• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Greetings Muhammad Adil Shah Suri, Sultan of Jaunpur and Delhi,
We must admit, the speed of the Mughal advance took us completely by surprise. We had expected to have at least a season to properly muster further forces and reorganize them for a larger campaign, but it seems the Mughal waits for no man, and as such I offer my humble apologies for not being present on the field of battle.

That will change now however. I am raising an army to strike north to relieve you with all due haste, though would argue against taking overt action against the Maharana of Mewar, for whilst for now he deems it more fitting to lay claim to land, he is not on the side of the Mughals and all these quarrels can be dealt with once the Mughals have been done away. Were I to head west into his lands it might bring him firmly on the Mughal side and force us to wage a multi-front war which we are not prepared for now.

We shall maintain communications as the campaign progresses.
Miyan Bayezid Baz Bahadur Khan, Sultan of Malwa

@Noco19
Greetings most honoured Ubaydah Baba al-Ha'iy,
Your wisdom is renown far and wide and the strength of your words have spread from Kabul to Mandu. I find myself intrigued by many of the philosophies you argue for, and would be most honoured to offer you a place at my court. Mandu is to shine as a place for scholars of theology as well as greatness, and in you I see both in equal measure and would hasten to learn from your example.

By the hand of Miyan Bayezid Baz Bahadur Khan, Sultan of Malwa.

images

Sthānapati Thampan

Culture/Religion: Malayali, St Thomas Christian
Assistants/Family : Purēāhitan Kurian, Kan'yāstrī Mariam,Kan'yāstrī Rahel,Thoma Avraham
(Father),Purēāhitan Gheevargeese (Uncle),Paulose Thoma (Brother),Annamma Thoma (Sister)

Biography: Thampan (Thomas) was born in a rich Christian family of Merchant's in Goa he was the second son and was second in line to the families inheritance. His uncle the local priest noticed his devotion to Christ and his beautiful voice whenever he sang hymns in the church whenever he came to the church which was often.His uncle asked Thampan's father if he would allow his son to devote himself to Christ when his father agreed he was sent to the church as an altar boy.After 6 years serving as Altar boy he was sent to Muziris in Kerala to study under the Priest's at St Thomas Church he eventually was ordained as a priest 12 years later by the Bishop Markos a great leader of the Saint Thomas Christian community at that time .After being ordained a priest or a purēāhitan he set out to North India where he heard there were no christians he arrived in Nagpur around the time of the battle of panipat's conclusion. He arrived there with a small fortune (enough to build a church given to him by his rich father) and a group of followers numbering about to 20-30
(3 ordained priests,4 Woman,10 Hindu Bodyguards,4 Christian man,3 nuns and 5 servants)

After many letters to rulers around nagpur he was accepted as royal tutor to the Sultan of Malwa's son Miyan Mahmud Mirza, Crown Prince of Malwa he his retinue and ten new converts Travelled to the court of the Sultan in Mandu. As the father of the newborn Mahmud, Bahadur decided to make Thampan his Minister of Portuguese Affairs or Minister of European Affairs (Tasked with all matters relating to Malwa and Portuguese or European powers)

Last edited:
Addressed to the Sultan of Malwa; A Response and Certain Truths
Written by Haroun Abd al-Jalil, as Dictated by Ubaydah Baba al-Ha'iy

"It is true that in a desert, man gathers around a lake for sustenance, and in our mortal world of sin, man gathers around truth in quite the same manner. That is why it is of no surprise that the Truth spreads fast, and all those wise enough to sustain themselves find themselves drawn in to supp. Brother Baz Bahadur Khan, you rule over man as Allah has seen fit to provide you, but it is good that you realize that temporal reign is but a fleeting moment before Truth, and your letter is well-received, for it shows that in this plane, there exists those eager to satisfy the obligations placed upon us to traverse the bridge from mortal to divine, and those that know who truly knows the ways to cross it.

Kabul is a city of beauty; beauty is but one sign that this mortal plane was designed not solely for sin, but for us to think of what lies beyond, for if something in our mortal plane can be so beautiful as the Gardens of Babur, then imagine the glories of Heaven. But it is not the beauty for which I stay, but to speak to the people, to deliver upon them the truth, and ensure that in my wake comes heralds of truthfulness. That is why I stay, for now, and when this task is completed, I will follow the path Allah wills for me; this path, I see, may indeed lie to Malwa, and to your court.

Such I arrive, let it be known that I would come as a servant to Allah and Truth, bringing great knowledge to the people, knowledge that men such as you would be wise in supporting; indeed, should I arrive, then I could recommend no better path than to bring me within your temporal realm as adviser and councillor, so that I know my truths will be heeded. This is but thoughts for the future, but know that such thoughts are well."

To Muhammad Adil of the Suri,​

I find myself in good health, and the same can be said of Marwar. It has been many years since your forefather managed to defeat through the use of trickery and betrayal and rest assured that Marwar is now stronger than it was in the days of Sher. Your letter first came as a surprise, considering the relations we have held in the past but after some thinking I realize you might be right. The so-called Maharana of Mewar whose mother was for sure a Dalit has certainly grown as bold as he is fat and his attack against Ajmer will certainly upset the order in the region. I do not condone his siege of the city, but on the other hand I'm not a vassal you should feel entitled to order around and I don't intend to fight Pashto wars. While I can understand the need to relieve Ajmer and to keep it away from the greedy hands of the Mewari, I cannot do this for free. If I'm to relieve the city, how about entrusting its stewardship to me for the time being, until your war with Mughals ends at least?

If this proposal isn't suitable, I shall simply let Udai Singh have its way with the garrison and mourn for the lost lives. Hopefully you will see that is it is better to entrust it to me and to get it back later on than to lose it to the upstart warlord of Mewar.

Rana Maldeo Ji Rathore

To Atgah Khan, Dearest Foster Brother.

I am certain that it is apparent to you that our realm is forced into battle on many fronts. During the last war council we held, the need became apparent to become more aggressive on remaining fronts. The fortress of Gwalior is to be taken posthaste. I thus call you from your orderly business and call on you to take command of a new army to be mustered in Agra. You will march this army against the fortress of Gwalior. As with Bairam Khan and Adham Khan, you shall have access to the Imperial Treasury for the purposes of replenishing your losses in terms of material and manpower, paying the salaries of your soldiers, and to repair damage to the fortress of Gwalior as long as you are in command of this army by My Grace. I implore you to not spend unscrupulously.

Upon completion of your task, the capture of the fortress of Gwalior, I wish for you to report the situation you find yourself in at the fortress. This is because I have heard reports from our spies that the lord of Malwa is preparing for a campaign. We are not certain whether this campaign is directed against the Realm of Gondwana, or against My realm. Naturally, if the latter is the case, you shall remain in command of the army. However, if this is not the case, you may be honourably relieved of command.

I pray for your success.

-Akbar

To Jamal Khan,
Your proven loyalty to the Court and the Realm in clearing up the conspiracy facing us is to be rewarded. A decision has been made as to what this would be. We propose that you be relieved of your governorship of Mewat and be transferred to the newly governed territories of Multan, where you will govern for the coming three years. You are to finish rebuilding the fort, city, and all other damage to the lands surrounding. Furthermore, we wish for you to establish the Imperial administration in these newly conquered areas and stimulate trade with the rest of the realm. After your tenure, you are to be appointed Diwan-i-Ala.

In addition to this, you are immediately paid the sum of 2,000 ducats with an additional salary of 600 for the coming three years.

We ask you to reply and let us know if you accept your position and grants.

-The Emperor

To His Imperial Majesty,

It is with the highest honour that I accept the duties requested of me, and will carry them out with all my strength, as God intends. I am somewhat pained at the thought of leaving the city I have had under my care for so long, but I am sure that it will be under excellent leadership in my stead. I will tame the wild frontier of the Empire, and with honour uphold the law and your authority in the west for the duration of my stay.

~Jamal Khan, Loyal Servant of God and the Empire

Last edited:
463981923.jpg

To Her Excellency, Rani Durgavati Maravi Regent of Garha Mandla

It would be most valuable to your Great son the Rana of Garha Mandla that he would be fluent in several languages he is after all the Rana of Garha Mandla and he will need to gain allies. It would be my utmost honor to tutor your son in the Portugese Language as this would improve his standing with the Portugese in the South of India and I would imagine invite Prestige for being learnt and fluent in Portugese. Your grace would think learning Portugese unimportant for your war with the Moghul scourge in Delhi but when the Portugese conquered Goa they brought spices such as chilli which is very popular and spreading remember O Rani that the Portugese conquered Goa with Advanced weaponry which your Excellency would do well to remember when you receive this letter I hope that you agree with my proposal to tutor your son your Excellency.

May your son be a Great and Brave Rana and May God bless Your Excellency

-Purēāhitan Thampan Nasrani Priest residing in Nagpur

Last edited:
To your most honourable Padishah Abu'l-Fath Jalal ud-din Muhammad Akbar,

I will make travel with the Greatest of haste as to serve you, my liege. When leading forces in your name, my dear kindred-in-milk, I will endeavour to act with the benevolence and strength that you yourself possess. I will pursue this undertaking to the utmost of my ability. God-willing, the task will be swift and minimal bloodshed.

-Atgah Khan

His Excellency Francisco Barreto, Governor of the province of Portuguese India,

Greetings. Relations between the Sur's of Bengal and the Portuguese have been warm since our arrival, and I write to you with a proposal that I believe to be of mutual interest and benefit. The armies of Bengal are filled with some of the finest cavalry to have traversed the Hindu plains, however they are deficient in musketry and cannon, of which I believe the Portuguese have mastered the art of their manufacture and design. This as you have no doubt guessed do I desire the acquisition of your artillery with which to bolster my forces. In return I offer you the friendship of Bengal, and the use of the isle known as Shunno Dip where your merchants' may establish factories and your ships may berth to extend the Portuguese presence in the Bay of Bengal.

