• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Panzerfaust779

Second Lieutenant
72 Badges
Nov 24, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Rome Gold
Authors Note: This post is just setup history, to explain the current alternate history as well as establish the political characters of Gran Colombia

The Independence of New Granada: 1808-1821

Born on 28 March, 1792, Francisco Maria was the youngest (surviving) child of King Charles IV of Spain [1]. Naturally adventurous, Francisco rejected many of the aspects of Royal life ( a fact that did not go over well with many in the court) . He would commonly leave the palace in disguise, consorting with the common people of Madrid.

Due to the Napoleonic Invasion of Spain during The Peninsular War, the then 16-year-old Francisco would flee to the Viceroyalty of New Granada in South America to avoid capture by French forces. After his arrival in New Granada, Viceroy Antonio José Amar y Borbón would be deposed, and the position of President of the new Junta would be offered to Francisco. A known sympathizer of the Criollo and
Mestizo people, Francisco would be able to placate a majority of the opposition to his rule. As talks of total independence grew throughout the Viceroyalty, He would toy with the idea of being King of New Granada, however he believed that the liberal faction wouldn't support anything less than a Republic. His close friend Romano Loredo would suggest he create a Constitutional Monarchy ( rather than an absolute monarchy, as suggested by some reactionaries ), So as to gain the support of the Reactionaries and the regional elites, as well as satisfy the groups calling for a republican system.

On July 20, 1810, The Kingdom of New Granada would be founded, which controlled the lands of New Granada itself, as well as the Captaincy General of Venezuela. The next 9 years would be filled with fighting between the government of New Granada and the Spaniards, who were repeatedly attempting to restore order to the rebellious colonies.

KhOvXyA.png

King Francisco I of New Granada in 1817

====================================================================================

By 1821, Almost all of Spanish America was in rebellion. New Granada itself was starting to turn the tide of war against the Spanish; New Granada and Venezuela were fully under New Granadian control, and several Armies under the command of General Simón Bolívar were preparing to liberate Ecuador from Spanish Control.

UMjs2di.jpg

The Kingdom of New Granada on September 1st, 1821. The Division between Venezuela and New Granada is shown as a black line.

While the government of Panama stayed loyal to the Spanish Crown, the people had no such intention. Panamanian patriots had risen up in Yaviza and Panama City. In part due to Gran Colombian aid, it was expected that Panama would be independent in the next few months.
m9zVOyf.jpg

With only the territory near David unoccupied, A Panamanian victory is considered Inevitable.

A 2 year draft would be instituted until Hostilities ended, however some within the government were concerned about the Economic effects of it; Despite this, New Granada would mobilize it's reserves
Md8835t.jpg

Now that there was the distinct possibility that several Non-Viceroyalty areas could be offered annexation if they were to win independence (Spanish Haiti being the best example), King Francisco would create "Gran Colombia", a federation composed of New Granada and Venezuela, with membership being open to any nearby Former Spanish Colony.
I5jIUJQ.jpg

====================================================================================

State of the Federation, September 1st, 1821:

Zhvm7y0.jpg

Gran Colombia was to recognize equal rights for all (male) citizens, an ironic point considering slavery is still legal.

TzrLWtb.jpg

The Population is majority Catholic, And ethnically almost 3/4ths of Gran Colombians are North Andean. A sizable Afro-Caribeno population exists, though it is very under-represented compared to the North Andeans.

sGeLyny.jpg

While limited rights were available to the Middle and Lower classes, a growing Liberal faction ensured more change was to come in Gran Colombia.

npMoYxR.png

Despite monetary concerns, 9 ships would be built or refitted, to allow Gran Colombia to attempt to fight the Spanish fleets smothering the Caribbean.

The borders of the Federation in 1821:
RhJVYK2.jpg

The Flag of Gran Colombia:
cTXdoZF.png

---
Authors Note(s)
---

Welcome to The New AAR! We now have an even harder nation to keep together than the USCA, however being a Monarchy should help keep things stable. I tried to keep King Francisco's backstory historically plausible, rather than just have him appear out of the blue and become king of Colombia :D. This was more of a prologue chapter, since I wanted to keep the Independence war in a separate post (or two). While the promised Iberians and Infighting have appeared, the Imperialism will have to wait a little while ;)

As for mods, this AAR will use Concert of Europe until 1836 (to allow for independence wars and such), at which point i will 'convert' my progress into Divide By Zero and continue from there. In addition to those, i'll use bits and pieces from other mods when the time comes.

