• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well now that was bluntly handled, but well enough I feel. Well enough.

I do truly wonder though how much longer he can keep his relationship with Alearde secret from Beatriz.

Reactions:
that was a very clever way to keep a snake at bay... let'shope the sister has learned something out of this

Reactions:
Okay I was not expecting THAT. A shy little sister assisting in a diabolical plot against dear Foulques? That just screams GRRM right there! It seems you just can't trust anyone anymore, not even your own siblings! Hopefully Aureade learns her mistakes, or she's going to be the brunt of her older brother's wrath, and it might be a terrbile one to behold!

Reactions:
Foulques seems to learn how to handle his wrath. Now I would like to know what he would have done had he captured Geoffrey :D.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well now that was bluntly handled, but well enough I feel. Well enough.

I do truly wonder though how much longer he can keep his relationship with Alearde secret from Beatriz.

I admittedly wondered if it was too blunt. But I don't know how else he could have handled it and allowed her to live without the proper threat behind it. She needs to believe he will act if she plots again.

As for the affair, I wondered that too. I'll say while she is adept at stewardship, Beatritz is not a character who plots well, even if she tries (and she does try). As I've kind of alluded to, she's come to rely on Alearde for a great deal, including intrigue, which, in this case doesn't work well for her.

that was a very clever way to keep a snake at bay... let'shope the sister has learned something out of this

Don't want to spoil, but I do think Aureade did get the message.;)

Okay I was not expecting THAT. A shy little sister assisting in a diabolical plot against dear Foulques? That just screams GRRM right there! It seems you just can't trust anyone anymore, not even your own siblings! Hopefully Aureade learns her mistakes, or she's going to be the brunt of her older brother's wrath, and it might be a terrbile one to behold!

Yes, imagine my surprise when I got the notification someone was out for young Geoffrey and... it wasn't Robert (or the little mentioned Simon) or even Foulques brother, but his half-sister! But this actually was the first time I've ever done something like this in game - inviting the husband of a female plotter to court, having the family come and shut down the plot that way. It worked well for the story as well!

Foulques seems to learn how to handle his wrath. Now I would like to know what he would have done had he captured Geoffrey :D.

I actually wondered that myself! When I started I did not know what would happen if I caught Geoffrey - whether I should let him live for extra family members, or just toss him in prison. I think I would have let him free, since I've tried to take some points from the history and I believe the first time in real life, Foulques did release his brother.

Next update is coming. Full disclosure - this upcoming chapter's main event comes off a choice I was presented well before I had written much of the story. Had I known the direction I was going to take, and how I'd write certain characters, I probably wouldn't have made the choice I did. But the choice was made, and it has ramifications for the future. No use in avoiding it! Just going to have to include it. Hope it works well enough!

And of course, thanks for all the comments! Always enjoy reading them.

Reactions:
Chapter 29 - November 1076
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 29
November 1076 - Anjou, France

Foulques leaned on the armrest on his ducal chair. He struggled to keep his eyes open.

It was another day of holding court. Dull, monotonous as those within the duchy came to voice their concerns, needs and problems to him. He would sit, barely listen, and then respond with whatever his advisor suggested on the matter.

All the while he daydreamed of being in battle once more. The war against the Bretons had stirred again his passion for combat, and he longed to be atop his steed, leading charges of knights and engaging in personal combat once more.

“I think it a worthwhile endeavor.”

Foulques snapped back to reality at the sound of the voice. Bishop Telent was offering advice… to an issue the duke had not listened to at all.

“How much?” Foulques asked.

“The church should be able to handle most of the cost,” Telent said.

“Then do as you wish,” Foulques said.

Telent gave a wry smile and told the man he would have support.

There was something Foulques did not like about the man - perhaps that he was a Breton, from the duke’s newly conquered territory. Appointing him Court Chaplain was not his first choice, but when Bishop Ebbon turned heretic, others in the council had brought Telent to his attention.

1076_Heretic_bishop.jpg

1076_Bishop_Telent.jpg

Foulques’ would have preferred to simply return Ebbon to his role after renouncing the Lollard heresy, but Telent was smart, well-read and an olive branch toward the people of Nantes, showing their value to the duchy as equals, not as servants. Or at least that is what Mayor Guilhem and Duchess Beatritz had suggested.

“No more,” Foulques said as he rose from the chair. His patience was just about up. “We will reconvene next week. Urgent matters can be relayed to the steward, who will inform me if he deems it sufficiently of import.”

With that, Foulques exited the main hall and began to walk toward his favorite place, the ramparts overlooking the Maine.

In truth, he was a bit lonely. Beatritz was not in Anjou currently, having gone to visit her brother in Bordeaux. Duke Guilhem, despite the rumored Great Pox that afflicted him, and the age of Duchess Matheode, had managed to sire a son, Alberic, born in June.

Such things put on hold any plans to seize Aquitaine and Poitou when Guilhem passed on, a disappointment to Beatritz, but she still felt it necessary to visit her brother, given the aid he had leant them.