Rana Maldeo Ji Rathore,

Your proposal for overseeing the stewardship of Ajmer for the duration of my conflict with the Mughals has been deemed acceptable. My own ability to defend the city is obviously not great, so it would be better to entrust it to you for the time being.

-Muhammad Adil Shah Suri, Sultan of Jaunpur and Delhi

463981923.jpg

To Her Excellency, Rani Durgavati Maravi Regent of Garha Mandla

It would be most valuable to your Great son the Rana of Garha Mandla that he would be fluent in several languages he is after all the Rana of Garha Mandla and he will need to gain allies. It would be my utmost honor to tutor your son in the Portugese Language as this would improve his standing with the Portugese in the South of India and I would imagine invite Prestige for being learnt and fluent in Portugese. Your grace would think learning Portugese unimportant for your war with the Moghul scourge in Delhi but when the Portugese conquered Goa they brought spices such as chilli which is very popular and spreading remember O Rani that the Portugese conquered Goa with Advanced weaponry which your Excellency would do well to remember when you receive this letter I hope that you agree with my proposal to tutor your son your Excellency.

May your son be a Great and Brave Rana and May God bless Your Excellency

-Purēāhitan Thampan Nasrani Priest residing in Nagpur

To the honorable Purēāhitan Thampan,

I thank you for your proposition of tutoring His Majesty. However, it is not within my interests as regent to see His Majesty learning Portuguese. We shall not seek the help of followers of Christ under any circumstances, regardless of their supposed technological superiority. I, along with the rest of my realm, trust in our gods.

--Rani Durgavati Maravi, acting on behalf of Rana Vir Narayan of Gondwana

463981923.jpg

To His Majesty Miyan Bayezid Baz Bahadur Khan, Sultan of Malwa

Your Majesty, I propose that you fund my brainchild which shall be named the Indo-Portuguese School this School will be valuable to you and other fellow rulers in the subcontinent of India. In this School me and the 8 ordained Priests and Nuns will teach your Courtiers children and the children of Your Majesty Portuguese and other subjects such as Mathematics,Swordsmanship,Literature & Poetry. This School will be based in your Capital of Mandu if you accept this offer you might ask why Portuguese would be a important subject as you are aware the Portuguese invaded Goa with their superiority in areas of weaponry such as the musket and the cannon. The Moghuls will ravage your city and your beloved Roopmati if your army cannot meet the standards of the Moghul army which has musketry and cannons that can match the Portuguese themselves.

-- Purēāhitan Thampan Nasrani Priest residing in Nagpur

To the pious Christian Priest Purēāhitan Thampan,
Whilst your fear-mongering of actions taken by others against mine Sultanate and beloved wife stand in bad taste, I've made my will known on these matters on several occasions: all men of science, faith and artistry stand welcome in Mandu. I will even agree to help fund your ecumenical school, but beware for myself and many others in the region are aware of your growing reputation for conversion. Whilst mine belief in Allah is solid as the Kabah, and mine wife embraces the gods of her people, our people stand divided on these issues and are free to choose between those gods. I will not begrudge any that would wish to join your faithful either, but nor will I stand for forced conversions or put a halt to any of yours that may decide to convert to more... local gods.

Still, you, your people and knowledge are welcome at Mandu so long as you agree to live by the laws of the Sultanate and respect the faith of others, with the expectation that they will do the same to you.

By the hand of Miyan Bayezid Baz Bahadur Khan, Sultan of Malwa.

Teaching_Bucharest_1842.jpg

To His Majesty Miyan Bayezid Baz Bahadur Khan, Sultan of Malwa

I thank you for this position I promise that your courtiers will be fluent in Portuguese. I pray that God blesses your marriage with Roopmati and that your marriage produces many children and grandchildren.I will set off immediately for Mandu and will oversee the construction of the school which will be named the Indo-Portugese School I would like to ask for permission to build a school chapel for christian's enrolled in the school and the nuns and priest's in my retinue.I would also like to have an allowance so i may give alms to the poor of your kingdom this will of course be done in your name O Great Sultan.