[1] Francisco is a version/replacement for Infante Felipe Maria, a child of King Charles who died during childhood.

I approve that flag ! :p

Anyway that will be an interesting playthrough although I hope you modded it a bit since the breakup of the Federation is nearly unavoidable.

I approve that flag ! :p

Anyway that will be an interesting playthrough although I hope you modded it a bit since the breakup of the Federation is nearly unavoidable.
True, I mean The Federation can be saved, but it requires GP status. Hopefully i can achieve that w/o modding, but if not i have a plan in mind for the Constitutional Crisis

True, I mean The Federation can be saved, but it requires GP status. Hopefully i can achieve that w/o modding, but if not i have a plan in mind for the Constitutional Crisis

Well the different maluses made it unwinnable for me :p
You could add Cuba, Puerto Rico and Hispaniola to the Federation that some puny aristocrats in Venezuala would refuse your democracy. Quite a shame really.

Reactions:
Subbed!

I tried this run before, but could never accomplish it! Good luck to you.

subbed

The Independence Wars: 1821-1826; Part 1

By September of 1821, Gran Colombia was finally ready to strike back at The Spanish. The Congress of Cúcuta had just concluded in New Granada's favor, as Venezuela had agreed to willingly be a part of the new nation Gran Colombia. Simón Bolívar had been given command of El Primero del Ejército de la Gran Colombia (The 1st Army of Gran Colombia). On September 17th the Army would meet the Spanish Army in Ecuador, beginning the Battle of Quito.

vp1Wppk.jpg

After a week of brutal fighting, The Gran Colombian troops would shatter the Spanish Army, ending the Spanish threat to southern New Granada.

Fqv1NRd.jpg

After waiting several days to restock on weapons and new recruits, Bolívar's Army would be sent south, to help the Peruvians and Bolivians take down the last Spanish Army in South America. In New Granada, word of Bolívar's successes spread, and he was quickly becoming a Hero to the people of the Republic.

SjpEG8L.jpg

While Bolívar's famous Three Hundred Eighty Days March into Peru was in progress, Gran Colombia was undergoing many internal social developments.

ctfV9sU.jpg

Its unknown to historians why Gran Colombia's birthrate suddenly increased in 1821, but the government welcomed the news.

oUTYQXX.jpg

Jingoist politicians won the majority of the vote, with some radicals even campaigning for Military expeditions into the Caribbean.

On February 12th, 1822, The Ejército de liberación de Panamá would capture the last Royalist stronghold in Panama, officially proclaiming their Independence. Talks immediately began between gran Colombia and Panama, as the latter were interested in joining the confederation.

k0IZIB7.jpg

King Francisco I, hoping to convince Panama to join Gran Colombia rather than the nearby Federal Republic of Central America, would offer some concessions to the liberal-minded government of Panama, such as wealth voting for the Federation. Despite Panamanian concerns of Conservative dominance, they would remain indecisive.

yV9Qntx.jpg

The Centralista majority did not help quell the worries of the Panamanian government.

Finally on April 20nd, 1822, The Panamanians would officially apply to join the Federation, on the condition that Panama be it's own department within the Nation. Despite Panamanian concerns of Centralista dominance in Gran Colombia, the annexation of the USCA by Mexico would give Panama few options, as well as the continued threat of Spanish Invasion. The government of Gran Colombia would more than happily accept, and on April 22nd, 1822, Panama was offcially annexed as Departmento del Istmo, however it was much more commonly referred to as "The Department of Panama".

nzlyb23.jpg

87JC4x6.jpg

Departmento del Istmo

By July 17th, the first ship in the Gran Colombian Navy, the GCS Amenazante, would enter active service.

MZkLhW6.jpg

After 380 days of Marching, Simón Bolívar's Army would engage Spanish Forces in Ayacucho on September 8th, Beginning the Battle of Ayachuco.

FOWLsLk.jpg

3WSlfK8.png

Gran Colombian troops engaged in vicious fighting with the Royalists

5 Days later the fighting would end, and with it ended any hopes of Spanish reconquest of Peru or Bolivia.
vQjv5T5.jpg

Not a Peruvian within 10 miles of the battlefied

Following the end of construction of the new Gran Colombian Navy, Lieutenant Julio Crespo would be assigned command of the Navy, though he'd have to wait several months for the 4 Gran Colombian Frigates to finish construction before he could hope to take on the Spanish Fleets in the Caribbean.

m1X8Ldx.jpg

Following the Victory over a Spanish Fleet by the Peruvian navy, Peru would sign a peace treaty with Spain. Much to the dismay and annoyance of the gran Colombians, Peru would gain ownership of Pastaza in the peace treaty.

XsoJvsC.jpg

Following the completion of the last few Frigates, Admiral Crespo would order the breakout of the GCN into the Caribbean, taking advantage of a hole in Spanish Defenses. This would kick-start the Battle of the Lesser Antilles.

neodjCq.jpg

oupP7zJ.jpg

Following the Decisive Gran Colombian victory, Admiral Crespo would return to Barranquilla a Hero. Skipping the celebrations for now, he would rush to have a private meeting with King Francisco I, who was eagerly awaiting in Barranquilla for results from the battle. Crespo's proposal to Francisco, El Plan de Liberación, would be considered an insane proposal by many members of the Government. Francisco, however, believed that it was exactly what Gran Colombia needed to survive.

---
Authors Note(s)
---

Quite the cliffhanger i left ya'll on, isn't it? :D the Cliffhanger isn't only for dramatic effect though, since i was worried of exceeding the picture limit. Now that you've seen Part 1 of the independence war (1821-1823), you'll soon get a Part 2 (1824-1826) dealing with the further conflict in the war, as well as the eventual peace.

Last edited:
YES! May the flower of monarchy in the new world flourish! Don't give up Panama!
Normally Panama is easy to get (As shown above :)); I've never seen Spain fight the Panamanian nationalists, and my Armies made it even more unlikely that they could get them. My only concern was that panama would join the USCA instead, since the AI has a 25% chance of joining the Federal Republic rather than Gran Colombia.

That event with nations joining the federation seems familiar. Wonder how many times that will fire as compared to with the USCA. :D

Damn Peru taking Gran Colombian land. They will regret that decision, I hope. ;)

That event with nations joining the federation seems familiar. Wonder how many times that will fire as compared to with the USCA. :D

Damn Peru taking Gran Colombian land. They will regret that decision, I hope. ;)

Indeed they will :D. And yep, that event will fire quite a few times ;)

Peru's "Situation" is in chapter 3, after the Spanish are kicked out

Reactions:
I'm going to guess you'll be liberating Spain's Caribbean islands, as a result of their weak navy?

The Independence Wars: 1821-1826; Part 2

Admiral Julio Crespo's El Plan de Liberación, was created by the admiral following his decisive victory in the Battle of The Lesser Antilles. Calling for the Liberation of the Spanish holdouts of Cuba and Puerto Rico, it could lead to the complete eviction of Spain from the Americas. King Francisco would cautiously accept his condition, on one condition: No attempts would be made to liberate Cuba unless a successful campaign was accomplished in Puerto Rico. On September 16th King Francisco would announce the plan for liberating Puerto Rico ( purposely not mentioning Cuba ) to congress, prompting much debate.

ynU6D0L.jpg

The die has been cast

Gran Colombian troops would make landfall on October 9th, 1823, followed by a quick victory over the Spanish troops garrisoned there by October 12th. Puerto Rico would quickly be put under Gran Colombian control, with an Independent Puerto Rican government being set up.

3DFieQL.jpg

By July, the war had really started to go Gran Colombia's way; Puerto Rico was fully liberated, Gran Colombian troops had made landfall in Southern Cuba, and the Spanish navy had yet to be sighted. On the 7th of July, Spanish Haiti, having won it's war of Independence with Spain (Thanks to help form Gran Colombia's navy) would apply to join Gran Colombia.

qBDwfLo.jpg

This was much to the displeasure of the Dominican People; Some wanted to unite with nearby Haiti, a fact well known by Haiti which was angered by losing the chance to unify Hispaniola. Other were concerned about the legality of Slavery in Gran Colombia ( It was legal, however all departments had banned slavery on their own. ). To help Placate the fears of the Spanish Haitians, King Francisco, along with congress, would grant citizenship to any people of formerly Spanish colonies which joined Gran Colombia. This, combined with the banning of slavery within the new Department, would be enough to placate the people of Spanish Haiti.

