• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Name: Jamal Khan

Family: Bairam Khan, Regent of the Mughal Empire and Humayun are Jamal’s sons in law. Nephew of Hasan Khan.

Biography:

Coming from Khanzada stock, Jamal Khan is a major Muslim zamindar. His biggest claim to relevance is through the marriages made by his daughters to the regent and an assortment of his generals. Jamal Khan has been a figure of mediocre importance in Northern India for quite some time, preceding the Mughals themselves. He is the current serving governor of Mewat.

6308.jpg

Baz Bahadur
To the most gracious and auspicious regent of Garha-Mandla Rani Durgavati Maravi. (@Rolman99 )

I am most certain that the grave tidings of the recent battles have already reached your royal ears, and of the defeat suffered against the Mughal Empire. The situation is no doubt grave, but given the strength of our empires we would do well to join forces for mutual defense against the Mughal threat.

As such, I Baz Bahadur of Malwa would extend the offer of a defensive pact to the great Garha-Mandla to secure both our futures and allow us to find the best route in this treacherous maze we find ourselves in.

To the vile Sultan Baz Bahadur of Malwa,

Are you still of sound mind? This request must be some sort of joke, and an unfunny one at that. For you to have the audacity to request an alliance after what you have done is sickening. I care not if the Mughals invade our kingdoms, you shall find no help from me and I will take none from you.

Damn you and all your descendants.

--Rani Durgavati Maravi, acting on behalf of King Vir Narayan of Garha-Mandla

((From Wikipedia: "After the death of Sher Shah, Sujat Khan captured Malwa and was succeeded by his son Baz Bahadur in 1556. After ascending to the throne, he attacked Rani Durgavati but the attack was repulsed with heavy losses to his army."))

To the vile Sultan Baz Bahadur of Malwa,

Are you still of sound mind? This request must be some sort of joke, and an unfunny one at that. For you to have the audacity to request an alliance after what you have done is sickening. I care not if the Mughals invade our kingdoms, you shall find no help from me and I will take none from you.

Damn you and all your descendants.

--Rani Durgavati Maravi, acting on behalf of King Vir Narayan of Garha-Mandla

((From Wikipedia: "After the death of Sher Shah, Sujat Khan captured Malwa and was succeeded by his son Baz Bahadur in 1556. After ascending to the throne, he attacked Rani Durgavati but the attack was repulsed with heavy losses to his army."))

In response to the audacious response by the lady whom presumes much.

My mind lies not in question. I had thought an overture to look past the transgressions of the past in hopes of securing the future would be met with more of an open mind, but I find it as closed as ever. We would recommend you not request support nor plead for our assistance when the Mughals come knocking at your door.

Signed by the hand of Baz Bahadur.

((OOC: I was aware of that fact, but figured the change in strategic situation might've warranted a new look. ;) Good luck in the future! ))

A letter is sent to Adham Khan by the Emperor.

My dear brother,

As our campaigns continue in Bihar, there remain places that are loyal to the Suris, and as such pose potential threats. I wish for you to take command of the armies in Lahore and take the city of Multan. If you wish, you may recruit new footmen for your army. The situation of Multan also leads me to expect that there is treasure in the city or fort from taxes that have not been collected by the Suri court. If you find it, I wish for you to distribute it as follows. That you may keep a quarter, that a quarter be distributed amongst your troops, that a quarter be sent to myself, and that a quarter be dedicated to restoring damage to the city and fort of Multan. If any of that remains, you may spend it at your discretion.

I have no doubt that you will be succesful in your undertaking in Multan. After its capture, I wish for you to take your army and bring battle to what remainds of the forces of Sikander Shah. If you wish to recruit footmen or horsemen after taking Multan and before you pursue Sikander Shah, you may do so at your discretion. Our treasury shall continue to bear the costs.

Upon completion of your tasks, should you choose to accept them, you shall be relieved of your command.

May God guide you to success,

Akbar.

Adham Khan's reply to the Emperor is swift.

My most revered brother,

I accept this sacred charge with utmost pleasure and humility. It will be my great honor to bring the great city of Multan into Your Sublime Majesty's ever-widening empire and to restore order in the Punjab on your behalf.

Before God and my beloved sibling, I swear my undying enmity towards the false prince Sikandar Shah. I swear that I shall not rest until he has submitted to your holy justice or perished by my sword. He may think himself safe in his high hills, but never shall he be secure from my wrath; should he retreat to the peaks of the great northern mountains or to the very bottom of the ocean, even still shall I rake for him there.

If God wills my success, I shall endeavor to have the pleasure of presenting Your Majesty with the pretender's head upon the occasion of your majority. Then shall I be content to lay down this great burden from my unworthy shoulders and to rejoin my most august sibling in his righteous conquests.