-Purēāhitan Thampan Nasrani Priest

Battle of Gwalior
406px-A%27zam_Khan_captures_Fort_Dharur_%28January_1631%29.jpg

Rajput armies of Mewar and Marwar engage around Ajmer as the Afghans continue to hold the fortress

Near Agra and Delhi the Mughals started to muster a new army to be commanded by the emperor’s foster uncle, Atgah Khan. With the help of the zamindar Jalal Khan, a large army of local Muslims and Hindus was created, staffed by Mughal officers and reinforced by Moghul, Pashtun and Uzbek cavalrymen. And to the south, the Sultan of Malwa disbanded his irregular regiments and instead opted to recruit professional paid soldiers, albeit he didn’t manage to get even nearly as much artillery as he had hoped, as he decided to honor the vague alliance made with Adil Shah Suri. Both of these armies would in late autumn clash in the first major battle of Baz Bahahdur’s intervention, and first major move to threaten Mughal hold over central Hindustan. Reinforcements were also recruited from the Delhi region by Bairam Khan and sent to assist his army in order to replace the losses suffered at earlier battles.

Once Atgah Khan actually departed with his army from Agra, they were shocked to hear that Baz Bahadur had joined the war, and was already at Gwalior, having taken command of the mobile troops of the garrison. Thus Atgah Khan in turn rushed his troops to block him from trying to either advance into Bairam Khan’s rear or towards Agra. Mughal scouts spotted the army of Baz Bahadur on march towards Yamuna. The Battle of Gwalior begun on the 5th of September some sixty kilometers northeast of the city. The Mughals were surprised to actually be outnumbered, but Atgah was determined to attack nevertheless, knowing the possible dangers the Malwa army could cause.

The sudden attack by the Mughal army caught the Malwa forces off-guard, despite of them having learned of the force in advance, but it having been dismissed as a reconnaissance force. Thus, the initial Mughal assault that was one of the fiercest yet seen was almost to crumble the Malwa lines for a moment. But the regrouped forces counterattacked with their numerous war elephants and more numerous cavalry, a mass of targets that proved to be enough even for the famed Mughal matchlockmen. The Malwa superiority in the number, though not quality, of artillery also helped them win the day, though both armies were heavily bloodied. After watching many of his freshly recruited soldiers die on the fields close to river Chambal, Baz Bahadur decided to return to Gwalior, recognizing that he was unable to match the numbers of Bairam Khan’s army. Nevertheless, a few raids were successfully launched into Mughal territory after Atgah Khan withdrew to Agra, with the loot an important addition to the quickly diminishing Malwa treasuries.

While preparing to deal the decisive blow to Sikandar Shah Suri, Adham Khan also had the time to involve himself in other activities. He first and foremost greatly drilled his army, promoting officers who had shown skill and also replenished losses by privately acquiring new artillery pieces, as well as hiring further soldiers from the Punjab region. Near Kalanaur he helped the local families who had suffered due to the scorching of their farms by fleeing Sikandar Shah, while also meeting with local Muslim dignitaries in Punjab, offering gifts. All this was done by using his personal wealth, giving him plenty of fame as a benefactor. Punjab could be considered fully integrated to Mughal rule thanks to his and Jamal Khan’s actions.

After he considered his troops ready, Adham Khan marched out towards Sialkot, which was put under siege as Sikandar refused to commit battle. A few months later as winter drew closer, Sikandar Shah Suri tried to make another attempt to flee to the Sivalik Mountains, in order to return again next spring once the Mughals had left. However, sadly for him, the plan failed, as Gakhar irregulars found the fleeing the general and captured him after slaying his cavalry bodyguards. Hearing about their commander’s betrayal and surrender, the Suri garrison of Sialkot laid down its arms, and Adham Khan occupied the city in late November, now facing the trouble of what to do with the garrison and the imprisoned Sikandar Shah.

Ghiyasuddin Bahadur Shah decided to take direct control of the war effort in support of the Suris, replacing his brother after the understandable mistakes. Apparently Ghiyasuddin didn’t consider his father’s death such a major crime as Jalal, who was sent to Bengal with a task of recruiting reinforcements, though visibly sour about the demotion and the whole war effort. Nevertheless, he finalized a deal negotiated by Ghiyasuddin with the Portuguese based in Chittagong, purchasing a number of artillery pieces in return for Portuguese trade rights on Shunno Dip. While the Portuguese happily took the offer, it was uncertain how deep an alliance between Bengal and the Portuguese could grow, but there could possibly be severe implications if Ghiyasuddin happened to continue his diplomacy.

Despite of the reinforcements brought in from Bengal by Ghiyasuddin, Adil Shah Suri was wary of launching an offensive against the Mughals. A few raids were in turn done from Jaunpur, but these didn’t result in much and were rather easily driven off by Mughal guns. Lucknow fell to Bairam Khan in September, and soon Mughal riders secured a good territory around it as a buffer. A small Mughal detachment under Zaman Khan Uzbeg, almost against orders, launched a raid north of the Ghaghara, seizing sizeable territory left undefended. The only thing that saved Gorakhpur from falling to the surprise attack was the fact that Adil Shah had greatly invested in ensuring the loyalty of his governors and generals, and thus the local Amir didn’t defect despite of huge bribes. The fall of Lucknow and other territories however meant that Adil Shah lost a sizeable part of his taxation base, and possible sources of manpower, and had to resort to increasing taxes in his core territory of Bihar.