Foulques foolishly had jokingly asked if she went to Bordeaux to “deal” with her nephew, but that had instead just enraged the duchess before her journey. The duke felt the sting - he had arguably undone much of the good he had managed in the past few months.

Through Alearde, he had learned Beatritz had long desired a white mare. He had purchased one for her, pleasing her greatly. Between that and allowing her input on Bishop Telent, they were again on good terms… until his joke. He just hoped the time away cooled her temper.

1076_Beatritz_present.jpg

Such things would not have been so bad had Alearde been present, but she had accompanied the duchess, along with Agnes, to Bordeaux. That left Foulques without his wife and his lover without a war to distract him.

He debated paying a visit to his son, who had remained behind. At the moment, young Geoffrey was being watched by commander Amaury, who kept an eye on him while he ran wild in the yard, hitting all the training dummies with a wooden stick. There was little method to the child’s madness, but Foulques hoped it would lead to Geoffrey becoming a fine warrior one day.

As Foulques emerged on the ramparts, he saw he would not alone. Lithuaise stood up there, overlooking the river in silence.

Beatritz had left her behind, which was little surprise. She was a lady of the duchess in name only - rarely ever being called upon to do much of anything. The duchess refused to trust her and ostracized her from most everything she did. At this point, Lithuaise found herself a glorified prisoner in Angers.

1076-_Lithuaise_stats.jpg

“Come to admire the view?” he asked.

Lithuaise was startled. “I’m sorry, my lord, I did not hear you arrive.”

“Do you sneak up here often?” he asked.

“I… on occasion,” she said as she blushed. “I have heard you speak well of it, so I wished to see for myself.”

“And?”

“And it is as you said, my lord,” she replied. “Simply stunning.”

The stood in silence for a few minutes, admiring the approaching sunset on the horizon.

“Tell me, Lithuaise,” Foulques began, “How do you fare these days?”

“I am fine,” she said.

“I do not believe you,” he said.

Her eyes drifted downward. “I survive. I am lonely. I have few to talk to. The other ladies of the duchess are fearful of seeming to close to me, as they think it will draw her ire. Some of the men of the keep have…”

Her voice trailed off. Foulques looked at her. “Have what?”

“It is inappropriate for me to discuss, my lord,” she said.

“I think it not,” Foulques said. “What have they done?”

“They have done nothing,” she said. “They merely ask for me to join them in the chambers. But I cannot… not for them. I am a married woman. Even if I have not known my husband in years.”

That fact was not lost on Foulques. Even if he had never actually touched her before, he thought had crossed his mind.

He did suspect she desired him. She frequently stared at him only to avert her gaze when he returned in kind. On the rare occasions they spoke, she often blushed and had difficulty maintaining eye contact.

And here they were, alone, with both Beatritz and Alearde away. Even if he did not care for her as he did them, he still had needs.

“Yes, it must be difficult,” Foulques said. “You have needs which are not being met.”

“I manage,” Lithuaise said.

“You survive,” Foulques said. “As you said. But I do not think you are happy.”

“It is not the place of some to be happy,” Lithuaise said. “Hopefully, we are rewarded in the hereafter.”

“If you say,” Foulques said.

“Do you not believe in heaven, my lord?” she asked.

“I do,” Foulques said. “Though as you say, it is a hope. And a hope which is a long time off.”

Lithuaise looked down. “Sometimes I look over the edge and wonder if it is worth it. But that is a sin - one I would not be able to atone for.”

“I am sorry you are unhappy,” Foulques said. “It reflects poorly upon me as your lord.”

“No!” Lithuaise said. “You are kind to me. If not for you, who knows what the duchess would have done?”

“I have tried to convince her otherwise,” Foulques said. “But she cannot help but view you with suspicion.”

“I know,” Lithuaise said. “I only wish to do my duty. But she gives me little these days. Alearde is her favorite. Because she is her friend’s daughter. And she is lowborn. ‘She knows her place’ the duchess shouts at me when I displease her. Which is frequent.”

Foulques almost smirked at the thought of the irony of the statement. Though in some ways, Beatritz was right - Alearde did not dream of being more than what she was. It’s possible Lithuaise did.

“Do you ever wonder that you could have been the duchess had fate been different?” he asked her.

“I… no, my lord,” Lithuaise said.

“Again, I do not believe you.”

Lithuaise sighed. “I… I do, my lord. Not because I am ungrateful. But because I… am unhappy. I… look at her and I ask, what has she done that I did not do to earn her place? I did not choose Geoffrey, no more than she did you.”

“You are envious of her,” Foulques said.

Lithuaise shut her eyes and through gritted teeth said: “Yes.”

“How would like a part of what the duchess has?” Foulques asked.

“What… what do you mean?” Lithuaise asked.

“That I join you in your chambers this evening,” he said.

Lithuaise took a step back. “My lord… that is… I am your sister in law.”

“My brother wishes me dead,” Foulques said. “And conspires to make it so. I find that a greater sin.”

“Then… this is revenge?” Lithuaise asked.

“No, I simply do not care what he thinks,” Foulques said. “As has been the case for years.”

“And what of the duchess?” Lithuaise asked. “She hates me.”

“She already believes you to be my lover,” Foulques said. “Despite my denials. She cannot hate you more.”

Lithuaise shut her eyes. “It is not right.”

Why do I waste my time, he wondered. She is hardly Alearde. She is not even Beatritz.

Then he remembered - neither was present at the moment and likely would not be for a few weeks.

Regardless, he would not force himself on her. If Lithuaise wished to continue her solitary existence, she was free to do so. But he guessed she did not.

“If you say, my lady,” Foulques said. “I will leave you here, alone then and never broach the subject again.”

“NO!” Lithuaise exclaimed.

The forcefulness of her response actually caught the duke off guard. It may have caught Lithuaise off guard as well - as she was now turning beet red.

“I apologize my lord,” she said. “It was unbecoming of me. I just…”

Foulques just offered his hand to her. Lithuaise took it.

1076_Lithuaise_affair.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Lithuaise has been something of a shadow.

Mmm, this could get complicated.

Reactions:
Just as you think Foulques might start to act less impulsive... Well, after all this talk, it had to happen one day.

I always have a weak spot for heresies, so it is a shame he didn't follow Ebbon - though I see that it would be hard to fit such a conversion into a this narrative.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Foulques is Foulques and the Duke gets what the Duke wants...

Reactions:
Thinking with the wrong head, Foulques...

The appointment of a Breton to the council so soon after the conquest of Nantes is an intriguing move, though some might say he's moving a bit overly hasty giving power to someone who so recently may have been an enemy -- and unknown quantities tend to be unpredictable in court intrigues.

Reactions:
Lithuaise has been something of a shadow.

Mmm, this could get complicated.

You do not know how right you are. Complicated does not begin to describe how this eventually shakes out. (Heck it hasn't even fully shook out yet, and I've played 20 years beyond this point) The game deciding to do something odd... didn't help either.

Just as you think Foulques might start to act less impulsive... Well, after all this talk, it had to happen one day.

I always have a weak spot for heresies, so it is a shame he didn't follow Ebbon - though I see that it would be hard to fit such a conversion into a this narrative.

Like all of us, Foulques is prone to an impulse buy sometimes. ;)

That would have been interesting, but yes, Foulques isn't the character who seems to pay religion much mind unless he feels he will pay if he doesn't - like when his sister and mother died within a few months of each other. I don't think he would be convinced to go heretic because I don't think he cares enough about it to rock the boat.

Foulques is Foulques and the Duke gets what the Duke wants...

That is a mantra he's going to subscribe to quite a bit in the future. It will work out well sometimes, but not always.;)

Thinking with the wrong head, Foulques...

The appointment of a Breton to the council so soon after the conquest of Nantes is an intriguing move, though some might say he's moving a bit overly hasty giving power to someone who so recently may have been an enemy -- and unknown quantities tend to be unpredictable in court intrigues.

The wrong head is right. Slight spoilers: that's something he won't do better on in the future.

I agree with your reasoning on Telent. But Foulques has never been one to invest as much time in running his duchy as he spent winning it. As noted in this scene, he doesn't care enough to fight for the position of Court Chaplain, instead seeing it as something he can use to make up with his wife. Whether that attitude bites him in the future, we'll see.

The next chapter is long. But I think it's important as it sets the scene for a lot for which is to come in the realm over the next decade. Hope you all enjoy it.

Thanks for all the comments, feedback and discussion!

Reactions:
Chapter 30 - February 1077
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 30
February 1077 - Melun, France

It felt like deja vu all over again.

A feast in Melun. A wedding for the king of the Franks. The gathering of all the important men in the realm.

1077_Philippe_Feast.jpg

Actually, Foulques realized, that was a bit different than last time.

This time, all the dukes were present, including the Count Bourges, who had been recently raised to the Duke of Berry.

An annoyance, that, Foulques thought as he stared at the duke with his new wife, the youthful Duchess Aude, who he had married after Hildegarde had died birthing his son. Berry now claimed Tours as part of the duchy, and while he did not have the means to seize it from Foulques, it was a loose end he did not wish to see dangling.

Meanwhile, Foulques drank alone. Beatritz had already left him to mingle with some of the other duchesses, though she preferred to spend most of her time around her sister in law Matheode. Perhaps because they were close in age - Beatritz was the oldest duchess present and Matheode the second oldest, separated by seven years. Beside them there was Duchess Adelaide of Champagne, who was 32, Duchess Aude, who was 24 and the 16-year-old Duchess Aelis, the Duke of Toulouse’s third wife.

Alearde outshines them all, he thought. Though it was fair to wonder if some of the dukes had pretty lovers as well. Foulques shook his head.

A foolish thought. Of course they do.

Oddly enough, Foulques noticed wherever Duke Guilhem went, his wife was never far away. At times, she seemed to practically be joined at the hip with him.

Perhaps he is sicker than he lets on.

A tap on the shoulder brought Foulques out of his thoughts. Beside him was Duke Hugues of Burgundy and another young man, who could not have been much older than 16.

“Duke Foulques,” Hugues said, “Allow me to introduce me Philip of Blois, the son of the Duke Champagne.”

Foulques nodded and shook the teen’s hand.

“It… it is an honor,” Philip said. “Your reputation is well-known.”

“Philip here is set to inherit Blois when his father passes,” Hugues said. “He wished to meet you.”

“My brother will receive the duchy however,” Philip said.

The pudgy-faced teen lowered his head. Foulques shrugged before giving him a pat on the arm.

“I was once held but a single county myself,” Foulques said. “And now I have taken territory from the King of the Bretons. Fate can change quickly.”

Philip smiled. “Your words are kind my lord. I would hope to be as successful as you.”

“Philip,” Hugues said. “I plan on having a few words with Duke Foulques. If you will excuse us.”

Philip nodded and wandered off. Foulques watched him for a bit, noticing the teen stopped near Countess Adelaide, his mother.

“Interesting boy,” Hugues said. “I have high hopes for him. But I thought you may wish to know him, since he will soon be your neighbor in Blois.”

“Soon?” Foulques asked.

“Look at his father,” Hugues said, pointing toward the elder Thibault. The duke appeared gaunt, his grey hair thinned and his complexion somewhat sickly. “He cannot have long left on this Earth.”

“If you say,” Foulques said. He looked over at another man standing by Thibault. “Is that his eldest?”

Hugues sighed. “Yes, Etienne.”

“You do not like him?”

“Like him? He is my step father,” Hugues said. “He married my mother after my father’s murder. He is an ill-tempered, gluttonous, greedy boor. No, I do not care much for him."

Hugues paused.

"But I would not do anything to upset my mother, so perish such thoughts. I merely wish Philip were in line to inherit.”

“What is so special about him?” Foulques asked. "Philip?"

“He… has potential,” Hugues said. “I have spoken to his mother. She thinks the world of him. Etienne is an impulsive soldier. Philip has vision. I feel we would work well together.”

Foulques looked at Duchess Adelaide. She did not appear old enough to be Etienne’s mother. But Philip…

“She says such things because she wishes her child to inherit,” Foulques said.

“And if she does?” Hugues asked. “It is natural for a mother to wish for such things.”

Foulques smirked. “You defend her as if you desire her.”

While he did not mean it as more than a quip, Hugues’ reddening cheeks told Foulques plenty.

“I see,” Foulques said.

“As I said, Thibault will die soon,” Hugues said. “The duchess… requires a younger man for certain things. And Duke Foulques, I thought you would understand the value of an older, wiser woman.”

If she brings an alliance, Foulques thought, though he did have to admit, Beatritz had given him all he could have hoped for and more as a wife.

“Look at them,” Hugues said. “Old men. All around us. Thibault, Boudewijn. Guilhem. They hold the reigns in the king’s court, while we, the future, sit at bay.”

“The king has spoken of his desire to see myself, yourself and the Duke of Toulouse by his side in the future,” Foulques said.

“Yes, the king says many things,” Hugues said. “But I find his words as platitudes. He does not actually act upon them. I thought perhaps I would receive my father’s place when he died. But I remain left out, despite sharing blood with the king.”

You are a whole 20 years old, Foulques wished to say. But he thought better of it. Hugues could think himself entitled. It mattered little to Foulques’ ambitions.

“I am surprised you are not frustrated,” Hugues said. “You are clearly more capable than Guilhem.”

“The king and I… have an understanding,” Foulques said.

Hugues raised an eyebrow. “Is that so?”

“I remain his loyal subject,” Foulques said. “He understands that.”

“The king grows confident,” Hugues said. “And more ambitious. I would not assume anything.”

You seek to turn me against him for your own gains, Foulques thought. Hugues must have thought himself a puppet master when he was anything but. Perhaps that is why the king does not place you on the council.

“I will keep that in mind,” Foulques said.

“Good,” Hugues said. “Remember, we not share blood, but we are family, Duke Foulques. After all, your brothers and sisters are my aunts and uncles. And speaking of which… excellent job on reigning in my overly ambitious aunt.”

Foulques narrowed his gaze. “Did you know something of that?”

“No, not until after you had dealt with the matter,” Hugues said. “I learned from the Count of Charolais, who heard it whispered in his court. He is here as my guest in fact, so if you would like to speak with...

Hugues stopped as his eyes found the count. He was standing next to the Duke of Toulouse, and in a very heated conversation.

“Excuse me,” Hugues said.

As the Duke of Burgundy moved toward the two men, Foulques, curious, followed.

“You mind your words, boy,” Charolais said.

“I mind them to some,” Toulouse said. “To you? Why should I? You come as the pet of the Duke of Burgundy after doing the bidding of Duke Foulques. You are a lap dog, chasing a master who will make you the man I already am - and at half your age.”

“Gentlemen!” Hugues interrupted. “We are at a feast for the king. We must behave ourselves.”

“Forgive me, my lord,” Charolais said.

“Yes, that’s right, beg before your master,” Toulouse said.

The old count glared at the duke, and his hand drifted toward the sword at his side.

But that was all it did.

“Is everything all right?” a man asked. The four men nodded. “Good. Duke Foulques, the king requests your presence.”

Foulques nodded. As he bid the men goodbye, Toulouse pulled him close.

“We must talk your daughter. I believe she would be a fine match for one of my sons.”

Foulques did not wish to think of that at the current time - his reservations about the boorish, impulsive nature of Toulouse had not changed. This incident with Foulques ally in the Count of Charolais did not help matters either.

As he ascended the steps to join King Philippe at his dining table, he noticed that while the king’s brother, Hugues, was present, his sister Emma was not.
Married off to the King of the Danes, Foulques remembered. Poor girl.

Philippe motioned for his brother to leave them as Foulques arrived. After a quick embrace, the two men sat down.

"It has been too long," Philippe said. "And yet... not long enough."

"I am sorry for your loss," Foulques said.

The King of the Franks gulped down his wine. One of the servants refilled his goblet before stepping away.

“What do you think of her?” Philippe asked, pointing to the queen.

1077_Queen_Sybille.jpg

“Pretty,” Foulques said. “But I confess to knowing little else of her.”

That was not entirely true. He heard this Sybille was also lowborn - the daughter of a local knight whom the king had bedded. That he also was marrying her made the suspicion that she was with child spread like wildfire, but Foulques did not know if that last rumor was true. After all, Aliyah had never been pregnant.

“She is a just woman,” Philippe said. “With a good head on her shoulders. She also… has a voracious appetite, if you understand me.”

The king sipped his goblet as Foulques raised an eyebrow.

“I did not take much offense to your last wife,” Foulques said. “So I can find little wrong with this one.”

“Yes, she is of the faith, as if that is the only thing which matters,” Philippe said. “She was kind to them all, and they hated her regardless. Part of me thinks she was poisoned, and if I did not trust my physician so, I would have a mind to start putting some of the more outspoken lords on trial.”

Foulques did not know what to say to that. Instead he sipped his drink.

“On the talk of wives,” Philippe said. “How is yours?”

“Pleased to be at this feast,” Foulques said. “She is well otherwise.”

“Good for that,” Philippe said. “She is one of the more experienced duchesses in the realm these days. Perhaps the queen should speak with her. Sybille may a learn or thing or two from speaking with her.”

“I think she would be most flattered by that,” Foulques said.

Philippe smiled and motioned for one of the men near him to come forth. He whispered into the man’s ear, who then hurried off to get the attention of the queen and direct her to Beatritz.

“I did not realize you meant so soon,” Foulques said.

“The sooner the better,” Philippe said. “Sybille is a good woman, but I fear she has much to learn of how a woman of her stature must act. My mother draws some suspicion given she follows the Patriarch of Constantinople. I would say your wife and her sister in law would make excellent teachers, but Duchess Matheode has much on her mind these days.”

“Is that a reference to Duke Guilhem?” Foulques asked. “Is he ill?”

“He is, but it is not his physical body which fails him,” Philippe said. “I have concerns over his mind. That is why the duchess stays by him. To make certain he does not say something he should not.”

Foulques scratched his beard. “He is senile?”

“No,” Philippe said. “But prone to bouts of… I would call it madness. It is troublesome and comes at a difficult time for the realm.”

Could he be ready to make me marshal, Foulques wondered. He practically slurped his wine.

“My armies are being prepared,” Philippe said. “I plan to make war on England by the end of the month. I will reclaim Normandy for the realm.”

“To make the Normans your vassals once more?” Foulques asked.

“No,” Philippe said. “Robert had his chance. When he did not inherit the crown, his loyalty should have been to myself. Instead, he bowed to Morcar. I take the territory for the crown.”

Foulques had one thought. “Maine?”

“As I said,” Philippe said. “I plan to take Normandy for the crown.”

Foulques did not like that. If Normandy fell to the king, it would be near impossible for him to take back. Though, to this point, he did not know he would ever be able to muster an army strong enough to reclaim it from the English, even if the Normans rebelled.

“I believe we will have the advantage,” Philippe said. “But I need good commanders to lead my armies. So, I ask you once more, if you will accept the role.”

Finally, battle, he thought. But that impulse was quickly replaced by disappointment - he promised he would lead the king’s armies when he was made marshal, or at least put on the council. Philippe had seemed to agree. Yet here they were.