May your reign last ten thousand years with all the blessings of Almighty God.

Adham.

Most Esteemed Sultan of Bengal, Ghiyasuddin Bahadur Shah II,

Though our branches of the Suri family have quarrelled in the past, the threat posed by the resurgent Mughal Empire makes it quite clear that we must set aside old grudges, or be swept aside by the tide of Mughal arms. There exists at the moment no greater power than the Mughals, and without support, the Suri Empire will fall. If that occurs, do you believe the Mughals will be content to rest on their laurels? They have insatiable ambition for land, and will surely seek to subjugate further territories, and Bengal could well be among their future targets.

I would not be so presumptuous as to ask for you to send your whole army to assist me, but whatever men and coin you could spare would be invaluable in the containment of the Mughals. If you fear that a consolidated Suri Empire is as much a threat to you as the the Mughals, then let me attempt to alleviate these fears. I am an honorable man, and would never be so ungrateful as to turn my blade against a man who assisted me in my hour of need. If you assist me against the Mughal Empire, then I swear, with Allah as my witness, that never shall I dare to send my armies east against you.

We are kin, and by leagues the proper course of action for us is to stand together against our common foe, the Mughals who threaten to destroy the Suri Empire and drive our legacy into the dust. I pray to Allah that you make the correct decision.

-Muhammad Adil Shah Suri, Sultan of Jaunpur and Delhi

Miyan Bayezid Baz Bahadur Khan, self-proclaimed Sultan of Malwa,

Your declaration of independence and attempt to restore the Sultanate of Malwa have been taken as grave offenses by myself and those still loyal to the Suri Empire. Your father received the governorship of Malwa by the virtue of his service to Sher Shah Suri, and you shame his memory by spitting upon the descendants and kin of his benefactor. In a time of great need for the Suri, you have recklessly weakened the empire and launched attacks against the Hindus rather than the true enemy, the Mughals.

By all rights, I should see you savagely punished for your treason, yet I find myself in great need of support following the death of my most skilled general Hemu Hemachandra Bhargava. If you renounce your restoration of the Sultanate of Malwa, swear fealty to me once more, and bring your army north to assist in my war with the Mughals, then I would offer you amnesty for your prior misdeeds and grant you your father's position as governor of Malwa.

These terms are far too generous for the crimes you have committed, and if you fail to accept them, you shall never again see such leniency.

Muhammad Adil Shah Suri, Sultan of Jaunpur and Delhi,
Too much blood has been spilt in the past years, but I find it an impossible task to shed my own post, nor should I wish it so. The restoration of the Sultanate of Malwa is here to stay. You may wish to join the queu on those intending to extinguish her flames of beauty and grandeur, but I shall not voluntarily bend the knee to a ruler whom in the same breath curses mine very name, seeks to remove mine crown and pleads for assistance against a foe far greater than himself.

I am however not blind to the current realities surrounding us, and can very well see the dangers of allowing the Mughal empire to run amock and break us one at a time, and as thus I would offer a counter-proposal to you.

In exchange for my assistance you shall acknowledge the legitimacy of mine houses rule over Malwa for today, and all the days to come. Never again shall you or your kin attempt to overthrow the now established rule we hold over Malwa. In exchange, I shall join your forces to the North with mine own and when peace has been established shall accept your overlordship over mine sultanate, paying homage and tribute to you and yours.

This is my offer, and it stands far more in the centre of the path we tread today. Your first instinct will be to spit upon it, but I urge you to consider before you do so. We find ourselves in a dangerous road and should either of us demand too much we may find ourselves paupers at best, and hanging at gibbets at worst.

Miyan Bayezid Baz Bahadur Khan, Now and Forever the legitimate Sultan of Malwa

Mughal Restoration
289px-The_defeat_of_Hemu%2C_Akbarnama.jpg

The defeat of Hemu at Panipat

It was at Panipat, on the gates of the bountiful Gangetic plain, where the founder of the Mughal Empire, the great Babur decisively defeated the Lodi Sultan in April of 1526 to secure his route towards Delhi. And slightly over thirty years later, a battle of similar scale at almost the same place guaranteed his heirs’ control over the North of India, at least for the time being. What had taken Babur years to achieve had also been quickly lost after his death. Maybe he was himself partly the faulty one, for dividing his lands between his sons according to the Central Asian tradition which was in fact quite foreign to the Indians. Or maybe it was due the fact that he died rather prematurely, leaving the twenty-three year old Humayn, yet young and inexperienced on the throne of the Mughal possessions in India. Soon the young ruler came under attack, by the Sultan of Gujarat, by revolting Pashtun nobles and even by his own brothers. Sher Shah Suri, a Pashtun general, brilliant strategist and great administrator sacked the Mughal treasury at Gaur in Bengal, before marching west to confront Humayn. After a few indecisive battles, in which the Sur troops tricked the Mughals, Humayn was ultimately beaten at Kanauj in 1540. The Mughals fled, and Delhi became the capital of the Sur Dynasty.