0WbiJCX.jpg

Caribenos would be granted full citizenship in Gran Colombia.

Spanish Haiti would officially become a part of Gran Colombia on July 11th, 1824, as the Departamento de República Dominicana. Spanish Haiti joining Gran Colombia would be a turning point, and many congressmen would start to support Admiral Crespo's and King Francisco's efforts to liberate the Caribbean.

GeKwOdO.jpg

El Departamento de República Dominicana.

the Increased congressional support would allow King Francisco to gain the support of Congress when he announced the goal of Liberating Cuba, in addition to Puerto Rico.

uMQs4kJ.jpg

Gran Colombian troops, having occupied almost half of Cuba by September, would finally engage in combat with the Spanish Army on September 4th. Aided by members of the local resistance, It would be one of the most one-sided major battler of the War.

TpEhW1h.jpg

G2W8hnv.png

Gran Colombian troops charge Spanish Lines in The Battle Of Jagua.

Gran Colombian troops would secure complete control of Cuba on the day before Christmas, 1824

hE67dNb.jpg

xFj58UA.jpg

The United Kingdom, hoping to gain strong ties with Gran Colombia, would send an ambassador in August of 1825.

Spain wasn't willing to throw in the towel just yet; Almost a year after control of Cuba was lost to Gran Colombia, Spain would land 6,000 Troops in Jagua in an effort to recapture the island. The Spanish Army was quickly crushed by the 1st Army in The 2nd battle of Jagua.

zGdk5CR.jpg

FfJqahC.png

The Spanish Fleet that brought them faired no better.

War Weary and facing rebellion at home, Spain would be forced to concede defeat to Gran Colombia on March 28th, 1826.

EiWNU9h.jpg

Cuba would be the 1st of the newly-independent republics to join Gran Colombia. It would become El Departamento de Cuba

kY84hRe.jpg

Ecuador predictably joined 4 days later, and would be split into several departments, similarly to New Granada and Venezuela.

qi0SctR.jpg

Oh0Psll.jpg

The Sudden additions of Cuba and Ecuador would allow for the Expansion of the gran Colombian Military, a fact that did no go unnoticed by the European Powers.

After much debate within the Puerto Rican government, Puerto Rico would officially join Gran Colombia as
El Departamento de Puerto Rico on July 3rd, 1826.

cfDAAdD.png

---
Authors Note(s)
---

Now that we've humiliated Spain and rocketed up to 10th place :D, we'll finish off the Pre-1836 portion of the AAR in Chapter 4: Peruvian Problems ;).

What are your long-term plans for Gran Columbia? Perhaps uniting all of South America under your rule?

What are your long-term plans for Gran Columbia? Perhaps uniting all of South America under your rule?
I'm undecided yet; While conquest is fun and all, i like to expand using decisions or events that grant cores, rather than just trying to conquer Everything. I'm tempted to try to unify all of Spanish South America by modding in a bunch of decisions and events (and you know, fulfill Bolivar's dream), however I'll wait and see what the common opinion is. For now, I'm just going to do all of Gran Colombia's decisions in Concert of Europe in order to expand.

Reactions:
I'm undecided yet; While conquest is fun and all, i like to expand using decisions or events that grant cores, rather than just trying to conquer Everything. I'm tempted to try to unify all of Spanish South America by modding in a bunch of decisions and events (and you know, fulfill Bolivar's dream), however I'll wait and see what the common opinion is. For now, I'm just going to do all of Gran Colombia's decisions in Concert of Europe in order to expand.

I wonder how you'll model the Confederation Crisis.
After that an expansionist Gram Colombia should look South for the Andes. It would depend of Peru's behavior of course but perhaps wars of conquest instead of cores to begin.
After that you have the whole vice-royalty of La Plata with the Cisplatinan problem which could cause further problems with Brazil...
And then Mexico and further problems with the US :p