Cities: Skylines, Steam & Windows 10

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Keltia_Vikinga

Colonel
14 Badges
Mar 6, 2015
cimfrance.blogspot.com
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
Hi !

Windows 10 will be released in a few days... So, I wonder, will our favourite game Cities: Skylines be alright with it or will we have to wait for an update of the game?

And what about Steam ?

Thank you. :)

I thought they said that Windows 10 wasn't a 'priority', so I don't expect they will update the game soon to make it compatible with Windows 10...

Steam probably will get updated quite quickly (the Win10 version is probably already done).

Maybe it will just work on Windows10. Would be great because many people get it for free and I think most of windows8 users (who get it for free) will change soon.
(maybe most of the windows7 users too but not so fast i guess)

Exactly, I am one of these win 8.1 user who will have the opportunity to upgrade on win10 for free... I think we are many users...

I thought they said that Windows 10 wasn't a 'priority', so I don't expect they will update the game soon to make it compatible with Windows 10...

Steam probably will get updated quite quickly (the Win10 version is probably already done).

It's not a priority? I expect that in the coming weeks Windows 10 is going to slingshot out of the gate just based on the fact that it's free. I can't wait to ditch the abortion of an OS, Windows 8. I only went from 7 to 8 because of an obscure problem with UEFI hard drives.

Exactly, I am one of these win 8.1 user who will have the opportunity to upgrade on win10 for free... I think we are many users...

Yes, most Windows-based gamers I would suspect are in the same boat. Really only XP doesn't qualify for the free upgrade, and if you're a gamer still running XP then... buy a new PC, you fossil!

Reactions:
I'm running Windows 10 technical preview and it works just fine. I'd actually upgraded trying to fix a problem that turned out to be related to my BIOS, not the OS, but ever since I fixed that, it works like a dream, no problems.

Reactions:
It's not a priority? I expect that in the coming weeks Windows 10 is going to slingshot out of the gate just based on the fact that it's free. I can't wait to ditch the abortion of an OS, Windows 8. I only went from 7 to 8 because of an obscure problem with UEFI hard drives.

Yes, most Windows-based gamers I would suspect are in the same boat. Really only XP doesn't qualify for the free upgrade, and if you're a gamer still running XP then... buy a new PC, you fossil!
Well yeah but as I understand it, if you have an XP machine and you signup for the tech trial, then you get automatically updated for free too to Windows 10.

I was under the impression that what runs on Windows 8 and 8.1 will also run fine on Windows 10. For me it's not usually been a problem of the programs running on the new O.S. but rather getting drivers to work properly and once they do some of the problem programs that I need to use for work fall into line again without needing updates or very minimal updates.

I'm going to let my desktop update to Windows 10 when they tell me I can, but I'm going to keep my laptop at 7 until I feel comfortable with 10 on my desktop and know that most of the stuff I run on my desktop is also running on my laptop just in case there does turn out to be a big problem.

My partner just got updated to the full version of Windows 10. I'm not sure how that happened but he had vista and I told him about the tech trial so he signed up and up until yesterday or the day before it was the tech trial, then he got notification that he's been "upgraded" (instead of the usual "update" notifications) and now the tech trial info usually in the lower right of the screen is gone. I was under the impression that even the tech trial people wouldn't be upgraded until the 29th but there ya go. Oh and he's only got one program (some audio visual studio that he used to use for work as a sound and light director) that refuses to run, but I believe it has something to do with drivers and it told him so when he tried to reinstall and run it. Other than that everything he was running on Windows Vista is still running fine on 10 for him.

Don't worry guys, like Rodrico Stak wrote, I am having the Technical Preview as well and Cities:Skylines is working like a charm. However this is and will also depend on your hardware.

Reactions:
Many folks on the Steam forum are also already running the test version of 10. I asked the question there a few weeks back, and everybody who replied said it either runs fine, or will run fine.

Reactions:
Although windows 10 looks tempting I don't think I will be upgrading.. Cities Skylines may well be compatible but I have a lot of older games that may not work with the new operating system and probably not be supported......I still enjoy playing those older games.... so I am going to stick with Windows 7 until i'm forced to upgrade through necessity.

Thank you all for your answers! I hope win 10 better than win 8.1...

However, I think this is free only for win 7 sp1 & win8.1 users....

Although windows 10 looks tempting I don't think I will be upgrading.. Cities Skylines may well be compatible but I have a lot of older games that may not work with the new operating system and probably not be supported......I still enjoy playing those older games.... so I am going to stick with Windows 7 until i'm forced to upgrade through necessity.

Why are you making the assumption that your older games won't work? If they work in Win7-8 then I wouldn't anticipate major problems. In the past many of the major reasons games stopped working included the change over to the NT kernel, UAC, and migration to 64-bit to address the 4 Gb memory limit. To my knowledge, a major architecture change like that didn't happen in Win 10. This should be viewed as upgrading from Vista to 7--an important change but not as didruptive.

Reactions:
Why are you making the assumption that your older games won't work? If they work in Win7-8 then I wouldn't anticipate major problems. In the past many of the major reasons games stopped working included the change over to the NT kernel, UAC, and migration to 64-bit to address the 4 Gb memory limit. To my knowledge, a major architecture change like that didn't happen in Win 10. This should be viewed as upgrading from Vista to 7--an important change but not as didruptive.

But it's safer to wait and see what other users report rather than jumping in with both feet.

With Windows, in general, if your happy with your current OS and the latest release adds nothing that your interested in then there is zero reason to early adopt.

Reactions:
But it's safer to wait and see what other users report rather than jumping in with both feet.

With Windows, in general, if your happy with your current OS and the latest release adds nothing that your interested in then there is zero reason to early adopt.

Unless you have Windows 8, IMO... I'm not sure why anyone would voluntarily stay on with Windows 8.

Whatever floats your boat though.

Reactions:
There is definitly a different between windows 7 and 8 users. For me windows7 is the best windows and as a windows 7 user i would maybe wait half a year. But yeah with windows 8, for me 8.1 which is a liiiittle bit better i am just happy if i can switch, because i learned to handle windows 8, but i still hate it ;)

Reactions:
Everything that works on 7 and 8.1 works on 10, simply as that. 10 is the most stable and efficient Windows ever, even since the first preview builds. On the mighty 7 I used to have way more BSODs than now on the preview builds.

I've been running the final release of Windows 10 now for almost a week, and everything seems to run very stable. I've not had any problems with Skylines (or any other game I have on Steam) on any of the Technical Previews either.

Reactions: