• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TheArrogantOne

TheLazyOne
25 Badges
Apr 24, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
I truly love your customization decisions and thank you very much for them, but... they should be more customizable.

What I mean is, for instance, the gender equality decision. You can only enable it on day 1, which ruins it for me since uncreated titles are still, by default, agnatic gavelkind. Also, what if I want only all the gender laws and female councillors enabled? I don't really want to turn the world into absolute cognatic, since it triggers blobbing (I had Bulgaria being inherited by Great Moravia).

Also, the anglicized localisation component is problematic too. I'd prefer to keep English country names, but I'm a fan of dynamic province names and was unpleasantly surprised that I can only have anglicized localisation OR dynamic province names. I guess I could mess around with the files in some way to enable it, but then I'll probably mess up the game, too...

Please, fix these two. And make all customization decisions available on any day, even if it isn't day 1. It won't really make a difference, since the decisions already change the world drastically.

Please. I really want to get back to play my favorite CKII mod and I'm tired of being Cathar/Messalian every time or having anglicized province names because I wanted anglicized country names.

Reactions:
Since I use native localization the latter isn't really an issue for me, but I think Gender Equality Lite could be cool. That said, I still feel like that entire thing is effectively a bludgeon for the complex issue that it actually is. I think I mentioned it before, but I'm still definitely in favor of a more robust gender equality system, with changes by degrees. Not sure if that's possible to code in, though. Before I sound ungrateful, I do like that the option exists. :)

I have a few thoughts (not re: SED, though), but I'll only share one:

For newly-created titles to always be Absolute Cognatic when Gender Equality is enabled, all of the gender succession law definitions need to be rewritten. This is dank and hairy work, especially because it absolutely must be correct for all scenarios, even during Adapting History before you enable the Gender Equality customization. It's probably doable, but it's definitely not on my high-priority list for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that an Absolute Cognatic utopia-- with proper AI marriage planning and such for the sweeter sex-- cannot exist as things are.

OK, I'll share one more [obvious] thought: HIP is already extremely customizable (unmatched). When adding new customizations or expanding upon old ones, I must carefully consider the value of it, because truckloads of options ultimately dilutes all of them, and they require all sorts of extra complexity in coding, maintenance, support, etc. And at the end of the day, nobody is talking about the same game, because "HIP" then means so many entirely different things in practice. Obviously, I support modularity and customizability, but these factors must be weighed against the perceived benefit of such an addition or expansion of a customization.

Thanks for the input. It is noted.

Also, the anglicized localisation component is problematic too. I'd prefer to keep English country names, but I'm a fan of dynamic province names and was unpleasantly surprised that I can only have anglicized localisation OR dynamic province names. I guess I could mess around with the files in some way to enable it, but then I'll probably mess up the game, too....

Please, fix these two.

As ziji said, it’s not fixes you are requesting -- these would be new features which would take significant effort to develop and maintain. Unless you can point to a big mass of people agreeing with you, “please fix” is jumping the gun.

What I did for the time being was just do 2 installs and just moved over the country localization so I'd have the English country names.

Fortunately, it’s not too hard to customize SED personally in this way, though it won’t be perfect—dynamic names are an on-off switch for everything, provinces and higher-tier titles. Easiest is to start from an install with SED turned off, and then copy the files you want from modules/SED2/ on top of your install directory. The files in common/landed_titles/ control dynamic names, so if you don't copy that over, it will be like SED v1, where England remains Angliétèrre/Engelond. You can inspect the files in localisation/ to see what values they contain, and whether you want to copy them over. You probably want everything but "A SWMHcounties.csv", "A SWMHnewprovinces.csv", and "A SWMHprovinces.csv".

Reactions:

For newly-created titles to always be Absolute Cognatic when Gender Equality is enabled, all of the gender succession law definitions need to be rewritten. This is dank and hairy work, especially because it absolutely must be correct for all scenarios, even during Adapting History before you enable the Gender Equality customization. It's probably doable, but it's definitely not on my high-priority list for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that an Absolute Cognatic utopia-- with proper AI marriage planning and such for the sweeter sex-- cannot exist as things are.

OK, I'll share one more [obvious] thought: HIP is already extremely customizable (unmatched). When adding new customizations or expanding upon old ones, I must carefully consider the value of it, because truckloads of options ultimately dilutes all of them, and they require all sorts of extra complexity in coding, maintenance, support, etc. And at the end of the day, nobody is talking about the same game, because "HIP" then means so many entirely different things in practice. Obviously, I support modularity and customizability, but these factors must be weighed against the perceived benefit of such an addition or expansion of a customization.

I definitely get this, and I understand there are probably much bigger things on your plate that have more relevance to the overall gameplay experience. What I stated is more of a 'wishlist' kind of item, in which there would be a system in place with mechanics rather than it be a customization option. I'm not even certain something like that is possible within the constraints of CK2's code, though, at least as it stands now.

As ziji said, it’s not fixes you are requesting -- these would be new features which would take significant effort to develop and maintain. Unless you can point to a big mass of people agreeing with you, “please fix” is jumping the gun.

Fortunately, it’s not too hard to customize SED personally in this way, though it won’t be perfect—dynamic names are an on-off switch for everything, provinces and higher-tier titles. Easiest is to start from an install with SED turned off, and then copy the files you want from modules/SED2/ on top of your install directory. The files in common/landed_titles/ control dynamic names, so if you don't copy that over, it will be like SED v1, where England remains Angliétèrre/Engelond. You can inspect the files in localisation/ to see what values they contain, and whether you want to copy them over. You probably want everything but "A SWMHcounties.csv", "A SWMHnewprovinces.csv", and "A SWMHprovinces.csv".

I realize that "please fix" was an oversimplification. Also, thank you very much for the tips. As for the gender equality, I get it would be too hard to change... but simply, as I said, make the Gender Equality decision available not only on day 1 (I already did, but this would be helpful either way).

Thank you for the response, zijistark. Although you seem to have missed my point. Obviously we can't make non-existing titles Absolute Cognatic, so make the decision available at any time. This way, the player would be able to re-enable it whenever the succession is changed.

As for the anglicization, I guess I'll just try what IoannesBarbarus said.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't criticizing anyone. I was just trying to...well... make you make more decisions... but it seems it just isn't possible for various reasons. I just tried.

BTW, SED does still have some dynamic names. Just, not nearly so many of them as SWMH. Based on feedback I’ll be adding more back in in a couple places soonish.

BTW, SED does still have some dynamic names. Just, not nearly so many of them as SWMH. Based on feedback I’ll be adding more back in in a couple places soonish.

I really wish to have a version with all dynamic names, just with normal country names, if it would be possible.

Thank you for the response, zijistark. Although you seem to have missed my point. Obviously we can't make non-existing titles Absolute Cognatic, so make the decision available at any time. This way, the player would be able to re-enable it whenever the succession is changed.

As for the anglicization, I guess I'll just try what IoannesBarbarus said.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't criticizing anyone. I was just trying to...well... make you make more decisions... but it seems it just isn't possible for various reasons. I just tried.

Actually, I think we can theoretically make non-existing titles (i.e., those that are being created) Absolute Cognatic; I just think it'd be pretty hard. Hence, the "very likely doable but probably not going to happen." (Admittedly, I like problems like that, and it's piqued my interest a bit now...)

Re: feedback, it's always welcome. We are constantly trying to make our mod better, but if there are enough folks that, e.g., would really like to see me to perform magic on gender succession laws to this end (at the expense of other bug-fixing and more mainstream improvements), then it's something that I may indeed pursue.

I would prefer not to have the decision available after the scenario starts, because modifying the succession laws of the world at any given time in your campaign is a bit cheesy. As for other scenario customization options, you'll note that a few of them are available indefinitely after campaign start. The ones that aren't, generally speaking, would cause issues for gameplay if they were enacted or re-enacted after the campaign had started.

I've received the request for "Gender Equality Lite" (just allow female councillors, army leadership, and full access to all of the gender laws, even the unsupported ones-- Enatic, etc.) a few times now, and when I do get some spare time, this will probably be implemented. [I think it's a fantastic idea, because yes, Absolute Cognatic everywhere-- even if it were made to work properly for new title creation-- is problematic for gameplay, though fun.]

To put this in perspective, the very popular and very large/multi-featured (think it asks you like 9 possible questions to customize it, and lets you re-invoke for more combinations) New World Order scenario customization is still disabled since 2.4 due to lack of time to work on scenario customization options' adaptation to nomads in that case.

Actually, I think we can theoretically make non-existing titles (i.e., those that are being created) Absolute Cognatic; I just think it'd be pretty hard. Hence, the "very likely doable but probably not going to happen." (Admittedly, I like problems like that, and it's piqued my interest a bit now...)

Re: feedback, it's always welcome. We are constantly trying to make our mod better, but if there are enough folks that, e.g., would really like to see me to perform magic on gender succession laws to this end (at the expense of other bug-fixing and more mainstream improvements), then it's something that I may indeed pursue.

I would prefer not to have the decision available after the scenario starts, because modifying the succession laws of the world at any given time in your campaign is a bit cheesy. As for other scenario customization options, you'll note that a few of them are available indefinitely after campaign start. The ones that aren't, generally speaking, would cause issues for gameplay if they were enacted or re-enacted after the campaign had started.

I've received the request for "Gender Equality Lite" (just allow female councillors, army leadership, and full access to all of the gender laws, even the unsupported ones-- Enatic, etc.) a few times now, and when I do get some spare time, this will probably be implemented. [I think it's a fantastic idea, because yes, Absolute Cognatic everywhere-- even if it were made to work properly for new title creation-- is problematic for gameplay, though fun.]

To put this in perspective, the very popular and very large/multi-featured (think it asks you like 9 possible questions to customize it, and lets you re-invoke for more combinations) New World Order scenario customization is still disabled since 2.4 due to lack of time to work on scenario customization options' adaptation to nomads in that case.

Gender Equality Lite would be a great feature indeed! Waiting impatiently.

As for Absolute Cognatic, I'll just change it myself. Just wanted to suggest an option, in my opinion, pretty useful, but well, you're the dev here, not me :rolleyes:

Also, what's exactly the problem with NWO? I loved that option and I'm sad that it got disabled (purposedly only temporarily, but still worrying).

Gender Equality Lite would be a great feature indeed! Waiting impatiently.

As for Absolute Cognatic, I'll just change it myself. Just wanted to suggest an option, in my opinion, pretty useful, but well, you're the dev here, not me :rolleyes:

Also, what's exactly the problem with NWO? I loved that option and I'm sad that it got disabled (purposedly only temporarily, but still worrying).

Re: Gender Equality Lite, given the special request and the relative lack of difficulty in implementing it, I might be able to make time to do this today.

The deal with NWO, in a nutshell: it rather dramatically depends upon some pre-2.4 assumptions about counties always having capital holdings (not true in nomad-land), it totally transforms the title structure of the map (2.4 introduced king-level landless clan titles as well as empire-tier independent nomad titles, which throws some wrenches into things), and the simple question of what to do / what can be done about nomads in the spirit of the customization decision (e.g., do we give the user the option to choose between "All clans become independent" or "Leave nomads alone" or something else entirely that may or may not be technically possible?).

In other words, it's just a can of worms that I haven't had time or sufficient motivation to open yet.

But it will be back!

EDIT: Oh, and NWO dramatically transforms government types for characters on the map (e.g., rather than spawn new characters for holding existing characters' spare counties, it promotes local barons to be the county owner and switches their government types). So another adaptation consideration.

I really wish to have a version with all dynamic names, just with normal country names, if it would be possible.
Ehh.... It wouldn’t be that hard to make this, TBH. Keep an eye out in this thread when the next HIP version releases.
Yet if he shall continue knocking, I say to you, although he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend; yet, because of his importunity, he will rise, and give him as many as he needeth.

Yet if he shall continue knocking, I say to you, although he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend; yet, because of his importunity, he will rise, and give him as many as he needeth.

Luke 11:8-- I actually still know that from my [short-lived] Protestant youth. Very appropriate.

I would be very much in favor of "Gender Equality Lite" so it's only in effect for my own realm. And not everyone else outside of my own realm. At present Gender Equality is an all or nothing switch meaning that if you turn it in, it's on for EVERY single realm on the map.

Playing pre 2.4.x HIP, I discovered that my female rulers couldn't even lead armies of their own in a scenario where I didn't tick on Gender Equality...even though they had Absolute Cognatic or Cathar which is the only known Christian heresy that allows female army leaders. For some reason, being Cathar doesn't even override my liege's laws if they're not Absolute Cognatic.

@TheArrogantOne

Here you go. Delete modules/SED2/ entirely (it won’t work otherwise), then extract this into modules/, and run the installer (answering “yes” to SED, of course).

Baronies and counties/provinces are kept as they are in standard SWMH, including their dynamics. Everything else remains as it is in standard SED. (You asked for “realm names” to stay the same, but county-level realms always take the name of (one of) their provinces; there’s no way to separate that.)

Attachments

• SED2-2.0.1-noprovinces.7z
    339,4 KB · Views: 7
Reactions:
@TheArrogantOne

Here you go. Delete modules/SED2/ entirely (it won’t work otherwise), then extract this into modules/, and run the installer (answering “yes” to SED, of course).

Baronies and counties/provinces are kept as they are in standard SWMH, including their dynamics. Everything else remains as it is in standard SED. (You asked for “realm names” to stay the same, but county-level realms always take the name of (one of) their provinces; there’s no way to separate that.)

I didn't expect a response that quickly! Thank you sir, thank you very much for taking your time to do this.

I didn't expect a response that quickly! Thank you sir, thank you very much for taking your time to do this.
You’re welcome. I should also clarify that, like regular SED 2.0.1, this 2.0.1-noprovinces version is only compatible with the version of SWMH released today (2.901 - 2015-09-01).