• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

42dustman

Private
33 Badges
Dec 29, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
EDIT: Updated for Crusader Kings 2 version 2.8

This is a mod intended to expand the represented areas of the game map in order to include the realms of the central Sahel region of Africa, prominently constituted by the territory of the Kanem-Bornu Empire. I did significant research into the region's history and geography in order to recreate the political, religious and cultural boundaries of the regional powers in the most historically accurate manner possible. The mod covers the full spectrum of the region's history from the 769AD start all the way to 1337AD.

Features:
  • Historically accurate depiction of the landmass connecting Mali in the west to Nubia in the east.
  • Historical changes in the region are faithfully represented through the full range of game starts from 769AD to 1337AD.
  • The Trans-Saharan Gold Route. A historical trade route that covers Africa from Mali to Cairo (a new feature added in the latest update).
Compatibility:

This mod is 100% compatible with all mods that do not alter the game map.

Screenshots:

Realms at 769AD:
RLcHMb6.png
Realms at 1110AD:
QSCXWSm.png
Cultures at 769AD:
BXEkYeM.png
Cultures at 1110AD:
sZv3GXC.png
Religions at 769AD:
4OkNpOY.png
Religions at 1110AD:
osy27ct.png
De Jure Duchies:
WMWNihT.png
De Jure Kingdoms:
HgDo50F.png
De Jure Empires:
8eAb6Nl.png

Attachments

• CentralAfrica.rar
    736,4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
This looks amazing! Thank you for making this! I'm definitely going to use it in all of my games.
Did you add in the West African trans-Saharan gold trade route? If not, can you?
750px-Niger_saharan_medieval_trade_routes.PNG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Saharan_trade#Trans-Saharan_trade_in_the_Middle_Ages
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/gold/hd_gold.htm
http://archive.archaeology.org/0011/abstracts/timbuktu.html

I did consider adding it, but was reluctant because the vanilla game only uses the trade route mechanics for the Silk Route and ignores other less widely known trade routes as well. I'll give some study later and see if I should add it to a later update of the mod.

I did consider adding it, but was reluctant because the vanilla game only uses the trade route mechanics for the Silk Route and ignores other less widely known trade routes as well. I'll give some study later and see if I should add it to a later update of the mod.
I understand. The Silk Road was a big deal ... but so were the Baltic Amber Road (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber_Road) and the African Gold Road (the Trans-Saharan route I mentioned above). The thing is, I know that the Amber Road was actively traveled during the Roman Empire but can't find a source on medieval activity. While the Amber Road might be worth including if and only if it was active at the time, I know that the Gold Road was a big deal int he medieval Islamic world. Its inclusion is definitely warranted.

looks good!

Do you consider also adding more diversity to cultures in that region?

Perhaps you might find some inspiration in my mod Ibn Battuta's legacy which does exactly the same plus it adds also few provinces to that terribly neglected West Africa and removes the pain from looking at the terribly shaped provinces in all across Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia

Great work !

FWIW I made and posted my own mod that adds ancient cultures (accessible via Scholarship or Theology focuses), as part of this mod I created a Touareg culture. I placed my Touaregs too far west just to put them in the game but I will be separating them from the main mod this week so if you want please feel free to pm me and add them in.

looks good!

Do you consider also adding more diversity to cultures in that region?

Perhaps you might find some inspiration in my mod Ibn Battuta's legacy which does exactly the same plus it adds also few provinces to that terribly neglected West Africa and removes the pain from looking at the terribly shaped provinces in all across Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia
Seconding this, also to the op take a look at my dev diaires on africa too i think it might be helpful as well

Would love to help! I can make characters or do anything tedious/takes a long time but is easy. Let me know!

You set every province along that trade route as able to hold a trade post. That seems imbalanced to me, when there are way fewer possible trade posts on the Silk Road.

You set every province along that trade route as able to hold a trade post. That seems imbalanced to me, when there are way fewer possible trade posts on the Silk Road.

It uses similar mechanics as the pre-2.8 silk road when it comes to trade post upgrades, though. There is a minimum distance allowed between trade post buildings.