• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You've certainly turned the Jalayirids into a dominant power in the region. It's also good to see Brandenburg doing so well.

I can see having the whole world revealed to everyone being problematic. Now almost every nation with a colonist within range will start colonizing.

Ouch, a 2PM. That will be tricky to do anything.

The Jalayirids would certainly have done well even without me. I probably made that development a bit quicker :)

Well, not everyone has a colonist, so I don't think much will change. Still, it's annoying.

World Update One:

Well, Kiev didn't work out. For some reasons: I may have two 6BT provinces, but they are on different continents, which means the Maldives have a 75% autonomy floor. I also have a fleet of two light ships, not a single transport. I can only reach south India with my coring range, and I stand no chance against the powers there. Why do I stand no chance? I could get a strong ally, right? Wrong, I am Buddhist. All of India is Hindu. Not to speak of the distance modifier they get to Diego Garcia. To stand a chance, I would need to build ships the whole time and invade Ceylon. And I don't want to make an update where all I am doing is sitting on my islands. I did try to invade Kano, but my fleet got sunk by Baden, and after a one-sided conflict, Kiev only had to pay some ducats... I'd voluntarily take a hopeless OPM, as long as said OPM could do something, even if it ends with its annexation, like Tver. But Kiev is just boring as hell, and nobody wants it. So I've rerolled and landed with number 225, Manchu. Which is much like Sweden.

But instead of complaining more about Kiev, let's take a look at the ledger. I've sorted the military by the force limit, and one can see that the Russian horde clearly has the potential to field the largest army. The Jalayirids and Gondwana are doing pretty good in this category as well. Taking the tech group into account, the strongest military should be fielded by the Jalayirids in some years. The Ashanti are the only other large nation with cannons, although they are a Persian horde.

FHemigI.jpg

The biggest fleet at sea is currently under the Serbian flag, the biggest nation of Arabia. The European powers are much more present in this category. If you wonder why Connacht has the biggest force limit, let me tell you that they stretch from the Andaman Islands to the Society Islands.

9EVIJBS.jpg

Europe:

The blobs are starting to form in Europe. Champa has started its first colony in Guyana. The reformation hasn't begun yet.

DI4xhP0.jpg

The Middle East:

Serbia and the Ashanti horde are the strongest realms in this region. The Miami are trying to be the Ottomans, but are failing for now. That the regions are poorer doesn't help them. Persia, on the other hand, is a rich region, granting much power to the Ashanti. My guess would be that the smaller realms need to unify if they don't want to fall.

LwIv0wN.jpg

South Asia:

Foix, Alsace and the Shoshone dominate Northern India, while Syria, Date, Kabylia and Kano squabble in the South, the smaller nations there being vassals. Kiev could barely reach Kabylia, and everyone ignores the island state. In South-East Asia, Scotland has reached its zenith and is collapsing, while the Celestial Empire of Medri Bahri does what a Celestial Empire does.

3riIzoJ.jpg

North Asia:

Siberia is uncolonizable in this world. Mombasa has completely blown up, and Khalka and Haixi have risen from its ruins. Hannover is Buddhist, while Kiche and Venezuela, together with Sardinia in the West, rule Siberia as Shamanists. Sardinia is Eastern as well, an interesting nation. Meanwhile, Brandenburg looks stronger then it is, having only 9k men and being unable to deal with the Qi nationalists. Catholic rebels in Kyoto have dealt too much damage to them that they can hold Qi longer, I fear.

RmJt4AP.jpg

Indonesia:

Connacht's playing ground. Tafilalt may dominate the peninsula and deal with the Sumatran nations, but the countless islands under the Irish control ensure their naval superiority, and this is decisive. As only Hindu nation there, they've already taken a foothold in Brunei.

BHgO4au.jpg

South America:

Not much has happened since the Tverian independence war. Sarig Yogir was annexed by Wurzburg and Cajamarca seems to be in difficulties.

BkMfAwt.jpg

North & Meso- America:

No more dragons here since the map got revealed. Mesoamerica is the dynamic mess that it always is since El Dorado. There is no telling who's going to win there, if not an European. The big armies of Scandinavia and Portugal originate from here, while the polar bears of Jan Mayen have established themselves at the Hudson Bay.

IHBqrlg.jpg

With no change in Africa, I'll leave the world update at this point and focus on the Manchu. Out of interest, I've looked for the richest provinces, and there are seven 15 BT ones around the world: Toledo, Mantua, Essex, Hessen and Finland in Europe; Puerto Rico in America; and Yuin, an uncolonized province in Australia. The worlds' richest region is held by the Jalayirids, as it is South Iberia. There are some other concentrations of rich provinces, most notably in Persia, South China and Kiche (Siberia...), otherwise there can be huge differences between neighbouring provinces. I'll close with the example of London (1BT), surrounded by 14BT Kent, 11BT Wessex, 15BT Essex and 4BT Oxfordshire. I doubt I'll write much about the economical situation, as it would be too confusing.

Well there be no dragons but polar bears are still dangerous, and if they mate with the Grizzlys up there...

Well let's just say the Jalayarid scouts are not going to have the best of times...

While I know this is a random AAR, there's some countries I'd just love for you to visit:

The Celestial Empire of Medri Bahri

The Albanian Sultanate (Skanderbeg in the desert, can you imagine?)

The Miami Empire

The Rus Horde

Any HRE nation

Quebec

And one request: With as many nations as possible can you give them exploration and/or expansion ideas? That would be really, really cool.

As someone who is also writing an AAR where I play random nations, I can vouch that having to play those tiny nations is the worst. I think it's fair to just skip them, since there truly is little you can do. I remember once getting Württemberg, which at the time was an OPM vassal of Austria, who was further in a PU under France. There was no hope for that nation, so I skipped them. :p

I hope Scotland doesn't collapse. I was rooting for them in Asia.

@ RepublicanIV: Yeah, I'd love these too, even if you've forgotten Jan Mayen on your list :p; the chance to get these nations is small, but I think I'll at least get into the HRE once. RNGesus has already blessed me with the Jalayirids though, so my hopes aren't high.

@ Michaelangelo: I quite enjoyed Tver, even if it was hopeless; but I guess your Württemberg example was even worse. The problem of Kiev was more the isolation; would it have been an OPM sandwiched between two major powers, I could have tried to cause some diplomatic mayhem before getting annexed, but Kiev was entirely secluded.
As for Scotland - I won't spoil anything.

Chapter Seven: Runes from the East

As Kiev was isolated, hopeless, and nobody wanted to annex them, we find ourselves with another horde in Europe. The Manchu. A Swedish-Norwegian nation, being at war at Kanem Bornu's side against Lan Na, while also being attacked by the Khandeshi Danes. The first war is hopeless, enemies are swarming over Kanem Bornu, so I focus on Khandesh, as the others will leave me alone, I think. Khandesh's allies are all over my ally in this conflict, Canada. Looks like I'm just in time, as if I can take out Khandesh swiftly...

B4KeGWX.jpg

Besides the wars, I look at Manchu's situation. A great advantage are our Manchu ideas: more manpower, no cost for reinforcing and less coring cost. We also have three Humanist and two Quantity ideas, and our fair laws have reduced the unrest. As both will help Manchu in the future, I keep them. Our great Khan... King is Yinsi Soop, a 53-year-old 2/4/5, and he has no current heir. I hope he'll last my turn and take a look at our 5.26 war exhaustion. We have good techs, only lacking behind in admin. We also have a truce with Transylvania. All our Scandinavian neighbours share a mutual hate, but that's not extraordinary. We have five loans, and the pope has forgiven our usury, reducing the interest. Finally, the Manchu field 18 regiments, four over the force limit, and seven ships, but the economy can sustain this.

fI4baRu.jpg

Time to let the Khandeshi suffer. Everywhere I was for now, an Indian nation was an enemy; due to their many tags, they are everywhere. I leave the Canadians to their fate and attack the subcontinentals in Halland, reaching a victory, before spreading out over Skåne and Sjælland. Khandesh brings in more men, but their amphibious assault on my richest province, Västergötland (11 BT), fails.

4Hn1Uls.jpg

Lan Na realizes too late that my army won't save Kanem Bornu and settles for a white peace. Shortly after, I bring them in against Khandesh. My great rule, not affected by the great diversities of our world, brings the cabinet to cooperate, and we push back another amphibious attack on Halland. The renaissance spreads, but the Manchu have not spent any money on that and won't do it here either.

IkrtS1u.jpg

Jerusalem would be the gateway for Khandesh's Eastern allies to reach me. Not to say that they are a danger to me by themselves. Thankfully, they want Novgorod, and Canada is too happy to separate from that province. No need to thank me. Both Khandeshi armies had retreated to Åland, and Yinsi celebrates the secure Eastern border with a great ball on which he meets a nice lady... Dudu Mengtemu (5/5/0) is the result.

4pnxRZa.jpg

Grave news come from the east, as Scotland, already close to collapsing, faces internal conflicts as well. A bit normal when more then half your country is occupied by rebels. We have it better, and create a Manchu Alphabet. Our Scandinavian subjects wonder what these strange symbols are. As I tell them it's a modern form of runes, they do accept it though and start erecting stones, without knowing what is written on it. Still, bright minds are reminded of the runestones, and start trying to decipher them; this brings in more intellectuals and our tech cost goes down by 10%. At the same time, they are forced to 'volunteer' for the army.

42EClQ4.jpg

I had taken advantage of a hole in the blockade of the islands by the Khandeshi to lay siege to Fyn and Lolland, but now it was back, when their army returned from Åland. The second battle of Halland ended in their favour, but instead of picking up my 2k armies on the islands, they went after Västergötland again. That's fine with me. Canada, my forgotten ally, calls me against Songhai, and I decline, thanking them for Novgorod again. No need to get more enemies, and I may get a better ally in the future.

vlYp0AZ.jpg

My general dies just before the islands fall to my army. Only Bornholm, Halland and Gotland remain in Khandeshi hands, and this starts to show. Khandesh is ruined, and disbands its fleet. They shouldn't have attacked if they couldn't finance it! I assemble my army and march on Västergötland, followed by Kanem Bornu. At the same time as my victory is sealed, Scotland goes bankrupt. Once you're falling, nothing stops you.

qLYHHeb.jpg

As the reformation begins in the emperor's lands, I pay back my last loan and punish Khandesh for its audacity. No longer shall they ally Jerusalem, release Fez (on the Baltic islands) and hand over Småland, Blekinge and Skåne. Impressed by our victory, Asakura (basically the Netherlands) offers an alliance, which I accept, as well as with Fez, my future vassal. I also reduce my war exhaustion from 10.51 to 4.51, and remove two regiments. Scotland goes bankrupt once again.

Vi7OOjE.jpg

With peace in my country, I prepare for annexing Transylvania, as my truce ends in November 1508. So I get my next powerful ally, Bengal, who is just thrashing the emperor together with Nepal. Toying with the thought of embracing Protestantism, I dismiss a cardinal minister. The first year of peace proves an excellent one; not for Brandenburg, as they have to release Qi.

pXlnXWY.jpg

Another cardinal wants a minister post, and the horse population booms. Tries to teach the Scandinavians how to practice horse archery end in chaos though. Can't they do anything like our old people? Fine. Then we'll be different of the other Europeans as well! The first nation to embrace Protestantism shall be Manchu! Superintendents and Church Taxes are introduced, and a theologian is hired to appease the masses while they were being converted.

4nq5ScN.jpg

Kanem Bornu ends the peace, by trying a second time to invade Lan Na. I'm sorry, I can't even reach you anymore if I don't transport my men one by one, so you're on your own again. But I still join, and sink the Guarani fleet in the Eastern Baltic. Then the emperor falls to our brethren, and as he can't be officially of our faith, Sunda gets elected emperor in the Hansa's place.

i0rYQiq.jpg

Kanem Bornu gets crushed as expected. This still causes rebels to smell blood. What are you talking about, there are no traitor armies around, you fools! They raise the unrest in Blekinge. Wishing to defend myself better from naval invasions, I start building ships and take a look into the wide world.

S0xYR01.jpg

Scotland had to release one nation after another, and has collapsed entirely, changing the entire shape of South-East Asia. The Pawnee become a Jalayirid protectorate.

GiB3urt.jpg

As the Scandinavians don't follow Manchu rule anyway, it's best to officialize it, installing indirect rule. I start moving my army to Norway, preparing to invade Transylvania, when Yinsi decides it is time to take part in a traditional burial on a burning ship the 21st July 1508... as main character. Stuck in a regency with the weak heir, pretenders under Akjan Po rise, but other then telling him that the Po is in Italy and his army is too small to do anything, his stats are not good enough to let him take over.

Ef4RrT8.jpg

The last two years and a half, I continue sinking Guarani ships, convert my provinces, set my mission to conquer Bergenshus for the AI to accomplish, then lean back and watch the world. The Eastern Shamans of Sardinia beat Songhai, and Rewa Kantha attacks the Ivory Alliance. I support Gondwana, even if Funj traitorously left the alliance. Songhai loses so badly that Jerusalem piles in. The Canadians send a message mentioning they are better off without Manchu anyway.

mgmSNql.jpg

In the end, the government complains we give some power to the local rulers. What was good in Asia should be good enough for here as well. I ignore them. Instead, I welcome the priest of Marstrand, who translated the bible. Our neighbours and the pope already hate us, why not provoke them?

OaqlEcm.jpg

After the new Jalayirid king breaks his alliance with Kangra, and Brandenburg defeats Shun, my time in Manchu ends. Sadly I fell into a regency, but this second misplaced horde should be strong enough to be the dominant Scandinavian power. Jerusalem will likely stand in its way, but the introduction of Protestantism may cause internal problems there... I wouldn't want to roll a dice, because there are more then ten years of regency in front of Manchu, but I do roll a one, and turn my back on the hordes... to get to a real horde: number 42, Bavaria.

bwh7mQq.jpg

I've also noticed that no army tradition and prestige was gained in battles any more. Must've been with the tweaks in one of the last patches. I think I've fixed that by modifying my defines.lua file again.

Last edited:
Well there goes Scotland. That's unfortunate.

Bavaria looks like it could be interesting. Surrounded by small nations keeping the huge nations at bay.

Sad thing, that Scotland. Exploded Ming-style. Would be a nice challenge to revive their empire, let's pray to the gods of the RNG.

The Middle East is really an interesting region, and Bavaria is no exception. I'd like to call it Bavaridia, but the pun is too bad.