Humayn fled, first to Lahore, where a letter from the Sur warrior reached him. "I have left you Kabul. You should go there." Humayn fled further west, through the Thar, while pursued by the Rajputs that had allied with Sher Shah. Finally he reached the safe haven of Umarkot, the ruler of which was a Muslim Rajput appointed by Babur and who owed loyalty to the Mughals, even in their darkest times. Here, in 1542, the future Padishah Akbar was born to Hamida Banu Begum. Humayn left Sindh in 1543, determined to use Afghanistan as a powerbase for rebuilding the Mughal Empire. But his brothers in Kabul and Kandahar refused to offer aid. Thus, without lands and without gold, he was forced to seek refuge in Persia. The Shah Tahmasp embraced him, and provided him with aid and men. With this new-found ally he seized Kandahar from one of his brothers, and Kabul from another. The reconquest had begun.

Sher Shah Suri died in 1545; his son and successor Islam Shah died too, in 1554. With the strongmen gone, the nascent Sur Empire was in a full blown crisis. Three rivals for the throne all marched on Delhi, while in many cities leaders tried to stake a claim for independence. It was the perfect time for the Mughals to march back into India. Bairam Khan led the Mughal army through the Punjab virtually unopposed, the only major battle fought against Sikandar Shah Suri near Sirhind. In July of 1555, Humayn once again sat on the throne of Babur in Delhi. But as the wars against Sur loyalists, Rajputs and independent bands of Pashtun troops were still going on, a disaster befell. Humayn caught his foot in his robe, tumbled down several steps in his library and hit his temple on a rugged stone edge. The Padishah was dead and the new ruler, Akbar, was a minor. In February 14, Akbar was enthroned at Kalanaur, in Punjab. At this time, Mughal rule was confined to Kabul, parts of the Delhi region and bits of Punjab. The Sur general and former governor of Delhi, a Hindu of humble origins named Hemu, saw his chance. Taking control of the Sur fronts and armies, he decisively defeated the Mughals under Iskander Khan Uzbeg at Agra, and quickly marched on Delhi, forcing its governor Tardi Beg Khan to implore for help. Despite of all efforts to direct nearby armies to his aid, the Mughals were defeated by the Indian-Afghan army at Tughlaqabad. Hemu marched to Delhi victorious. But instead of restoring it to the Sur, he made himself Emperor, the first Hindu one in centuries.

But the reign of Hemu would prove to be short. Despite most of Mughal generals and courtiers advising a withdrawal to Kabul, the young Akbar ordered his troops to fight back. From Kalanaur under the Regent Bairam Khan, and accompanied by the new Padishah, they made their way to Panipat, once again the decisive battlefield between Mughals and the armies of Hindustan. The outnumbered Mughal army won due to military expertise and pure luck. The heavy cannons and a trench dug in front of the Mughal center stopped Hemu’s elephants, while a lucky archer hit him in the eye. The elephant of Hemu war cornered, and the wounded Emperor captured by Shah Ali Quli Khan and brought to the Mughal camp where he was beheaded by Bairam Khan. Thousands of the captives were beheaded and towers of skulls were built with their heads, to instill terror among the Hindus and Afghans. Akbar and his men triumphantly returned to Delhi and Agra, and allowed most of the Sur and Hemu era administration to retain their roles, as the backbone of what would maybe once again become a Mughal Empire. But despite of these victories, the Sur forces were still strong. Sikandar Shah Suri held many cities and forts in Punjab, even though many of them laid detached from his army that had been forced to seek shelter in the mountains, while his brother Adil Shah held the rich Jaunpur and Bihar, albeit he had lost Bengal to Ghiyasuddin Bahadur Shah II, the son of its previous Sur ruler, Shamsuddin Shah who had been killed by Adil Shah just a year before. But quickly his son had gathered an army of loyalists, and ousted the new governor appointed by Adil Shah.

