Assimilation currently terrible

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why can't the AI Overmind decide that it wants it's cyborg entities to take advantage of their inherently cheaper fleshy parts to create a larger work force?
It would kinda go against the idea that meat bags are weaker, and even the general design of the Driven Assimilators. I don't think robots would consider that organix reproduction is better than building robots, especially since you'd need to cybernetize all newborns. It maybe also break balance, since it means you would basically be a Machine Empire with cybernetic organic pops without happiness.
And there's also that in science-fiction, the example I know of Driven Assimilators don't do that. They don't have any reason to let the assimilated continue their life, instead, they will take everything seems good for them and use that. They are assimilators, their goal isn't to breed other pops. They may use the assimilated species to breed themselves, but nothing more than that. We have to understand that there's actually a difference between what the player may think is the best strategy - aka more pops - and what the AI Overmind may actually think. And for him, organix reproduction is clearly inferior.

Assimilators are going to get some major buffs in 1.8.1.

Specifics of changes coming to Assimilators:
- Successfully assimilating a Pop as a Driven Assimilator now generates one month's worth of Unity and Society Research
- Driven Assimilators can now allow Cyborgs to procreate (they do not need food to grow)
- Assimilators can now research most Genetics techs
- Driven Assimilators can now derive Assault and Defense Armies from Cyborg Pops
- Pops are now assimilated much faster, on a per-planet basis rather than per-species basis

Overall, having growing cyborgs should let Assimilators expand very quickly in the early game, and getting tech/unity from assimilating means you still want to conquer other species.

Specifics of changes coming to Assimilators:

Overall, having growing cyborgs should let Assimilators expand very quickly in the early game, and getting tech/unity from assimilating means you still want to conquer other species.

Anything about Rogue Servitors, like changes to when you conquer planets? I really don't like having unique buildings like Autonomous Fabricators, Dark Matter Power Plants and such getting demolished (and thus permanently lost) just because I play Rogue Servitor.

Anything about Rogue Servitors, like changes to when you conquer planets? I really don't like having unique buildings like Autonomous Fabricators, Dark Matter Power Plants and such getting demolished (and thus permanently lost) just because I play Rogue Servitor.

I can't really see a good solution for this that doesn't completely go against the way the sanctuaries work. If it's changed it won't be in a hotfix, but I'll give it some thought for the future.

Doesn't having each assimilated pop generate a month's worth of stuff introduce another scaling problem? Like a small empire assimilates a pop, gets a small bonus. A large empire assimilates a pop and gets a much larger bonus (in raw resources). Granted, one pop will give both large and small empires the same percentage boost towards their next research/unity unlock, but the large empire is probably going to be assimilating a lot more pops.

I can't really see a good solution for this that doesn't completely go against the way the sanctuaries work. If it's changed it won't be in a hotfix, but I'll give it some thought for the future.

Hey Wiz, the exterminator synthetic empire seem a bit underpowered compared to their organic and hive mind equivalents. Do you have any thought?

Hey Wiz, the exterminator synthetic empire seem a bit underpowered compared to their organic and hive mind equivalents. Do you have any thought?

Exterminators, Purifiers and Devouring Swarms are all getting buffed in 1.8.1, Exterminators moreso than the other two.

Would setting the species to displacement before conquering them fix it? I thought you could displace as servitors.

Exterminators, Purifiers and Devouring Swarms are all getting buffed in 1.8.1, Exterminators moreso than the other two.

I know I'm repeating myself, but I hope you'll take a look into the Servitors. They're really fun to play once I got the hang of it, but it feels really punishing to conquer a FE/AE, only to see about half of their buildings disappear...

I know I'm repeating myself, but I hope you'll take a look into the Servitors. They're really fun to play once I got the hang of it, but it feels really punishing to conquer a FE/AE, only to see about half of their buildings disappear...
True. But as Wiz said, there is no easy fix for this.

Granted, one pop will give both large and small empires the same percentage boost towards their next research/unity unlock, but the large empire is probably going to be assimilating a lot more pops.

No. Both unity and science costs scale with planets and pops. It is already scaled this way!

So let's say both a large and a small empire need 50 months to research their next society tech. Both a large and a small empire will therefore need to assimilate 50 extra pops to effectively get a "free" tech. Conquering 50 pops is going to be a difficult task for a small empire, but a relatively easy task for a large empire.

So let's say both a large and a small empire need 50 months to research their next society tech. Both a large and a small empire will therefore need to assimilate 50 extra pops to effectively get a "free" tech. Conquering 50 pops is going to be a difficult task for a small empire, but a relatively easy task for a large empire.
I don't see any issue with that.
large empires can deal a lot better with crises than small empires

also currently all anomaly science bonuses are mostly fixed low value, so small Empires might get double research for a month or two while for a large empire that bonus won't even register