor – The Carinthian Regency

Book 8: Czarina Paraschiva Welf(1615-1684)
Part 1: The Young Czarina – The Habsburg Coalition against the Carpathian occupation of Wien – The Polish- Carpathian Punitive War

Part 2: Paraschiva Welf weds the Gospod' Kiyeva – The Carinthian Tax Reformation – Theophanes’s illness – The Pirates of the Black Sea and the Protection of the Romanians of Kyzyl-Yar

Part 3: Baptism of the Russians – The Nordic Coalition – The Defense of Carinthia – Reclaiming Travunia for Imperiul Carpației

Part 4: Travunia reunites with the Imperiu – The Muslims advance further into Asia Minor – The Union of the Russian Catholics with Carpathia

Part 5: The Grace of the Țarița Paraschiva- The Carpathian Purge of Tartar Heresy

Part 2: The Crusade to Restore the Antiochene Patriarchy/ Carpathia enters the Holy Land and Jerusalem/ The emergence of patriotic liberal movements in the Empire

Part 1: The national-patriotic movements intensify/ Greece begins to be integrated in the Imperiu/ The March to Alexandria / The Carpathian Purge of Papal Heresy

Part 2: The League of Orthodox Transgression/ The Stigmata of Teodora Welf/ The Collapse of Tartaria/ Greece is absorbed by the Imperiu/ The Carpathian-Papal Imperialist War

Part 3: The Schism is Mended- The Carpathian Company sends its regards

Last edited:
Prologue: How the Imperiul Carpației(Empire of Carpathia) came to be

(A Passage from Ioan Iosifescu Basarab’s Book: Courtly Advice to a Royal Princess)

As I have mentioned to you before, our great ancestors the Basarabs are the founders of the illustrious Imperiul Carpației(Empire of Carpathia) to which you, my child, will rule with all the careful steps I have taken so Divine Providence will not abandon our homeland Carpathia, which encompasses the great Carpathian Mountains and sprawls on both sides of the Danube until the Great Sea.
shadowscarpathia_prologue1.jpg

(Basarab I at Argeş - Old iconographic depiction at Curtea de Argeş Monastery)

Ioan Basarab

Your great-great grandparent, Ioan Basarab was the supreme founder of the independent Voivodate of Wallachia. You should know that in the ignorant courts of the West and to our envious brothers in the Basileia Rhomion(the Byzantine Empire)* he was called as “the Usurper” for acquiring the Voivodate of Transylvania from the Regency Council of Duke László Kán. He was the vassal of King Károly d’ Anjou, the King of Hungary and Croatia until the King was defeated by your ancestor and captured in the battle of Usora
shadowscarpathia_prologue2.jpg

(Dezső sacrifices himself protecting Charles Robert. by József Molnár, oil on canvas in 1855)

shadowscarpathia_prologue3.jpg

(Nicolaie Alexandru-old iconographic depiction)

Nicolaie Alexandru Basarab

A worthy son of his father, Cneaz(King) Nicolaie Alexandru Ioanescu Basarab was the first King of the Vlachs. When he ascended to the throne, he was Voivode of Wallachia and Transylvania and through good fortune, he acquired the Voivodate of Moldau from the fickle Mongols of the Golden Horde, who had adopted our righteous faith from our then Russian brothers. Sadly, their conversion was but a lie and as you know, they now vow to Paulicianism which is especially popular to the northeastern fringes of our Empire in Taurica.
shadowscarpathia_prologue4.jpg

(Vladislav Vaicu- iconographic depiction)

Vladislav Basarab

King Vladislav- My First Uncle- was named the Strange by the common folk for his obsession with innovation and ideas which were quite peculiar to the Orthodox Creed. It is possible you may have heard the local stories about the famed “Basarab Curse” although all these are fictional tales to scare children. He was a misunderstood man ahead of his time and the ruins of his Observatory Tower can be seen even today.
shadowscarpathia_prologue5.jpg

(Stefan cel Mare)