Malwa and a vast track of Central India were held by Bahadur Khan, the son of Shuja’at Khan, a Suri governor. Bahadur had declared himself Sultan following the apparent collapse of Suri authority, but his attempted invasion of Gondwana in late 1556 had ended in a humiliation at the hand of the Gondi queen. The Rajputs of Rajasthan, who had never fully submitted to Babur, also stood fiercely independent, albeit neutral. And two large forts, those of Gwalior and Ajmer were held by members of what had been Hemu’s army, now again loyal to the Sur, while Nagaur was held by another band of Afghans, who had seemingly gone renegade. And the Mughal stronghold of Kabul was under some pressure, as Safavids under the new governor of Khorasan, Ismail the son of Shah Tahmasp, had seemingly occupied Kandahar, while the Timurid Mirza Suleiman of Badakhsan had carved his own domain under nominal suzerainty. But above all, Akbar and his generals had regained at least a vestige of Babur’s realm, and had averted a catastrophe that could have easily thrown the Mughals back to Kabul for good. How the young ruler intended to exploit this victory remained to be seen.

GM NOTE: The in-game date is now 1st of January 1557, and war plans for the spring campaigns (first half of 1557) are due Friday 15th at 23:59 GMT.

To the great and honorable Maharana Udai Singh of Mewar,

As I’m sure you know, us Hindu Rajputs are under threat of Muslim conquest. The boy-Emperor Ackbar may soon rule all of Hindustan if we cannot stand together. Therefore, I propose an alliance between our two kingdoms as well as the betrothal of my young son, Rana Vir Narayan, with three daughters of yours. They shall be wed when Vir Narayan comes of age.

May our nations prosper for a thousand years.

--Rani Durgavati Maravi, acting on behalf of Rana Vir Narayan of Garha-Mandla

To Rani Durgavati Maravi,

You honor me greatly with your proposal of marriage, all of us in Rajastan feel the threat of Muslim conquest greatly. I will send three of my lovely daughters to your court and am greatly pleased by the brotherhood and added security I feel with the union of our clans.

-Maharana Udai Singh

The Fundamental Truths of the Ha'iyya Order

When Ubaydah Baba al-Ha'iy came into Kabul, he came humbled in awe of its splendor, its vibrant atmosphere, and above all, its spiritual cleanliness, proclaiming Kabul to be the Medina of the East, a gem that shone brightly in a wicked world. One of the most beloved sites was the Gardens of Babur, established by the late Mughal conqueror who lended his namesake, so well-liked by the Ubaydah Baba that many of his most important sermons and teachings were given on the grounds to onlookers and listeners. It was here that the Fundamental Truths, those beliefs that were essential to the Ha'iyya, were first spoken and recorded. By order of the Ubaydah Baba, these truths were required to truly be named a follower of the order, and were the foundation for good-living in accordance with his interpretation of faith and for understanding the nature of the universe on a fundamental level. These truths are as follows:

1. "Our Universe is encompassed in Unity of Being, united in the divinity of Allah, but there exists two distinct planes separating the universe - the Divine pertaining to all that is Allah, and the Temporal pertaining to Mankind and its material world."

2. "The Divine the highest plane, imbued with the inherent grace of Allah and all that is good, while the Temporal plane is the lowest plane, imbued with the Sin of Man and his material desires."

3. "Between these two planes is a bridge, which allows Man to travel from the Temporal to the Divine, and only those who possess secret knowledge and the truths may unlock passage across it."

These three simple truths would define the Ha'iyya Order: as one explicitly in pursuit of mystic secrets, as one heavily steeped in the panentheistic outlook of groups like the Bektashi, and as one that relied on some sort of figure of instruction to guide its followers towards salvation across the bridge to connect with Allah. Ubaydah Baba, having confided his status as the Mahdi - an Islamic Messianic figure - to his nephew, privately believed himself to be the only true guide across this bridge, and this is easily seen during his first year in Kabul, as he offered his thoughts - or truths - on all sorts of theological manners, establishing himself as a custodian of many truths which he claimed only he knew.

Miyan Bayezid Baz Bahadur Khan, Sultan of Malwa,

After much painful deliberation, it has been decided that your offered proposal of retaining the Sultanate of Malwa while accepting the overlordship of the Sur Empire is acceptable, if only barely.

May Allah protect us.

325px-Hamida_Banu_Begum%2C_wife_of_Mughal_Emperor_Humayun.jpg

Hamida Banu Begum

Date of Birth/Age: 21 April 1524 (32)
Culture/Religion: Persian | Shia Islam
Family: Abu'l-Fath Jalal ud-din Muhammad Akbar (son)

Biography: Hamida Banu Begum was born in 1524 to Shaikh Ali Akbar Jami, a Persian Shia, and a friend and preceptor to Mughal prince Hindal Mirza, the youngest son of the first Mughal Emperor Babar. Ali Akbar Jami was also known as Mian Baba Dost, who belonged to the lineage of Ahmad Jami Zinda-fil. Hamida Banu's mother was Mahna Afraz Begum, who married Ali Akbar Jami in Paat, Sindh. As suggested by her lineage, Hamida was a devout Muslim.

She met Humayun, as a seventeen-year-old girl and frequenting Mirza Hindal's household, at a banquet given by Dildar Begum, Babar's wife and Humayun's stepmother in Alwar. Humayun was in exile after his exodus from Delhi, due to the armies of Sher Shah Suri, who had ambitions of restoring Afghan rule in Delhi.

When negotiations for Humayun's marriage with Hamida Banu Begum were going on, both Hamida and Hindal vehemently opposed the marriage proposal, possibly because they were involved with each other. It is seems probable that Hamida was in love with Hindal, though there is only circumstantial evidence for it. In her book, the Humayun-nama, Hindal's sister and Hamida's close friend, Gulbadan Begum, pointed out that Hamida was frequently seen in Hindal's palace during those days, and often attended parties organized by their mother, Dildar Begum.

Initially, Hamida refused to meet the Emperor, eventually after forty days of pursuit and at the insistence of Dildar Begum, she agreed to marry him.

The marriage took place on a day chosen by the Emperor, an avid astrologer, himself employing his astrolabe, at mid-day on a Monday in September, 1541 (Jumada al-awwal 948 AH) at Patr (known as Paat, Dadu District of Sindh). Thus she became his junior wife, after Bega Begum (later known as Haji Begum, after Hajji), who was his first wife and chief consort. Hamida Banu Begum is also known as Maryam Makani. The marriage became "politically beneficial" to Humayun as he got help from the rival Shia groups during times of war.

Two years later, after a perilous journey through the desert, on 22 August 1542, she and Emperor Humayun reached at the Umerkot ruled by Rana Prasad, a Hindu Sodha Rajput, at a small desert town, and the Rana gave them asylum. Two months later she gave birth future Emperor, Akbar on the early morning of 15 October 1542 (fourth day of Rajab, 949 AH), he was given the name Humayun had heard in his dream at Lahore – the Emperor Jalal-ud-din Muhammad Akbar.

In coming years, she took on numerous tough journeys to follow her husband, who was still in flight. First the beginning of the following December she and her new born went into camp at Jūn, after traveling for ten or twelve days. Then in 1543, she made the perilous journey from Sindh, which had Qandahar for its goal, but in course of which Humayun had to take hasty flight from Shal-mastan, ‘through a desert and waterless waste.’ Leaving her little son behind, she accompanied her husband to Persia, here they visited the shrines of her ancestor, Ahmad-e Jami and Shiites shrine, of Ardabil in Iran, the place of origin of Safavid dynasty which helped them immensely in the following years . In 1544, at a camp at Sabzawar, 93 miles south of Herat, she gave birth to a daughter, thereafter she returned from Persia with the army given to Humayun by Shah of Iran, Tahmasp I, and at Kandahar met Dildar Begum, and her son, Mirza Hindal. Thus, it was not until 15 November 1545 (Ramdan 10th, 952 AH) that she saw her son Akbar again. In 1548, she and Akbar accompanied Humayun to Kabul.

In May 1545 Sher Shah Suri died, and after that his son and successor, Islam Shah died too in 1554, disintegrating the Suri dynasty rule. In November 1554, when Humayun set out for India, she stayed back in Kabul. Though he took control of Delhi in 1555, he died within a year of his return, by falling down the steps of his library at Purana Qila, Delhi, in 1556 at the age of 47, leaving behind a thirteen-year-old heir, Akbar.

IbdAHUp.jpg
Name: Mah Chuchak Begum
Date of Birth/Age: 21 November 1525 (Age 31)
Culture/Religion: Persian/Shia
Family: Shahzada Mirza Muhammad Hakim (son), Sakina Banu Begum (daughter), Bakht un-Nissa Begum (daughter), Amina Banu Begum (daughter)

Biography: The sister of Bairum Oghlan of Arghun, Mah Chuchak early years were peaceful and quiet, living out her early life in Bukkur. When the Mughal Empire arrived in Bukkur, the Emperor of the Mughals, Humayun, was struck by her beauty and grace. Upon meeting Mah Chuchak, Humayun declared that he would marry her, and in seven days, he did. After an elaborate and expensive ceremony, she was married to Emperor Humayun, becoming an Empress in her own right. Suffering the loss of her firstborn son, Farrukhfal Mirza in 1550, Mah Chuchak began to grow incredibly protective of her children, almost to the point of insanity. Whilst married to Humayun Mah Chuchak began to develop an intensely ambitious personality, and after the birth of her second son, Mirza Muhammad Hakim, her ambition only grew. One of her greatest victories was the securing the her son's nomination as Governor of Kabul in 1554, only one year after his birth. With her son still an infant, Mah Chuchak became the Regent of Kabul alongside Munim Khan, an influential General and veteran of Humayun's wars. Although devastated by the death of Humayun, the loss of her husband has only become a minor event in Mah Chuchak's life and her ambition and desire for power is still as relentless as it was before.

Last edited:
Capture of Multan
y0dRmdL.jpg

The Fortress of Multan

While Akbar and his generals settled down in Delhi and Agra, they soon received news from the West. Sikandar Shah Suri had regrouped his army and descended down from the Sivalik hills of Northern Punjab, in a bid to claim his own slice of Punjab while the Mughals were preoccupied with the war against his brother in the east. In late November, Sikandar Shah defeated the Mughal general Khizr Khwaja Khan near Sialkot, and occupied the city. Thus, as the message reached the Mughal command in Agra, the young Emperor called for a meeting of his trusted generals. It was agreed that his foster-brother, Adham Khan would take care of Punjab, while Bairam Khan was to stay with him in Delhi, to re-establish an administration and to pursue the war against Suri forces in their fortresses and along the Ganges.

Riding fast with only a small personal bodyguard, Adham Khan arrived to take command of the Army of Punjab at Lahore in mid-December, replacing Khizr Khwaja Khan and making him a lieutenant in the army. Then he quickly began to muster more troops for the military, recruiting men from the countryside and from the old Pashtun and Turkic settler families. Skilled infantry and cavalrymen joined his ranks, and he also gained valuable allies from the Gakhar clans of the Salt Range, who had been sworn allies of Humayn for long. With his new army reorganized and up-to-strength in early spring, Adham Khan left for Multan, leaving behind a strong garrison. Sikandar Shah had been building up his strength at Sialkot, but was caught off guard by the sudden advance of Adham Khan; he wasn’t yet ready to move on him. The Mughal army also advanced faster, and by the time Sikandar Shah had advanced southwards to intercept it, the Emperor’s foster-brother was already at the gates of Multan. Even before that, rumors spread by Mughal cavalrymen, scouts and agents had reached Multan, according to which Sikandar Shah had perished in battle against Adham Khan near Lahore.

Despite of the presence of a decent-sized, but poorly motivated garrison of Suri loyalists, the city itself wasn’t exactly prepared for a siege. The officers, mostly stragglers behind and not exactly too loyal to the Suri cause, especially now that Sikandar Shah was apparently dead, decided that instead of a lengthy siege they could also agree to a very promising offer coming from Adham Khan. The city of Multan was home to the taxes collected by the remnants of Suri administration in Southern Bengal over the past year or so. One quarter of the treasury would be theirs if they surrendered and swore to join the Emperor’s forces. After a brief disagreement, a number of disgruntled and fortune-seeking Afghans slew their commanders and opened the gates to the Mughals, who much to everyone’s surprise kept their word. One quarter of the treasury was directly seized by Adham Khan, while one quarter was put to imperial treasury – mostly used to pay for the troops recently recruited and the remaining part was used to strengthen the fortress and restore a few public buildings that had fallen to poor condition due to mismanagement, with Adham Khan taking the rest. Adham Khan enjoyed his stay in Multan until news reached him of Sikandar Shah’s attempt to besiege Kalanaur. He then created a new garrison for the city, composed of both Mughal troops and former Suri garrison, who were now a liability due to their discontent with the treachery. Thus they were split between the army and the garrison. But only numbering a thousand in total, they weren’t much of a concern to Adham Khan.

Meanwhile the Gakhar allies of the Mughals launched raids against the Suri fortresses near Sialkot, forcing Sikandar Shah to split his already small army to two. Then, as news reached him of Multan’s fall and the fact that the now even larger army of the Mughals was marching straight at him, Sikandar Shah gave orders to abandon the siege of Kalanaur, and the army withdrew to Sialkot after burning fields and farms behind them. In late May Adham Khan arrived back to Lahore in order to plan the final campaign to bring down Sikandar Shah. Most importantly, with Multan the south of Punjab was secured without spelling much blood apart for a few clashes, and now with Lahore occupied by a large Mughal army the route from Kabul to Delhi was secure enough for Mughal officials and traders to traverse without a military contingent. On the other hand, celebrations on a too large scale where still premature, Multan was but one city, and Sikandar Shah was still alive in reality.

[+5,000 to Mughal treasury, a large treasure passes to Adham Khan’s hands]
[Mughals capture Multan]
[Sikandar Shah Suri takes Sialkot and reinforces his army]
[+1,500 inf, +1,000 cavalry, +1,500 Gakhar irregulars to Army of Punjab, -11,250 (recruitment costs)]

GM NOTE: First of the minis going up now, rest will follow tomorrow. Sorry about the delay, blame real life events in certain country.

Siege of Ajmer
FteDdnb.jpg

Rajput Army commanded by Maharana Udai Singh and general Jai Singh arrives outside Ajmer

Maharana Udai Singh of Mewar called his commanders, generals and leading noble members of the Sisodia Rajputs. The Maharana spoke of war, one waged to prevent the Muslim powers from threatening the Mewar state while they kept warring each other. The fortress of Ajmer, still occupied by a Suri garrison, was in the middle of the Rajput principalities, and could be used by either Mughals or the Suri to re-establish sovereignty over the region. Thus, the decision was reached to attack and seize Mewar while the two Muslim empires were still at war, and while both of them still existed. The Rajput warriors assembled in Chittor over the winter and began to march towards Ajmer in February. Maharana also sought to get his hands on artillery pieces. These turned out to be rather costly and hard to acquire, but finally he had two pieces smuggled in from Vijaynagara. These weren’t even close as effective – or heavy as Mughal or Suri counterparts, but they were the first known artillery pieces in the hands of a Rajput state. Udai Singh also lavishly paid a few deserted artillerymen of Hemu’s army to become his artillerymen.

The Rajput army reached Ajmer, where the local militia and Afghan musketeers and cavalrymen tried to delay them, but in vain. Some of the Hindu irregulars deserted, while the rest retreated to the fortress, bolstered in strength by some of the local Muslim residents. Ajmer was located in a secure position between valleys, but the understrength Suri army was forced to abandon the countryside, instead opting to hide behind the city walls, which they believed to be impregnable. But Udai Singh put his new artillery to action, firing projectiles at the gates and walls, though there quickly was a shortage of ammunition. Nevertheless, the situation within the besieged city quickly became rather poor, and it was unlikely the Afghan defenders would last much longer without any outside aid. The siege of the important city would certainly irritate both the Sur and their Mughal opponents, but also potentially the Marwar Rajputs, who had occupied the city till and were already at odds with Mewar due to the dispute over Merta. In order to secure the siege, Rana Jai Singh the Rajput commander had a fortified siege camp built next to the city, with proper living quarters for the besiegers. This was costly, but greatly reduced the besiegers’ attrition and increased morale. Many of the Rajputs were certain of a quick victory.

[-4000, +2 artillery]
[-1,000 (siege camp), -250 irregulars, -250 inf, -1 elephants to Mewar]
[-1000 irregulars, -250 cavalry to Suri garrison of Ajmer]

Battle of Salhiapura
The_War_Elephants_Citranand_and_Udiya_Collide_in_Battle.jpg

Elephants of Bairam Khan and Adil Shah Suri collide in battle

Adil Shah Suri’s sudden decision to ally with the rebellious Sultan of Malwa certainly caused some ire among his generals and courtiers. But soon, it proved to be a wise decision, as this apparent show of mercy and diplomacy resulted in a far more important alliance. The rebel Sultan of Bengal who had taken up arms after his father’s death at the hands of Adil Shah sent a letter to Jaunpur, promising support in the upcoming campaign against the Mughals. These promises suddenly changed the defeatist mood among the Afghan officers, and the preparations for a new campaign were started. Ghiyasuddin Bahadur Shah sent his brother Mirza Jalal Khan and Amir Taj Khan Karrani with a detachment to aid, and they reached Jaunpur just in time for the campaigns of the season. However, at an official meeting between the Suris and their officer, a fight quickly broke out between Mirza Jalal and Adil Shah, as the Mirza ended up presenting malevolent comments regarding his father’s death. Only the intervention of Khan Karrani prevented the prince from jumping on the Sultan of Jaunpur. Rest of the meeting was held in a very strained mood. Adil Shah decided to still go with the plan of including the aid, but decided to order his officers to keep a good watch on them.

Meanwhile Bairam Khan had left Delhi with the main Mughal army in February, marching towards Kanauj, re-establishing an increasing order along his way. Suri spies and stragglers of Hemu’s army reported these movements to Jaunpur, and in January Adil Shah marched his army to confront the Mughals who had camped near Kanauj. The intentions were possibly to prevent the Mughal army from crossing. But Bairam Khan and his generals had scouted the area near Jaunpur in advance and concluded that it was the best site to cross, due to the shallow nature of the river Ganges close to the city, and due to the protection offered by its garrison and Mughal outposts. Adil Shah observed the movements from a camp southwest of Lucknow, and opted to move in and block the Mughal army advancing eastwards. A cavalry raid was launched at the crossing, but the Mughal cannons from the other shore and from barges inflicted heavy casualties. Adil Shah withdrew his men inland, and decided to try another attempt at a small creek west of the small town of Salhiapura, on the road between Jaunpur and Lucknow.

The joint Suri forces had a clear advantage in cavalry, but they lacked matchlockmen and cannons, which the Mughals had a vast quantity of. Thus the Battle of Salhiapura, on 22nd of April 1557, once again proved the necessity of these modern weapons on any battlefield. The Suri forces planted their cannons and infantry formations on the other bank of the creek, while cavalry were hidden away from the field, in order to be used to swing into battle against the crossing Mughals. As the Mughals approached the small bridge over the creek, the plan went into action, with cavalry charging against the advancing army. However, the Mughals were experienced enough to counter charges like this, a Hemu had tried to break the morale of the Mughals with his horde of horses and elephants just a few months before. Mughal carriages were stopped and turned over, with matchlockmen taking position, while artillery was similarly quickly put into action under the command of Ali Quli Khan. At first the Mughals’ own cavalry under the Uzbek Begs and irregular infantry took heavy casualties but soon with more organized defense the Suri losses turned heavy. Even a fierce attack of war elephants couldn’t break the Mughal formations, while the more numerous Mughal infantry stormed the river crossing, attacking Suri defenders.

For a moment it seemed like the Suri had managed to pin down the Mughals from three flanks, but then Jalal Khan noticed that his men were starting to take far heavier losses than those commanded by Adil Shah. He was also the farthest away from the other troops. Immediately, bad thoughts filled the Bengali’s brain. Was Adil Shah about to leave him to die at the hands of the Mughals, just to have him share his father’s fate? Jalal Khan gave the command to his men to fall back, and retreated across. The sight of the other cavalry flank fleeing gave the signal to the others, and panic ensued among the ranks of those sent to harass the Mughal contingent’s rear and flanks. Adil Shah ordered the artillery to blow up the bridge and gave an order to retreat, recognizing the situation as impossible to save. At first the Suri withdrew to Lucknow, but with a Mughal army too close a retreat to Jaunpur was ordered. The Mughals meanwhile began a siege of Lucknow in May. With the huge dispute between Adil Shah and Mirza Jalal already having led to a huge blunder, it was up to the Suri to either to reach an agreement or send the angry prince back home.

[Mughals cross the Ganges and besiege Lucknow]
[-4,000 cav, -1,500 inf, -1,000 irregulars, -5 elephants, -2 art to Adil Shah Suri’s Army]
[-1,500 cav, -1,000 inf, -3 elephants to Bengali Suri Army]
[-4,000 cav, -2,500 inf, -5 elephants to Mughals]

GM NOTE: Let's have war orders for the second half of the year, as well as the turn orders (which most of you have already sent) due on Thursday at 23:59 GMT

Miyan Bayezid Baz Bahadur Khan, Sultan of Malwa,

Through our previous communication, you had stated that you would take your army north, to assist my army in defeating the Mughals. The lack of your forces was sorely felt at Salhiapura, and I have begun to question whether our agreement regarding your status has any meaning. Yet an opportunity arises for your inaction to prove useful. The Maharana of Mewar has besieged the fortress of Ajmer, hoping to take advantage of our war with the Mughal to expand his domain, like a vulture. He believes that because my army is unable to engage him, he is free to pick away at my lands. He is most mistaken.

You are to take your army and relieve Ajmer. The Hindu scavengers must be shown that this is not an opportunity for them to strike at us. Once this has been done, your army will be needed in the north to defeat our real enemy, the Mughals.

Rana Maldeo Ji Rathore of Marwar,

Greetings most noble Rana, I trust this letter finds you in good health. I write to you regarding a mutual enemy of ours, the Maharana of Mewar. He has struck against my fortress of Ajmer without warning or provocation. I'm sure you are well aware of the position of this fort being most dangerous to you if held by an enemy. The Maharana has long antagonized you, and would surely only grow more bold if he gains Ajmer. I on the other hand, would much rather establish peace with my neighbors, and see relations between our realms remain stable and uneventful. Thus, I am sure you can agree that it is in neither of our interests to see Ajmer fall to Mewar.

I would relieve Ajmer myself, if the Mughals were not presently invading my empire. The cowardly Maharana knows this, and believes he will secure Ajmer without reprisal. I ask that you see him prove mistaken, by relieving Ajmer. If Mewar's power grows unchecked, how long will it be before they turn against Marwar?