• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My dear brother-in-law, Pyrrhos, king of Epeiros

The situation here in my lands have worsened, since my last messages to the Greek world. The Romans are now attacking from two sides and my armies are deeply in trouble as the Romans are a formidable enemy. I know you have tried to stop their advances earlier in your life, but this time, we can help each other and destroying these romans who terrorize every village they come through. I urge you to help me to fend against the Romans so that they might never become a threat the Greek world. I await your response.

Your brother-in-law, Archagatus, Tyrant of Syracuse

To the leaders of the Greek world

We here in Magna Graecia, request the help of your great lords to defeat the Romans who, if we fail to contain, invade the Greek world and submit you to their barbaric rule. They will romanize your people and slaughter and whereever they go. Therefore, assemble your massive armies and lead the Greek people to victory.

Archagatus, Tyrant of Syracuse

Archagatus khairein Archelaos;

It has come to my attention that you request my help. I must confess I was taken aback when I heard the people of magical Greece wanted me to assemble troops on their behalf, but I assume this must be a Syracusan expression I didn't know of. Nevertheless, I don't fear these Roman barbaroi and I am certain you will prevail. Still, I must voice my surprise, I had been led to believe this was a conflict over the fortifications of some polis, not a war against Hellenic civilization as a whole. We are superior to them in every way and I fail to see how they could ever 'romanize' us, even if they did conquer us - which they never will. Stay grounded in reality, and fight well. Know that I shall support you and hope for your victory in this border conflict.

Euthukei

Why was he surrounded by lunatics asking for his help? The antipathetic Antipatridai woman who thought her unknown brother should be his primary concern had already annoyed him, but this talk of magic Greeks about to get slaughtered and romanized - whatever that meant - was something else altogether.

Name: Basileus Harpalus of Baktria

Culture: Macedonian

Biography:

Son of Philippos, satrap and then Basileus of the lands of Baktria and Sogdiana, Harpalus was but a young man when Alexandros Megas had passed and his father shouldered the burden of ruling the eastern satrapy. However, Harpalus would prove himself capable, serving as his father's most trusted commander, quickly proving his worth during his assistance with Peithon of Media in stopping a Hellenic exodus from the east.

Harpalus would continue to serve Baktria, both as a commander during its wars, and as an assistant to the task of governance. During this time, Harplaus would find himself a native Baktrian noblewoman to be his wife, siring many children. To Harpalus, the ways of the east were quite interesting, having a mystical property. Finding fascination in Zoroastrianism, Harpalus would be a patron to its clergy, often guiding his father towards incorporating their beliefs into the temple systems of Baktria.

Now with his father passed, and Harpalus a man full grown for a long time, it is his time to rule, and to raise his own successor.

Last edited:

zxNeYCv.jpg

Βυζάντιον
Byzantion​

To Basileus Amyntas, Hegemon of Thrakian League

The leaders of Byzantion agree to your proposal in this time of great danger. News have reached us about a complete destruction left behind by the Celts in the lands of the Thracians, these barbarians are apparently even worse than the ones we have met before, like the Scythians or Getai. Of course, expansion of the walls of Byzantion is now a necessity. Thus we will immediately make preparations for your officers and engineers to be able to start the work at once. Donations will also be collected from the polis itself, to help fund our part in the endeavor. May Byzantion prevail and shine over Thrace just like its lighthouses shine over the Propontis.

_ _ _

465px-Rogozen.jpg

Βασίλειον Ὀδρυσῶν
Odrysian Kingdom​

To Basileus Amyntas

The fall of Lysimakhos and the destruction of the most stabilizing Greek power in Thrace certainly have had its part in this. I am still married to his daughter, but now she is an outcast. Help coming from Macedon or Pyrrhos is unlikely. I fear that the hegemony my ancestors and father created over Thracian tribes is close to an end. And that would of course be a terrible event, as I would no longer be able to protect the tribes from each other, or discourage them from attacking all the Hellene settlements. And of course the trade links that have taken so many years to foster would break apart. Thus I implore you to come to my aid; I would of course reward you one way or other. The Celts have taken over vast territories from the Serdi and Bessi, and I have even abandoned Seuthopolis. As of now I write to you from my ancestral homeland, as I gather one last army to attempt to stop the Celtic menace. If I fail, the Celts or some of the tribes that have betrayed me might soon stand before Byzantion, Odessos or Mesembria.

