• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lièvremont addresses the Chamber:

"Messieurs, His Majesty's government puts forth the following bills for careful consideration. Given the request for further funds realized by the Minister for Finance, we maintain a healthy surplus in the Treasury, a part of which should be employed in government programmes that intend to help the most disadvantaged. In that intention, the following laws are proposed so as to enshrine the importance of these matters and guarantee a righteous expense of Treasury funds. Je vous remercie, et vive le Roi!"

It is determined:

§1. That the Chamber authorizes the subsidy of 4 million francs to local bureaux de bienfaisance

§2. The subsidy is to be partitioned between the bureaux de bienfaisance which take on the following activities:
§2.1 Providing advances for impoverished artisans to buy tools necessary to their work
§2.2 Providing shelter and board to vagrant rural and urban workers
§2.3 Providing assistance and medicine to rural and urban paupers

It is determined:

§1. That the Chamber authorizes the grant of 4 million francs to the Institutes d’Agriculture

§2. The grants shall be used in the following order of priority:
§2.1 Funding the endowment for new buildings and laboratories
§2.2 Funding scholarships and promoting enrollment in prominently rural regions
§2.3 Funding new staff contracts and administrative fees

Auberjonois rises

If the Deputy for Ardeche believes with such vitriol that the French army is not capable of defending this nation of our's borders. Then why does he support spending such limited funds on first designing and then equipping the entire army with their own uniforms. Over practical reforms and spending? Does he believe the Non Commissioned and enlisted men of the French Armed forces are not deserving of a 10% pay increase?

Does he believe the men who fall to protect his freedoms, freedoms which he will so easily deny in the name of his utilitarian ideology don't deserve to know with their dying breath that their wives and children won't be forced into poverty? Does he believe a french soldier does not deserve dividends for the sacrifice of his youth for the defence of the nation and its people. Or perhaps he believes that more important than practical reforms to the supply and organisational structure of the army, is the delight of his eyes upon seeing better men, Better and braver Frenchmen March by in a myriad of different colours.

I am sure they'd agree when deployed in Africa, or defending our liberties abroad that their Gold uniform, decided and defended by a man whose military experience probably stretches no further than unsuccessful attempts to seduce the widows of deceased heroes, is far better than food in their bellies or balls for their gun.

Letter to his Highness the Prince de Polignac (Private - @m.equitum)
From Capitaine Jean-Michel Antoine de la Vallée

Your Highness,

Allow me to express my most heartfelt gratitude at the aid so selflessly offered by yourself, in assisting with the publishing of my book. Without the gracious sponsorship of Your Highness I am uncertain if my work would have been in vain, as it seemed increasingly unlikely that I might have succeeded in attaining a publishing contract. For this generous act I am truly in your debt.

I may not be a man of much influence nor affluent wealth, but Your Highness may rest assured that if the opportunity ever presents itself I will endeavour to repay your act of kindness.

It puts my mind at rest to know the Navy enjoys the support of such a magnanimous, and respected figure such as yourself. Like Your Highness I too stand with the conviction that the appointment of the General Changarnier, to a position of the highest importance in His Majesty's Government, might imply a much needed change in the Governments attitude towards the reformation and modernisation of our military forces.

From our encounter - however short - in Toulon I have gained the impression of Your Highness as a genuine and knowing soul, an impression that has only been reinforced by this correspondence. I am honoured by our cordial acquaintanceship and the kind words offered by Your Highness regarding your remarks concerning my person to the General MachMahon.

I pray Your Highness remains in good health

Jean-Michel Antoine de la Vallée
Capitaine de vaisseau de la marine française

PS:
I have taken the liberty to include in a package
delivered with this letter a copy of my book
I hope Your Highness may find it to be
in order with Your expectations.

The following article is run in Le Consitutional

WAR HERO FIRED

Genéral du Corps d’Armée Godefroy Raymond de la Rhône was fired last week from the French army by the Minister of War. Just weeks prior to being fired suddenly and unceremoniously from the army he had recently been given a peerage by the King for his long years of diligent service to France. By all accounts of officers under his command de la Rhône was showing no signs of slowing down and was doing his job as diligently as he was 16 years ago when first given this particular command. .

Prior to his abrupt firing de la Rhône was the commanding officer of the XII Corps stationed in Bône, Algeria. De la Rhône had held that particular command for sixteen-years by the time of his firing. During his time as Genéral of XII Corps he has also acted as “Provisional Governor-General of Algeria” from 1850-1853 while the office was vacant following the 1850 revolution. A man intimately familiar with the Algerian situation, his arbitrary dismissal will only serve to hurt our Algerian colony.

The Government's official claim on the matter is that de la Rhône was “relieved” of command because of his age. However, De la Rhône contests this statement on two accounts. The first of which being:
“Old in Age I might be, but I am neither infirm nor incapable. I neither want to retire nor do I need to retire.”
His second statement regarding this is that:
“Normally these things are precipitated by a mistake, or at least a notice that they will be relieved of command. I was only told the day my replacement came that he was to be my replacement.”

De la Rhône’s argument seems particularly valid in the wake of the great success that Austrian Field Marshal Radetzky has had in the last 20 years. Field Marshal Radetzky in 1830 was the age that de la Rhône is currently, yet in the last 20 years he has single handedly defended Austrian Italy from a coalition of Italian powers while outnumbered. He now sits as Viceroy of Lombardia-Venetia well into his 90’s. In the wake of the success of someone such as Radetzky it seems foolish to dismiss any General who is still perfectly capable of command and who has the desire to do so. Especially, a man such as de la Rhône who has served in every French war since 1807. There are not many in France more experienced than him in the art of war and his loss sorely hurts our already poorly situated army.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*snip*
((Letter to Comte du Rhone @Otto of england ))​

Dear Comte

I am most pleased by your acceptance. The Alliance will greatly benefit from your insight and experience of the conditions in Algerie.

I also note your advice that you are to return to France in the near future. The cause of the removal of such an esteemed warrior from an area of ongoing agitation is astounding, to say the least. I can only hope that we do not suffer any reversals in fortune following your departure as such omens will hang heavily upon the Government responsible for removing the bulwark of our defence in North Africa.

In any event, I will be happy to make arrangements for Rothschild
Freres
to provide a line of credit to you and your family to assist in your transition back to Paris.

On a more commercial note, I would also appreciate the opportunity to meet with you to discuss the possibility of drawing upon your expertise in the field in another venture which I am pursuing. I am planning on setting up on armaments factory in Lille, to take advantage of the steel produce by my factories in that area, and in anticipation of the obsession for rearmament which seems to have lately overtaken the Government after so many years of neglect since the fall of the Republic. In addition to existing models, I would appreciate your input with our artisans to develop more modern small arms and artillery pieces. Your experience in Algeria will be of immense assistance to give us an edge over the more theoretical experiments of our rivals.

I wish you a pleasant voyage back to Paris, and await your company at your earliest convenience.

I remain, dear Sir, your devoted servant,

Jacques de Rothschild

Dear Monsieur de Rothschild

I find it most intriguing that you speak of opening an arms factory in Lille, because this was what I was thinking of doing in Paris. However, if you are willing, I propose that instead of each of us running our own arms company to varying degrees to success we combine our efforts. To that end your experience in running business will come at as a great boon, and my experience in the military will be a great boon in research and development of military arms. To this end I think it best if we combine our efforts for an arms factory in Lille since as you mentioned you own steel industries in the region. We can discuss each of our personal stakes when we meet in person.

I should note though, that I do intend to still open a factory in Paris proper so I would greatly appreciate a line of credit from Rothschild Freres. Assuming we can come to an agreement over an arms factory in Lille this factory will have a different purpose. Its particular purpose will be determined at a later date by myself as I need to see where the market flows.

Yours,

General Godefroy Raymond de la Rhône, Comté de la Rhône

Last edited:
The American War

FROM THE FRENCH AMBASSADOR TO THE VICOMTE DU BESSIN (@DensleyBlair)

4GbGH1w.jpg

Monsieur le Vicomte,

I hope that my letters of the past weeks have expeditiously arrived in Paris, for today I write to you (August 9*), on the state of war that presently exists between the United States and the Mexican Empire, presently assisted by Her Majesty's Government. The insoluble matter of the Oregon territory, the ineluctable immigration of the Americans into the Western territories, and the fresh antipathy of the new Palmerston government to the Government of the United States has produced this unfortunate event. Yesterday the Congress declared the War on the Mexican Emperor and the United Kingdom, and hastily Mr. Pierce ratified their decision. The President is deserving of equal blame, Monsieur le Vicomte, for his sympathies have remained invested with that faction** most expressive of views antipathetic to aristocratic governance and the current equilibrium in North America.

We should concern ourselves not principally with the outcome, but with the ramifications of the conflict; I would anticipate a severe blockade on the ports of the United States, and the products that are readily exchanged in the continental import docks. Monsieur le Vicomte, in accordance with your express wishes, I have conveyed to the Secretary of State our absolute neutrality, and I urge that you extend these sentiments to our embassy in the United Kingdom....

Your Servant,
The Comte de Flahaut

**The 'Young America' movement

Notice to Cereal Producers
From Les Lignes Chemin de Fer du Nord

Dear Sirs,

Please note that in the event that the proposed Bill is passed for the discounting of current rail transport rates for cereals, the Northern Railroad Company will cease to transport cereals except for producers who are either vendors to Louis-Dreyfus Rothschild SA, or have a line of credit account with Louis-Dreyfus Rothschild SA.
We regret that all other cereal producers will have to find alternative means to transport their produce.

This is because the proposed rate is uneconomical to efficiently and safely transport your produce on our line. It is unfortunate that the Government has seen fit to impose an arbitrary discount of rail rates, to the prejudice of the Rail companies compared to all other modes of transport. It is to be hoped that they may reconsider the effect that their policies may have upon the viability of the Rail companies and their customers in the long term if they seek to interfere in the operation of the free market.

This policy also applies to all Lines associated with the Northern Railroad Company, Louis-Dreyfus SA and Rothschild Freres.

Chairman
Ligne CdF du Nord

Last edited:
From the private diary of the duc d'Orleans;

20th of August 1857,

Having completed my period of staff service my thoughts now turn to the agreeable duty of holding active duty command in Algeria. Any day now the War Ministry will deliver my orders and I shall be off. Until I report to my uncle Nemours in Algeria, news of war between the United States of America and the United Kingdom is the topic of discussion during mealtime and how we shall turn this to France's advantage the question asked by all. Britain's decision to prop up the Mexican Empire is a curious one. I would have thought the British learned that an island cannot subjugate a continent and the number of Europeans immigrating to the United States grants that republic vast manpower reserves with which it can tap the blessings of its natural bounty. Lord Palmerston is a meddlesome man and I doubt my august grandfather would have appreciated his cavalier attitude and perfidy towards the powers of the world. I can only hope the Americans bloody his nose and the British Queen replaces his ministry with one more well disposed towards inward perfection.

Beyond the usual duties required by my service in the Royal Army, there are matters important to my station my uncles have leaned on me to take a larger interest in. The Saint Louis Foundation has continued its role in educating France in the middle way and I can only find praise in the way my uncle Nemours has employed it to adorn our house with more glory. If only he would consent to taking an active role in front-line politics then perhaps he could straighten out the nonsense going on in the legislature. This debate between opposition backbenchers over military reform is of great interest to us serving France if only because it may delay actual reform. It is common knowledge M. Descombes is opposed to any military expenditure that does not line the pockets of himself and his friends. I can only pray that some relief come to both the Army and the Navy as all servicemen know both are in dire need of investment and support.

Then there is the related matter of the naming of naval vessels. It seems like an innocuous thing at first glance but within the proposal and the prince de Rohan's amendment is the fundamental problem that goes unanswered; will the party of the senior line ever admit to my grandfather being king? The difference in opinion between my dearest mother, my uncles, my educators, and the reigning king and his court makes this is a touchy question. I could never deny my grandfather's legacy and indeed, I believe even our king realizes that in my time such a question will be definitively answered in favor of Philippe VII's legitimacy but now is not the time to bring up a topic. My grandfather's inscriptions have not been defaced and he continues to reside with his ancestor kings at Saint-Denis, that is good enough for the moment for me but not enough for others.

After all, if we are patient with such a criminal as Nadeau remaining in the Pantheon to quiet the more subversive elements of East Paris, then to let the party of the senior line pretend my grandfather was a mere Lieutenant-General of Realm at the moment is a small price to pay for them keeping quiet when one day I ascend the throne.

---

A letter arrives by courier with instructions for M. Dentend;

Dearest Uncle,

I hope all is well with you and your family and I especially enjoyed the Iberian oranges you had sent to my posting. I hope to visit within the month, right before I have to report for my next assignment.

You wrote to me a few weeks ago on ministry business and potential for expanding our transportation portfolio. Since then more on the matter of railways has been brought to my attention by a series of articles in Le Constitutionnel, I actually had hopes that they would have returned to carrying more in the way of literary critiques but lately it has been nothing but petulant garbage and rehashes of complaints by the comte de la Rhone, and Le Siècle protesting the ministry's proposed railway regulations as giveaways to farmers. If the Rothschilds want to refuse grain freight in protest then let us march in to fill the void. Even if we lose money we can capture market share and leverage our support to gain more concessions from the ministry in support of our canals in central France.

We should increase our holdings in both the Compagnie de Paris à Strasbourg and Compagnie du chemin de fer de Montereau à Troyes and unite their operations to form a large enough railway operation to compete with the Chemin de Fer du Nord, in light of M. Rothschild's choice to war with the ministry I doubt the government will oppose our move to consolidate. Our aim will be to then move for a Paris to Soissons concession to box our competition into Flanders with no easy outlet to expand operations into Eastern France.

As always, the fine details are left to you and our usual friends.

Sincerely,
Orleans

Last edited:
A JOINT ANNOUNCEMENT TO CEREAL PRODUCERS
From Louis-Dreyfus Rothschild and Les Lignes Chemins de Fer du Nord
To Our Valued Vendors and Associates

Louis-Dreyfus Rothschild is pleased to announce that it has negotiated special rail transport concessions to our customers.

To all individual producers and Agricultural Cooperatives who sell their produce to Louis-Dreyfus Rothschild, the Northern Railroad Company will assume full responsibility and liability for the consignment upon delivery of the grain to an authorised LDR agent at one of our depots positioned around France. You will incur no costs or charges for transport as Louis-Dreyfus Rothschild will assume ownership and responsibility for the produce.

To all producers and Agricultural Cooperatives who take trading overdraft accounts with Louis-Dreyfus Rothschild, the Northern Railroad Company will provide concessional rail transport rates for your produce at One-Third of the present rates, regardless of whether the Government introduces its rail cap or not.

We do this as an act of good faith to you, our customers, to demonstrate the partnership between Louis-Dreyfus Rothschild and the agricultural community of France. We value loyalty between friends and we believe that such loyalty should be rewarded by offering a rate which helps our friends, you, have more money to spend.

These terms are open for acceptance at all LDR offices. They apply only to our friends, the Vendors and Account Holders of Louis-Dreyfus Rothschild, and are not available outside of our partnership or to those who elect to leave our partnership.

Make an enquiry today! Come join the Louis-Dreyfus Rothschild partnership!

Dear Monsieur de Rothschild

I find it most intriguing that you speak of opening an arms factory in Lille, because this was what I was thinking of doing in Paris. However, if you are willing, I propose that instead of each of us running our own arms company to varying degrees to success we combine our efforts. To that end your experience in running business will come at as a great boon, and my experience in the military will be a great boon in research and development of military arms. To this end I think it best if we combine our efforts for an arms factory in Lille since as you mentioned you own steel industries in the region. We can discuss each of our personal stakes when we meet in person.

I should note though, that I do intend to still open a factory in Paris proper so I would greatly appreciate a line of credit from Rothschild Freres. Assuming we can come to an agreement over an arms factory in Lille this factory will have a different purpose. Its particular purpose will be determined at a later date by myself as I need to see where the market flows.

Yours,

General Godefroy Raymond de la Rhône, Comté de la Rhône
((Letter to the Comte de la Rhone @Otto of england ))

My Dear Comte

I have no desire to work at cross purposes to yourself. I am more than happy for your new factory in Paris to be devoted to armament production. I foresee great advantage to us both, as the Paris factory can operate as the forum for experimentation and refinement, and we can expand on production once your work has perfected the desired weaponry.

A business associate of mine, Leopold Louis-Dreyfus, has referred to me and acquaintance of his from his home province of Alsace, a M. Antoine Chassepot. Messrs Louis-Dreyfus and Chassepot are of a very young age when all the world seems to be before them and they are both very enterprising in their imaginations, although the former turns to arbitrage whilst the latter turns to invention. M. Chassepot has been working on trying to build a model of rifle which can load the Minie ball cartridge via a chamber near the flint pan rather than via the muzzle. The Prussians are already using such a weapon but M. Chassepot assures me that he can do better. I have taken the liberty to refer him to yourself so that you may enlighten him as to the practicalities of the operation of rifles in battle, and to work with him on the finer points of the engineering.

I have also given instructions at Charbon Francais to add your factory as a priority client for our steel production. Please do contact the Northern Railroad Company representative at the Gare du Nord to organise the protocols for receipt of deliveries and payments on consignments.

I remain, dear Sir, your obedient servant,

Jacques de Rothschild

********************************************************************************************************************************
((Letter to Prince Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte @etranger01 ))
4 Charlton Gardens
Londres

My Dear Prince

I am happy to report that I have made a very fruitful new friendship with a young Alsatian, M. Leopold Louis-Dreyfus. Although still only in his 20's, he has shown an uncanny business acumen when it comes to the buying and selling of agricultural produce in bulk. Initially, our association began with the use of my rail lines but as I noticed the large amount of carriages used to move the vast produce of France, I was determined to know the man who had created such an empire of food in such a short time. Truly, he is the Bonaparte of the Breadbasket, if you will forgive my appropriation of the family name. I believe you would be most impressed by this young man's drive and insight.

M. Louis-Dreyfus and my family have entered into a joint venture which will revolutionise the farms of France. The Agricultural Cooperatives have become little more than bucolic National Workshops, riven with inefficiencies and lethargy that only State subsidies can engender. Our new joint venture, Louis-Dreyfus Rothschild SA, will turn food production and supply on its head by using the sound principles of Baron Turgot, the use of private enterprise, the reward for ingenuity and the harnessing of invention to multiply resources. By combining a dedicated rail network, the supply of credit to producers to improve their holdings in exchange for their goods, and offering our services as the middleman to negotiate the fair price for the purchase and sale of rural land, we can act as a catalyst to drive the efficient forward and winnow out the unprofitable.

To this end, I would greatly appreciate your update on the new process you were discussing with Sir Henry. Any new inventions which assist in the production of steel would be worth its wait in gold for my foundries in Lille. And any byproduct which would assist the farming community with fertiliser would provide Louis-Dreyfus Rothschild with a very important advantage in attracting more producers to join our association. If time permits, I will travel to Londres to speak with Sir Henry and yourself directly as such an opportunity sounds too good to pass up.

I remain, my Prince, your most obedient servant,

Jacques de Rothschild

Last edited:
His Majesty’s government makes the following proposal:

Law on the Grants for the Land Programme of 1856

On the interest of increasing the productivity of the French countryside, the Chamber authorizes the grant of 100 million francs for the Land Program of 1856, under the following directives:

Part I. On the use of the grants

§1. The Ministry of Agriculture and Trade shall use the grants to establish a fund for the financing of the Land Program of 1856
§2. The activities of the fund are to be reported monthly through the official press, for public transparency

Part II. On the relationship between the Unions Agricoles and the Ministry

§1. The Ministry, as the supervising and funding entity in regards to the Unions Agricoles, has the ultimate power of decision over their proceedings
§2. Although such power may be delegated in ordinary issues, the Ministry reserves the right of final decision over the land deals taken by the Unions Agricoles, through their respective board of directors
§3. The board of directors has the autonomy to carry on minor tasks associated with the land deals, as long as they follow the disposed Ministry directive

Part III. On the restrictions imposed on the land deals

§1. Each deal must be conducted in full legality and respect for property rights

§2. The plots of land acquired by the Unions must fulfill the following conditions:
§2.1 Be larger than 30 hectares in their totality, to ensure efficient division of the plot for reselling
§2.2 Be defined as unproductive, that is, a plot whose output is valued under the expenses taken in its production
§2.3 have been in possession of the landlord for over 4 years, to avoid speculation

§3. Upon completion of the deal, the land is to be parcelled out in plots of 5 hectares each and resold to local smallholders, hereby defined as farmers with ownership of less than 20 hectares of land
§3.1 To benefit from the deal, the smallholder must be associated to his local Union Agricole

§4. The Ministry reserves the right to:
§4.1 Veto any deal which does not fulfill the dispositions of Article 2
§4.2 Hold inquiries as to the following of these policy directives
§4.3 Impose a penalty of temporary closure upon Unions which do not fulfill the dispositions of Articles 1 and 3, which can be followed by the appropriate civil charges upon individuals

His Majesty’s government sponsors the following proposal:

Law on the Standardisation of Credit Unions

Article I. The Ministry of Finance shall establish a National Credit Union Commission to encourage, regulate and establish communal and, where pre-existing capital lacks, departmental credit unions, in the communes and departments of France.
Article II. Credit Unions shall be based in the nearest Postal Offices to the credit union’s users.
Article III. Each Credit Union is owned by its members and work for the dual goals of the benefit of its members and the local area.
Article IV. Each member of the Credit Union shall have one share and one vote
Article V. Individuals and Organizations in the region wherein the local Credit Union is established and based, henceforth referred to local individuals and organizations, are permitted to open a deposit account in the nearest credit union.
Article VI. Yearly interest is added to each account, at a rate decided by the management of the Credit Union
Article VII. Local individuals and organizations are permitted to open an investment account at their nearest Credit Union.
Article VIII. Credit Unions have the duty to invest in the area in which their users live, or if there are not enough investment opportunities, the area that will result in the highest legal amount of profit.
Article IX. Credit Unions may establish Business links with For-profit private businesses as regulated by the National Credit Union Commission
Article XI. Credit Unions are to be encouraged to work with other credit Unions via financial incentives from the National Credit Union Commission, to be set by the ministry of Finance.
Article XII. Credit Unions are to be encouraged to work with Self governing organisations, such as Union Agricoles. They are to allow for loans to be given in materials, with funds being used to buy seeds or other products directly from these organisations.
Article XII. Local individuals and organisations are to be encouraged to seek loans from Credit Unions when necessary.
Article XIII. Credit Unions have the duty to limit the risks of their users.
Article XIV. Credit Unions are to provide the facilities for local inhabitants and organisations to set up clearing accounts.

A deputy and associate of M. de Charlus, Henri de Riancey, proposes an amendment to the Law on the Standardisation of Credit Union, noticing the lack of management provisions.

Amendment to the Law on the Standardisation of Credit Unions (1)
Article IV. Each member of the Credit Union shall have a number of shares and votes proportional to their investment as a percentage of the total, but no person may exercise voting powers in excess of one-third of the total. The number of votes is fixed on the first day of each month.

Amendment to the Law on the Standardisation of Credit Unions (2)
Article V. Individuals and Organizations in the region wherein the local Credit Union is established and based, henceforth referred to local individuals and organizations, are permitted to open a deposit account in the nearest credit union. Local is defined as the departmental arrondissement.

Amendment to the Law on the Standardisation of Credit Unions (3)
Article XV. A board shall be elected by the membership to manage the executive functions. They are accountable and replaceable by the membership.
Article XVI. The membership shall elect a president to lead the board.

The American War

FROM THE FRENCH AMBASSADOR TO THE VICOMTE DU BESSIN (@DensleyBlair)

4GbGH1w.jpg

Monsieur le Vicomte,

I hope that my letters of the past weeks have expeditiously arrived in Paris, for today I write to you (August 9*), on the state of war that presently exists between the United States and the Mexican Empire, presently assisted by Her Majesty's Government. The insoluble matter of the Oregon territory, the ineluctable immigration of the Americans into the Western territories, and the fresh antipathy of the new Palmerston government to the Government of the United States has produced this unfortunate event. Yesterday the Congress declared the War on the Mexican Emperor and the United Kingdom, and hastily Mr. Pierce ratified their decision. The President is deserving of equal blame, Monsieur le Vicomte, for his sympathies have remained invested with that faction** most expressive of views antipathetic to aristocratic governance and the current equilibrium in North America.

We should concern ourselves not principally with the outcome, but with the ramifications of the conflict; I would anticipate a severe blockade on the ports of the United States, and the products that are readily exchanged in the continental import docks. Monsieur le Vicomte, in accordance with your express wishes, I have conveyed to the Secretary of State our absolute neutrality, and I urge that you extend these sentiments to our embassy in the United Kingdom....

Your Servant,
The Comte de Flahaut

Monsieur le Comte,

I thank you for your dispatch dated August 9th, which I received in good time.

The present state of war that exists between the United Kingdom of the United States is regrettable, and I thank you for having conveyed to the Secretary of State, in accordance with my wishes, the desire of France to remain neutral. Further, I have sent a letter to M. le Comte de Charlus in London advising him of the situation, and requesting that he assure Lord Clarendon and Lord Palmerston of France's position.

That the circumstances in North America have had such an impact on our national imports is unfortunate. I thank you for raising the issue, and shall present it to the council of state at the earliest possible opportunity.

Assured of your capable handling of the situation, I shall await your next dispatch keenly.

I remain,

le vicomte du Bessin

À Monsieur le Comte de Charlus, ambassadeur au Cour de Saint-James’s

(( @Jackbollda ))

Monsieur le Comte,

I write to you having received a dispatch from M. le Comte de Flauhaut in Washington, dated August 9, in which he appraised me of the situation surrounding the territory of Oregon, that is the state of war that presently exists between the United Kingdom and the United States.

The Bourbon monarchy having no business in this affair, M. le Comte has, acting in accordance with my instructions, impressed upon his counterparts in Washington France's commitment to neutrality in this conflict. I write to you, Monsieur le Comte, to ask that you assure Lord Clarendon and Lord Palmerston of the same.

I shall send further advice as the situation progresses.

I remain, your friend and colleague,

Merivée
le vicomte du Bessin

ad741f0fa56aa65cd9c10cd1452bbd8c-full.jpg

MARRIAGE
The union of marriage is announced between Prince Alphonse de Polignac, son of Jules, duc de Polignac and Charlotte, comtesse de Choiseul, and Mlle. Marie-Joséphine Merivée, daughter of Esmé Merivée, vicomte du Bessin and Marie-Hortense Merivée, vicomtesse du Bessin.

Lièvremont addresses the Chamber:

"Messieurs, the outbreak of the American War leads to not only a preocuppation as to the stability of the world but also leads many to foresee a great economic impact to any civilized nation. We have seen time and again how wars which do not directly affect a country may have undesirable effects nonetheless for their people and economy; we strive, as always, to keep France and the French insulated from whatever ills the world around us may concoct. Regarding such possible occurrences, the government takes an active role in the protection of our people's employment and continued prosperity, and introduces the following law for immediate consideration by the Chamber."

It is determined:

§1. That a fund of 25 million francs be set aside from the Treasury to aid French industries which have been affected by the American War
§2. The funds shall be used to invest in alternative sources of raw materials supply in the following manners:

§2.1 Granting subsidies to imports in foreign trade, i.e. attracting alternate sources of machinery imports for French factories
§2.2 Granting internal investments and subsidies to build up a French supply base, i.e. expansion of the cotton culture in Languedoc, Provence and Algeria to supply the French textile industry
§3. Furthermore, the fund shall be allocated to subsidize the operations of the relevant industries to preserve their employment and production, until a trimester after the end of the American conflict

A deputy and associate of M. de Charlus, Henri de Riancey, proposes an amendment to the Law on the Standardisation of Credit Union, noticing the lack of management provisions.

Amendment to the Law on the Standardisation of Credit Unions (1)
Article IV. Each member of the Credit Union shall have a number of shares and votes proportional to their investment as a percentage of the total, but no person may exercise voting powers in excess of one-third of the total. The number of votes is fixed on the first day of each month.

Amendment to the Law on the Standardisation of Credit Unions (2)
Article V. Individuals and Organizations in the region wherein the local Credit Union is established and based, henceforth referred to local individuals and organizations, are permitted to open a deposit account in the nearest credit union. Local is defined as the departmental arrondissement.

Amendment to the Law on the Standardisation of Credit Unions (3)
Article XV. A board shall be elected by the membership to manage the executive functions. They are accountable and replaceable by the membership.

His Majesty’s government sponsors the amendment put forward by M. de Riancey.

War! How exciting. Thankfully it did not involve France as she was not prepared for any sort of conflict at the moment. Perhaps France could extract some concessions from the British or find a way to use the conflict to their advantage. More likely the war would have severe negative economic consequences.

Domadeaux privately hoped for an American victory. It would be amusing to see the British lion humbled and he hoped a defeat of the Mexican monarchy would usher the republicans into power. He dare not make his stance public, however, and risk his emperor's position in Britain.

Perhaps he could track down some Mexican republicans in exile. Maybe some had traveled to Switzerland. It was unlikely, but he could find out.

Letter to the Duc de Conegliano, French Minister of War (Private - @Mikkel Glahder)

Your Grace,

In your position as Minister of War for the Kingdom of France, I humbly request permission to take temporary leave from my commission In His Majesty's Navy, for the duration of the ongoing American Conflict. With the intent of finding service in the Imperial Mexican Navy. In an attempt at aiding in protecting their Nation, from what I find to be an act of unwarranted aggression from the American Government, I stand with a desire to volunteer for the Mexican struggle due to personal, moral and professional reasons.

Rest assured that I will respect your Grace's decision as my military superior. And insofar my request is accepted, I will make it a personal aspiration to embody the values of the French Navy, in proving the effectiveness and professionalism of her Officers, in service of a Nation preyed upon by an expansionistic power. I aim to serve until my conscience finds me to have aided the Mexican cause to the extent of my abilities, allowing me to return home and continue in my duties to France.

Respectfully,

Capitaine de vaisseau de la Marine Française
Commandant du Napoléon

((Joint-IC with @ThaHoward))

Bagnolet, Île-de-France

Henri de Rohan approached the gates to the Lecuyer estate in Bagnolet, this time as an invited guest. He took the time to take in several deep breaths, noticeably nervously, his skin drenched in sweat already. He was meeting with Daphnée’s father, Jérôme, to let his intentions be known so he could associate with his beloved. It was not an easy task, for a father was surely to think the worst of any man pursuing his daughter. Henri had to make certain that he conveyed how dearly he cared for Daphnée and that he would never hurt such a splendid woman as her.

Once at the gates, Henri paused yet again. He could do this. He had to do this. If he ever wanted to be with Daphnée, he had to impress her father. He spent a few moments building up his courage. Before he could finish, he heard a barking sound from down the road. A quick glance to his side revealed the dog from his last visit. With a yelp, Henri rushed through the gates, shutting them behind him. He’d rather face Daphnée’s father than that dog again.

It seemed like an eternity before Henri reached the front door. His nerves were still getting to him. He couldn’t turn back now, nor would he dare. With all the courage he could muster, he banged the door knocker against the front door and waited.

Jérôme had just finished greasing his mustachio and his hair, twirling his facial hair and covered his crown. He looked at himself in the mirror and all he could think of was “splendid”, it was a shame he lost parts of his legs, perhaps if it was still intact it was he who would chase girls around and not this Henri. He had mixed emotions on the expected arrival of Henri de Rohan. His arrival and interest in his daughter made Jérôme quite proud, but still he was not quite ready to let slip of his oldest daughter. She was his jewel and he would go to great lengths to protect her.

Jérôme consulted with his wife, but their conversation was cut off by the barking of Charles. “Blasted dog” Jérôme said and made sure Daphnée were confined to her quarters. The knocker on the door sounded and one of the servants opened it up as Jérôme and Elisabeth went down the stairs to receive their guest. Henri de Rohan was announced, however Jérôme did not approach the young man, not that he had anything against him, instead he refused to humiliate himself by limping toward someone courting his daughter. “Henri de Rohan, welcome to our home. Please make yourself comfortable”, Elisabeth said as she curtsied in front of Henri and escorted him toward Jérôme. Jérôme extended his right hand, while clinging to his sword cane with his left hand, and somewhat roughly said “A pleasure to meet you young man, how may we be of service?”

“The pleasure is all mine,” Henri said, taking Jérôme’s hand and ensuring to shake it vigorously. His father had always told him to give a firm handshake so as to impress a man. He needed every little advantage he could get here, especially since he knew he was not the most impressive specimen, what with being only a few inches over five feet and quite scrawny.

Making sure to keep a pleasant smile on his face at all times, Henri said, “I thank you for agreeing to see me. I understand how dear a daughter is to a father and wanted to seek your permission to see Daphnée again. I have only but fond memories of her from our time together in Bretagne during her visit.”

Jérôme shook the hand of Henri. The boy was at least.. Eager as he shook the hand of Jérôme. Normally such a handshake would impress Jérôme but he was skeptical to the physical stature of Henri. Could such a man foster strong boys for his dearest Daphnée. For now he would set apart his concerns on the physical ableness of the young man, his daughter at the very least was seeing something in this Henri. He listened to Henri as they escorted him into one of the lounges. When they entered the room and sat down for refreshments he pondered on the words of Henri while Elisabeth entertained the guest with some small talk.

“Your words are kind to our beloved daughter”, he said as he twinned his mustache “please, if I may be so frank could you elaborate on where you would take our daughter, and exactly what these fond memories from Bretagne entails?” he said and felt the icy look from Elisabeth who was no doubt feeling Jérôme was stepping over several boundaries.

“Of course,” Henri said with a cordial nod, hoping the sweat he felt drenching his back was not present on his face. “I was thinking of taking her to the Paris Opera. They always put on such spectacular performances, and it is always good to be reminded of all that France has to offer when it comes to arts and culture.”

At the mention of Bretagne, Henri grabbed a glass provided to him and took a long sip, taking the time to collect his thoughts. Best not to let Jérôme know of the more intimate details of the events during Daphnée’s visit to Bretagne. When he put the glass down, he was both calm and confident again, doing his best to ignore the icy look sent his way.

“I have a certain fondness for Bretagne, a rustic paradise so distant from the rest of France, the place I spent most of my childhood. It is always a pleasure to share the wonders of my home with another, and Daphnée seemed to enjoy the splendour Bretagne has to offer.” Henri paused a moment, taking another quick sip from his glass. “I must also admit that I was quite delighted to share the company of a young educated woman. It seems in this day and age that most families are willing to neglect their daughters’ education, believing that they are best suited to stay home and tend to the family. It’s quite a shame, ignoring so much untapped potential. Perhaps recent changes to France’s education laws will see that improve. Regardless, it was simply a delight to converse with a brilliant young woman like your daughter, a rare find these days. I can only assume that such keen intelligence is result of her familial relations or was instilled in her by your fine parenting.”

Where Henri lacked in physical prowess he certainly made up for it in his oratory skills. Perhaps that was the answer to how Henri managed to win the affection of Daphnée, Jérôme was impressed by his appraisals. “Myself having grown up in Paris, Switzerland and indeed even Bretagne know of what you speak of when you address your affection for the countryside. I long back to the simpler life”, Jérôme said and almost got lost in his own thoughts.

Elisabeth chatted a little with Henri, mostly over his remarks on parenting and education, Jérôme on the other hand snapped his finger and whispered something into the ear of the approaching servant. While the servant went out Jérôme had but a simple question for Henri. “Henri, I know your father have been of great service to France. Both in capacity of public office, but also in the capacity as a former officer. Our family have a history of military service. All of my uncles perished during the disaster ushered on by Napoleon, my father served and so did my late brothers. Have you ever served in the Army and Navy?” Jérôme said as he looked toward Henri, he was starting to warm up to the lad. “And those June Days in ‘52, would you say the Armed Forces battled for the glory of France, or are you of a different opinion?” Jérôme said, and his servant returned. At least Henri got time to think over his answer as a carafe of cognac was put on the table, and Jérôme, naturally, offered Henri a drink.

Henri cleared his throat as he took the drink, the topic of the military not exactly something he was overly familiar with. Despite that, he kept a calm and pleasant demeanor and did his best to seem as open and knowledgeable as always. “I’m afraid that I am not suited for military pursuits. My older brother Beau is the one currently serving in the army, something that better suits him than it would me. I am more inclined towards intellectual pursuits. I hope to one day follow my father’s example and serve in parliament, although most likely as a member of the Assembly seeing as it will be my brother one day inheriting my father’s peerage. We must all do what we can to serve our country, and jumping into the world of politics is how I could best do that.”

Henri took a moment to sip at the cognac, letting out a content sigh as he finished. A fine drink, to say the least. Despite that, he put down the glass for now, preferring to only drink in moderation. Unlike his more hot-headed brother, who would likely chug down any alcohol sent his way, Henri was not going to get himself drunk during this important meeting.

“Ah, the June Days,” Henri finally said. He had been fortunate that he had not been in Paris at the time, but he had gotten a full recounting from his father afterwards. “I would not say that the Armed Forces fought for glory, for there is never any glory in being forced to turn on your own people. Rather, I believe they fought for France’s future, to at last provide her with much needed peace and stable government. The Republic was a failed experiment doomed to come to an end and the people of Paris seemed so inclined to drag the Republic down into deeper depths of foul radicalism. Those brave men were willing to risk their lives to ensure France did not descend further into chaos. They did us a great service, for now we can at last enjoy a time of peace and quiet, where France has the chance to recover and prosper. I pray we will finally be free of the spectre of revolution.”

Jérôme was indeed disappointed that Henri had never served in the Army or the Navy for that sake. He had a somewhat childish view that it was in the service of France real men was created. Still he was pleased with his intentions of servitude nevertheless. “That’s a noble calling, and an ambitious one. While some may not be qualified to serve in the military, it is good to hear that you’re a young man of ambition. It can take you places”. Jérôme saw that Henri sipped from his cognac and thought to himself that if he could handle his liquor, he should be able to handle his daughter.

“True, there was no glory in June”, Jérôme approved and respected Henri that he was able to speak his mind and not simply tell Jérôme whatever Henri believed he wanted to hear. “While they did not fight for the glory of France, I must say they fought for her honor”, he said swirled his glass and continued “and for the dignity of France, to ensure the very stability you said. Here’s a toast peace and stability, hopefully you’ll be able to one day serve France for those very purposes”, Jérôme said and toasted his glass toward Henri. The guests small talked some more, but after a few minutes Jérôme again came with another question on a deeper level. “Now tell me M. Rohan, what may you offer my daughter?”

Henri raised his glass in a toast and took a long drink of the cognac. It burned on its way down, but Henri pushed through it. It helped settle his nerves just a bit, and that certainly helped when the topic drifted back to Daphnée.

“I have always been of the opinion that one only truly needs love and respect to create a successful relationship. I suppose that is born from witnessing my parents’ marriage. My mother came from a much humbler background than my father, but that has never diminished the love they hold for each other. Perhaps it seems like silly sentiment, but a union born from genuine affection will bear much more bountiful fruit than one created as a result of political ambition.”

Henri mulled over what he was to say next, since he had to be delicate with his intentions. “But I suppose as a father you wish to ensure your daughter never wants for nothing. Love and respect does not keep a person fed or warm at night. Fortunately, I am not without means. My family is a well established one with deep roots in France. My father has also been quite vigilant in ensuring his children will be able to strike out on their own one day. While the family lands will most likely go to my older brother, my father has recently been involving me in his business affairs in regards to the recent creation of the Rohan-Descombes Manufacturing Company. I suspect he intends for me to help run it one day, and as we have seen in France as of late, the business world can be quite profitable.”

Taking another moment to pause and collect his thoughts, Henri took in a deep breath. He wasn’t sure exactly what kind of impression he was making on Jérôme, if one at all. Honeyed words and polite niceties could only get him so far. Perhaps it was time to take a page out of his brother’s book. “Monsieur, may I be blunt with you?”

Jérôme listened in to Henri, and he remembered the new arms factory created by the Prince of Rohan, he wondered how the factory was going, but now was not the time to ponder of such matters. Jérôme liked that while the Rohans were noble, they had proven they were not afraid to seek out love in spite of whatever social standing of their chosen one.

While Jérôme thought over those things, and that the Rohans were a family of means, surely they could provide for his daughter, he looked toward Henri taking a deep breath, was he bored? Or was he up to something. To his question Jérôme simply said “Yes, please go on” and was genuinely curious of what he was to say.

Henri took a moment to build up all the courage he could. He thought of Daphnée, and that proved all he needed. “I understand that you care deeply for your daughter, and I believe it best that I make my intentions clear. I hold Daphnée dear in my heart, and I believe she is as fond of me as I am of her. Your daughter deserves a happy life, where she is surrounded by those who love her and where she can truly prosper. I wish to be the one to provide her with that.” Henri licked his chapped lips and looked Jérôme in the eyes. “I wish to ask you for your daughter’s hand in marriage.”

Jérôme was baffled at first. He was unsure of what to do. Parts of him wanted to stand up and give the boy a good slap, yet it was quite bold of Henri to make his intentions so.. Clear. What he lacked in physical prowess, he made up for his courage. “I do care about my daughter”, he said and looked toward his wife. “However it comes a time in every man’s life to let his girls to another man. If Daphnée agrees to it I will let you take her to the Opera”, Jérôme said and paled as he prepared to say what he dreaded to say, still he knew the day had to come one day, “and if she wants it I will grant you her hand”. Elisabeth got up and summoned Daphnée so she could meet with Henri. Jérôme held in his tears as she arrived and was ready to depart.

Henri nearly wanted to faint, having overcome the greatest obstacle in his life. Daphnée’s father had agreed. There was nothing standing in their way now. As Daphnée entered the room, Henri felt like his heart was beating loud enough that everyone could hear it. She was just as beautiful as the last time he had saw her. He could never imagine a world without her by his side. Now he would not have to. With as much suavity as he could gather and a sparkle in his eye, Henri gave a bow to the young woman and said, “Mademoiselle, it would my greatest honour if you would accompany me to the Paris Opera this evening.”

Jérôme watched by as Daphnée agreed to the request of Henri, he could never understand why she chose the runt of the litter, but he could see how happy she was. And while he would not show it to Henri it made him, in turn, happy and even strangely enough proud. He looked at them as they departed, and exchanged several words with his wife and he no longer felt compelled to suppress his tears. He then got a hold of his lawyer as they prepared to pen a letter to Henri’s father, hopefully the dowry would not be too much of an issue.

Letter to the Duc de Conegliano, French Minister of War (Private - @Mikkel Glahder)

Your Grace,

In your position as Minister of War for the Kingdom of France, I humbly request permission to take temporary leave from my commission In His Majesty's Navy, for the duration of the ongoing American Conflict. With the intent of finding service in the Imperial Mexican Navy. In an attempt at aiding in protecting their Nation, from what I find to be an act of unwarranted aggression from the American Government, I stand with a desire to volunteer for the Mexican struggle due to personal, moral and professional reasons.

Rest assured that I will respect your Grace's decision as my military superior. And insofar my request is accepted, I will make it a personal aspiration to embody the values of the French Navy, in proving the effectiveness and professionalism of her Officers, in service of a Nation preyed upon by an expansionistic power. I aim to serve until my conscience finds me to have aided the Mexican cause to the extent of my abilities, allowing me to return home and continue in my duties to France.

Respectfully,

Capitaine de vaisseau de la Marine Française
Commandant du Napoléon

Letter to Jean-Michael Antoine de la Vallée

Dearest de la Vallée,

Your request for leave for the duration of the hostilities between the Mexican Empire, Great Britain, and the United States of America, known as the American War, is hereby granted.

I personally wish you luck in your transatlantic adventure.

Best Regards
Maréchal de Moncey, Duc de Conegliano, Minister of War

Letter to Prince Philippe, Prince Royal and Comté de Paris,

Your Royal Highness,

I hope this letter find you in good health.
Due to your royal duties and personal wishes, I have decided to grant you command of the 1st Hussard Regiment of Chartres in Algeria. You are to present yourself in Bône[1] for the adoption of arms. I wish you good luck on your journey and good luck while in command

Best Regards
Maréchal de Moncey, Duc de Conegliano, Minister of War
(([1] It might locate itself in Algiers instead of Bône))

1oaO6BG.png

Government Legislation:

Section One: Hours of work

I. Women and children employed in mills and factories are to work no more than sixty-three [63] hours per week as of 1st June, 1857. This shall be reduced to fifty-eight [58] hours per week after 1st January, 1858.
II. The employment of children under the age of fifteen [15] years in mills and factories is forbidden.
a. All children not in employment are to receive an education, and shall be required to complete a primary education, and a secondary education up to the level of the collège.
b. The age of employed children is to be verified by an approved surgeon.
III. Ninety [90] minutes are to be allowed for meal breaks.
a. Meal breaks must take place at a reserved location within the mill or factory premises, as approved by an inspector.
IV. No work may be conducted at night, that is between the hours of 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.
V. Time keeping is to be made by a public clock, approved by an inspector.

Section Two: General concerns of safety

I. Every fly-wheel directly connected with the steam engine or water-wheel or other mechanical power, whether in the engine-house or not, and every part of a steam engine and water-wheel, and every hoist or teagle, near to which children or young persons are liable to pass or be employed, and all parts of the mill-gearing included in a factory, including power shafts, are to be securely fenced.
II. Women and children are not to be employed in the cleaning of moving machinery.
III. Accidental deaths must be reported to an approved surgeon and investigated.
a. A factory inspector must be notified of the results of all investigations.
IV. Mill and factory owners shall be responsible for cleaning their premises with lime at an interval no greater than every fourteen [14] months.
V. Thorough records regarding compliance with this Act must be maintained, and are to be made available to inspectors upon request.
VI. Local authorities are hereby charged with all powers of inspection.
VII. An abstract of this Act must be hung up in the factory so as to be easily read, and must as a minimum show: the names and addresses of the inspector and sub-inspector of the district; the certifying surgeon; the times for beginning and ending work; the amount of time and time of day for meals, and the location where meals are to be taken.
I. The closing time for public houses shall be set at 11 p.m. in the country areas, and at midnight in the towns.
II. All victualers shall be required to obtain a license of operation from the local authority.
a. An abstract of this license, including the name of the licensee, must be displayed in an easily-accessible location on the licensed premises, where it may be read by patrons.
III. The content of all beers, wines and intoxicating liquors and spirits sold is to be regulated by inspectors of the local authority.
Section One: Qualification of those eligible to receive a pension

I. Civil servants are to be hereby entitled to the receipt of a pension upon the satisfaction of certain conditions of age and service, as outlined below.
II. The right to a pension is acquired after attainment of one's sixtieth year, and after having completed thirty [30] years of service.
III. Those who have been employed in active service are exempt from art. I, and shall instead acquire the right to a pension after attainment of their fifty-fifth year, and after having completed twenty-five [25] years of service.
a. Those considered as having been employed in active service are those who have been employed within the customs office, as inspectors of taxation, within the Royal and state parks, and within the postal service.
IV. Those who have been employed in the civil service outside of France are exempt from art. I, and shall instead acquire the right to a pension after attainment of their fiftieth year, and having completed fifteen [15] years of service.
V. Those who have been employed as ministers of state, councillors of state, members of the royal household, ambassadors or ministers plenipotentiary in the diplomatic corps, or as officers of the Légion d'Honneur are exempt from art. I, and are to acquire the right to a pension at the discretion of the state, of a value not exceeding twelve-thousand [12,000] francs per annum.

Section Two: On the value of the pensions

VI. The value of a pension is to be set at two-thirds of the average salary of a pensioner, as taken over the last six years of their employment
VII. A pension may not exceed six-thousand [6,000] francs per annum, nor descend below seven-hundred and fifty [750] francs per annum.

Section Three: Provision of pensions

VIII. Where right to a pension has not been established at the discretion of the state, the right to a pension is to be established by the local authorities of the prefecture in which a pensioner was employed.
IX. Provision of a pension is to be carried out by the local authorities of the prefecture where right to a pension has been established.
a. Where right to a pension has been established at the discretion of the state, provision of a pension is to be carried out by the state.
It is determined that:
§1. There is to be established a cap on the freight price for cereals within the territory of France.
§2. This cap shall amount to 50% of the current freight price as of 1856.
§3. The cap is adjustable to market conditions, while maintaining the ratio of 50% below market price.
It is determined that:
§1. The concession model currently established for railways shall be expanded to port infrastructure
§2. The length of port concessions shall follow a standard of 50 years.
§3. The alternative of a portuary concession can be introduced for any large-scale projects to improve the current infrastructure in existing harbours in continental France and Algeria.
Article One – Of the armies and troupes de marine.
I. An Institut de guerre, comprised of high-ranking officers appointed by the King shall be organized, which will be tasked with the continued study of military tactics, organization, and operation. It shall be required to present an annual report on the state of the French Army, including recommendations for improvements, to the King and whosoever he selects to be party to that report.

II. The Institut de guerre shall maintain a close relationship with any extant or future military schools in France, helping to develop a modernized curriculum while benefiting from the important role of military education in improving the capacity of theInstitut de guerre in achieving its core objectives.

III. Funds shall be released for the full standardization of modern armaments throughout the armies and the troupes de marine, with the distribution of those weapons to the military being facilitated by the release of relevant training manuals by the Institut de guerre.

Article Two – Of the navies and their auxiliaries.
I. The renovation of the Marine Royale shall be funded in part by a program of private commission, by which individuals may contribute a portion of their wealth to the construction of a new vessel for use by the Marine Royale. A Royally-appointed Fundraising Commission will be organized under the Ministry of Finance, such that the system of private commissioning will prove effective.

II. A census of ships in the Marine Royale shall be conducted by the Minister of the Navy and the Colonies, determining which are capable of being retrofitted for steam capacities. Those which are not shall be decommissioned and sold for scrap immediately following the commissioning of their replacements.

III. The Marine Royale shall be tasked with the fulfillment of all its prior duties, as well as the protection of French commerce in both times of peace and war, the halting of smuggling, and the exercise of French authority at sea. The Marine Royale shall be obligated to pursue the policies of the Kingdom of France, including the achievement of the ends deemed necessary for the national defense.

IV. The Ministry of the Navy and Colonies shall be authorized any additional necessary funds to pursue the construction, modernization, and renovation of ships, not totaling more than 80 million francs, which are to be used in the execution of the aforementioned obligations and duties of the Marine Royale. The new ships shall be constructed in French seaports with materials sourced with a preference from France.

V. Four new frigates utilizing screw propulsion shall be built, as well as eight screw corvettes. The standard armaments for newly-constructed French naval vessels will be comprised of a variable combination of 24pdr long guns, 30pdr Paixhans guns, 42pdr carronades, and 18pdr long guns.

VI. The frigates shall be named Louis XVII, Louis XVIII, Charles X, and Bourbon.

VII. Ten new troopships shall be also be constructed, which will each possess a three gun armament.

VIII. A Marine auxiliaire will be authorized in times of crisis, permitting mercantile vessels to be utilized for the achievement of the basic duties of protecting commerce, opposing smuggling, and defending France during times of immense conflict – during which the Marine Royale might find itself indisposed or under-equipped for the immense burden it could face.

Article Three – General provisions.
I. Pay for soldiers and sailors shall be increased by eight percent, to be introduced by 1858, with an additional four percent increase for officers without commission.

II. A new system of regimental and naval uniforms will be introduced, which shall emphasize the history and unique roles of the various units which comprise the French military. Two million francs will be authorized for re-equipping those enlisted individuals subject to the changes.
NOTE: This law is for parliamentary funding approval for certain terms within; the King retains the privilege to execute many of these provisions under his own powers in the Charter.

On the interest of increasing the productivity of the French countryside, the Chamber authorizes the grant of 100 million francs for the Land Program of 1856, under the following directives:

Part I. On the use of the grants

§1. The Ministry of Agriculture and Trade shall use the grants to establish a fund for the financing of the Land Program of 1856
§2. The activities of the fund are to be reported monthly through the official press, for public transparency

Part II. On the relationship between the Unions Agricoles and the Ministry

§1. The Ministry, as the supervising and funding entity in regards to the Unions Agricoles, has the ultimate power of decision over their proceedings
§2. Although such power may be delegated in ordinary issues, the Ministry reserves the right of final decision over the land deals taken by the Unions Agricoles, through their respective board of directors
§3. The board of directors has the autonomy to carry on minor tasks associated with the land deals, as long as they follow the disposed Ministry directive

Part III. On the restrictions imposed on the land deals

§1. Each deal must be conducted in full legality and respect for property rights

§2. The plots of land acquired by the Unions must fulfill the following conditions:
§2.1 Be larger than 30 hectares in their totality, to ensure efficient division of the plot for reselling
§2.2 Be defined as unproductive, that is, a plot whose output is valued under the expenses taken in its production
§2.3 have been in possession of the landlord for over 4 years, to avoid speculation

§3. Upon completion of the deal, the land is to be parcelled out in plots of 5 hectares each and resold to local smallholders, hereby defined as farmers with ownership of less than 20 hectares of land
§3.1 To benefit from the deal, the smallholder must be associated to his local Union Agricole

§4. The Ministry reserves the right to:
§4.1 Veto any deal which does not fulfill the dispositions of Article 2
§4.2 Hold inquiries as to the following of these policy directives
§4.3 Impose a penalty of temporary closure upon Unions which do not fulfill the dispositions of Articles 1 and 3, which can be followed by the appropriate civil charges upon individuals
Article I. The Ministry of Finance shall establish a National Credit Union Commission to encourage, regulate and establish communal and, where pre-existing capital lacks, departmental credit unions, in the communes and departments of France.
Article II. Credit Unions shall be based in the nearest Postal Offices to the credit union’s users.
Article III. Each Credit Union is owned by its members and work for the dual goals of the benefit of its members and the local area.
Article VI. Yearly interest is added to each account, at a rate decided by the management of the Credit Union
Article VII. Local individuals and organizations are permitted to open an investment account at their nearest Credit Union.
Article VIII. Credit Unions have the duty to invest in the area in which their users live, or if there are not enough investment opportunities, the area that will result in the highest legal amount of profit.
Article IX. Credit Unions may establish Business links with For-profit private businesses as regulated by the National Credit Union Commission
Article XI. Credit Unions are to be encouraged to work with other credit Unions via financial incentives from the National Credit Union Commission, to be set by the ministry of Finance.
Article XII. Credit Unions are to be encouraged to work with Self governing organisations, such as Union Agricoles. They are to allow for loans to be given in materials, with funds being used to buy seeds or other products directly from these organisations.
Article XII. Local individuals and organisations are to be encouraged to seek loans from Credit Unions when necessary.
Article XIII. Credit Unions have the duty to limit the risks of their users.
Article XIV. Credit Unions are to provide the facilities for local inhabitants and organisations to set up clearing accounts.
Seeing that the size of the French Royal Army is not sufficient to protect French interests, we hereby declare:

Article I

§1 the French Royal Army shall be expanded with another army corps.
§2 The new army corps shall be named XIII Corps.
§3 The XIII Corps' headquarters shall be located in or near the town of Verdun-sur-Meuse
§4 The size of the XIII shall match the other army corps in the French Royal Army. [1]
§5 The commanding officer of the XIII corps shall be François Achille Bazaine

Signed
Henri
Counter-signed
B.M. de Moncey
It is determined:

§1. That the Chamber authorizes the subsidy of 4 million francs to local bureaux de bienfaisance

§2. The subsidy is to be partitioned between the bureaux de bienfaisance which take on the following activities:
§2.1 Providing advances for impoverished artisans to buy tools necessary to their work
§2.2 Providing shelter and board to vagrant rural and urban workers
§2.3 Providing assistance and medicine to rural and urban paupers
It is determined:

§1. That the Chamber authorizes the grant of 4 million francs to the Institutes d’Agriculture

§2. The grants shall be used in the following order of priority:
§2.1 Funding the endowment for new buildings and laboratories
§2.2 Funding scholarships and promoting enrollment in prominently rural regions
§2.3 Funding new staff contracts and administrative fees
It is determined:

§1. That a fund of 25 million francs be set aside from the Treasury to aid French industries which have been affected by the American War
§2. The funds shall be used to invest in alternative sources of raw materials supply in the following manners:
§2.1 Granting subsidies to imports in foreign trade, i.e. attracting alternate sources of machinery imports for French factories
§2.2 Granting internal investments and subsidies to build up a French supply base, i.e. expansion of the cotton culture in Languedoc, Provence and Algeria to supply the French textile industry
§3. Furthermore, the fund shall be allocated to subsidize the operations of the relevant industries to preserve their employment and production, until a trimester after the end of the American conflict

Opposition Legislation:

Article 1: An Agricultural Cooperative is for the purpose of this bill defined as ‘agricultural production in which multiple farmers run their holdings as a joint enterprise’. This is to be here on the standard legal understanding of an agricultural cooperative.

Article 2: The Departmental Governments are to be held responsible for informing the smallhold farmers of their department of this bill and grant them the opportunity to form a cooperative based on the model constitution provided (Smallhold being defined as owners with individual plots of land below 20 acres). Assistance shall be provided by the local government in drafting the constitution, keeping the constitution in storage in order to be the final arbitrator on all internal disputes. All changes to this constitution will be given to the local government for administrative purposes.

Article 3: The Agricultural Cooperative will be given the tax status of a business, with tax rates set by the national government, at contemporary levels. The tax burden of the cooperative will be halved for the first financial year, with future cooperatives containing over 50% of the same members forfeiting this right.

Article 4: Communal Land Cooperatives and their members with a 51% vote may merge with the nearest agricultural cooperative, with those owning a stake of the Communal cooperative but not having a stake of ownership in the agricultural cooperative receiving a single vote in all proceedings and subsequent dividend right. In lieu of land owned solely by the communal cooperative being removed from the agricultural cooperative upon its membership leaving the organisation, a proportional sum of money based on their proportional ownership of the communal land will be given to them based on the contemporary assessed land value.

Article 5: The Agricultural Cooperative will have similar regulatory rights as Communal Cooperatives namely:
a. Land values are determined by local commissioners of the nation in cooperation with Cooperative Commission appraisers.
b. Existing estates that enter cooperatives will receive a share of the Cooperative equivalent to the value of their estate in proportion to the rest of the Cooperative.
c. Cooperatives may purchase land, and are allowed to sell this purchased land at a future date.
d. Cooperatives are permitted to allow the incorporation of private estates at conditions set out by the cooperative’s management and the cooperative’s constitution.
e. Cooperatives are allowed to split or merge based on the agreement of the cooperative management in conjunction with a 66% vote by the general membership.

Article 6: The Government will be responsible for reforming the ‘Communal Land Cooperative Commission’, as the ‘Cooperative Commission’, and will be responsible for the national registration of these organisations and land appraisals in relation to these organisations. It’s leadership is to be appointed by the Minister of Agriculture, and future authority may be delegated to it by acts passed in line with the Charter.
Chapter 1. The Opening of Succession

Article 1. Succession is opened on the civil death of the deceased in whose question the property is to be distributed.

Article 2. In cases where several persons perish in an incident such as an accident or murder, where the time of death is indeterminable, the primary designated heir of the inheritance shall be assumed to have perished after the owner of the estates in question, which thereby qualifies the estates as the heir’s property on his time of death.

Chapter 2. Eligibility of Heirs

Article 3. There shall be two ranks of heirs by law, legitimate children born in lawful marriage as the first rank, and children born naturally prior or post marriage as second rank. Children born from adulterous relationships shall have no legal claim or protection of property, rights of household.

Article 4. All children born in lawful marriage shall be considered legal heirs whom shall have first right to inheritance. In cases where there are no legitimate heirs, the natural born children shall assume the same rights as legitimate born children, obligations and protection as those born in wedlock.

Article 5. Male heirs shall always be considered superior to female heirs of their rank, thereby making them primary heirs. As such female heirs can only inherit when there are no male heirs left of their rank.

Article 6. Legitimate female heirs shall supersede the rights to inheritance over natural born male heirs.

Article 7. To be considered a natural born heir to the deceased, the child must be born either prior or post marriage of the deceased, the deceased must during his life time have acknowledged the child as his or her own, to at least three witnesses, one of which a member of the clergy, who can testify to the legitimacy of the parenthood of said child.

Article 8. Should a child not be able to prove to be natural born as outlined in Article 7, but should the child possess evidence either in the form of letters written and signed by the deceased, or any other form of contract which outlines the child of the deceased, then a legal court of France may issue a decree, confirming the status of the child as a natural born child of the deceased.

Chapter 3. Non-eligible Heirs

Article 9. One is considered non-eligible for inheritance if he at the time of the inheritance, was not yet conceived, was a child with poor health and as such unlikely to live, has been declared civilly dead, or has been condemned a traitor to the Republic of France in a French court of law.

Article 10. Any action in which an heir purposely harms the deceased in a manner which caused his death, or long-term permanent injury is also considered non-eligible for inheritance, unless otherwise stated by the deceased where the deceased was considered in a sane state of mind.

Article 11. Should the heir have filed a false or unproven lawsuit against the deceased of which a major crime or accusation such as murder, slander, treasonous actions or any other action which would damage the deceased honour considerably and his social standing, shall also be considered non-eligible, unless provisions have been made under the same conditions of Article 10 by the deceased.

Article 12. Any parent may disown their child as legal heir, thus making them non-eligible, if the child has committed a grave offence either against their person or against the state. To do this, the heir in question must have been condemned by a law court of France, and the parent in question be of sound mind.

Article 13. Any heir who while fully aware of the passing of the deceased; either by natural causes, disease or murder, and has not reported it to the nearest local official, either to state or clergy, but instead has hidden it and is above the age of sixteen years, shall by default be considered non-eligible.

Article 14. Any child of an heir which is considered non-eligible shall still be considered eligible as an heir themselves, as long as they were conceived prior to the action which has made their own parent non-eligible for inheritance.

Chapter 4. Testaments and Wills

Article 15. Any man in France, having reached the age of twenty-one, may write a testament which shall decree and define the future of his estates and assets in case of his death, and he shall henceforth in this chapter be defined as the testator.

Article 16. No testator may grant more than one fourth of his estate, assets or property to any person or persons outside of his own eligible heirs, or the eligible heirs of his eligible heirs which is outlined by Articles 3-6 & Articles 49-50.

Article 17. Any items which is bequeathed in the will, which has been stolen or otherwise not rightfully belonging to the testator, regardless if he is wilfully aware or not, cannot be bequeathed but must return to its original owner.

Article 18. Any landed property, items, goods or assets which has been bequeathed as gifts by a parent or grandparent, who are still alive at the time of the death of the testator, in cases where the testator has no legal heir to inherit, shall revert to the family member who has bequeathed the item, and cannot be passed on in the testament.

Article 19. Any testator may decree that any person, regardless of birth, rank or fortune may be presented as the legatee or multiple to his legacy which includes the testator’s estates and other earthly property and remains, as long as it does not conflict with any previous paragraphs. For the legatee to be considered the testator’s legal heir(s), with all rights belonging to them in the court of the law.

Article 20. The testator may divide his property and assets in any way which he so decides, as long as it does not conflict with the previous mentioned articles in this law.

Chapter 5. Cases of Irregular Succession

Article 21. In cases where no will or testament has been made by the deceased, the primary heirs shall be considered all eligible heirs, as previously outlined in this law under those conditions.

Article 22. In cases as outlined by Article 21, the eligible heirs of the deceased may divide the property, assets and estates of the deceased according to their own wishes. Once divided, both written and verbal consent shall be given in person in front of a French court of law, after which a judge shall assent to the division and confirm its legality. Once done, it shall not be altered.

Article 23. Should the eligible heirs of the deceased not be able to divide the property in a satisfactory manner for all parties involved, and at the request of one party, a judge of France shall preside over the divisions of the estates, property and assets of the deceased, and divide them among the eligible heirs in accordance with the principle of equality.

Article 24. In cases where there are no children by law who are entitled to inherit, the deceased can decree by testament his heir or heirs to be any man or woman whom he may so choose in accordance to his desires regardless of their birth.

Article 25. Should the deceased have died without legitimate heir as defined by this law, as well as leave no testament, then the inheritance shall form as follows: it shall first revert back to the deceased parents. Should both parents have predeceased him, it shall instead go to the deceased’s siblings, then to their children, followed by the siblings of the deceased's father. Should the siblings or paternal siblings either not exist or also have predeceased the deceased, the inheritance shall be assigned to the deceased grandfather, then to grandfather's siblings. Should all of these have predeceased the deceased, and should the deceased have left no heir, the property, assets and estates of the deceased reverts to the state. This can only occur through the paternal line of the deceased.

Chapter 6. The Renunciation of Inheritance

Article 26. Any man or woman in France may renounce any inheritance which rightfully belongs to him or her, either by the right of birth or as a legatee. This must be done before the opening of the will, in front of a judge of France, and once done cannot be repudiated after the contents of the inheritance has been known.

Article 27. Should the primary heir renounce their inheritance, then their subsequent children have no rights to the inheritance either. Any child already born will still be considered a legal heir regardless of their parent’s renunciation.

Article 28. Should the primary legal heir renounce their inheritance, the inheritance shall pass onto the next legal heir, if all eligible heirs and offspring of the deceased renounce their inheritance, then the inheritance shall follow as defined by Article 25.

Chapter 7. The Acceptance of Inheritance

Article 29. Before the opening of the testament, the legal and potential heirs or legatee(s), must inform the reader of the testament that they accept the position of legal heir. The reader of the testament must be a judge, prefect or an ordained priest of the Catholic Church within the province of which the deceased primarily lived. Should all three be unable to fulfill this duty, then a judge may appoint a representative in their stead.

Article 30. Upon the acceptance as legal heir or legatee, the heir takes responsibility for all assets, property or other items bequeathed by the deceased as well as any debt incurred by the deceased.

Article 31. Should there be multiple heirs to the deceased, then the debt owed by the deceased or testator, will be split accordingly in proportion to what is inherited by each benefactor in accordance to Article 22 and Article 23.

Article 32. The main benefactor of each will and testament also takes on the responsibility of acting as the head of the household of the testator or deceased, whether the heir or benefactor be the head of the household regardless of this is irrelevant. The responsibilities here within shall be outlined in Articles 33-43.

Chapter 8. The Rights and Definitions of the Household of the Deceased and Testator

Article 33. The household of the deceased and testator is defined as the immediate family of the deceased and testator. This includes any other heirs of the body who are acknowledged by law to the deceased as well as parents or grandparents of the deceased.

Article 34. The parents and grandparents of the deceased shall not be the responsibility of the benefactor or heir of the deceased, if the deceased is not the primary heir and future head of household to said parents or grandparents.

Article 35. Under Article 8, the household in cases where the deceased has left legitimate heirs to inherit, shall have no obligations to those siblings who are not also born in wedlock, if any such exist, unless they have lived as siblings in the same household as the deceased of a period no less than ten years during the life the deceased.

Article 36. In cases where members of the household are over the age of fifty, and unable to provide for themselves, the head of the household must provide for them to have an acceptable standard of living, within the means of the head of the household.

Article 37. It is the responsibility of the head of the household to ensure proper and good marriages for all daughters of the household to ensure their future.

Article 38. The head of the household shall be considered the legal guardian responsible for the welfare and future prospects of any member of the household who is not yet of age.

Article 39. Following Article 37, it is furthermore the responsibility of the head of the household to provide education and prospects to any male member of the household, or give them a trade of which they in the future can provide for themselves with within the means of the head of the household.

Article 40. Any adult member of the household who does not stand to inherit any material possessions which may secure said member’s future is entitled to a one-time payment to be decided either by the family in front of the provincial court, or by the court itself, or be paid a yearly payment over the course of several years of the same amount.

Article 41. Article 40 is not valid for any member of the household, whom the parents have already, either through securing a trade, property or education for their children, provided them with the prospect of a future, in which they can provide for themselves.

Article 42. Any male child upon coming of age may instead of being provided for by the head of the household of the deceased, request that they be given a payment equal to that which they would have received at the time of passing of the deceased.

Article 43. Article 42 does not apply if the head of the household, between the coming of age of said person and the passing of the deceased, has gone bankrupt or otherwise destitute and as such cannot pay said amount. Article 43 furthermore does not apply if the payment of such an amount, due to financial difficulties, would put the health and safety of the household a whole at risk.

Chapter 9. The Wills and Testaments of Women

Article 44. Any woman may with the permission and blessing of her husband write a will and testament under the guidance of Articles 15-20. Should she not receive the blessing of her husband, her inheritance shall occur as outlined by Articles 21-25.

Article 45. Should a woman under paragraph Article 44 not be married, then the responsibility falls to the head of her household.

Article 46. Should there be no husband or head of household as defined by Article 44 or Article 45 then she is to consult her closest male of kin. Should none of these be present then she may deposit it as she wishes.

Article 47. Should either her husband or head of household prove to be of no sane mind, she may ask either her mother or son permission to write a will.

Chapter 10. The Freedom of the Testator to his Procession

Article 48. No testator or head of household may give away what would infringe upon the inheritance of his legal heirs as defined under the sections of Articles 15-25.

Article 49. The following exceptions to Article 48 would be in forms of dowries for the daughters of the households, or minor property grants which would not affect the longevity or the financial stability of the main estate or assets. Another acceptable exception is the payment of tuitions for male members of the household, in their education or gathering of a trade to secure both their and their future family prospects.

Article 50. Any head of household or testator may grant the primary heir landed property at his discretion throughout the course of his life.

Chapter 11. The Guardian of an Heir or Legatee

Article 51. Should the primary heir or legatee not be of age at the time of inheritance and as such be in need of a guardian, the guardian may not in his action as guardian grant himself part of the inheritance, or gifts received from it.

Article 52. Any heir who has not yet reached the age of seventeen may not write a will of his own, as long as the only benefactors are his legal heirs of his body, and if no such exist the inheritance shall default as outlined by Article 18.

Article 53. At the age twenty-one, the heir of the deceased may include his guardian in his own will as long as it does not conflict with Articles 15-20.

Article 54. Should any guardian be found guilty of theft of inheritance, then he is to be confined to prison for no less than five years and no more than 10. The guardian shall also be charged with returning the stolen items, property or assets.

Article 55. The guardian may however withdraw reasonable deposits from the inheritance to pay for the upkeep of household and or maintenance of living costs of the heir.

Chapter 12. Ineligible Grants of Inheritance

Article 56. Any grant of inheritance which is made under threat of injury, prosecution or other forms of bodily or mental harm is invalidated.

Article 57. Any grant of inheritance given to a member of the clergy during the final hours of the deceased as gifts for kindness or action taken, or in return for indulgence, is declared null and void.

Article 58. Any grant of inheritance given to a physician or any other person who provide medical assistance to the deceased in his final hours, or demands parts of the inheritance in return for treatment, is declared null and void.

Chapter 13. The Writing of Testaments

Article 59. No man who is not of sane mind may write a testament.

Article 60. For any testament, there must be a minimum of four witnesses of respectable reputation, to attest that the testament is the will of the person in question and not forged or made against his will.

Article 61. The four witnesses must not stand to inherit more than a total of fifty francs of value from the will of the deceased, or their witness be invalidated.

Article 62. An ordained Priest, along with another member of the clergy, may stand in on behalf of the four witnesses, should four witnesses of reliable reputation not be possible to attest to the will of the testator.

Article 63. Any direct issue of the body of the person in question shall not be applicable to Article 61 if there be at least two other witnesses whom can attest to the validity of the will as outlined by Article 60 and 61, or an ordained priest of the Catholic Church.

Article 64. Any citizen may engage another citizen for the writing of his will.

Article 65. No citizen, who is writing a testament and will on behalf of another, may himself be eligible for gain from the inheritance, lest he be a direct issue of the body of the testator.

Article 66. Any citizen writing the will and testament of another citizen cannot stand as witnesses to the validity of the will and testament lest he be an ordained priest of the Catholic Church.

Article 67. In cases in which a third party shall write the will of a citizen, it shall be the duty of the third party to ensure that the testator is in full understanding of the contents of the testament in question, and it shall be the duty of the witnesses to attest that this action has come to pass.

Article 68. Any will and testament must have the signature of the testator in question to be lawful.

Chapter 14. Depositing of the Will and Testament

Article 69. Any will and testament must be deposited with a law court of France for it to be considered the lawful will and testament of the testator.

Article 70. The will and testament must be deposited by the testator in person, along with the four witnesses, who shall all attest to the will and testament before an official of the French State.

Article 71. In cases where, either due to the infirmity of the testator, illness or other circumstances preventing the testator from delivering his will and testament in person, an ordained priest of the Catholic Church may do so on his behalf, along with the signatures of the witnesses, whom the priest, and therefore the Church, shall attest to their credibility and their respectable reputation.

Chapter 15. Last Wills and Testaments Given in the Final Hours

Article 72. Any man, who fulfills the requirements of Article 15 and Articles 59-68, and who has not prior to this written a will and testament, or desires to alter it on his deathbed, may do so if given the approval of the physician attending to his person, as well as that of an ordained priest who shall give the last sacrament.

Article 73. In cases as outlined in Article 72, the physician and priest must both stand witness before a judge of France, to attest to the will of the testator, along with other members of the household or witnesses to the death of the testator likewise attesting to the will of the testator.

Article 74. Any will and testament given in the final hours of the deceased, must be written upon a document, with clear intent and signature of the testator, with no oral account of the desires of the testator's being lawful before a French court of law.

Chapter 16. The Reading of a Will and Testament

Article 75. The reading of the last will and testament of any citizen may not occur any later than a month postmortem of the testator.

Article 76. The reading of any will and testament must be done by a judge of a French Court of Law, at which the family of the testator, along with any other heirs shall be present.

Article 77. In such cases where a judge, either due to other duties, difficulties or otherwise is indisposed, he may delegate the responsibility of the reading of the last will and testament of a citizen to an official in the employment of the French State or an ordained priest of the Catholic Church.

Article 78. In cases where the responsibility shall be delegated away, there must be at least one clerk appointed by the judge, employed by a French Court of law, to represent the judge in question. In cases where this shall prove impossible or difficult, the local mayor or a member General Council, District Council or Municipal Council may take the place of the clerk.

Law on Naval Funding (Did not receive a second.)

NOTE: This is essentially a funding law for the ministry, and since it specifies what funds may be allocated for, can be passed by the chambers without ordinance.

Amendment on the Law on the Credits of the Royal Army and the Royal Navy (Did not receive a second.)
NOTE: The King retains the right to refuse promulgation of those powers herein contained that are his own. That essentially means all issues that are deemed unrelated to funding.

Montbazon Proposal for the Naming of Vessels

NOTE: As naming vessels is within the purview of His Majesty, the King has rejected the Montbazon proposal for an ordinance that would rename the vessels.

. . .
Law on the Safety of Mills and Factories: Aye/Nay/Abst.
Law on the Licensing of Public Houses: Aye/Nay/Abst.
Law on the Pensions of the Civil Service: Aye/Nay/Abst.
Law on the Reduction of Cereal Freight: Aye/Nay/Abst.
Law on the Concessions for Portuary Investments: Aye/Nay/Abst.
Law on the Credits of the Royal Army and the Royal Navy: Aye/Nay/Abst.
Law on the Grants for the Land Programme of 1856: Aye/Nay/Abst.
Law on the Standardisation of Credit Unions: Aye/Nay/Abst.
Law on the Subsidy for the Bureaux de Bienfaisance: Aye/Nay/Abst.
Law on Grants to the Institutes d’Agriculture: Aye/Nay/Abst.
Law on the Protection of French Industry, 1857: Aye/Nay/Abst.
Law on Agricultural Cooperatives and their Formation: Aye/Nay/Abst.
Law on Inheritance: Aye/Nay/Abst.

[Department]
[Bonus]

- Name

. . .
VOTING IS OPEN. It will probably close Tuesday night (EST).

Last edited:
Law on the Safety of Mills and Factories: Aye
Law on the Licensing of Public Houses: Aye
Law on the Pensions of the Civil Service: Aye
Law on the Reduction of Cereal Freight: Aye
Law on the Concessions for Portuary Investments: Aye
Law on the Credits of the Royal Army and the Royal Navy: Aye
Law on the Grants for the Land Programme of 1856: Aye
Law on the Standardisation of Credit Unions: Aye
Law on the Subsidy for the Bureaux de Bienfaisance: Aye
Law on Grants to the Institutes d’Agriculture: Aye
Law on the Protection of French Industry, 1857: Aye
Law on Agricultural Cooperatives and their Formation: Abst.
Law on Inheritance: Abst.

[Calvados]
[Ne mentionnez pas la guerre: +2.5PP]

le vicomte du Bessin
pair de France