Nicolaie II Alexandru Basarab

My cousin Cneaz(King) Nicolaie II Alexandru Basarab was named the Holy for his restoration of the Ecumenical Patriarch to the Throne of Constantinople from the Genoese Merchants(who had transformed it into a Grand City). As tradition says, he took up the cross and sword in repentance for the sins of his father, who was alleged even practicing the Dark Arts. Unfortunately the City was grasped by the Basileus David Palaiologos, my other cousin, who was equally zealous of his Catholic Creed.
Catholicism was adopted by the Greeks in exchange for military aid against a nomad tribe named the Turks. Now both Catholicism and the Turks live in some parts of Asia Minor with efforts from my nephew Mircea Basarab, the current Basileus, to integrate them to the Basileia Rhomion

shadowscarpathia_prologue6.jpg

(Mircea the Elder)

Mircea Basarab

I should also remind you of my nephew and your cousin, Mircea Basarab, the current Basileus of Basileia Rhomion, who was installed by my Second Uncle- Împăratul Carpației Dracul Basarab. Mircea Basarab is the son of Nicolaie II Alexandru and Princess Agne Palaiologos and with our aid of Carpathia, he managed to retain the throne of the Greeks and bring them back to Orthodoxy. They still call him the Usurper, however recently they have taken to poison his ears with lies to restore Rhomion to glory and retake the lands of Serbia which are part of our Empire. Hopefully disaster will be averted and he will return to his senses and cooperate to keep the flame of Orthodoxy alive.

It should be noted that after Mircea’s arise to power, many Greek scholars had fled to the West, seeing his rule as a return to the dark ages of mystical Orthodoxy in contrast to the light of the Western advances. However there are Greeks who have traveled to our lands through the Voivodate of Cărvuna near the Great Sea, the named Fanarioți(Phanariotes) who are close to the Ecumenical Patriarch in Constantinople and kin to our ideas.

shadowscarpathia_prologue7.jpg

(Vlad Tepes 1460 painting)

Dracul Basarab- First Emperor of Carpathia

Împăratul Carpației Dracul Basarab- my Second Uncle and the one who formed the Empire of Carpathia and emerged the Vlachs as a regional power. King of the Vlachs and de facto ruler of the Hungarians, he legitimately established the Empire when the Kingdom of the Serbs came to his possession after a war with the Nemanjic family, from which he shared roots through Malina Nemanjic, Princess of Serbia.

As great statesman he was, so too was his named tarnished by the West, for his war against the Catholic Greeks. He was called the Cruel, the Impaler and so forth, denying his rise to Emperor in a sea of Kings and petty Dukes.
shadowscarapthia_prologue8.jpg

(Joan of Arc- Millais)

Vasilica the Maid of Maramures

In his age, the Maid of Maramureș rose to prominence and lead the knights and warriors of Orthodox Carpathia against the Catholic-then Basileia Rhomion. She ascended to Heaven as a Saint and an Angel, in the battle of Philippopolis which was a sound Orthodox Carpathian victory.
shadowscarapthia_prologue9.jpg

(Dragos I of Moldavia)

Stelian Basarab- Second Emperor of Carpathia

The Second Emperor of Carpathia was my cousin Stelian Draculescu Basarab Voinicul- the Strong. You may remember him hunting at the great Transylvanian Woods and bringing to our Royal Court many exotic game- deer, rabbits, boars. It is a shame his name was tied to the Great Darkness, the bankruptcy and lawlessness which followed the unsuccessful war against the Pope of Rome to renounce the Latin Rite. Bad tongues also tied him with a court scandal with a lady in waiting who then married Prince Vilhelm of Carpathia. His grief for the loss of his son, Prince Vlad, was great and to him I owe my ascension to the throne of the Empire.

shadowscarapthia_prologue10.jpg

(Bogdan III Fresco, found in Sf. Nicolae Domnesc Church in Iasi, latter destroyed.)

Ioan Iosifescu Basarab- Third Emperor of Carpathia

As of myself, the third Carpathian Emperor, Ioan Iosifescu Basarab, my ascension, although glorious, is marked with the inheritance of my cousin: a land trying to recover from the Great Darkness, religious disunity spreading from Orthodox to Catholics to outright heretical Paulicians and a minority of Sunni, people of many speeches and beliefs, it remains to be seen if Providence will retain Carpathia and its people or they will be divided by their differences.

*Rhomion instead of Rhomaion as the Greeks commonly call themselves (Rhomioi), a corrupt form of the latter.

Last edited:
Book 1: Ioan Iosifescu Basarab cel Rău

Part 1: A historical error of transcription

In a mouldy library of an old Orthodox monastery, the monks transcribed works and tomes of history in an effort to save these documents from decay. Their dates varied and some aged as far back as the Great Darkness.

A young monk calligraphically copied the words from an old book to a new parchment. However, burdened by the work which needed attention to detail, he carried with error the numerical: a 1447 became 1444 and he found out after he came to read what had been copied in the end. Filled with immense anxiety, in an effort to conceal his blunder, he “corrected” the number even on the original book and so it was that the rise of Emperor Ioan Iosifescu Basarab cel Rău(the Cruel) did not take place at 1447 but rather 1444. The monk even went as far as illustrated a map which read “Year of our Lord 1444 - 11 November- Rise of Împăratul Carpației Ioan Iosifescu Basarab cel Rău”

chapter1_1_shadowscarpathia.jpg

“It is just a number, what else could go wrong?”

Was it only for a single year, the young monk, prone to accident, transcribed in passages the names of Ioan and Ioana without discretion, blaming it to the poor quality of the original work through the ages. So it was that some parts of Carpathian Late Medieval History such as the Religious War for Galich is disputed to have taken place under Ioan or Ioana’s rule. Or even if Galich was a battlefield or the main objective of the wars.

Despite those slights, fortunately through other sources, Carpathian history remained intact and survived, even from human accidents.

11 November 1444(?)- The Royal Court of Basarab

chapter1_2_shadowscarpathia.jpg

A portrait of the third Carpathian Emperor: Ioan Iosifescu Basarab was titled “cel Rău” or the Cruel because of his persecution of the Mongol Paulicians when he was named Hospodar of Taurica(an area named in Latin encompassing the Crimean peninsula).

As a character he was envious of the greatness of his nephew Basileus Mircea Basarab of the Basileia Rhomion and of the Kaiser of the Holy Roman Empire. Still, he was proud of his Basarab heritage and in an effort to battle the fiscal difficulties his cousin had caused from an unsuccessful war, he became temperate with his needs but quite demanding on his tax collection. As of his physical appearance, he was not pleasant to look at: he was one eyed, his right foot was clubbed and his left foot maimed. Combined with his sense of pride, he was carried around by servants in a litter wherever he went. If he suspected anyone pitying his physical fate, his wroth was easily unleashed.

Sitting by the fireplace, Ioan Iosifescu Basarab wrote with a quill upon a leather bound book, often staring at the fire, then continuing his writing. It was the only thing that could help him forget the pain the loss of his good foot caused him and the difficulties he had with his other one. It could have been worse though: his cousin Nicolaie Alexandru II the Holy was inflicted with a disease and his blackened hand caused his demise in the end. Not wishing to share the same fate, he immediately ordered for his foot to be cut off, when he was struck by a Mongolian peasant who protested about the high taxes he imposed.

A young woman came by his side and kissed his forehead. It was his beloved daughter, Prințesă(Princess) Ioana Basarab, the one who he placed his hopes to bring Carpathia out of the darkness.

“Tată(Father), again you write and write…what for? Our people cherish the Basarabs and their deeds and the nobles too drink in your health!”

chapter1_3_shadowscarpathia.jpg

Prințesă(Princess) Ioana Basarab. Skilled in court diplomacy, she was known for her humble nature and charity towards the common folk of Carpathia. A kind woman, nevertheless it was whispered her looks could be deceiving as when she was angered, she turned from an angel to an outright demon. The portrait has illustrated her kindly as it was known that she was thrilled with cuisine and hosted lavish festivals in her times.

The old Emperor let a bitter smile

“My dear child, how innocent you are.. the men and women who approach you with smile and glee are but playing their role..already it has been known that they wish to vote another Emperor, the “venerable” Voivode of Timis for his content nature so the Council of Boyars can run him over with their demands and lead Carpathia to ruin and vassalage to the Holy Roman Empire or to the Greeks….”

He continued

“But I shall see that this land does not sway from the Grace of Basarab or God and you will inherit one day all this. Just give me time…”

She nodded while listening. Her father had a gregarious nature and could keep talking for hours…

“As of why I write this, well, as you know, the world does not look with great animosity our achievements”

chapter1_4_shadowscarpathia.jpg

“It is natural for Bahris, the Egyptian Sultan and the Marinids, distant Berber Sultans to view us with distrust. So too about Tartaria, from the moment they split from our Holy Church and became Paulicians, infusing their old Tengri beliefs with “Christian” traditions. What of Basileia Rhomion though? Our Orthodox Brothers in Christ? The letters I have received from my nephew have become more and more distant as he has aged. Perhaps the Greek Palaiologos advisors have been poisoning his mind and heart and forgetting who supported him and for what reason.”

The Princess replied:

“Maybe one day you could go and visit Uncle Mircea in Constantinople. I am sure it is a misunderstanding, the pressure to bring back to Orthodoxy the common folk must be tiresome.”

The Emperor nodded

“Maybe so…even in our realm, not all follow the Orthodox creed. Furthermore, the people are split with the most rebellious being the Mongols in Taurica. As long as Tartaria supports them, they will never break free from their beliefs.”

chapter1_5_shadowscarpathia.jpg

chapter1_6shadowscarpathia.jpg

(Gypsy family-Mihály Munkácsy)

The mixture of peoples in the Empire was impressive: the most prominent group were the Vlachs who at the Early to Middle Renaissance had begun to name themselves as “Romanians” after their cultural dialogue with the Basileia Romaion(or Rhomion in a corrupted Greek form) and the Holy Roman Empire. The Hungarians, since a century or so had passed when the lands were mastered by Vlach feudal lords, had begun to unite themselves as people with the Vlachs, being called in Late Medieval records as Ungrovlachs and constituting one group. Other groups were the Serbians, the Croatians, the Greeks of Dyrrachion and finally the Mongols in the Crimea Peninsula.

A knock on the door broke their dialogue. With discretion, a servant entered, announcing the arrival of the summoned knight. Prințesă Ioana knew when it was time to retire, to let her father become the Emperor of Carpathia once again and deal with the matters of the realm. She hugged him and left the room, giving a glimpse once she exited.

shadowscarapthia_prologue10.jpg

(Bogdan III Fresco, found in Sf. Nicolae Domnesc Church in Iasi, latter destroyed)

To the world he was a one eyed- lame and deformed Emperor, twisted by nature, cruel and austere as the reputation of the Basarab were. But for her she was a different person, a man of great spiritual strength to fight to remain in life and power so that one day the family will continue to rule this Empire and not be split by the crows and vultures which surrounded it. And she had him to thank for.

Last edited:
Nice introduction, and good explanation for the years :D. Good luck in EU IV!

Nice introduction, and good explanation for the years :D. Good luck in EU IV!

Thanks!! I'll probably need it ;)

It is really amusing to see at least 10 different national factions springing up as potential revolutionaries namely Serbian nationalists, Hungarian Nationalists, Greek Nationalists and so forth when in CK2 all that was pretty much needed most of the time was a modestly loyal vassal to supervise the area... anyhow, I am learning the ropes :)

Part 2: The White Knight of Carpathia

Împărat Ioan Iosifescu Basarab examined the young knight who appeared before him.

chapter2_1shadowscarpathia.jpg

(http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Battle_of_Kosovo,_Adam_Stefanović,_1870.jpg)

Apparently, to be given imperial audience, this man had to be of some skill and renown, although the Emperor himself was not aware of his reputation. For him vouched the Viceroy of Serbia and Chancellor of the Imperiul Carpației, Vukasin Nemanjic, who was granted this title by his late cousin Stelian, the previous Emperor.

chapter2_2shadowscarpathia.jpg

For Ioan however the Chancellor was a necessary evil: they had formed a bitter rivalry from the time Ioan was Hospodar of Taurica and a vassal to the Emperor. Vukasin Nemanjic was of the spending money philosophy in order to host extravagant festivals and dances, in a time where Carpathia was living in a time the later historians called the Great Darkness. Still his hedonist approach had earned him many friends and useful associates and in time managed to cement new alliances for Carpathia.

The young knight removed his helm and presented himself

“Măria ta(Greatness), my name is Dan Vilhelm, First Knight of the Order of St. Vasilica. His Highness Vukasin has prompted me to come before you in audience with the hope to appear useful to the Carpathian cause with my skills, as well as present a report of the realm of Serbia instead of our Lord Chancellor , who is improving our diplomatic reputation to foreign realms. I hand to you this parchment”

The Emperor received the scroll from the young knight and read it. There was some progress concerning the apostate Paulician and Bogomilists in Serbia but not as much as to guarantee the full alignment with the Orthodox Faith.

Meanwhile, the Emperor studied the knight. He was a tall man, of broad shoulders and had a commanding aura, a man who was as if he had sprung from fairy tales to play the role of the White Knight. In an age where the people were lacking a figure to lead them to new victories, perhaps this follower of the Order of St. Vasilica, the very person to whom Orthodoxy still lives, can fit as a figure to inspire the people to the cause of Carpathia… a test of his abilities would be in order

“Dan Vilhelm is it… are you a Vlach, a Serb or…?”

The knight glanced at the floor

“Your Greatness, my heritage traces to the people of the Empire although I feel more connected to the Ungrovlach tradition myself…”

“And how did you come to meet the Viceroy then?” asked the Emperor

“My Order has been travelling the Empire in search of misguided souls who have been lead astray by false teachings…Paulicianism in particular… it is our duty to show them the error of their ways and bring them back to the true path. From our work, the Imperial Marshal, Vespasian Pertinax, who hails from Zeta, heard of the Order’s toil and came in touch with the Viceroy, who then prompted me to Your Majesty…”

chapter2_3shadowscarpathia.jpg

A contemporary portrait of Vespasian Pertinax, a famed military advisor and Imperial Marshal under the reign of Emperor Ioan

It seemed plausible…

“Very well Dan Vilhelm… be sure that you will be called for again, as our Empire will need capable commanders who are sensitive to our faith and are zealous to promote it. You are dismissed”

With his leave, the Emperor opened a map of Europe and observed it closely. It seems the knight knew half the truth: the Chancellor was on his way to Bulgaria to meet with less loyal voivodes and ensure the Empire’s interest in Kosovo- an area which rightfully belonged to Serbia and was grasped by the Bulgarians when the Serbians were embroiled in a succession civil war, before Emperor Dracul’s rightful crowning as King of Serbia as well.

chapter2_4shadowscarpathia.jpg

“Let us see if Dan Vilhelm will be up to the task. I will not allow my nephew Mircea, the Basileus to grasp under the pretext of Rhomion the rich gold mines of the area… however we will placate and see where the Greek advisors are leading the events…”

This looks quite promising. Sadly, I won't get a chance to catch up on your CK 2 AAR with me spending most of my time writing my own. Looking forward to see how your inexperience will guide your nation.

This looks quite promising. Sadly, I won't get a chance to catch up on your CK 2 AAR with me spending most of my time writing my own. Looking forward to see how your inexperience will guide your nation.

Thank you for your interest! This is why I posted the prologue to give a brief summary of what happened all about in CK2 and hopefully one day if time allows to catch up the real AAR report. As of how things will go, well whatever happens it will go to the end and maybe make a nice story!

Part 3: Rivalry of the Children of Rome

Constantinople, 26 November 1444

The Carpathian Ambassadors are welcomed in the Imperial Palace of Constantinople. Ever since the Basarabs had restored Orthodoxy to the Basileia Rhomion, the dialogue between Greeks and Vlachs had been restored, as relationships were marred when the Greeks denounced the faith in order to attract Crusaders in their fight against the Turkish Sultans. Now both Catholicism and the Turks are a past for the Basileia, however their defeat by the Vlachs was a humiliating experience and even at that day, there was a constant rivalry between Carpathia and Byzantium for the control of the Balkans.

Needless to say, many of the court advisors were the Palaiologi- the former ruling Greek dynasty who returned to the Orthodox faith begrudgingly at sword point by Mircea Basarab.

The years though and life at Constantinople had taken a toll to Basileus Mircea himself, who begun to think and act more Greek than Vlach and adopt the Greek customs and manners. His role however remained conciliatory to the demands of the Greek nobility against the Carpathians.

chapter3_1shadowscarpathia.jpg

(http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Palaio.jpg)

A depiction of Basileus Mircea Basarab- in GrecoRoman standards

The reception to the palace was less than warm however. A series of underlying issues caused constant friction between the two true only Orthodox states in a struggle to prevail the one over the other.

“Great Basileus, we implore you and recall your Valahian roots, please reconsider your decision!! Why does Valahian wool and iron be taxed so high to be traded in Constantinople when even the Genoese merchants are granted better trade rights?”

A Palaiologos advisor, glaring his eyes like a snake replied instead of the Basileus, who looked as if he was sinking upon his throne

“The Valahians have their own trade port in the region in Ragusa, to which through the Adriatic can very well trade their goods..in fact our trade nodes are in competition and you should be glad the rate is as it is now. Do we not know of your merchants who try to push our trade to your markets? Nothing escapes our gaze!”

“Our Imparator Ioan of Carpathia…”

“Your Czar you mean, there is no Imparator other than the Basileus, we have granted you with most grace the title of Caesar of Carpathia and in a corruption to your tongue is called Czar I believe…”

The Carpathian Ambassadors were beginning to become distraught

“Surely our Orthodox brother…”

“Ah indeed we now call upon religion when you yourselves have broken off from the Mother Church of the Ecumenical Patriarch and have elevated yourselves in a Patriarchate of your own, in clear contrast to the canonical rules of the Pentarchy…you should have been in the sphere of Constantinople, not have autocephaly…”

“We were granted this stature ….”

“….when Constantinople was a Grand City and the Ecumenical Patriarch was in house arrest, under duress… a Metropolitan Carpathia should have and more to the value of the region…”

“ENOUGH!!”

Basileus Mircea rose from his throne. He had enough with the bickering.

“Carpathian Emissaries, we thank you for your visit. Sadly though the law is the law and unless our dear uncle makes concessions to the Ragusa tradeport, which the area from time immemorial was Byzantine, I am afraid I cannot do more than as it has been said..”

The Ambassadors bowed their heads. Before leaving though, they expressed their deep sorrow for how the pride of Carpathia, Mircea Basarab, tutored by the Saint Vasilica, had become a pawn of Greek prejudice.

chapter3_2shadowscarpathia.jpg

The conflict between Carpathia and Byzantium is unavoidable. The war will become a bloody one though. A conflict this early on could decide the course of both nations for the centuries to come.

subbed again

The conflict between Carpathia and Byzantium is unavoidable. The war will become a bloody one though. A conflict this early on could decide the course of both nations for the centuries to come.

Indeed the potential restoration of the old Byzantine borders coupled with the trade interests in the area have broken potential uniting factors such as common ancestry and religion. It remains to be seen who will emerge victorious from this clash

subbed again

Thanks! Glad to have you about in this AAR as well! :)

Part 4: A turning point of Carpathia

Puzzled and outraged by this turn of events, Emperor Ioan knew that Basileia Rhomion could not be counted any longer as the natural allies of Carpathia as it happened during the past.

Quite paradoxically, as any communion was cut between the northern Paulician Russian principalities and the mighty Paulician Tartar Khaganate, he had to choose for the lesser evil in an effort to counter-balance the military strength of Byzantium: so it was through careful examination of rivalries and hostilities, that Carpathia formed a military alliance with Austria and Sicily, the first eyeing the remnants of the Croatian Kingdom and the latter resenting the Byzantine influence.

chapter4_1shadowscarpathia.jpg

He felt uneasy allying himself with the Catholics, the same people who as Hungary once upon a time converted Vlachs away from the Orthodox faith and led Basileia Rhomion astray so much as to make war to restore them back to their Orthodox path.

He hoped in the future, the light of Orthodoxy would shine brighter than before and the heretics especially would repent for their sins. Towards this direction, due to the death of the disputed Patriarch of Carpathia, he appointed a new promising cleric by the name Ioustinos Titus of Serbia

chapter4_2shadowscarpathia.jpg

chapter4_3shadowscarpathia.jpg

(http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Arsenije_III.jpg)

Ioustinos Titus, Grand Orthodox Inquisitor of Carpathia and Patriarch of the Imperiul Carpației

Ioustinos Titus was a man of great zeal and with the support of the Empire, he preached the rightful, orthodox creed of the Church to its inhabitants. It was true that in the past, the Basarab rulers fought with fervor to eradicate heresy and keep the Catholics under control, however it was from the time of Emperor Ioan that an organized movement was founded. The Episcopal Council of Severin, in Oltenia strengthened even further this resolve, although its conclusion was not satisfactory and the schism with Paulicianism was ever existing

chapter4_4shadowscarpathia.jpg

As time passed by,the provinces of Hungary, long loyal to the Pope, had begun to denounce their union with Rome and instead turned (firstly) to the Patriarch of Carpathia and then to the Ecumenical Patriarch in Constantinople. This though was not done with ease: there were many who resisted this forced conversion and amongst the more prominent were the Mongols. For the moment, it was a kettle boiling at fire with no sign of the flame being reduced.

Not surprisingly, as Carpathia had forged bonds with Byzantium, court intrigue was rife and the biggest reason was the elective system that was established with the formation first of the Kingdom of Wallachia then the Empire of Carpathia. Until thus far, eligible candidates were only nobles of Basarab lineage however a legal loophole allowed other prominent voivodes to apply for the position of Emperor.

Needless to say this caused quarrels between the nobles and during Emperor Ioan’s reign it peaked: it was unthinkable for a woman to be the heir apparent and future head of the Empire, much as her roots were noble and indeed of the founders of both Wallachia and the Empire.

chapter4_5shadowscarpathia.jpg

So it was that such a pretender arose by the name of Carol Telegdi, Voivode of Timis, who was the heir apparent by the nobles speculative vote. Of course, Emperor Ioan took all the measures that the Empire would not go out of Basarab hands and especially out of Ioana’s hands.

chapter4_6shadowscarpathia.jpg

Even beyond extreme human diligence, fate or whatever power may be had other plans, in a twisted side. To those who had read Emperor Ioan’s book, it was known that the Emperor had also a firstborn son by the name of Iosif. However the Emperor had disowned his succession since he disobeyed his father’s will and married to a rich boyar lady, with the term that the children would be of her lineage.

chapter4_7shadowscarpathia.jpg

Desperate times though called for desperate measures: on the 17th of October 1445 the mighty Basileus Mircea closed his eyes forever, perhaps falling victim to his extreme stress and the pressure of the Greek nobles.

chapter4_8shadowscarpathia.jpg

With surprise, since Mircea Basarab had no male living heirs and the Byzantine law at that time dictated a male offspring, Iosif Basarab was called to become the new Basileus of Rhomion.

Of course Iosif complied and with his father’s ousting , correspondence between the two states was minimum to none.

The prospects were grim: Byzantium was outright hostile, the Tartars were ever looking for an opportunity to strike and the new found military alliances had yet to be tested.

The Time of Great Darkness had yet to be lifted from Carpathia.

Those alliances might be useful but one can never count on AI. Until the Byzantines are defeated, there can be no true peace for Carpathia. The idea of spreading Orthodox across Europe is an ambitious plan that requires many generations to accomplish.

Those alliances might be useful but one can never count on AI. Until the Byzantines are defeated, there can be no true peace for Carpathia. The idea of spreading Orthodox across Europe is an ambitious plan that requires many generations to accomplish.

Verily, the alliances are more of a detternce for an expansionist move from Tartaria or Byzantium than actual allies who would be ready to help essentially in a war agaisnt Byzantium.

It had not crossed my mind a European spread of Orthodoxy but more humbly a Carpathian unification and especially a weeding out of Paulicianism. But it could be a plan for the future, who knows!

Part 5: The Bulgarian Conflict

15 November 1445

Târgoviște, Wallachia

In the Imperial Palace of Carpathia, the news were buzzing. The Imperial Chancellor and Viceroy of Serbia apparently discovered the evidence that the neighboring nation of Bulgaria, apart from drifting away from Orthodoxy when their Queen decided to become Catholic to appease her Polish husband, wrongfully occupied Kosovo, an area long belonging to the Serbs.
chapter5_1shadowscarpathia.jpg

Emperor Ioan was certain that such evidence was true. The chaos that ensured in Serbia was common ground to the cultural belief of the Empire, before Dracul Basarab became King through his affiliation with Serbian Nemanjic royalty.

“Orders for the 1st Army of Carpathia!”

A scroll was handed to Dan Vilhelm, First Knight and now Commander of the Carpathian Army.

It read:

“Dan Vilhelm,

You are to march to Bulgaria with your forces and meet what resistance they will put against you. You are not to worry: their army is no match to our own and few are those who are loyal to the Queen. For long, the nation has been struggling with their interior affairs and the populace should be welcoming to the Carpathian march, to restore order and the faith to the land.

Împăratul Carpației

Ioan Basarab”

With marching orders, Dan Vilhelm rode to the capital of Bulgaria, Sophia in order to engage the loyalist army. However, as it was reported, they had already departed and begun to besiege Plodviv, in an effort for the Bulgarians to incite unrest amongst their brethren, who were under Carpathian yoke for many years.

15 December 1445

Plodviv, Southern Carpathia
chapter5_2shadowscarpathia.jpg

(http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Nicopol_final_battle_1398.jpg)

What should I write to the Emperor? This was no battle, this was manslaughter. What pride should I take when our thousands of troops stood against the few Bulgarian loyalists who desperately tried to siege Plodviv?
chapter5_3shadowscarpathia.jpg

Not a man was left alive of the main Bulgarian army. All that is needed is to siege the Bulgarian domain and victory is ours. Be as it may, the men have been inspired with our victory and note its symbolic meaning when in the recent past, Vasilica fought the Catholic Greeks on the same ground our troops today fought the Catholic Bulgarian loyalists.

While her victory was astounding, I myself cannot really take pride in this…

A voice interrupted Dan’s personal reaccounting of the battle

“Commander! Commander! News from the capital! Our Emperor rests in Hristos(Christ) and the Army must return at once!”

In an awkward silence, the army with hesitation shouted

“The Emperor is dead…Long Live the Empress!!”
chapter5_4shadowscarpathia.jpg

Dan Vilhelm pondered for a moment. For the first time in the history of Carpathia, a woman would be the Empress reigning over the many people who settled the Carpathian basin and beyond, with their multitude of faiths and petty politics.

He made his way to return back to the Imperial Capital of Târgoviște thinking of what was to come. Would the Împărăteasă (Empress) stand up to the task? Or would Carpathia be split asunder, with Byzantium under her brother’s rule waiting for the time like a vulture to pick on the carrion remains?

I always enjoy when EU IV doesn't put the same emphasis on female rulers as CK 2. In CK2, this is simply spelling for trouble. In EU IV, the people couldn't care less as long as the new ruler is competent. The war with Bulgaria should end shortly. Will a wider front benefit you or Byzantium more?

Well, Bulgaria didn't put up much of a fight... remembering the good old days of no constant army maintenance and them being the attacker, it seems.:D

Subbed

I always enjoy when EU IV doesn't put the same emphasis on female rulers as CK 2. In CK2, this is simply spelling for trouble. In EU IV, the people couldn't care less as long as the new ruler is competent. The war with Bulgaria should end shortly. Will a wider front benefit you or Byzantium more?

Probably AI Byzantium would benefit from a wider front, EU IV AI I have noticed is way more triciker than CK 2, unless I havent managed yet to grasp its logic :D Still for the moment I am content to play the bigger fish versus the smaller ones as long as it can last :)

Well, Bulgaria didn't put up much of a fight... remembering the good old days of no constant army maintenance and them being the attacker, it seems.:D

True indeed, if by chance you remember, Bulgaria used to pull tricks like this and attack across the Danube and were it not for Vasilica the 30+ martial skill leader, the Bulgarian Band would rout instantly and Wallachia destroyed... well this time I gathered everyone and crossed the river instead, having them as the main target :)

Thanks! Hope I will keep your reading interest along the way :)