“Am I to be on your council, my liege?” Foulques asked.

“I have explained why you cannot, at this time,” Philippe said.

“Then, I must keep my word,” Foulques said. “I will remain your loyal servant, but I will not lead your armies.”

Philippe did not look at Foulques. “I tire of this game, Duke Foulques. Your professions of loyalty are welcome, but they do not advance the cause of the realm. I have obliged you for over a decade. It is time for you to provide the service pledged under your oaths of homage.”

Foulques returned the favor by not looking at the king. “I provide you with men, as promised.”

“I require more,” Philippe said.

“As do I,” Foulques said. “I feel as though my loyalty is being taken for granted.”

“A threat?”

“No threat,” Foulques said. “I ask you my king, why do you not make me your marshal if you are concerned so greatly with the mind of Duke Guilhem?”

“Guilhem can still function,” Philippe said. “And he controls the largest army in the realm. If I were to remove him, with his hunger for war, he would certainly incite rebellion. I need not that while I battle a capable king in Morcar.”

“That is why I feel as I do,” Foulques said. “You look to me and do not question whether I will cause trouble. You assume I will not.”

“Or that you are not fully capable of causing the trouble Guilhem would,” Philippe said as he gulped his drink.

It almost felt like a challenge. “Do you wish to find out?”

They said nothing for a few moments, with the music and chatter of other conversations filling the air.

“You would be wise to mind your words and actions Duke Foulques,” Philippe said. “I have looked the other way on many of your adventures. Perhaps I will have to keep a closer eye on Anjou in the future.”

With his blood hot, Foulques wished he could tell the King of the Franks what he really thought. That he may turn toward Hugues of Burgundy if necessary. Or aim for an alliance with the Duke of Toulouse.

“And you will continue to see your loyal vassal,” Foulques said. “But one who will defend himself if forced to.”

Philippe said nothing. Foulques realized there was nothing left to say. He pushed himself up and moved to back toward the others. After a few steps, he made a beeline for his wife. He excused her from the conversation with the queen and pulled her away.

“What is this?” Beatritz demanded as they walked alone in a hallway. “My conversation with the queen was growing splendid.”

“Mine with the king did not,” Foulques said. “We should leave quickly.”

“What happened?”

“He would not make me his marshal,” Foulques said. “Despite his lack of trust in your brother. Instead he merely wishes me to serve as his commander, as if I were the same man as ten years past.”

Beatritz frowned. “I understand your frustration husband, but perhaps it would have been wise to take his offer. My brother will not live forever.”

“We had an agreement,” Foulques said. “He ignored it. I stand by it.”

“He is the king,” Beatritz said.

“A king who fears his vassals,” Foulques said. “He treats me so because he does not fear me enough.”

“You… plan to oppose him? Join factions against him?” she asked.

“I do not know,” Foulques said. “I think he blusters and will not act. But if he forces my hand…”

“Please be careful, husband,” Beatritz said. “I do not have faith in my brother to keep us safe should the king turn on us.”

“I do not need his help to protect our family,” Foulques said. "I will not lose our gains."

And he meant it. Philippe’s hold on the realm was more tenuous than it appeared. A war would only further unsettle it. If the king pushed too far, Foulques would be in position to push back.

And he suspected he would not be alone.

1077_War_With_England.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
things are going more interesting every chapter... a few more and it would be a French Game of Thrones

Reactions:
Well now, things are moving apace and not necessarily in a positive way. Oh to be sure there are lots of opportunities, but dangers aplenty.

Reactions:
things are going more interesting every chapter... a few more and it would be a French Game of Thrones

Wait till you see Chapter 32, which will be a very large state of the realm update.

Well now, things are moving apace and not necessarily in a positive way. Oh to be sure there are lots of opportunities, but dangers aplenty.

Yes. As you'll see in the next few updates, dominoes are falling, providing opportunity and risk. And that's not just for Foulques, but for every player in the realm.

Next update will be a shorter one. It's required, but it's admittedly not my favorite. Still, it will be up shortly. Hope it is enjoyable enough.

However the following chapter (32) I'm looking forward to. It is at the place where I first realized the value of creating permanent save point, so I had the ability to go back and really examine the state of the realm. That chapter will feature plenty of screenshots, lots of information and a good sense of the stakes for everyone involved. Since Chapter 31 is a shorter update, I will aim to get that update up tomorrow, most likely.

Thanks for any and all comments!

Reactions:
Chapter 31 - November 1077
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 31
November 1077 - Anjou, France

“You still live, husband.”

Foulques rolled his eyes at Beatritz as he watched her, smug smile and all, sip on her cup of wine.

“Barely.”

It was the best comeback he could muster.

In truth, her tongue had sharpened quite a bit over the past few years. Beatritz’s comfort level had grown immensely since the birth of young Geoffrey, and her confidence with it. While the duchess was careful not to challenge Foulques in public, she often did in private.