And finally, events in Ajmer took a totally new turn. Rana Maldeo Ji Rathore of Marwar had contacted Adil Shah Suri and apparently gained permission to defend and administer the city for the Suris. Thus, the Marwar army was quickly assembled, and Maldeo at its head marched towards Ajmer, determined to show Udai Singh that Marwar’s influence and claims to the city were not to be ignored. A token force from the Rathore ruler of Merta attempted to harass them, but was quickly beaten and fled to within the city’s walls. Rana Maldeo took position in the hills west of the town, clearly visible to both armies, the besiegers of Maharana Udai Singh and the besieged Afghans. This immediately gave the Afghan defenders a major morale boost, while the Mewar general Rana Jai Singh quickly realized that if they were to assault the fortress, they’d end up locked between two hostile armies.

With Ajmer locked between hills on both sides, the raids of Marwar troops had a very huge impact on the supply and morale of the besiegers. Rana Jai Singh became increasingly frustrated and finally ordered an attack on the camp of the Marwaris. However, the Marwar army quickly fled the hills and fled along the road to Nagaur, taking new camp at Pundlota. The Mewaris, slowed down by their artillery, were unable to catch the force before it had fallen back deep into Marwari territory. Meanwhile the Afghans raided the siege camp and briefly acquired supplies from the neighboring farmlands, before withdrawing inside the fortress. The whole event just served as a chance to prolong the siege, as the Afghans could catch a break in between. Thus, the fortress was still holding by the end of the year, as Marwaris had allegedly made a promise of a new relief attack in the spring.

BENGAL:
[+1,000 trade, +5 artillery from Portuguese, +2,000 inf, +2,000 cav reinforcements arrive for next year, -19,000 rupees]

BIHAR:
[+2,000 inf, +1,500 cavalry join Mughal forces, -15,000 rupees]
[-1,500 Suri cavalry, -750 Mughal cavalry, only minor skirmishes happened, Lucknow falls to Mughals, severe losses in taxation to Suris, +5,000 taxes in Bihar, +10,000 to Mughals (captured taxes, loot)]

GWALIOR:
[+15 artillery, +30 elephants, +1,400 infantry recruited by Baz Bahadur, -15,000 rupees]
[+5,000 infantry, +2,500 cavalry, +15 elephants, +5 artillery recruited by Mughals, commanded by Atgah Khan, -30,000 rupees]
[-1,750 Mughal infantry, -750 Mughal cavalry, -250 Suri cavalry, -1,250 Malwa infantry, -250 Malwa cavalry, -5 Malwa elephants, - 3 Malwa artillery, -1 Mughal artillery, -5 Mughal elephants]
[ +12,500 loot to Baz Bahadur from raids into Mughal territory, -2,500 to Mughals for lost taxation]

AJMER:
[-250 inf, -100 cav Rao Jaimal, Merta blockaded, -250 inf Merwar]
[-100 cav Merwar, -100 cav Marwar]
[Siege of Ajmer briefly broken and currently still underway]

PUNJAB:
[+2,000 inf, +1,000 cav recruited from Punjab, - 12,000 rupees]
[+3 artillery]
[-500 irregulars, -500 inf during siege of Sialkot]
[Sikandar Shah Suri captured, and his army surrenders, some flee and disband, most captured along with 5000 rupees]

Last edited:
t4joV3o.jpg

A fortress near Agra being repaired during the first full year of Akbar’s reign

Padishah Akbar moved his quickly set-up court from Delhi to Agra, wishing to make it once again the Mughal capital. While as of now only the most necessary officials were brought over, as most families and royals stayed back in Kabul, it was the first step in restoring the Mughals to Hindustan, which Akbar had no intention to leave. Despite of all the rush in setting up the administration, the young Emperor was still able to devote time to the great interest he shared with his late father, namely literature. At first, poems and texts were usually read aloud to him, but as he wasn’t able to find a courtier of high class to share a book with him, he decided to start learning reading himself. With the tutoring of Mahesh Das Birbal and a few noble Moghuls, Akbar was able to read Persian by the fall of 1557.

Together with his regent and trusted general Bairam Khan, Akbar started to lay out plans of a new administration in the core region around Delhi and Agra, where most initial reconstruction and new administration was focused. Due to the Wakil Mutlaq being mostly away on the front against Suris, not much progress was achieved, apart for restaffing the administration, rebuilding some fortress and in general repairing of the damages of the past battles, as well as some infrastructure work conducted by the military. Grain was also imported in great numbers to overcome any possible famines, but the Gangetic plain was able to yield more than enough of food to the Mughal armies and new citizens.
[+2,500 taxes to Delhi, +1,500 taxes to Agra, -12,500 rupees, +500 salaries]

Wakil Mutlaq Bairam Khan found a nice estate close to Agra, and decided to purchase it for his family, even hiring a few men to work on its fields and to introduce cash crops. The proximity to Agra would surely help him project political influence. Quite similarly Atgah Khan’s brother Mir Muhammad also purchased an estate close to Delhi to serve as the new home of their family. This similarly provides the family with additional revenue, and political influence.

In Agra, Raja Todar Mal, a former administrator of the Suris and Hemu was able to retain his position under the new rulers. To show his dedication to managing the affairs of the crucial economic center and military hub, Todar Mal announced the adoption of universal standardized scales and weights by the tax collectors of the city. Introducing a balanced mix of Persian and Indian scales, the program was a considerable success, noticeably improving the revenue collected, as well as helping the life of many bureaucrats and merchants. Indeed, the Hindu noble was praised by Mughals and locals alike. This is also brought to the young Emperor’s attention as he arrives to the city.
[+2,500 tax income in Agra, +500 trade income to Mughals]

Jamal Khan, a major Muslim Rajput zamandar from Mewat close to Delhi, is sent to assume governorship of the recently recaptured city of Multan. His first act is to show his piety and commitment to the well-being of his new subjects, as he performs charity and visits mosques and praying halls of the Muslims of the town. Also noticeable is the amount of letters sent to the west from Multan by the Khan, as well as the arrival of sketchy merchants from Balkh, with very heavy jars of assumedly some liquid. His first official act as a governor was a census of the city and its surroundings, which was fairly quickly completed and improved tax collection a bit, and in general helped strengthen Mughal rule in the region.
[+1,500 tax income in Multan]

Mah Chuchak Begum, second wife of late Humayn and mother of Mirza Muhammad Hakim, orders the construction of a new mosque in Kabul, vastly increasing her prestige in the Royal court that is still located in Kabul. Built in the Gardens of Babur, many of its construction materials were imported from India, and it becomes one of the landmark projects of the city, with planned beautiful carvings, tall minarets and impressive domes. It was said that she wished to build it in honor of the late emperor and her husband, and thus attracted many private donations for it, including from herself. While touring the construction site with her entourage, she becomes interested in the teachings of the Sufi preacher Ubaydah Baba who often liked to take strolls in the park and preach his truths. She also invited various statesmen and officers of the Kabul garrison to pay audience to her, in order to gain new political allies via gold and promises of influence. One such man is Fazli Beg, who becomes an important adviser of hers, much to the distaste of the official regent for the Mirza, Munim Khan. Indeed, due to these activities in the city, Mah Chuchak Begum easily out-influences the Royal Mother Hamida Banu Begum, who mostly just stayed within the walls of the palace and didn’t involve herself in politics.
[-2,500 rupees to Mughal treasury, Mosque under construction in Kabul, to be completed in 1560]

Listening to the truths of Ubaydah Baba becomes an important recreational activity for the Mughal notables of Kabul, as many seek to follow the example of Mah Chuchak Begum, possibly in order to get into her favour. While most only pretend to be interested, Ubaydah Baba is able to gain some followers at rather high levels of the city’s bureaucracy and within the heavy walls of the Mughal court. As the learned scholars of Kabul learn of this Sufi preacher, from a holy city above all, they invite him to debate them. These debates rarely lead anywhere, as the humorous nature of Ubaydah Baba’s arguments ends up in the imams and other pious men leaving in anger. This only helps to increase his influence, as many of the Mughal elite are opposed to the unnecessary restrictions imposed by the religious institutions, as wine is extraordinarily enjoyed by almost all of them.

The Suri ruler of Bengal, Ghiyasuddin Bahadur Shah, decided to establish a network of post offices in his realm. Connecting the various mint cities, as well as the capital at Jannatabad to Sunargaon and other ports, the system helped in the administration of the realm, and also served as an useful tool for local merchants and landowners. The Sultan of Bengal made a loyal fellow Afghan its postmaster, known as Hizbaruddin Khan. Likewise, like many other wise rulers, Bahadur Shah ordered an audit of the finances of the realm. Unlike others, he actually had a real administration to audit, and was able to root out a few corrupt crooks left over by the previous administration. Finally, the wise Sultan decided to wed a daughter of one of an influential convert zamindar near Jannatabad, gaining the wide backing of him and his extended family.
[-4,000 rupees, postal network created, +250 salary costs, +750 trade, marries Hameeda Begum]

The Sindhi capital of Thatta had been sacked by the Portuguese in 1555, as revenge for not receiving pay from Muhammad Isa Tarkhan for a job they weren’t even needed for. Destruction left behind by the 700-man force of Pedro Barreto Rolim was still visible in the city, and Muhammad Isa Tarkhan spent most of the year directing reconstruction and repopulation efforts. Thatta was revitalized as a regional center of trade, but Portuguese activities continued to harass shipping leaving and arriving to the city. Muhammad Isa Tarkhan himself toured the city and gave alms to people, greatly helping those in need.
[-5,000 rupees, +1,000 taxes from Thatta, +500 trade]

Isa Tarkhan also ordered a census to be conducted in Sindh. Such an enormous project required the hiring of many new bureaucrats, courtiers and such, and some even speculated most of the silver and gold went to pockets of intermediaries. The project was nevertheless completed, and somewhat aided taxation. Isa Tarkhan also spent some time with his troops, rewarding loyal commanders lavishly with gifts. Some silent voices in the court speculated if such a great spending spree was actually worthy for the state, but kept their mouths shut in his presence.
[-6,000 rupees, +1,000 taxation, +500 salary costs]

Near Chittor and Udaipur, Maharana of Mewar Udai Singh had a number of new irrigation canals and other infrastructure projects initiated, in a bid to aid local farmers and increase the agricultural output of the region. While Rajasthan was in no way as fertile or rich as the Gangetic plain or Punjab, the initiative certainly helped in providing the local farmers with a better living and ensuring that the Rajput armies would be supplied with enough foodstuffs.
[-5,500 rupees, +1,000 taxation]

Udai Singh also ordered the ‘bureaucracy to be cleaned’, but the Rajput administration was in fact rather loose, based on local chiefs and strong men, instead of an administration like in the Muslim empires. Thus a corruption purge didn’t do much, apart for annoy the few bureaucrats that had tried to make a living. At least the curb down was enough to placate the need of increased salary costs for the new administration of Ajmer, which was already hired by Udai Singh before the city had even been seized. Udai Singh also studied the use of artillery, and the two artillery pieces he had purchased from Vijaynagara. Together with the Hindu officers of Hemu’s army he reached a conclusion that only ways to counter the Muslim advantage in gunpowder was to either select terrain in which artillery wouldn’t be usable – or to simply try to gather more artillery and matchlocks.

Despite of going to the war-footing in the North, the Sultan of Malwa still had plenty of time to show off his royal splendor. Firstly he renovated the pavilion dedicated to his beloved Rupmati, and was soon later blessed with a heir by her, which was very vastly celebrated in the capital. Provincial elites, Afghan officers and Rajput auxiliary chieftains were all invited to the capital Mandu, were splendorous celebrations were held at the court of Baz Bahadur. While these were rather costly, they certainly inflated the fame and strength of his, and thus the war, which was rather unpopular at first due to it only being seen as an unnecessary involvement in a matter between the Suri and Mughals, received wider backing from them. But in order to not just be seen as a subordinate of the Suris, Baz Bahadur sought to actively promote his own Sultanate, mostly by lavishly paying artists and scholars who flocked from the neighboring regions to his court in great numbers.
[-2,500 rupees, +500 court costs, a son and heir is born, +250 trade due to new artisans]

Haihaiyavansi clan of the southwest, as well as many other Gondi chieftains and notables were invited to the court of Rani Durgavati, as she sought to develop further better ties in the rather loose realm, in a bid to retain and strengthen her control. While this was mostly only seen as a minor gesture of good-will, revenue from the Haihaiyavansi lands slightly increased, most likely as a way of thanking the Queen for stability and keeping the Gondi realm out of the unnecessary wars of the Muslim lords. The Rani also sought to replace state officials of dubious loyalty, but due to the Gondwana kingdom being rather decentralized, there weren’t many appointed officials to begin with, and they were all at least seemingly loyal.
[-1,000 rupees in gifts etc., +500 income from Raganpur]

The Gondi lands were abundant with forests and jungles, and thus the Rani ordered a number of the forests cut down and turned into farmland, and the lumber sold to the coast. However, many of the areas that were cut down turned out to be rather infertile or too mountainous for proper farming, and the whole program didn’t result in much, apart for a few happy Orissan lumber-merchants.
[+500 income, +1,000 rupees]

Three daughters from Maharana Udai Singh of Mewar’s lesser wives marry princes of the Gondi dynasty, and one of them was even betrothed to the young Raja Vir Naryan. This created the foundation for a possible Hindu alliance between the primary power of Rajasthan and the leader of the Gondwana, a potentially threatening bloc to any aspiring Muslim conqueror.

Rana Maldeo Ji Rathore of Marwar also had an interest in royal marriages, marrying his third son to a daughter of Raja Bharmal of Amber, greatly increasing the relations between the two Rajput states and leading to a profitable trade pact. This however caused some speculations within the court; had the Rana chose his third son as an heir-presumptive? While doing this, the Rana also tried a larger diplomatic campaign with other Rajput states, citing the need to unite against Muslim and Mewar aggression. This mantra of constant aggression from one side or another was by now quite usual in the Indian diplomatic sphere, and largely ignored, though some very nicely written letters were sent from Raja to Raja. Rana Maldeo could at least deduce that apart for the Bundi Rajputs, the Mewar Maharana didn’t enjoy much diplomatic support. However, an attempt to convince the Nagaur Afghans to surrender was a success, as the intervention in support of their compatriots gained Rana Maldeo much fame among them, and the force left the city into the hands of Mewaris, on the condition that Muslim rights would be respected and that their troops could join his army and receive pay.
[+500 trade, Afghans of Nagaur send an offer]

Rana Maldeo also ordered a census, like many other rulers of various states had, this was a slight success, and somewhat improved the administration and taxation, as well as gave him an idea on where his people actually lived and in which conditions, and which villages were mostly Muslim and which mostly Hindu.
[-2,000 rupees, +750 taxes]

The Baghela Raja of Rewah trained a new contingent of fierce Rajput warriors and looked out for plots in his court. Maybe the Raja hoped to uncover something important or interesting to bring action to his court, but he only managed to reveal a few awkward love affairs.
[+250 infantry, -750 rupees, +1 embarrassed lesser court official]

Priest Thampan moves to strengthen his small congregation in Nagpur, finding a suitable plot of land in the outskirts to build a small church on. Via donations and personal funds he is able to complete a very discreet building in the city, as he is advised to keep low-profile in order to not promote religious ire. Nevertheless he starts preaching, and a number of Hindu poors of lower castes receive baptism. This angers some Hindu notables, who sent letters of protest to their Queen. However, some residents find the Christian very useful, as he also starts giving Portuguese lessons to local merchants, enabling them to better deal with the outpost at Goa and other areas on the Western coast. However, only a few merchants have direct dealings with these settlements, so the number is relatively small compared to those who oppose him.
[Small church built, congregation of about 50 people]

The Third Sikh Guru, Amar Das, started to increasingly spread his new monotheistic religion. Men and women of faith set out from his religious capital at Goindval, spreading the faith and establishing manji and piri in Northern Punjab. Despite of wide efforts, the conversions are often rather rare, as the people lack real incentive to abandon their Hindu faith in favour of the new religion, despite of the heavy attempts at conversion. In Goindval itself, the Guru wrote a few poems and religious texts that were spread among his followers, but more importantly started constructing a new Gurdwara, after wide-scale donations from his core group of followers. With the recent Mughal interest in the reconquered areas of Punjab, the Sikhs might finally have say in political matters, but that was up to their Guru’s initiatives.
[New gurdwara in Goindval to be completed in 1559, very minor conversions in Northern Punjab]

GM NOTE: Let’s have war orders for the first half of 1558 due on Thursday at 23:59 GMT. Also an order change: the amount of personal orders is now reduced to one (1). Stats and map should be up-to-date, but I'll double check tomorrow.

When the Ubaydah Baba settled into the Gardens of Babur, and took upon the role of teacher to those that came from the Mughal courts, it was said he commanded to his nephew to record all that transpired, so that his Truths could be known more easily for all, not just those privileged to hear him in person. Inevitably, from this came interactions with the religious elite of Kabul, imams who questioned the validity of the Ubaydah Baba and his Truths. This is one such interaction, one quite enjoyed by the nobility of the city.

"Ubaydah Baba, having been invited by an Imam, found himself walking barefooted into a mosque, away from his host and towards a group of devotees. While those around him were praying "May Allah grant me faith," he spoke "May Allah grant me plenty of wine."

The Imam, having followed him with much vexation, heard him and asked angrily why instead of asking for faith like everyone else, he was asking Allah for something sinful. As was the way the Ubaydah Baba often engaged with the clergy, he answered questioning with more questions, pondering "What is it that you would pray for then?", to which the Imam replied with pride his voice, "For Wisdom and Truths to impart upon the faithful!"

The Ubaydah Baba simply replied, "Well, everyone asks for what they don't have."

To the most honoured and esteemed Rani Durgavati Maravi

It must not have escaped your vast knowledge of the affairs of the Indian subcontinent that the perfidious Sultan of Malwa has, without provocation, declared war on the Mughal realm. It is to the best of my knowledge, as well as dictated by reason, that their forces are all around the fortress of Gwalior making war against my armies and realm, where all of the Sultan's efforts are now focused.

I myself have no quarrel with you, nor do any of my courtiers, advisors, or generals, or the regent. We are all desiring of peace - peace and prosperity for all worthy dwellers of India. Yet the aggressiveness of the sultan of Malwa which has manifested itself in his war against my realm is not reserved for us. Nay, we know that you have been a victim of his aggression as much as we are right now. It stands to reason that you seek revenge for past grievances, the settling of grudges.

I propose no alliance between our realms. I propose no marriage. I seek no formal status of co-belligerence. Nay, I seek nothing of the kind as of yet. I only wish to point out to Your Majesty that with the situation being as it is, the time to settle grudges with the Sultan of Malwa, the son of sixty thousand camels, is now.

With the highest regard,

Akbar.