Chapter Eight: The not-so-nomadic Horde

Grüß Gott! It's a bit hot here, but nonetheless it is our home. Bavaria. We may be a horde, but we still have the same ideas we had when we were a German kingdom north of the Alps, which is bad, considering we don't get free reinforcements. Manchu did. Well, at least we have better cavalry, which is fitting, less interests and more legitimacy. Considering we are Muslim, it's good that we haven't yet unlocked our second national idea, dealing with beer brewing... The fact that the AI decided on admin ideas threw us back to tech four, while we also are behind our neighbours in diplo and mil tech, with seven respectively. Our old Khan Adalbert (68) is fairly average, and our glorious army is trapped in our vassal Pegu's land. We are allied to the local powers Serbia and Miami, which is good. If I could manage to get my army back into my country...

l2EPHBP.jpg

Because I hadn't updated my defines.lua accordingly, Bavaria has almost no army tradition and a useless general. Well, it should be fixed now. The army is ten regiments under the force limit, but the economy couldn't afford much more. The AI tried to march through Styria using some dirty trick, but I don't know that trick and am forced to look for another way. With Styria my rival and Mzab hostile, I try to move my men through Miami, Palembang, Wichita, Khorasan and Ashanti to attack Galicia, vassal of OPM Morea, and get an alliance with Palembang along the way. I need to improve relations with Wichita before they let my troops through, and I bide my time...

tLhZRvW.jpg

Long enough to notice an opening in Styria's defences. They held one of my cores and were my rival, but allied to the Miami. Well, the rebels in Greece, Changsheng (all Greek provinces) nationalists, had imposed their terms on the Miami. Sadly for them, their army, as well as Styria's and Mzab's, was now trapped in Kosovo, or at least I hoped so. Due to a war with Aussa, they had assembled there, and I very much doubted Changsheng, Orthodox Greeks, would let the Turks march through. So Bavaria declares war on Styria, backed by nobody else then my vassal, Pegu. Miami sides with the attacked. You'll regret that. I'd like to cite 'trapped army' as CB, but opt for Tribal Conquest. Timidly, fearing an Austrian intervention, the Bavarians advance on the empty land. With undeniable logic (if Styria is our enemy, Austria can't be that strong) I motivate my men enough to start sieging.

LdKJmIO.jpg

But there is no mean emperor watching us. Aussa has to settle for a white peace, and I settle for long sieges. No enemies appear on the horizon. So I look to the HRE, and see that the AI Manchu continued my stance towards Kanem Bornu's hopeless aggression. They are reduced to an OPM. Madeira defects to the Jalayirids. Hearing of that Catholic horde, mobs start to target unbelievers, and I support them. The only true hordes are the real, the wrong hordes! That's too confusing, let me rephrase that... True hordes are not called hordes! My merchants dislike that, and ask for protection.

xMnJzK5.jpg

In regional news, the Ashanti lose their war against Tlaxcala. Morea, Galicia's overlord, was involved, and they declare their independence. How did Morea come to rule over much bigger Galicia in the first place? Ashanti backers maybe, but not this time.

kasfqeJ.jpg

A lonely Styrian army had stayed back in Anatolia. I meet them in Sugla, and stop their retreat in Amasya. Now, two years after my declaration of war, the only armies in Anatolia were either mine or neutral. Thanks, Changsheng!

CBGAFTl.jpg

The war doesn't need my attention, so I focus on elsewhere. The nobles sense an opportunity an regain some old rights. Damn! I just wanted to know that Manchu took Bergenshus thanks to Asakura, that the Jalayirids declared war on the Aztecs and that Gondwana signed a white peace. Poor Gondwana is embroiled in internal conflicts though, and I fear they'll end like Scotland. To console myself, I annex Mzab.

wU5XQHV.jpg

This has to be the easiest war I've ever fought. Sure, sometimes you lure the enemy's stack on an island, then block the strait, but this time, their troops watched powerless how their homes were pillaged and their cities occupied by German nomads due to their own fault. The irony of this strikes me the most: at the start, my army was trapped. Brigands strike at pilgrims, and the Turks turn to the Bavarian Khan for protection. It is so easy that the army leaders, as capable as Hannet, say that land technology is useless. I ignore them.

e3TLx8z.jpg

Feeling forgotten by their overlords, Malatya defects. I continue the sieges. The Russian horde eats more land in the West, while Brittany and Mainz declare their independence. It's almost the end of Québec on one side of Eurasia, while the Shogun returns on the other side.

dDrhaWn.jpg

Five years of sieging have passed, when I conclude the war. Miami has to return Pegu's cores in central Anatolia. I take Styria's Eastern half and connect Navarra's land again. Cartographers will thank me. I start annexing Pegu, and see that newly independent Galicia is being overrun. Their friend in the independence war, Deccan, had dragged them into a bad war. I accept the invitation for another easy victory and declare war.

iir8WAb.jpg

The old Khan never awoke after he declared war, and his son Ernst II (4/2/4) takes over. He researches Pike and Shot (miltech 8) and seeks a diplomatic solution in Miami. The declining empire mistreated the merchants of its former ally, but the anger subsided in time. Speaking of declining empires: After Scotland, we sadly also have to count Gondwana as one.

c69KKfC.jpg

Galicia is not yet entirely fallen, that I decide to move on the Catholics in La Plata. Only Saxe-Lauenburg (Athens/Naxos) supports them, might as well be nobody. I try to attack them, but they flee, right into Pegu's army. I can finally confront and defeat them, before chasing them down to Ajloun, where the Catholics dissolve. The Shogun tries to assert his authority on Brandenburg again.

sWIbTdU.jpg

I chase newly recruited regiments all around La Plata, and take more casualties then expected. Turkish patriots sense my weakness, and rise up. Both armies are bigger then mine, and I have bad generals (a second one, 0/2/1/0, was hired). I try to call Serbia into my already won war against La Plata to get them to deal with the rebels for me, but they are busy dealing with Pomerania in East Africa.

eSAZV75.jpg

The reformation branches out in Nupe, after another center of reformation appeared in Nepal. For now, it's a small wildfire save for Manchu. Seeing the Turkish rebels, I notice that my administration has failed, and vassalize Galicia in consolation.

F4xmI6F.jpg

I boost my stability to one, but a disaster looms, and I can't do anything against it. One Shia province in the East started it, and Bavaria will probably fall to it. But not yet. The Jalayirids lose their Aztec war, I'd guess because they are involved in a war against the emperor with Powhatan. The production research is flawed, and I tell them it's no wonder, we don't even know how to build temples yet.

7nkk1Oi.jpg

As I spend the last months wondering how bad Bavaria will explode, I keep an eye on my sieges, and see 26k Jalayirids, their whole army, marching back to Iberia. No wonder they are losing.

6HKoFrp.jpg

Then the year ends, and I roll a one, leaving Bavaria behind. Victorious against La Plata, grown West and East, but destined to doom. A bad turn for my past nations, save for Manchu. Will the next one fare better? It is number 285, Pagarruyung – A North African state.

DSoi3ey.jpg

acO3cCs.jpg

Damn rebels ruin everything.

It seems that anything can happen in this AAR. It'll be nice once everything consolidates and you have a few blobs to toss their weight around.

Rebels. I feel they'll dominate the whole game. I hate them already. Every blob (at least those I touch) seem to fall apart at some point due to them.

The forum switch done, my pause ends as well. Pagarruyung holds some surprises; the next chapter is a bigger one. As I don't want to have too many screenshots in one post, I'll cut it in two: the first part now, the second one tomorrow.

Chapter Nine/ Part One: Rice in the desert

I take over Pagarruyung as they are fighting a war against Albania. North Africa is not good for their mental condition, it seems, as they have attacked the Timurids for Titteri, pulling us, Hosokawa and Rewa Kantha against them. We have already occupied their Eastern provinces, and Constantine for Pagarruyung, so the war should end soon. I set my mission to take Constantine, hoping the Timurids will give their faithful ally this small prize.

84VfyhO.jpg

Then I take a look at our situation. Mengtsekya I Karamanli rules over an Islamic center of Scholarly Learning, lowering our tech and idea cost for now. Wait, Karamanli? Isn't that an Anatolian beylik?... I don't even want to know where Karaman is in this world. Anyway, his heir is a bit under average though. We are allied to the local powers, the Timurids, the Aztecs and Hosokawa. The army, led by a man mostly capable in sieges, is one over the force limit. Our great navy consists of the pride of our nation – one cog. Our poor economy can't afford anything more, so I mothball it. Won't do much with it anyway. Our Berber ideas aren't put to a good use there. The technology is comparable with our neighbours. For some reason, we have maxed influence ideas and started quantity ideas. Time to get a vassal then!

wHafJHV.jpg

Rewa Kantha is with us in that war, and the AI already improved our relations, so I seal another alliance. I set my eyes on the stronger United States of Africa, and the alliances at least let me choose the moment to attack. The Timurids engage the Albanian army after occupying all their sieges, and in the middle of the battle makes peace. A selfish one. My great siege general is so enraged his efforts at taking Constantine don't pay off that he dies. Gadzabadi Kyai (2/1/2/1) replaces him. He's better then my heir, Mengtsekya II (?) who's a 1/1/1/1.

f1MKprF.jpg

I wait that my claim finishes on Tunis. Meanwhile, I unlock Modern Theocracy (admin ten), and pick a new idea group: exploration. I doubt that Pagarruyung will send any colonists out soon, nor that it would be profitable, but who knows. Not that influence helped them much for now. Maybe they can land in the West African coast, and take advantage of Gondwana's decline...

A6M1Wo5.jpg

The time to end the new Punic Union has come. USA delenda est . I am heavily depending on my allies here, but the traitorous Timurids don't join my war against the U.S. of Africa. Their attitude, war exhaustion and debts prevent it. Useless egoists. Rewa Kantha claims it is too distant. Fine. I won't help you tear the Gondwanese successor states apart either, should you try that. Hosokawa and the Aztecs join me, while Albania, Benin and Shu help the Carthaginian Union.

F2VwlgI.jpg

I flee, before the United army reaches me, to Albanian territory, as they didn't rebuild their troops yet. I also get military access from the Timurids. I thought this would enable the Aztecs to reach me. I was wrong. They just stand there and do... nothing. There are fresh hearts to cut out in the East, my Aztec friends! They still don't budge. Hosokawa had started to siege Constantine, while I siege the other Albanian province and the Union move on Kef. Benin stays at their border with Hosokawa for now, but I still need the Aztecs for an advantage. Why don't they move?

YkQE3kA.jpg

I get the impression that wherever I go, the nobles and their production complains accompany me. Fine! Our production is flawed! Long live the old methods of Sumatra! Even if Sumatra is tropical, and we are now in a very arid region, you must be right, my noble friends. Let's grow rice! Just leave me alone already! Oh, and don't complain that I take too many loans: It's your problem if rice doesn't grow in the desert. You're bankrupt as well because you're following me all the time? Then leave. Me. Alone. You know the old, tried method of execution?

p5CAbpc.jpg

I cancel my access to Timurid land again. All it would do is enable my enemies to march through... What Benin does. I forgot to check back then, but it seems like it wasn't a dirty AI trick: Hosokawa, who didn't need that military access in the slightest, had a lazy diplomat hanging around and sent him to the Timurids so that he was out of sight... Long story short, Benin attacks my army in Tamurt Leqbayel. The Union and Shu had taken Kef and move to reinforce. Too late, my Japanese friends notice that their poor ally is losing, to preoccupied to take Constantine.

4iYAsIf.jpg

My army flees into Hosokawa land. The Union proceeds to attack my sleepy allies. Unlike them, I do my best to help them out, but what can my battered men do besides drag the battle out some more. Their lame excuse is that they had their single artillery regiment so well placed for the siege that moving it again would destroy the whole progress they had made.

kKHnD8Q.jpg

Now having their whole might united, they start marching through the Timurids to attack the Aztecs. I want to set after them and help my hopefully smarter ally, but can't. I thought any military access enabled both sides to march through, but that is apparently not the case. The Aztecs have annul treaties with the Timurids, that's why they aren't marching through. I direct my anger even more at Hosokawa: If the USA would have asked for the military access, 15k Aztecs would have made the war a completely different one. If I would lose, which is quite likely, Hosokawa would have to pay.

l9BivSS.jpg

So instead I get access to my ally's lands again and head after the enemy. The Aztecs are less dumb and try to avoid direct conflict. Still, the enemy catches them in Sus. The casualties are around equal though. Seeing the Union beginning to set siege to the Aztec desert, I change my strategy. Maybe I'll be able to divert them in Aztec land long enough, while I take Albania, free my land and strike at the Union. Hoping my enemy's best friend Hosokawa will help me, I split my army, sending 3k West while the other 2k stay in Albania.

Iy4Qf0w.jpg

I research the Star Fort (mil 9), and change my units to Shamshir Infantry. The enemy still has the advantage, being more pious and prestigious, but at least its smaller. Even though loans are flooding my treasury, Albanian dissidents are looking for cash. Wrong door; look elsewhere. Or try a guerilla war. One of them stays behind; thing is, he's a former Jalayirid captive and Christian. He enters our administration, only to be dismissed later. Our great piety shows the world that our cause is just. Not that we look like we're going to use this.

N4runUU.jpg

I'll end the first part on this note:

In a game dominated by rebels, the next ones to descend into the anarchy that is a civil war are Medri Bahri and Manchu. The celestial emperor and the true birthplace of the reformation are in for some trouble. A wonder that Bavaria hasn't started to crumble yet. They have vassalized La Plata in the war I left them with, three years ago.

PgBo7ew.jpg

Yeah, the years with Pagarruyung were great fun. I also enjoyed my utter defeat with Tver; losing sometimes is great fun. The big advantage of random play is that there's no snowballing :)
Damned morons though. I've seen the AI act incredibly smart before, now it's more on the dumb side.

Chapter Nine/ Part Two: When old Friends call...

Hosokawa takes back its territory occupied by Benin, and joins my Albanian expedition, obsessed with Constantine. The Union reacts; they've taken Sus, and marched on Draa. Benin thinks they're taking too much attrition and continues to Saoura. Seeing my chance, the combined Pagarruyung-Aztec force attacks the US. Before the African front collapses, the vicious decapitaters from Benin return. We are forced to retreat and set our sights on freeing Sus.

6n6yvrF.jpg

'Bizerte continued to flourish under the benevolent, nearly bankrupt rule of Pagarruyung'. As if. Our Unionist friends simply want to honour their name, claiming as much African land as possible. Their unjust claim shows our war-weary population this is a fight to win, and we will hold the line! Tamurt Leqbayel finally falls to our men, the tide is turning!...

09KYn4Q.jpg

lTwhvqB.jpg

...Or not. My old Jalayirid friends decide to attack the Aztecs. I'm called in, and honour the call. I need my Western allies. I had sent my Estern force to the war goal, Tunis, and Hosokawa had satisfied their obsession, giving me the chance to peace out with Albania. No, my dear Japanese traitors. You won't get Constantine. What do you mean, you are our loyal ally? And that Constantine is a righteous part of your nation? Without your brilliant diplomacy, we would be winning! Albania is mine! Our influence ideas must be good for something! Besides, you belong to an Asian archipelago, not into Africa, Constantine can't belong to you. What do you mean, I should be on another Asian archipelago? Well, obviously I'm not, or I wouldn't be taking them for me. If you have any complaints, there is an Aztec province between Abda and Agadir where you should move... Haha!

C17cQrj.jpg

The incredibly generous war reparations (8 ducats) Albania has to pay make our looming bankruptcy disappear for now. But the Aztecs, concentrating on the Jalayirids, peace out. The Union heads East. As Tunis has a 7% chance to fall. I need to stop them. Somehow. What can I do? Albania has attached to my three regiments, but is not in the war any more? Damn, they are reaching the Timurid territory. Hm, Benin lacks behind... I attack them in Figuig to gain some time. The result is predictable, but I've separated Benin from the Union.

8zcTCil.jpg

They get closer. Tunis hasn't fallen. Benin, irritated by my suicidal attack, heads home. The Union gets closer, they are in Kef now. Too cl... No, they attack Hosokawa in Sousse. Their army has suffered severely under the blockade, had been reduced to 6k, and they won't stand a chance now. Tunis has 28% siege progress. As my best friend buys some more time, I cross all fingers and pray for RNGesus. Please. I'll take an OPM if you want, just be on my side now...

AcJpJiM.jpg

Yes! Tunis falls, only days before the Union engages my troops. I immediately try to sign a peace, with -31% war score instead of -65%, but they won't listen. They are out for my blood. In the middle of the fight, Benin sues for a white peace. I ask the Union again. They accept. On very humble terms. War reparations and annul treaties with Hosokawa. I've lost the war, but I've also won it.

9k3tBXs.jpg

Wishing to prevent my poor Sultan from drowning in loans, I disband the Western army. 2k men should suffice. Wonder what the Jalayirids are doing? Shipping 1k men one at the time... to my lands. Even my battered army can beat them back, telling much about the quality of their naval invasion. Hosokawa insults me, saying how close they were to winning if I wouldn't have ended the war. I open their eyes, and they apologize.

qq9Sdsg.jpg

The first of four lonely armies they landed...

After yet another futile attempt to land troops in Africa, I look around what the Jalayirids are doing with their transports. They have enough to transfer armies instead of regiments, where are they?

Holidays on the Canary Islands. And I thought the days where the Mongol doomstacks were just sitting around there were over... wrong game, damn. As I pay back the first of my 46 loans, I try to wake up the AI by tag switching and moving their fleet around.

pbRBwe8.jpg

It works! The horde fleet heads back to Iberia. My action doesn't go unnoticed though, and Pagarruyung's diplomats are suspected to be spies. Well, I helped you! Wouldn't you love to have a spy from the enemy running to you and helping you to defeat him?

BG1dfqx.jpg

As I see what the Jalayirids do next, I start knowing why they didn't like it. 13k leaderless troops charge into 17k Albanian-Aztec forces in the mountains of Fez, flee to Tangiers and get wiped. And if that wasn't enough, they repeat their mistake in Meknes not much later. I start to wonder if I've really helped the AI... or led it to its doom.

MPRSqge.jpg

The peasants get uppity as they realize their overlord is as penniless as they are. Well, I may not have one spare ducat, but I have a good banker – and good weapons. Want to test them? No? Well, then back on your turf. Disappointed Jalayirid scientists search for better employers, but I am better off without them.

3CXmPnq.jpg

Then, I roll a three. With this, I leave an unpronounceable country behind, ruined by war, in a war against one of the world's strongest powers, and with another probably useless idea group. But on the plus side, they've gained a subject! And there's nothing better then having an underling to kick around. Speaking of underlings, where to now? RNG, you've helped me in Tunis, so I'm ready for everything. Another Tver? Kiev, this time for real? No? The Commonwealth? Well, that sounds promising.

Or not?

qaNwaG8.jpg

Only 46 loans? :p

It looks like a few nations are starting to blob there in Europe. Too bad the Commonwealth isn't one of them.

Not enough to go bankrupt :)
Blobs are forming, and if the rebels don't say otherwise, then they stay. I have the feeling I'm not the only one randomly picking my next victims nations, but the rebels are as well.

ChapterTen: The Lorrainian-...Lorrainian?-Commonwealth

….Whatever. The 'wealth' part is true at last: Lothringen (I'll call it Lorraine. No idea why it didn't change to its French form, despite the PLC being Burgundian) has 14BT. Sunda has a claim on it, so I have to be prudent. Our rival is Lan Xang, so I set my mission to insult them. King Stanislaw de Barrau has just seized the throne; seeing our great generals despite 4.5 army tradition, I'd bet on a revolt leader. He combats the low legitimacy by seeking help from the church. He has already found good allies: Asakura, Pattani, Djerid and Crete. Our mighty nation has Polish ideas, full diplomacy and started humanist ideas. We may need to grow a bit so that they may be of use. We are ahead of time in dip, one tech behind in mil and lack behind in admin. The level is 11, and we are only at 7. I remedy this by researching Workshop & Courthouse, and insult Lan Xang.

xmn1Pss.jpg

As we are in the HRE, it is time to take a closer look. No reform has been passed yet. And the election is close: Lan Xang and Nizhny Novgorod vote for Sunda, the former emperor from the Hansa votes for Yeren, who also supports themselves. Bashkiria and Keladi are for Danzig, while Crete supports Sus. Two reformed centers of reformation lie within the HRE, in the Hansa and Nepal, next to each other. It doesn't seem overly successful for now. Seeing as I am allied to one neighbour, I am watching the other closely, awaiting an opportunity. Right now, they are in a war with Champa, together with Asakura. I would need all my allies if I'd take on the emperor, and with only Djerid on my side, I await a better chance, and ally Danzig.

5V4t5Oq.jpg

As soon as I unpause, I change my mind. I really don't want to rely too much on my allies again after Pagarruyung. I also forget everything I said about prudence. The church didn't help Stanislaw, so he doesn't need the pope. I convert to reformed. Sunda won't attack me, I hope. As new mission, I try to get the rats back on the ship. All I have to do is convince them I'm not sinking. The agent the AI had sent to Sunda gets discovered as well. Right! Show the world that now, I am here! Where are the nobles with their production flaws?

EawM2gS.jpg

Danzig realizes I've become a dirty heretic and breaks our freshly concluded alliance. Well, that's bad, but I think the dirty part fits me well, at least in this period. As I am waiting, I begin improving relations with my allies, and build a courthouse in Lorraine from my conversion money. I happily notice that Bavaria didn't collapse. They integrated Pegu, and are still a close ally of Serbia, and has helped them to annex Benin. Nice to see the decapitaters punished for deciding the Pagarruyung war. Songhai goes bankrupt, and I see that Russia advances more and more on its own territory. Scary. Should they reform successfully at some point.

BtN4TTK.jpg

Manchu loses first to a pretender, then to Khandesh. But they survived their civil war thanks to the bad pretender. Still, having a period free of it is not possible, and the Venezuelan horde is the next country to fall into it. Champa seems to win the fight for the British isles, and beats Air around some more. Being a colonizer as well (Champani Colombia!) it will be another nation to observe. Powhatan has also taken exploration, but not colonized yet; while the Jalayirids missed vassalizing Buton again, becoming Kangra's underling.

t4Gx1CR.jpg

I unlock the Matchlock Musket (mil 11), putting me on par with my neighbours, and fabricate a claim on Elsass. If Sunda is too strong, some backstabbing may be useful... But for now, I march off to war. Bashkiria attacks Pattani. Our armies look evenly matched, and I reinforce the Pattani advance on München. The battle swings in our favour, as another 15k men from Mewar and Danzig arrive. I retreat before taking too heavy losses, and leave Pattani to their fate. Don't say I didn't try.

XIGAUBs.jpg

My agent gets discovered, again. As the enemy amasses 29k troops in Memmingen, I decide to do nothing more in that war. I hope to get ignored, as any distant OPM would be. Just beat up Pattani, but leave me alone, all right? The population distracts me from the war by complaining about a greedy bailiff. As a war involves killing, I have him executed. I was at -93 prestige, and not fulfilling the populace's wish would damage our Commonwealth much more.

yy7NMe7.jpg

Watching Pattani go down, as they also joined a war against Orléans, which occupied the other part of our alliance in Southern Italy, I see that Djerid disbanded half its army. Do you have monetary problems, my friend? That's too bad. As my claim finishes, I start improving my relation with Nepal. As I've made up my mind now and am going to backstab Djerid, Nepal will make a fine ally, if I get their relations high enough.

100caNh.jpg

As Pattani gets overrun by enemies, Flanders attacks them as well. Nobody supports them. Not that I could help or have any intention to, I accept the call to arms. It's only positive for me: Flanders is Djerid's ally, and can't help them if they're already at war with me. Their only other allies are Sus and me. I start sharpening my weapons.

Xf1jTBx.jpg

Nepal doesn't like me enough to ally nor to marry them; so I send them a gift. Afterwards, they consider marriage. All that stands in the way of our alliance now is my alliance with their rival Djerid. I dissolve it. But before I can ally Nepal and declare War, Sus declares their wish to take out a part of Pattani for themselves as well. I decline, as Sus pulls Djerid in. I want to fight them on my own terms. Thing is, Sus is not in the empire, as it only has Venice and Treviso. The emperor rushes to their rescue. Good, more enemies for Djerid. I seal my alliance with Nepal and wait to be able to attack them. Before I can though, Nepal, as Sunda's ally, gets involved in Sus' war and attacked. Well, as long as they are fighting against my enemy, I'm happy. With Crete being on their side, only Asakura remains to join my war.

8d2XY1G.jpg

I split my army into two halves, each led by my two generals. Sus' attack on Nepal fails, while the Djerid army returns to its territory. As the council of München begins the counter-reformation, Djerid realizes that disbanding half their army wasn't such a good idea after all. They rebuild some troops, and I try to stop them. Just as Asakura's army arrives, I engage the enemy in Breisgau. Then, horrified, I notice 17k men under the Danzig flag marching through Hanseatic lands. This is bad. Their only enemy in this direction is me. They could easily crush me. Before anything happens, I try to make peace with Bashkiria, and am forced to relinquish all my wealth, pay war reparations and annul treaties with Nepal. But at least I can still win against Djerid.

3j7MHSQ.jpg

As a brilliant diplomat with unclear loyalties appears, Sunda and Nepal reinforce my battle. Well, of course it is great to employ such a brilliant mind, but I'd like to know where his loyalties lie. He may be a agent of Djerid after all. If not their diplomat, their army is forced to retreat. My enemies' enemies then lay siege to their Western half, before going East.

FucOOkA.jpg

As the Jalayirids begin to lose most of what they've gained in the last years, the returning and rebuilt Djerid army attacks all Sunda has left behind, 4k men, in Sundgau. Now it's my turn to reinforce, together with Asakura and our bitter rival, and beat them back.

CIRe9Py.jpg

Then, a catastrophe strikes: A lethal disease spreads in Lorraine, our only province. What can we do? Our nation is doomed! How could we recover from such a disaster? Who should pay or supply our army? Who shall save Stanislaw when the panicked population rises up? Time to take out loans, if the banker survives, that is. Or is there another solution? Salvation and piety? Sounds good. Keep it up, men, nothing happened at home.

KSpfISQ.jpg

The enemies are defeated by the Imperial armies south of the Alps, and rout to Venice. Having some time to invest in sieges, I remember that I can levy war taxes, and do it. The population that survived the disease can surely spend a ducat or two for their poor nation. I also set my fervour focus on war. Meanwhile, Medri Bahri starts to collapse, releasing Ming and Ning.

c5enevc.jpg

I spread my army around Switzerland, as does the Imperial alliance. Sus starts an audacious move, passing the Imperials through the North and attacking my siege army in Bern. I am sending reinforcements from Graubünden, but just a day or two before they arrive, Djerid attacks them in Waldstätte.

bULuAeE.jpg

Bern is lost, but my main enemy completely succumbs to their ill-advised attack, even more as Imperial reinforcements arrive, and dissolves entirely.

yiZoPhd.jpg

I continue to Bern and chase out Sus. With Djerid's army dealt with, Stanislaw breathes more freely, and has time to celebrate the birth of his heir, Algirdas (4/4/0). Pattani then makes peace with Djerid, leaving me as their only enemy. The Imperials continue on Sus, so I don't have to worry about them either. It seems we have won. Considering the enemy has no money, I occupy more land unopposed.

qXSehUG.jpg

Having shown my good intentions, Sunda agrees to a royal marriage, while Pattani is torn into pieces, being left with only Tirol. On my side, I only have to defeat one more regiment from Djerid, before all its land falls into Commonwealth hands. Ignoring the fact that it was our army research that played its part in making us win, prominent men protest against it. If they ignore the facts, I can ignore them as well.

oqB6om3.jpg

As Konstanz falls, I enforce my conditions on my betrayed ally, reducing them from a minor power to a 3PM. The Commonwealth takes the shape of a weird cross or X and I return some cores. I want to stay on Nepal's good side, and at the same time make an alliance with the new nation of the region, Sukhothai. Both of my generals die in the last years of the campaign though, and most of the HRE hates me now, due to 60 AE my damned discovered claims plus the peace have generated. The emperor switched its attitude to domineering, and demanded unlawful territory, what I naturally declined. Ouch.

m82bUsu.jpg

Still, no huge coalition follows. I improve relations wherever I can, but this is not the reason. There is a nicely sized coalition against Lan Na. Only Lan Xang, Keladi and Eretna, all minors, form mine. As the emperor dies, his successor is a diplomat who is neutral to the Commonwealth. It seems the nation will live to see another day. I celebrate by hiring Elisabeth Simonavicius, a Grand Captain.

GcCWApS.jpg

The next years stay peaceful. Improving relations. Enjoying religious civil disorder in Djerid. Leaving smugglers alone. Watching Bavaria integrate Galicia, and Gondwana finally hitting the ground since it started falling. Well, there were Westphalian nationalists rebelling, and the successor of our brilliant diplomat is a moron, but it was calm around the Commonwealth. So calm that Osage joined the coalition to break the calm a bit.

YZjIXR4.jpg

Djerid was forced to convert to Protestantism. Berne as well, even though I had just finished to convert it to reformed. I guess that the process had already started while being a Catholic province. This is the reason why it didn't get cored yet; still, Rheinlaender culture becomes accepted and my merchants start to suffer due to our mercantilism. Well, you should have stayed home then. What do you say? You did stay home? Then why are you complaining! (Rheinland is my home node)

PP7kG0b.jpg

As Pasai beats up the former emperor with the help of Powhatan, and Nepal attacks Bashkiria, 1541 draws closer. I take a look to the East, as I hear of another civil war in Mombasa. East Asia is rebel heaven since Medri Bahri joined the fun. I also notice that Brandenburg has gained a foothold on the continent.

XPJ4GX5.jpg

Going back to Europe, my time is up. But I do roll a 4, meaning there are ten more years with the mighty Commonwealth of Lorraine. Though, with 60 AE, I doubt I can do much without sending them to their doom.

Well you certainly turned that around for the Commonwealth.

Clearly the new cross-shape of the Commonwealth means the conquest was sanctioned by God, so why is everyone complaining about it?

14 BT and no concience surely helped :rolleyes:.
The god of the cartographers approves. Those complainers simply haven't seen the truth yet.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Eleven: The Cross of the Reformation

We're back in the Lorrainian Commonwealth, also known as the Reformed Cross. But we still tolerate all other Christian Denominations, unlike the participators of the Council of Munich. Ecumenism is the answer. Osage disagrees. And leads the small coalition to war. Our alliances look evenly matched.

hjs26Ff.jpg

I initially wanted to ally Nepal again as soon as annul treaties was over. As I saved the game, they were still willing to. But as soon as I reloaded, they re-evaluated our relations and went hostile. And all that after I helped them recover lost territory! Oh well, after I backstabbed Djerid, I probably deserve it. Osage defeats the small Cretan army at its border, but then the Sukhothai and Commonwealth armies swoop in and annihilate them. Upon this great victory, I split my army to siege Osage, and they, cornered, call in Pattani, eager to get their revenge on their traitorous ally. No need to complain. I didn't want to get destroyed, my friends. Alas, now I have to be the one bringing destruction upon you.

xxdGcQL.jpg

Leading Sukhothai's army West, I rout the army of Eretna. During the battle, Pattani took advantage of it and marched into my siegers in Brescia. Reinforcing didn't help, and they retreated home. The big army was almost there though, and in retaliation, Pattani got wiped.

twqUKuu.jpg

I send Stanislaw to the front (3/1/1/0), and he introduces the new reformed work ethics. Meeting the king of Sukhothai on the field, he asks him about his family. The king complains, saying all family he has are de Barrau. Well, Stanislaw doesn't complain about that.

IKLhbAk.jpg

Then, there is a Catholic uprising. In Berne. The province that I had converted to Reformed before it flipped to Protestant. The Commonwealth doesn't count a single Catholic province. Yet 9k men rise up under arms. I contemplate using my allies to defeat them, but then I could lose the war. So I look at their demands. And accept them. Less missionary strength doesn't matter, I can't convert any province anyway, and more heretic tolerance is beneficial. Less for the true faith not so, but better then losing the war.

7D2D9z4.jpg

Nepal declares me their rival afterwards. Who am I to deal with rebels through diplomacy instead of facing them on the battlefield? They also insult me. But I continue on my diplomatic way and ease the tension. Sunda is impressed I've found another way to solve disagreements within the empire and also likes me more.

cz1bISq.jpg

As the war goes on, with Eretna's fresh 3k men being wiped in Lombardia, the other coalition war ends. Lan Na, the bully of the North, got cut down to size badly. Osage dreams of such an end as well, but it doesn't look good for them. A great help is that Keladi's army of 6k men can apparently not reach me. While Arturas Wyhowski leads a hunter-killer stack with my allies and goes from victory to victory, I continue to siege Osage.

nC93w7C.jpg

Meanwhile, my diplomats are hard at work all around the empire. I see that Pasai, Nepal's northern neighbour, may be a good ally, and sign a royal marriage. When the war is over, I can surround my new rival. Pulling me out of my plans, Pattani makes use of the Tyrolean gold to attack Stanislaw's siege army in Cremona before the 18k allies can arrive. Another siege progress gone, but the stack of death continues its vocation, sweeping through the region.

3YNwSLn.jpg

Eventually, a Keladi army does arrive. 6k men, they are quickly sent back to where they came from. With their defeat, they also have heretic uprisings, so they should leave me in peace for now.

1JWap3z.jpg

The war firmly in my grasp for now, Sunda starts to admire me. The Commonwealth would make a great ally for the emperor. Naturally unwilling to upset him, I sign a royal marriage. After the war, I can probably ally him. I would love to help my incapable Jalayirids more, as they lose against the Timurids, but I have no ships...

RPKC2Gc.jpg

Researching the Spanish Square (mil 12), I can access better infantry, but put it off for now. A Pattani army has sneaked past my Osage armies to attack my previously unscathed siege in Liguria. Just as the fort was about to fall. But the killer stack can intervene just in time to wipe the attacker out and secure my hold of Genoa. I upgrade my armies now, after disposing of another Eretna army, as my diplomats dishonour my achievements on that field, being baffling baboons again.

2o78pzh.jpg

Eretna and Lan Xang seem to have enough and don't recruit any new troops. Osage is now completely under siege, and the allied stack is ready to take on Pattani. The war now almost won, the Wharf (dip 12) is invented, and Korea declares its independence. If you remember Tver, they were a part of my failed alliance back then, so I expect an American nation. But no. Korea is just where you expect it to be. In, well, Korea, after another Mombasan collapse. Interested, I look at their American provinces... And they still have cores there! With the AI suffering no naval attrition, I'd love to see Korea 'reclaim its ancestral homeland' :p.

052Lcwt.jpg

01tJ2Sx.jpg

Djerid gets overrun by Nepal, as the emperor decides it is time to bring back Eretna into his fold. I've bled them dry, and the emperor has cores there. Goodbye Eretna. Explains why Sunda turned friendly before. Some traders adventure into Berne, and bolster up the almost emptied coffers with a nice 'donation'.

xZYwHX6.jpg

Pagarruyung annexes Albania, and I see that Creek has joined the league of the colonizers in Oiapoque (in Brazil or Colombia). Tyrol falls, and the Cross spreads the reformation. For their salvation, Pattani also has to finance the Commonwealth's future expenses. The Rheinlaender in Brisgau protest, seeing this as treachery to our faith, and rise in revolt. They may be bigger then my army, but with the allied stack, I can bring them down.

hOJ8yUj.jpg

Keladi reappears close by, in Alsace, and is forced to return to where they came from again. I introduce Indirect Rule, as the last Osage province falls and Eretna is annexed by Sunda. Osage begs for peace, but Stanislaw dismisses it as not good enough. Therefore, he is branded a ruthless powermonger, and embraces this reputation.

MHyetNC.jpg

I wait for Vaud to fall, before I enforce my peace conditions. The cross shape is extended to 6BT Wallis. Osage is also led to the light of the reformation and kindly makes a payment to my treasury. The Commonwealth has triumphed. In response, a new coalition is building, and I ally Sunda and Pasai.

YVJdEKh.jpg

Besides the forming coalition (Bashkiria, Doughlat, The Hansa, and when the truce was up Djerid) Asakura also tells me they don't want to uphold our alliance, as I've turned to their rivals. Fine. I use my new wealth to start building, and obscurantism throws its shadow over my nation.

cTEGXZC.jpg

There is also border friction with Crete, but I can keep them as an ally. Meanwhile, in the West, Kangra definitely establishes themselves as the Northern Iberian power. As I've liberated Wallis from the evil elector of Lan Xang, I get a reputation as haven of tolerance. Sunda distances themselves from the evil elector as well and breaks their alliance.

tO0MnCN.jpg

I continue my building projects. I want the Commonwealth to live a bit longer, so it shouldn't accumulate more AE. Very interesting are the news from Poland. It's sadly not a part of my nation, but a result of Lan Na's smashing. They've converted to Reformed. And who knows, brothers in faith may become more later... Even if I severely doubt that Poland will return under the Commonwealth's protection.

VLvsY0Y.jpg

Not much happens to the Cross of the Reformation in the last years, save for a building boom, quality wool and the recently liberated Wallisians in outrage that I don't attack my Cretan ally about the province they just claimed.

V2D3bib.jpg

But outside of it, an era ends. Mulya II La Ferté dies, and his heir, 5-years-old Sri Gitarja, inherits. If you aren't an Indonesian, like me, you probably think that's a nice information, but ultimately useless. Who cares about Sunda's ruler? Well, thing is, Sri Gitarja seems to be a female name – Sunda loses the emperorship to Yeren, a 2PM in North Austria. Both provinces are rich, but still, this will prove a good occasion for external powers, like Orléanic Italy or Powhatan France to push into the empire.

A9Ejyui.jpg

On this change, I leave the Commonwealth behind, after spending twenty nice years here. It has grown from an OPM to a regional power with six provinces, has gained strong allies, has spread its dynasty and its religion, as well as turned the economy positive. A most successful turn. There is even enough space for 'Commonwealth' to appear on the map. And there is no rebel problem, so I'm confident the AI can keep the nation alive for now. I'm leaving for...

Well, the next world update. All I will say is that the next nation is where it should be.

D3sQ1cs.jpg

All I will say is that the next nation is where it should be.

I hope that means Korea. They must retrieve their cores across the world! :D

The Commonwealth cross is looking quite nice. Hopefully it survives better than your other nations. :p

Not all of them have ended like Tver :rolleyes:. I'd love to see the Commonwealth survive and reclaim the Polish throne. And keeping their shape should be their top priority.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

World Update Two : 1551

Europe:

Before taking a look at the real power structure, lets let the maps do the talking; first off, a look at Europe. Western Europe is now dominated by some powers who have eclipsed the rest. Champa has won in Britain. Powhatan and Sunda dominate France. Kangra and the Jalayirids share Iberia. As the HRE comes in sight, the power structure is less clear though. Itself encircled by Orléans in the South and a recovering Manchu in the North, until far in the East Europe consists mostly of medium nations. Then, the threatening Russian horde comes into sight, as well as the Northern Shamans from Sardinia.

VhAzb60.jpg

Africa:

Gondwana has blown up. It won't be long until Rewa Kantha and Kara Del assert the Islamic superiority in this region. Eastern Africa though is an interesting region, with a lot of border movement. I would love to get a shot here.

JWVCa8B.jpg

Western Asia:

It is a wonder that Bavaria is still intact. They haven't done anything since I've left them, but are taking care of my conquests. They are also still allied to Serbia. The Orient itself is a region clearly dominated by some big players: Serbia, Ashanti, Tlaxcala, Bavaria and Yatenga. The Miami empire couldn't recover from its fall.

5s8kSnc.jpg

South Asia:

India's biggest powers are found in the North: Foix and Alsace. The South seems to be in the hands of Kano. It all doesn't look very stable though, and there are many nations split in two: Adal, Potowatomi, Date, the Shoshone and Naxos. East of India, a mighty empire has fallen very low: only a 2PM now, the Scottish realm has been split into many successor states, with Demak coming out on top now.

PdRzYPF.jpg

Indonesia:

Remember the Irish island power, Connacht? Well, they still are, but they've bitten up more then they could chew. Their latest expansion on Sumatra may have caused the others to combine their efforts, and Connacht is under attack.

GuOdvuT.jpg

South America:

Not much changed here, save for the first European colonizers arriving. Jalayirid Brazil, Champani Colombia and the newcomer from Creek are on the continent. Powhatan is also coming, having their base on Cap Verde. Tripura dominates the Andes.

Q8a3xdT.jpg

North America:

Land of the countless tribes. Portugal I'm sure of, and I think also Scandinavia have started to use their colonist.

BNZIlVU.jpg

So you can see that things have changed in the last fifty years. Mostly consolidating, but also a whole lot of rebels who easily dominated the first century, together with the Russian horde. It has by far the biggest army and potential for it, and some underlings to help as well. All that can let Russia fall seems to be that they are a horde and have to reform their government at some point, leading to the other power, the rebels. Taking a look at the actually strongest armies, Russia could theoretically field 60(!) regiments more then Serbia with their force limit. They do not, but it is still terrifying.

CIBqj4H.jpg

The biggest navy is currently wielded by Serbia. Champa has the biggest potential though, and Connacht, whose fleet has been sunk entirely, could sustain 44 ships. Even in this category, Russia is found on top, even though its force limit wouldn't put it there. Many nations do not care much for their navy.

uzDiiOK.jpg

Lastly, taking a look at the actual score, the current leader is no surprise. The horde is followed by Powhatan, and another horde from the rich provinces of Siberia, Kiche. The former emperor, the Jalayirids, Serbia and Champa are the only other powers who didn't gain their place through their allies or victories in wars.

PUHucq9.jpg

Now, as promised, onward to the next nation, a nation where it should be. There aren't many. But one of them is in East Asia, rebel heaven. Sadly, I'm not talking about Korea. I mean Haixi, independent since Aragon had to release it after Mombasa's first collapse, then mostly conquered again before Mombasa's second collapse returned a lot of provinces into the Jurchen's hands. My first goal should be not to crumble to rebels, then we'll see. It does look promising.

cSnI9ba.jpg

Me too. But each empire falls one day... I'm almost certain Russia will as well, due to being a horde. Things didn't work out like I wanted though, so...

Chapter Eleven and a half: The Manchurian Mistake

'Eleven and a half? What does that mean?' I'm certain you were thinking something like that as you read the title. Well, it describes exactly what I have done: A mistake. Nothing grave though. Just that I was testing a little mod I had made, and therefore turned off autosaves. That's usually no big deal as long as I finish the turn without a crash. But I've grown too accustomed to the fact that there's an autosave when I end my turn... And I had some bad rolls. First Sarig Yogir, gone like Tver, then Sweden, the tribe at the Amazonas delta that can't do anything before the Europeans are kind enough to put a colony besides them, and then Norway, 2PM vassal of Hannover. Unlike the other rolls, I gave Norway a chance, and looked if a try at independence could be successful. But nobody would help the Tibetan Vikings. I cheated a gift to Kiche to see if they would consider it after some relation improvement before I realized it was useless. Then, of course I resigned, not wanting to have Norway have even the slightest advantage... Before I saw I hadn't saved. Long story short, no save, and I'm still at 1551. :oops:

It's no biggie, and I don't want to replay my turn with Haixi, but I at least want to give a small account of what happened with them, omitting the rest of the world, as any change has been reset anyway. It won't be pretty, but I feel that I have to include this part into my report of the journey into the random world. As usual, I'll announce where to go to at the end of this short interval.:)

Haixi had full admin ideas and just came out of a costly war with Aragon, having accumulated five loans, only having nine of twenty possible regiments. I looked around and found Itza a juicy target. After recruiting one more regiment, I was on my own against Itza and Qi, the tribe from Hokkaido, but the situation looked around equal. Then, the Shamanists of Khalka attacked me. Haixi is Confucian. They have two vassals, Salish and Sicily; alone probably stronger then my pitiful alliance already. The Celestial Empire of Medri Bahri dishonoured the call, having rebel problems. And if that wasn't enough, Kiche, the rich Siberian horde, joined in with their 40k men.

CiOBKzU.jpg

You can guess how good that went for me. I tried to focus on Itza, and defeated them in Maya (very fitting province name) before Kiche got bored from the sieges and smashed my army into pieces. 3k men got away, and I kept Itza busy while Khalka's alliance advanced on my territory.

cNTEkl2.jpg

As if this wasn't enough, Qi landed 7k men in Haixi as well. Though they preferred laying siege to my land rather then help out Itza directly. As more then 60k enemies ran rampant through my land, my men complained that I didn't wage enough war. No comment on that one.

0WxAyhE.jpg

I tried to peace out with Khalka, but they didn't care. Fittingly this time, poor government policies hit me. I made gains on the Itza front, while at -87% war score against Khalka, when peasants rose up in revolt, probably the same that complained before. My enemies made short work of them.

SaoGuNu.jpg

At -99% war score, Khalka finally offered a peace. While they still wouldn't accept any of mine. Haixi got cut down to size, and my administration, unsurprisingly, is proven to have failed.

2c3NPUv.jpg

Then the great khan died, and a tribal succession crisis occurred. My new khan saw 15k pretenders arise far away from Qi's army, and my 3k Itzan men just watched from there how their country burned. I wouldn't want to live through what they did. 'God is with Dudu Mengtemu' is so wrong on many places though: First, Haixi was Confucian, and second, Dudu Mengtemu died.

0jmSccw.jpg

I could still research the Noble Republic, and unlock the Exploration ideas. Not that it would matter now, I had planned to have another nation join the colonials. As Qi started to march in my army's direction, I made peace with Itza. A small consolation prize for having lost around half their country before.

6Lx7DJ6.jpg

For the rest of the turn, I sat there watching the world unfold. As Korean patriots spawned in Korea, I had to take a closer look: Korea is still Andean tech with Quechua as primary culture :p

Also, my nomadic friends finally realized our army was pathetic. Hey, those 3k men won a war. Don't be too hard on them.

rWLejFm.jpg

Thus ended my turn with Haixi. Sadly with no save at the end. So I'm back at 1551, and roll a lot of annexed countries. Then Aq Qoyunlu, which is a hopeless OPM vassal of the Netherlands. This time, I won't even be able to annoy the Dutch, so I scratch that. Next usable roll is Chinook. A migratory tribe far away from everything else save Maeda. But I do see that the native advancements have been moved to the new button for the American regions. Not having noticed that earlier, with this in mind I can try Sweden. So off to the Amazonas delta I go. Of course, I've immediately reactivated the autosaves. Half-chapters won't happen twice, I promise!

l7YGS4I.jpg