However, that they were in Vendome was not such a challenge, but merely a very vocal suggestion.

Beatritz, concerned over a potential clash with King Philippe, had suggested Foulques attempt to put his leadership capabilities on the battlefield to good use in the homestead - instead of inspiring men to fight for land, inspire peasants to work harder for their lord.

Her hope was to help the duchy grow in prosperity to fill Foulques’ coffers with a war chest big enough to handle a conflict with the king. While she did not think alone they could win, the extra funds could be useful if they had allies in such a conflict.

Of course, touring the countryside was hardly the type of thing Foulques liked doing. It wasn’t battle. It wasn’t hunting. There was no challenge. Just speaking with lowborn leaders, hearing their grievances. It was dull - perhaps only slightly less so than holding court.

But after the spring and early summer, Foulques found he would likely have no choice.

Philippe’s success in Mallorca years before were quickly being proven to be no fluke. Within months he had smashed Morcar in Boulogne, while a smaller Frankish force had defeated the English in Rouen.

1077_Philippe_wins_over_Morcar.jpg

The saving grace for Morcar was the Channel. He he could reconstitute his levy, given time and money. Secure from most threats - the Scots did not appear threatening, he could bide his time, gather his forces, and then strike back at Philippe when the opportunity arose.

But the Frankish king did not appear content to let his opponent have time to rest. Instead, while he used the bulk of his forces to terrorize and lay siege in Normandy, he ferried small troops over to raid and harass the English on the isles.

As the summer drew on, it was becoming apparent Morcar was unable to muster the support needed to do anything but delay Philippe. Rumors spread there was dissatisfaction on the isles, and Duke Robert, despite Normandy being the cause of the war, refused to do anything but the bare minimum to meet his obligations to the king.

Foulques found that strange, since Philippe intended to strip Robert of Normandy in its entirety, but perhaps the Norman did not believe it to be so. While Philippe had told Foulques, and it was widely rumored, the King of the Franks had not openly stated he would remove Robert from power.

As it stood, the Frankish king was on a slow, but steady, path to victory. And once he controlled Normandy, he would be able to nearly stand with almost every duke in his realm.

Foulques had started to take other measures. He and Beatritz had accepted the invitation and attended the wedding of Duke Hugues of Burgundy and Adelaide, the former Duchess of Champagne, who wasted little time in marrying Hugues after her husband Thibault died in May.

There he had talked with Hugues once more about the state of the realm, and while Foulques committed to nothing, agreed with him that he was growing uncertain with the direction of the kingdom.

He had also had envoys begin a discussion for a marriage alliance with the Duke of Toulouse, despite his reservations. He had almost expected Beatritz to object, but the duchess did not, instead saying a match with one of Toulouse’s older sons would be a wise decision. Nothing was finalized yet, but the option would be there if the situation became perilous.

While those were his moves on the diplomatic front, he found himself without reason to resist Beatritz’s idea of touring the countryside in hopes of raising productivity of the peasants. Somehow, boredom did not satisfy as a reason when the threat of the king loomed.

But in truth, it had not been as bad as Foulques had expected. He was greeted with cheers from many as he moved through with Beatritz and a small retinue of knights and administrators. A few men greeted him as veterans of the wars, and thanked him for his excellent leadership. Foulques had even stopped and delivered a brief speech to all those gathered, thanking them for their hard work and promising that he would continue to work to bring prosperity to Anjou.

1077_Foulques_visits_Peasantry.jpg

Even the peasant leaders had been bearable. It helped that Beatritz, Mayor Guilhem and Bishop Telent did most of the listening, and that their advice was sound, but he had gotten through it with everyone appearing happy.

As the sun set, Foulques and the retinue returned to the keep in Vendome. Now he and the duchess were enjoying a private supper together, with some gifts from the peasant leaders, including the duchess’ favorite, boar meat.

“You were right wife,” Foulques said, finally. “This was a fine idea.”

“And I thank you for listening, husband,” Beatritz said. “It alone will not stop Philippe if he moves against us, but it will help the cause.”

Foulques nodded. Part of him still did not believe the king would do so. After all, Foulques was hardly the most rebellious of vassals. Toulouse, Hugues and Boudewijn were far worse.

You know it is not about loyalty, but opportunity, he reminded himself. Bouchard was loyal after all.

Yes, poor Count Bouchard. Former count. Still locked away in Foulques dungeons. A pityable boy, Foulques had long since realized he could never release him. And he had made peace with it.

On most nights.

Today that he eat where the former boy-count ruled was a stark reminder of ambition and the price some must pay when caught in the way of it.

I must not feel guilty, he thought. I must use this keep as a reminder to strengthen my resolve.

He said nothing to Beatritz - such thoughts were best kept to himself.

They ate mostly in silence, but they were soon interrupted by Mayor Guilhem, who entered the dining hall alongside another man Foulques did not recognize.