Kotys II of Odrysai
_ _ _

ZRKoGF7.jpg

Hayasdan
Armenia
To Ariarathes son of Eumenes

My dear brother-in-law, it would of course be a great honour to host you at Armavir. Albeit the city might lack the glorious buildings and facades of Pontic cities founded by the Great Eumenes, at least you can enjoy the mountains and apricots. Your sister Laodike was delighted upon hearing about your letter, for she looks forward to seeing you after all these years. As do your nephews, there are a number of lovely children she has delivered to me. The eldest son, Sames, is to be my heir and right hand once he reaches that age and wisdom. The boy will surely surprise you, for Laodike has taught him to speak proper Greek, and he takes great interest in the few Greeks that happen to reside here. Maybe you should take him and his mother to Anatolia with you, for a year or two. But first, let us host you in Armenia!

Orontes III of Armenia

GM NOTE: Remember that orders are due today.

Last edited:
King of Macedonia makes following proclamation:
Due to Audelons ineptitude in securing Paeonia and failure to organize defence against the invaders I have no choice but to stop supporting his claim to crown of Paeonia. For here on Antipatros son of Patraus has my full support and i deem him rightful king of Paeonians.

Orontes, my beloved brother, it is such a pleasure to see you at last! It's been years since I saw you but I can say that you look as bright and youthful as you did the last time we met. If the years have been as kind to my sister as they've been to you, then you must be a blessed man. I was but a child when she left Comana to become your spouse and I'm eager to meet this side of m family at last.
But before I can enjoy her presence and that of your children I must bring up important matters. As you know Archelaos isn't one to let opportunities slip away and as he learned I meant to visit you, he asked me to tell you he wishes to deepen the ties between your realms, notably in commercial matters. Compared to other Hellenic kingdoms, Anatolia isn't a true trading power and our products are mostly consumed by Anatolians themselves but trade can make both countries and their rulers wealthier. I am unsure how you would want that to take place, but Archelaos thinks trade can strengthened and I share this belief. As a matter of fact, I believe there are opportunities for you to seize through Phasis and the Pontic coatsline that is under your control. The Pontic Sea isn't as crowded as the ones south of Asia, but that doesn't mean there is nothing to improve there. My own Herakleia Pontike for instance could very well help you import Hellenic products and hel you reach farther markets for your own goods.

He paused. He was coming off too strong, and had to remind Orontes that he had come for leisure, not for his own good. He'd try convincing him later.

There you, go, I've told you what I was asked to tell you. Now that this rather tiresome part is behind us, how about showing me what my nephews and nieces look like? Your boy Sames must be noteworthy if you mentioned him in your letter, and I can't wait to see him with my own eyes.

Armavir certainly wasn't as civilized as Herakleia, couldn't hold a candle to the renewed parts of Sinope, but still it was a nice change from what he had grown used to. He had never been close to Laodike but she had sought his company, as she was clearly felt some nostalgia for her homeland and he had been content to entertain her. Her son's Greek was good, even if he had a clear accent. Her own Greek wasn't as pure as he remembered it, but he wouldn't dare mention it before them. The boy himself looked clever and had a deep interest in the outside world. He looked a bit like Archelaos when he was younger, he thought. Hopefully he'd make a good king.

Well Sames, if you really want to I can certainly let you accompany me. But I must warn you that I don't plan on going back to Sinope for the time being, I've been there, to Comana, Mazaca and Trapezous but I still wish to cross the sea and see the battlefields where my brother fought. If you're interested in visiting the Bosporan Kingdom your company is welcome, but make sure your parents agree with the idea. I wouldn't want Orontes to be mad at me after all.

That was very good indeed. If the boy came along, he'd have more time than he needed to turn him into an ally. A trip to Taurica wouldn't hurt either, as far as he was concerned. He believed Orontes had seen the advantages in trading more with Anatolia - and Herakleia in particular - but Sames' help could help cast away whatever caution the king had left. Everything was under control.

Pairisades khairein Ariarathes;

Perhaps news from my travels have already reached your ears but in either case I wish to tell you I've undergone a lengthy journey across the region to meet friends, make new ones and visit family members I hadn't seen in years. I would like to make a stop in you kingdom. I wish to now more about the battles Miltiades fought and about you and your people. Perhaps we'll be also able to discuss the ongoing situation near Hellas and how it might affect the vital grain and slave trades. Young prince Sames of Armenia is likely to come along with me and in your kingdom I'm certain he'll be able to experience true Hellenic life, as opposed to what he has known until now.

Euthukei

Kotys khairein Amyntas:

Indeed, i shall come to your aid, for i fear that should you be defeated, many Thrakian warriors will join with the Celts, to sack many more cities. For now, Kabyle and Seuthopolis remain unsacked, although this may change until i can send you forces. Know that even with my support, for i can not send you all my soldiers, we will not be able to face both bands of Celts at once, however i believe that defeating one of the two decisively will make them at least fear that to conquer Thrakia they will need more men than the land is worth.
Amongst the men i will send are Bithynias strongest horsemen, and upon the site of a strong charge of the lance, we will break the lines of the Keltikoi. Hold Kabyle for now, for we should make the most out of either of our advantages over the Keltikoi, walls and Horses.
They came for Gold and Silver, let them have only blood and steel.

Amyntas was unsure about his course of action, but even if his army was defeated, he saw further chances for himself.

To King Karanos,

It gladdens me that my kin have made such strong friendship with your own peoples; my father felt great sympathy for the loss of Peithon when he heard the news. It would be an honor to attend your festivities, so I shall happily accept. This affair shall not doubt serve to bind our lands together even more, and perhaps we can speak of future plans together.

- Basileus Harpalus

Seleukos health changed by the day, one day good and another bad. It was becoming clearer and clearer that he would not survive for long and as such he had summoned both his sons to his chamber. Their rivalry had increased over the last two years, both believing they were the rightful heir. Despite Seleukos previous statement, it had still not been accepted who he had decided to succeed him, and as such he took the next step. Antiochos was pronounced as co-king, together with his father, and Achaeus was sent to Persia to govern the local area in the name of his father.

It had been a tiresome year. The constant activity had worn him out, in Herakleia everything had been organized as he wanted it to be, and he always knew who he could count on and who he needed to ensure things ran properly. He might have fallen into a routine, and perhaps it wasn't bad he had been forced to think, court and plot again and start nearly from the bottom. He felt very much like he had during the months that preceded and followed Miltidaes' unfortunate death, that was certain.

There were bright sides to this trip. First of all, the thrill that came along with intrigue was highly fulfilling and he didn't mind the fatigue if it meant he was enjoying himself. He could slowly put some plans together, and he was ready for anything that could happen, or he thought he was ready. Unless Archelaos bluntly assassinated him, his position was secure and might even get strengthened. He doubted his brother would swoop so low, at least in the open.No, all things considered he didn't fear Archelaos.

The boy's presence was an unexpected advantage as well. He wouldn't have expected him to be anything else than a current nuisance and a future asset but he was entertaining and had made the trip to Taurica less annoying than it would have been otherwise. It didn't mean he had forgotten about his objectives and the young man was now thoroughly convinced Ariarathes was the best councillor he could dream of and backed his plan of ties between Herakleia and Armenia. It would benefit Archelaos without the shadow of a doubt, but it would also make him vital to maintain good relations between Armenia and Anatolia. And this made him too valuable to be disposed of. if Herakleia was to grow larger and wealthier, so would his clout and treasury. Altogether the boy's friendship had to be cultivated, but the mere fact that his friendship was enjoyable was a pleasant surprise.

The King of the Bosporans wasn't made of the same cloth, that was for sure. He was more than willing to discuss with Ariarathes, viewed trade with Anatolia as an endeavor worth pursuing but wasn't willing to help him make Herakleia a center of trade – yet. Time was on his side and he believed the youg and stil quite undecisive king would end up folding, but it meant Arirathes had to sway courtiers and friends of Pairisades to convince him in his stead. Well, perhaps that was a boon too, such contacts could always prove useful in the future.

Tp Archagatus, Tyrant of Sicily

My dear brother-in-law

While it is only natural that I come to your aid, and I wish nothing but that, the campaigns against the Keltikoi tie my hands. I would advice you inflict as much casualties on the Romanoi as possible and if all else fails ensure they can not reach you on Sicily. Once the Keltikoi are disposed of, I shall be coming to your aid soon.

With regret I send this message,

Pyrrhos

Celtic Invasion of Macedonia
3t7UtKS.jpg

With Cerethrius considerably detached from the other Celtic warlords, and by now threating Epirus and the Taulantians, Pyrrhos chose him as his target. The army of Epirus was assembled, joined by various subject tribes such as the Taulantians, and marched to face the invading warbands of Cerethrius. Close to Lake Lykhnidos, the Celts were met by the combined army on the banks of river Drilon. The Celts attempted to fight their way around the flanks, as the Epirote phalanx proved to be very decisive by holding wave after wave of Celts away. The attack from the flank, with the use of the Celtic cavalry tactics called trimarcisia, was very successful and for a moment the Taulantians routed after their king Glaukias fell off his horse and was brutally slain by the Celts. But the Celts due to their barbarian nature started to celebrate too early. Pyrrhos counterattacked with the Molossan Agema and his royal peltasts, sowing chaos to the disorganized bands of Celts. A few, including the followers of Cerethrius were enveloped while the rest fled to gather their loot. Cerethrius and the leaders were killed, while a few thousands managed to make their escape northwards.

The retreating bands of Cerethrius ended up retreating through the territory of the Dardanians. King Bardylis led a new campaign against the intruders, hunting down most of the Celtic groups, slaying and capturing hundreds. Only a small part of the band managed to escape back to Pannonia or to Paionia which was increasingly marauded by the Celts of Brennos. Bardylis tried to use the chaos to bring inter tribe trade under the control of the Dardanians. But with the trading collapsing due to the Celtic migrations and raids, nothing really happened. A few merchants went to the Taulantians who thanked the Dardanians for doing their part in defeating Cerethrius. Bardylis also reinforced his armies.

Brennos didn’t come to the aid of Cerethrius, for a reason. Together with Comontorius and a part of Bolgios’s host he had decided to invade Macedon proper. A few scattered raids reached down to Almopia, while Comontorius continued to pressure the surroundings of Philippi. Philippos assembled the Macedonian army at Amphipolis and begun to march east along the coastal road. From Philippi Philippos and his officers contacted the tribes to the north, recruiting them as auxiliaries and urging them to defend against the Celts. However, with Brennos arriving from the west, the Celtic numbers were too much for the Odomantes and others to handle, and the tribes broke. Then Brennos and Comontorius lead their warbands to the plains outside of Philippi. Here the battle of Philippi between Macedonians and Celts unfolded.

The Macedonians were faced with over thirty thousand Celts, while their army was only a little over fifteen thousand man strong. The phalanx and the cavalry fought bravely, but the fierce Celtic attacks on the flanks, and the effective use of cavalry slowly took their toll. Veteran after veteran fell, with many Macedonian heroes of the previous wars slain by Celtic swords or stomped on by Celtic horses. The battle that had begun promisingly for the Macedonians started to look desperate. Philippos finally declared the order to withdraw, ceding the field to the Celts. The countryside of Philippi was ravaged, but the city held due to its strong garrison. The Macedonians retreated first to Amphipolis and then to Thessalonike. From the Khalkide a new army was assembled by Philippos and his brothers and uncle. Meanwhile the Macedonian nobleman Sosthenes fought valiantly in defending Eordaia from an incursion by a small band of Celts. The Macedonian army, badly disorganized, spent the autumn in garrisons and fighting only the smaller Celtic groups. Brennos was free to ravage much of Eastern and Northern Macedonia with his bands, dealing considerable damage to the once undefeatable warrior country. Many Macedonians lamented and longed for the days of Philip and Alexandros or Antipatros and Kassandros.

In Taras, Antipatros the Paionian figured out that his time had come. He assembled even more men, even more ships and invited all kinds of adventurers and mercenaries to join him. Pyrrhos of Epirus loaned his ships for the transport, and Philip IV had considerable supplies and a great amount of silver delivered to him. He also officially announced that he recognized his cousin as the true ruler of Paionians, greatly irritating Audoleon, who was still hiding in the small fortified settlement of Bylazora with only a handful of tribesmen. The army of Antipatros assembled in Apollonia and soon had impressive numbers. From Peleponnese a few mercenaries arrived, but the most important man to arrive was Attalos of Tieion, the brother of Philetairos and Eumenes. He brought with him the few remaining men of his command, the rest had dispersed. But nevertheless, Antipatros had a formidable band of Tarentines, Italians, Illyrians, Greeks and Macedonians, ready to join the war against Celts in 279.

After wintering in Bisaltia, Almopia and Paionia, Brennos decided to push on against the Macedonians. The warbands assembled and he marched upon Thessalonike. However, by now Pyrrhos and Antipatros could enter the battle for Macedonia. At the battle of Thessalonike the joint armies of Epirus, Macedon and the Paionian pretender smashed the hosts of Brennos, capturing thousands. Comontorius had not joined the assault, and instead ravaged the surroundings of Amphipolis before returning to Thrace. Brennos himself escaped with a number of warriors, retreating back towards Pannonia with great loot and many captives. The Celts surely had taken great losses in 280 and especially in 279, but they still had a vast manpower left, and the prizes of war made them greedy. The northern frontier could still remain a problem for years to come.

The Celts were focused on Macedon, and the Odrysai King Kotys saw a chance to save his throne. He reached out to Amytans of Bithynia, and gained a considerable force of support from his army in Thraike. Together the Bithynians and Thracians marched to confront Bolgios. A battle was fought near Kabyle, ending in a victory for the new alliance. Bolgios retreated back towards the new Celtic settlements along the Hebros. Seuthopolis was recovered as a frontier garrison by Kotys, and authority over a number of tribes was restored. However, western Thrace seemed lost, as over both years more and more Celts arrived to the area. Bolgios and Comontorius also established ties with the Thracian tribes living in the region, in addition to building a fortified settlement, Tylis, as their capital in the region. Now Amyntas would also have to ask for some gift as a return for his timely assistance.

Antipatros pursued the fleeing Brennos to Paionia, liberating the land from the invaders. Astibos the old Paionian capital was taken by him, and there he assembled the Paionian tribes, who supported his kingship against that of Audoleon. Then Antipatros marched on Bylazora where Audoleon had been forced to retreat by Brennos. A meeting of the tribe was held, voting on who should rule them. They almost unanimously backed Antipatros who had liberated them from the Celts. And thus Antipatros had reclaimed his rightful throne. The fate of Audoleon and that of the vast host of Greeks and Macedonians now residing in the barbarian kingdom had still to be resolved.

While Pyrrhos and Philippos were busy luring out the remaining Celtic bands around Philippi and in Macedonia, Lagos finally decided to do his move. The Ptolemaic garrisons were assembled into an army that marched into Boeotia, which by the treaty of peace was to be neutral. The Boeotians tried to resist and raised an army, but were defeated by Lagos, who marched on to Lokris. Heavy resistance from Lokris and Phokis, aided by Thessalians, forced him to give up advancing further that autumn. Instead he established himself in Boeotia, besieging the cities and installing garrisons.

[+2,000 Li, +0,500 L CAV, +0,500 MI to Bardylis, -20k D., +2,500 trade, +5 hegemony]
[-2,000 LI, -1,000 phalamx, -0,500 L CAV to Pyrrhos. +2,5 hegemony]
[-2,000 Li, -1,000 MI, -2,000 phalanx, -500 V Phalanx, -500 VLI, -500 L CAV, -500 H CAV to Philippos, -2,5 hegemony]
[Damage to Macedonian (And Odrysai, Paionian, Taulantian etc.) incomes and population]
[-1,000 Mercs to Amyntas, -500 H CAV]
[Antipatros wins over the wrecked Paionia]
[Lagos invades and takes large parts of Boeotia, -1,000 LI, -0,500 MI]

It appears your brother is making progress in Paeonia, Tryphaena. As a matter of fact, if the report I just read is to be trusted, Audoleon has just been deposed by his erstwhile subjects and Antipatros is now the king of the Paeonians. This means you have a place you can call home again - it might be somewhat decrepit though, I don't trust the Celts took good care of your homeland. If you desire to leave Sinope, I will provide you a sizeable escort to Astibos. You will also carry a small gift for your brother Antipatros on my behalf. If Nikanor wishes so, he may accompany you as well. I appreciate his service, but maybe he wants to fight for his kinsmen. Either when you meet Antipatros tell him he has my sympathy.

Paeonia. What a forgettable name. The place was barely worth caring about, but he was magnanimous. Or so he tried to be. Even as he was talking to the woman, his attention remained focus on the situation in Greece proper. Lagos was a threat to the stability of the region and might need to be dealt with.

Last edited:
Death of Ptolemaios Soter
20WgTIY.jpg

The tale of Ptolemaios Lagides, Satrap of Egypt and the true power behind the Macedonian Kingdom, in exile came to an end in the late autumn of 280. An unknown sickness took him to bed swiftly, and within a week the great general and statesman was dead. His son, Ptolemaios Neoteros took over the reign, and only a few months after the death of Ptolemaios the Elder, King Alexandros IV succumbed to the illness that had allegedly plagued him for years. However, not all of the Macedonians were satisfied. But, in order to appease them and to cast away all the nasty rumors in the court, Ptolemaios Neoteros had Alexandros’s son declared the King of Macedonia and Pharaoh of Egypt. He too was Philippos the fourth. A number of the officials and officers who continued to murmur about the rise of Ptolemaios the Younger were either sent to far away garrisons, demoted or discharged. The problems still remained to some extent, though. While Alexandros might have had some power later in his life, that wasn’t the case with Philippos. He was under even stricter control than his father. Ptolemaios Neoteros was undoubtedly the ruler of Egypt, especially according to the Egyptians themselves. The question was the loyalty of those who surrounded him at the court and in the army. Luckily maybe the most important officer in Egypt, Navarch Epaenetus, was a strong friend and ally of the young Ptolemaios. But he was also very old, almost as old as the new ruler’s late father.

With Ptolemaios Soter and Alexandros dying off in a short period of time, a few of the outlying subjects saw it as a sign of weakness. As the fate of Salamis had not been officially sealed, their king attempted to rally for a revolt against the Ptolemaic garrison of his town. It failed and cost king Aegeus his life. The remaining royal family was deported to Egypt, and Salamis placed under direct Ptolemaic military rule. In Libya, a number of tribes revolted against the garrisons in Kyrene, and there was a movement for further independence in the Pentapolis. To the west, a number of the desert dwelling tribes stopped paying tribute, citing it had been directed to Ptolemaios the older only. On the Peleponnese, some of the Greek allies and tributaries protested in strongest words against Lagos’s increasing independence and power and due to the apparent Ptolemaic talks with Sparta. The gerousia of Sparta and the co-king Archidamus put an end to Areus’s intentions of intermarriage with the Ptolemaics, citing the age old Spartan traditions. Even the relations between the brothers Lagos and Ptolemaios were somewhat uncertain. Ptolemaios Neoteros ended up in a surprisingly tough situation right at the beginning of his rule. Luckily he had acquired at least some experience as his father’s deputy in Syria and Upper Egypt.

[Ptolemaios Soter and Alexandros IV die]
[-7,5 hegemony to Ptolemaic Realm due to some continuing upheaval in the court and outlying regions]
[-2,5 hegemony to King Areus]

Last edited:
He was late. It didn't really matter, Archelaos could use the time to think. Was this really a good idea after all? It could be dangerous, his intelligence Athens remained somewhat fragmentary and he could have underestimated the clout the man enjoyed in the city. Losing Alcaeus wasn't something he wanted. But there was no other candidate. And he should be able to complete this mission effortlessly, if things didn't go terribly wrong. There were always risks involved, moreso in a warzone with bloodthirsty savages nearby. Alcaus would be okay, Archelaos was trying to convince these words were meaningful.

He heard steps and considering his guards' lack of response, it had to be him. Or an assassin that had bribed them. He needed to focus and cast away this thought. He poured two glasses of wine. He even mixed it with water himself. He enjoyed drinking with friends but he refused to die the way Miltiades did. It hadn't been pretty.

Alcaeus, please enter.
My king, I have come as you requested.
Drop the formalities, please. We aren't at court here. When have we grown so distant for you to call me your king in private?
Well, I prefer to show I respect you, Archelaos.
That's nice of you, my friend. Still, I can remember a time when you didn't call me prince either. How come we aged so fast? I still remember our youth in Pella and Athens, it seems like yesterday.
We were taught to rule, and you're putting these skills to good use. These were happy years, nostalgia can be dangerous in such uncertain times.

What a marvellous opportunity to say what he had to say. He paused, emptied his glass and continued.

Indeed. But I'll show you we can combine both efficiency and nostalgia. I would like you to go to Athens, meet our friends, see how they feel about Lagos and his pesky war. My reports from Hellas aren't as trustworthy as I would want them to be. I trust you and your judgment. Stay there until further notice but leave if you are in danger.
Of course, my king.

1st Half of the 125th Olympiad
(280 - 279 BCE)

KQdiUcn.jpg

Megacles of Epirus was instructed to strengthen his position in Thrace. However, unlike the others close to him, he could enjoy peace as the Celts never penetrated to the Khersonesos. The officer as able to somewhat strengthen Pyrrhos’s rule over the region, but detachment from rest of Epirus still had its effects on revenues and administration. Nevertheless, Khersonesos seemed like a worthwhile investment. Damages to Lysimakheia and other cities that had suffered from the sieges were repaired quickly under Megacles’s supervision.
[-15k D, cities and walls rebuilt, +2,500 trade income]

The Macedonians had been busy fighting off the Celtic invasion, but yet in Kassandreia and Antipatreia a couple of new trade vessels could be commissioned. These were mostly tasked with securing the grain supply for the kingdom at war, but also moved over some products to Asia Minor and the coasts of Pontus Euxine.
[-10k D, trade ships owned by the Kingdom, +2,500 trade]

As the Romans drew in closer to Elea, Archagatus sent new orders to the armies in Magna Graecia. They were supposed to fight off the Romans with irregular warfare, utilizing the terrain and weaknesses of the Romans. This plan had severe flaws. The Greeks were easy targets for the Italic auxiliaries in the rugged terrain, the Roman light infantry could easily out maneuver the hoplites and cavalry was rendered useless. A few of the raids, albeit daring, lead to horrible losses with little success. Thus, the Roman legions were easily able to rout the depleted Greeks in an open battle, and put Elea under siege. The polis fell by mid-279, and Roman legions continued to march south, occupying most of Lucanian coast, while able to turn the region to a Roman ally as Syracuse didn’t even attempt to reach out to the tribe. The Legions marched on and took Pyxos and Laos by fall of 279. Romans sent out envoys to Syracuse, offering peace if Syracuse abolished control and protection over all Greek cities north of Laos, including those on the Tarentine Gulf. Taras, after the disappearance of Antipatros and a large contingent of their mercenary army, officially announced neutrality.
[Romans advance further south; take Elea, Pyxos and Laos]
[-1250 LI, -500 VLI, -750 MI, -500 L CAV to Syracuse]

On the sea, the Romans withdrew closer to the coasts, fighting off the Mamertine pirates and the Syracusan raids. Rome took decisive losses in the raids, and they caused considerable strain to the coasts of Latium. However, a raid up the Tiber via Ostia ended in a disaster, as Greek ships were overcome by a multitude of Roman light vessels, archers and blocks in the river itself.
[-5 tetretes, -5 triremes]

Amyntas raised a number of new phalanx regiments, and also raised a proper garrison for the Thrakian League, something that was agreed in the treaty setting up the league as a Bithynian protectorate. In addition, work begun in Byzantion, in order to construct a new wall around the city. The new wall was supposed to protect the ports, making the city thus far harder to successfully besiege.
[+2,000 Hi, -22,500 D.]
[+2,000 LI, +1,000 MI, +1,000 phalanx (garrison for the League), -15k D.]
[-10k D., walls of Byzantion completed next turn]

Ariarathes toured Anatolia, Armenia and the Bosporan Kingdom and Taurica, officially in order to bolster trade ties. His long stay in Armenia, and the fact that the Armenian prince travelled with him certainly raised some doubts about his true intentions. Nevertheless, important people were met and new trade ties created. Most of the new Pontic trade surprisingly enough being directed to Herakleia Pontika.
[+2,500 trade this turn, +2,500 trade next turn]

Andriskos, one of the most important philoi and the elephantarchos of Basileus Archealos, established a new military colony in Phrygia. Named, quite controversially, Andriskion, it was situated in a region with a considerable amount of marble quarries. Increased work on these, as well as the establishment of a true Hellenistic colony in rather undeveloped part of Anatolia proved to be very beneficial to Archelaos, albeit a few members of the court and associates of Eumenes were a bit wary about the name Andriskos chose for the place.
[Andriskion established, 2/6, +2,500 taxes, +5,000 mining next turn, +2,500 mining the turn after that, -40k D.]

Silver mines of Asia are once again expanded by Demetrios, though not to as large extent as in previous years. The mint in Xanthos starts producing new coins for the Kingdom, depicting both Antigonos and Demetrios, as Zeus and Poseidon. Demetrios also arranged marriages for his sons; Antigonos wed the daughter of an important royal officer, while Kyrillos married a daughter of a notable from Xanthos. Demetrios also managed to get a few former Cypriote commanders to join his navy. The Antigonid navy was drilled along the coasts of Asia Minor, becoming an increasingly effective force.
[-25k D. +5,000 mining, +2,5 hegemony]

Much of the Cypriote naval academy, a number of light ships and new tactics are brought to Alexandria for Ptolemaic use. Some old officers and ship-builders begin work under Epaenetus, to create a similar institute for the Ptolemaic fleet. Epaenetus, however, greatly favors the heavier ships over the light Cypriote vessels, as in his opinion the Ptolemaic control and strategy should focus on keeping the sea-lanes and main bases under control, with the use of heavy and sturdy vessels. Thus a new flagship is ordered by him. The elder Epaenetus commissions the oktere Isis and two supporting hepteres, the Seiren and Kytheria. The small vessels taken from Cyprus are put to use patrolling coasts and protecting shipping from pirates.
[-25k D. +3 large polyremes, naval school in Alexandria established, +2,5 k trade]

The Hellenistic colony of Ptolemais Hermiou is established in the Thebaid, in a bid to bring Upper Egypt better under Ptolemaic control. Until now the region had relied on Egyptian administration via temples, and a few scattered military colonies, but now a real Hellene settlement rose in the region. Vast temples, of Zeus-Ammon, Serapis, Isis-Aphrodite, Dionysos-Osiris and other gods and goddesses were constructed, in addition to theaters and other public buildings. Greeks constituted the majority of the population of the new settlement, but a number of natives were allowed in to promote trade and ties with the outlying region.
[Ptolemais Hermiou 2/6, +5,000 royal income, +5,000 taxes once completed, +2,500 taxes now, +2,500 royal income now, -45k D.]

Seleukos officially announced his son Antiochos as his successor and now co-Basileus. Achaeus departed for Persis, where he was to govern the former satrapy of Peukestas, who had died only a few years ago. For most of 280, it was Antiochos ruling the vast Seleukid realm, but in early 279 the health of Seleukos vastly improved. Sickness faded away and he felt considerably stronger and could return to taking care of state affairs. Antiochos had large public buildings, theaters and temples of Greek and syncretic deities constructed in the cities from Cilicia to Babylonia. These large programs certainly showed that the Seleukids were very wealthy and interested in the wellbeing of their realm’s citizens. And to the Macedonian and Greek officers it showed that the Seleukids intended to retain a decisively Greek culture and nature for at least the administration of their state, even if it was governed from Syria or Babylonia.
[+2,5 hegemony, -60k D, +5,000 taxation]

The new Median Basileus Karanos established a number of odeons, in Ektabana, Rhegae and Aspardana, wishing to enjoy proper Greek culture even in Media. Mostly Greeks but also some upper class Medes attend these shows, and Greek culture of Media becomes more established, at least amongst the Macedonians and other Greeks that make up the true elite. In one of the musical shows, Karanos throws around new coins. These new silver coins had been struck in his name and with his face and that of Persian goddess Anaitis/Anahita, showing that he now rules Greater Media as his father’s successor.
[-15k D. +2,5 hegemony]

Harpalus invested in expanding the trade and caravan ties between Margiana and Bactria proper. Waystations, royal garrisons and other accommodations were established to protect the vital roads and trails from bandits and Scythians. The travel time between the regions was considerably reduced, and the entire trip became much safer to make, for the first time since the fall of the Achaemenid Empire.
[-35k D., +2,500 trade, +2,500 taxes]

GM NOTE: Stats, map etc. tomorrow (DONE!).

War Orders due Friday 30th at 23:59 GMT. Normal Orders due Monday 2nd at 23:59 GMT.

Last edited:
b130ec67c49a99579e42b89f8dc8bb1c.png

Κάρανος
Karanos stared at Eudamos the Younger.

"You had another kid? And you named it after Uncle Stasanor?"

Eudamos nodded wide eyed, wondering why the hostility. Karanos shivered.

"Congratulations, you and young Stasnor can become Strategos of the South, you will be needed down in Aspardana."

Eudamos' smile went wide and eyes went wider. Running off with his baby son, Karanos rubbed his temples.

"Zeus save me, no wonder dad hated children. Always so loud."

Proclamation at Pergamon

To Lagos, son of Ptolemaios and Strategos of Hellas;​

The continued wars between your father and Macedon have raged long enough and it is time for peace to last. Your recent transgression of the peace treaty with Pella hasn't gone unnoticed and it is with much concern that we see the Boeotians' neutrality trampled on. We demand you withdraw your men from the region and respect the treaty you recently swore to uphold. Failure to comply will be met by dire consequences. We don't mean to reduce your family's power or to expell you from Greece, but the peace treaty must be respected.

[X] Archelaos of Anatolia
[X] Philippos of Macedon
[X] Seleukos of Arche Seleukia
[X] Demetrios of Mikhra Asia
[] Amyntas of Bithynia
[X] Pyrrhos of Epiros

Last edited:
Proclamation at Pergamon

To Lagos, son of Ptolemaios and Strategos of Hellas;​

The continued wars between your father and Macedon have raged long enough and it is time for peace to last. Your recent transgression of the peace treaty with Pella hasn't gone unnoticed and it is with much concern that we see the Boeotians' neutrality trampled on. We demand you withdraw your men from the region and respect the treaty you recently swore to uphold. Failure to comply will be met by dire consequences. We don't mean to reduce your family's power or to expell you from Greece, but the peace treaty must be respected.

[x] Philippos IV of Macedon

[x] Pyrrhos of Epiros