“My apologies on the disturbance my lord, lady,” the steward said. “But this man has news you may be interested in.”

The messenger bowed before them and then said: “The Emperor has attacked Philippe.”

Foulques and Beatritz traded glances. “What is the dispute?” Foulques asked.

“Zeeland,” the man said.

“A single county?” Beatritz asked.

“It would appear so,” the man said.

1077_HRE_declares_War.jpg

“Has the king responded?” Foulques asked.

“I am unaware,” the man said. “But the Emperor moves against him regardless of his response.”

“Interesting indeed,” Foulques said. “Guilhem, give the man something for his trouble. And shelter if he needs a place to stay for the evening.”

“As you wish, my lord,” the steward said.

He bowed, as did the messenger before both left the dining hall. Foulques stroked his beard as a grin formed on his lips.

“I take it from your reaction, this is a good thing?” Beatritz asked.

“Your nephew has changed the situation,” Foulques said. “I think it will be to our benefit.”

“I assure you,” Beatritz said. “I was unaware. Agnes mentioned nothing of it in her letters.”

“If you were aware,” Foulques said. “And were able to keep such a secret, I am not sure I would be angry or impressed.”

Beatritz smirked and sipped her wine.

1077_Heinrich_IV.jpg

“Philippe will find himself in a difficult position,” Foulques said. “The Emperor’s forces are strong. Philippe would have difficulty against them under normal circumstances. But he is already at war with Morcar.”

“Can Philippe win?” Beatritz asked.

“Perhaps if I had full control of his armies,” Foulques said. “I do not believe he will fare well however. He is attacked from two sides and outnumbered.”

“I am surprised he would let it get this far,” Beatritz said. “Philippe has shown himself well thus far.”

“When dealing with his vassals, yes,” Foulques said. “But a strong Emperor a different matter. If Heinrich demanded he surrender Zeeland, I am not certain there was anything Philippe could do. He could not give Boudewijn’s county without a fight or else how could he keep him as his vassal?”

“Then we should exploit Philippe’s weakness,” Beatritz said.

Foulques tapped his chin in thought. He wished for a stronger hand against Philippe, but he was not certain he wished him deposed. A new king would pose new problems. And he knew Philippe respected him, even with this disagreement.

A humbled Philippe was better than the alternative. But whether that was possible remained to be seen.

“We shall see wife,” Foulques said as he raised his cup to her. “We shall see.”

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
woooow... what a timing! poor Phillip though... I kind of like him

Reactions:
This ... situation ... smells like a grand opportunity and a lethal trap.

I will be most interested to see how Foulques navigates these increasingly turbulent waters. Phillippe humbled is one thing - but what if the King blames Foulques' obstinacy for his likely defeat? What what if the King somehow manages to win?

• 1Like
Reactions:
HRE at it again with its wars, hopefully this will be enough to humble Philippe and make him see that foolish thoughts of not securing his power base first could lead to disaster!
If I may ask, is there no chance for the English culture to ever fire? It'd be a shame too if the Anjou's destiny might eventually lie in fair Britannia.

• 1Like
Reactions:
woooow... what a timing! poor Phillip though... I kind of like him

I do have good news on that front - he may be in some trouble, but the King of the Franks is not going anywhere for the time being. He'l be very important to the events for a while.

This ... situation ... smells like a grand opportunity and a lethal trap.

I will be most interested to see how Foulques navigates these increasingly turbulent waters. Phillippe humbled is one thing - but what if the King blames Foulques' obstinacy for his likely defeat? What what if the King somehow manages to win?

The waters only grow more turbulent in the next update. As for your question - it is a good one.;) All I can say is, do not think Foulques has not considered this.

HRE at it again with its wars, hopefully this will be enough to humble Philippe and make him see that foolish thoughts of not securing his power base first could lead to disaster!
If I may ask, is there no chance for the English culture to ever fire? It'd be a shame too if the Anjou's destiny might eventually lie in fair Britannia.

Philippe was lucky and unlucky. I've had games where the HRE makes for Zeeland by 1068. I was honestly surprised how long it took, though I wonder if England had something to do with it, because they were at war with the HRE (likely the result of a marriage alliance) for a while. But he was unlucky that it finally fired while he was absolutely rolling up on the English in Normandy.

English culture requires the Normans to retain control of the crown, so they can spread their culture to the mainland, correct? If so, then the answer is almost certainly no. Now that the Normans have lost the crown, and the English are elective, I can't see one ever being elected. (If that isn't the trigger, then let me know and I'll see if there's a chance for it happening)

As promised, the large state-of-the-realm update will be up shortly. There are lots of screenshots, and all the realm's dukes you have not seen traits and stats on before will be present. I don't think this will be the norm for future chapters, but as mentioned before, this is where I made my first perma-save I won't touch after the fact, and kind of where I paused for a bit to write story, so I could really go back and look at how things had taken shape. Hope you all enjoy it.

Thanks as always for the comments and feedback!

Reactions: