• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another Crusade for Jerusalem while a Jihad tries to divide the Byzantine Empire... At least things stay lively. I like how, after being denied the chance to be his family's heir, Cassio now rules the Republic. What will he accomplish in his reign? Can he succeed in the holy war, gaining more territory for Pisa?

Speaking of territory, could we get a screenshot of what Pisa looks like now?

I believe the Jihad for Anatolia is a savior for the Crusade, as the Fatimids have divided fronts, we will see how it will develop!

I am glad that the time has come for Cassio to lead the Republic, without the stain of the Dictatorship that Chiaffredo installed (terrible opinion malus everywhere!)

As of the request for territory, without further delay, the Interlude has arrived and I am on par with the game!!

While Chiaffredo hears Jesus, another family gains power...
Where do the Hrabisic come from and how did they end up Holy Roman Emperors?

Was it Jesus he heard? Was it someone pretending to be Jesus? We do not know and we may never find out (?) . The one thing is certain is Chiaffedo and Giordano, through their practicality, ensured the survival both of the Visconti and the Republic

And about the Hrabisic I shall explain in the Interlude :)

Note: I caved in and bought the Conclave Content Pack..then Conclave itself, so much for willpower :D This means, in the future I will activate Conclave and will let you know and we shall see how it will ruin Pisa up (or not?) ;)

Reactions:
Interlude I: Anno Domini 1175- The Tales and Travels of a True Christian Knight as presented by Sir Giordano Visconti
visco_interludeI_1.jpg

When my father Cassio Visconti was elected as the eleventh Serene Doge of Pisa, I was traveling by sea from the far reaches of India: we landed on the bustling port city of Basra as the way to the Red Sea was blocked because of the war my uncle Chiaffredo had declared against the Shia Caliph Abderahman Fatimid.

As we unloaded our goods to continue by a camel caravan, there I learned that Alexandria had fallen to Christian hands, Pisan hands. The residents of Basra, being of Sunni faith were neutral to this turn of events, as they were rival to the Shia and some time ago were in open conflict over Anatolia. They were still bitter over the fact that the Seljuk Sultan Kaikhusraw the Magnificent concluded a white peace with the boy- Emperor and their successful war progress was all for naught, thwarted by the greedy Shia Egyptians.

visco_interludeI_2.jpg

I opened my book which was my companion during this journey and promptly redesigned my crude sketch of the world, erasing Alexandria from the domain of the Shia Muslims and adding it to our beloved Republic. Such was the World in Anno Domini 1175, with a Third Crusade promising to change the borders and reinstall Jerusalem as the center of the Christian World.

visco_interludeI_3.jpg

visco_interludeI_4.jpg

visco_interludeI_5.jpg

visco_interludeI_6.jpg

On the Lands of the Christian Kingdoms, the Holy Roman Empire and the Muslim Blight of Denmark and Lithuania

visco_interludeI_7.jpg

I shall not be repetitive of the common knowledge that encompasses the realms of the Christian Kingdoms of the North: the Dutch King of France feuds with the Occitan de Béarn King of Aquitaine, continuing the rivalry which was first established when by a coup the French crown was placed upon the head of a Dutchman. As well as the Kingdom of Anglia is ruled by an Anglo-Saxon of the Hwicce Family, isolated in mists and having little to do with the mainland.

A decade or so ago, the Holy Roman Empire faced the treachery of the Premyslid family and their in law relatives, breaking the bond of oath they had vowed to. As thus, the Duchy of Tuscany, the Duchess of Provence and the Kingdom of Bohemia now draw their own course apart from the Holy Roman Empire, although it should be said some Premyslid relatives did remain loyal to the Holy Roman Emperor.

It should be noted that he as a man was doubted several times: some chroniclers called him in belittlement as Hrabisic, when he was in fact a von Luxemburg. The reason for this prejudice was the bonds of matrilineal marriage which he was tied to his wife Barbora Hrabisic, daughter of Duke Konrad II of Moravia, an ambitious woman who was said to boss around her husband and was the effective Emperor of the Empire. He cowered in fear before her but when she was not present, he would go at length to prove his virility in fiery speeches for the faith and the punishment of those who denied the supremacy of the Imperial throne over the spiritual doctrine, thus called "the Cruel" by his people.

visco_interludeI_8.jpg

Peculiar as it would seem, the Muslims had established themselves in the far reaches of the Northern Christian Kingdoms: two are such cases, the formerly Christian Kingdom of Denmark and the former pagan kingdom of Lithuania.

Many decades ago, the Cuman Tartars of the Terteroba Dynasty wrestled the Kingdom of Denmark away from the Estrid Royal Family, when the latter failed to pay them for their services. They, en force, stormed the Royal Castle and effectively made the King and their family as their servants, establishing the Khanate of Denmark. The current Khan Sokal is said to be missing, some claiming he is riding with his horde in the meadows of Denmark, others that he is preparing an invasion in secret on the other Christian Kingdoms

visco_interludeI_9.jpg

Likewise, the Muslim faith was found appealing to King Arelis II, a Prussian warlord who claimed himself as the King of all Lithuania. However Arelis II had more carnal reasons to be a Muslim: he was called the Lecher as four wives were not enough to satiate his appetite for his lustful way of living. He had sired eleven children with a multitude of wives, lovers and one time conquests. Surprisingly though he had developed a tolerance for the Jewish and Christian people and especially their women.

visco_interludeI_10.jpg

On the Lands of the Middle East, the Third Crusade and the heretic Kingdom of Hungary.

As I write these lines in this book, the bulk of the Middle East is commanded by the Turkish Seljuk Dynasty. Yet the lands are divided amongst their kinsmen: the Seljuk Sultan Kaikhusraw the Magnificent is hailed as the Sultan of Persia and Mesopotamia while a kinsman of his Arslan II Shah is the Sultan of Arabia. Intricate conspiracies and faction demands lead to this peculiar separation of lands, citing the increasing decadence of the Seljuk and their love for luxury. Both of them though are known for their kindness and especially Arslan II for his love for the Jews and Christians. Hopefully, when the situation is calmer in Egypt, I may perhaps land in the ports of Oman and Aden and trade in valuable incense which is most demanded in the clergies of Europe.

visco_interludeI_11.jpg

visco_interludeI_12.jpg

A mention of the Middle East could not be complete without reference to the ongoing Third Crusade for Jerusalem. Taking advantage of the Holy War for Alexandria and the counter- charge of the Greeks, having as their only front the attempted Jihad for Anatolia, the Crusaders have steadily reported success in their goal. I hope, God willing, if I reach Pisa in time I may convince father to participate myself and atone for my sins.

visco_interludeI_13.jpg

I cannot also omit the reference of the heretics of Hungary and their path led astray under the creed of the Waldensians. In the realm of Hungary, laymen can also perform sacraments and the churches have been abandoned, falling prey to excessive looting under the tenet of poverty and humility. May God help their souls.

visco_interludeI_14.jpg

Thus I conclude my writing with the charts of our republic’s tradezones and our rivals, as well as our family merchant endeavors in the Mediterranean. With Alexandria under Visconti hands I am sure our Familia will become richer than before and proud Visconti ships will sail to India, bringing back with them prized spices and silk from Cathay and beyond!

visco_interludeI_15.jpg

visco_interludeI_16.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
Pisa is looking quite impressive for a republic. If you keep this up, you might be an empire by the end of this, controlling Italy and Africa.

Love that Denmark is still Muslim, and Lithuania adding to the religious situation is even more interesting. You're going to have a diverse world by the end of CK2.

So that's the story of the Hrabisic. Interesting. As are the Northern Muslims :confused:.
Giordano with his virtues is so un-Visconti. His namesake would not be pleased.

Pisa is looking quite impressive for a republic. If you keep this up, you might be an empire by the end of this, controlling Italy and Africa.

Love that Denmark is still Muslim, and Lithuania adding to the religious situation is even more interesting. You're going to have a diverse world by the end of CK2.

If they can hold their ground against the sea of Christians, it would be a unique sight for the Muslims of Northern Europe :)

So that's the story of the Hrabisic. Interesting. As are the Northern Muslims :confused:.
Giordano with his virtues is so un-Visconti. His namesake would not be pleased.

Who would have expected a thrifty clerk to become a True Christian Knight? Mind you, Giordano the Young is not a product of my education ;)

Arc I

Chapter 8: Cassio Visconti, Eleventh Serene Doge of Pisa, First Doge of Alexandria

Part 1: A True Christian Knight/ An Unwilling Crusader

visco_chapter8_1_1.jpg

The sound of droplets of rain falling interrupted Cassio’s daydreaming. Where did his mind now wonder again? To the time he was young and accompanied his father Giordano in Murcia, to the Emir Mubashir II? Was it again to the grand houses and edifices he constructed as Lord Mayor of Amalfi? Or maybe Princess Eudokia, his majestic wife, who aspired one day to sit upon the throne of the Greeks?

visco_chapter8_1_2.jpg

“No…Giordano…where are you my boy...that foolish child must have been caught by bandits! And I told him not to…”

“…declare that I am a Christian trader and a citizen of Pisa. For they will ransom me, after they make me a eunuch, if that is they catch me first!” said a young voice.

Cassio rose from his desk and left the chronicle of the Familia he was reading, trying to spot where the voice came from. He widened his eyes once he spotted the figure and ran towards the young man. He embraced him and then slapped firmly his face

“I should have punished you for your insolence to the capofamiglia… but you are back! Your mother has been worried sick of your travels... God knows what dangers you faced…. now then, let us leave this all behind, did you bring anything useful with you?” said Cassio. When he finished his sentence, the young man, Giordano – his son, brought a pack of notes which he handed to his father

“Tales , father, from our world! The Kingdom of the Night, the land of India where St. Thomas preached and oh so many places…”

“…any gold? Spices? Silk?”

Giordano let a sigh. How did his father become such a materialist?

“I did not keep something for me but all I brought, I did give it promptly to the Familia treasury. Cousin Gerardo should know, ask him.”

“Pah…you are beyond correction… a true Christian Knight! This fad will pass I am certain once you realize what truly governs the world…money and the law, nothing else. And he who has the money makes the laws, remember that!”

Giordano frowned. He understood the differences with his father. His grandfather was no different, from what he had learned. Giordano the Goldhound was how he was called in his heyday.

“A letter for you, father. It seems you have shaken some feathers with completing the holy war of uncle Chiaffredo. I wonder if he became a Knight Templar incognito in the castles you granted to them in Giza…”

Cassio shook his head, then took the letter and read it out loud. A Papal letter did not bid good news, it had become a Visconti tradition. And he was right…

visco_chapter8_1_3.jpg

The Moor of Pisa has clearly forgotten to render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's. He has consecrated in his own name his half-brother Giordano Visconti as the Bishop of Alexandria, annulling a marriage which only We have the right to do so. He has granted the castles of Giza to the Knights Templar and not a single castle or church to His Holiness. But God sees through his pride and greed… which we must guard ourselves from it. The Papal State and Genoa stand shoulder to shoulder against the vices of Pisa, praying for its sin and for salvation.

visco_chapter8_1_4.jpg

Cassio crumbled the letter and threw it immediately at the fireplace. Was there somewhere that the Pope did not interfere? Pisa triumphed over the infidel, where only before there was defeat. Christendom should have rejoiced that Alexandria, one of the most important episcopal sees of early Christianity, was once again back to the fold of the Church. Yet the Pope smears the victory with accusations of the deadly sins which have corrupted the Republic of Pisa…

“Father, I am sorry to say, but on my way home it was common ground of the pilgrims who returned, that our Republic took advantage of the war in the Levant for personal gain, while the Crusaders are being hammered by the forces of the infidel…. where it not the ongoing Jihad for Anatolia, the current Crusade would have ended much earlier, in defeat as before”

Cassio eyed his son Giordano

“And what is your suggestion? Surely you do not imply to give His Holiness our hard fought provinces in Alexandria.. our Familia has strived to gain access to the East through that very gate, we cannot just grant it away for the whim of the Pope!”

“No…but there is something else we can do. And something my grandfather, your father, had done and gained great fame and recognition from the Church… we should don the Crusader Cross and restore Jerusalem from the infidel!”

Cassio put his palms on his face… how did his son turn into a zealot? He was tutored in the arts of stewardship and how to gain money, not to chase dragons and speak high and holy words in a world ruled by profit and interest.

“My son… you know…fine. You are young and have not even seen a battle. I hardly believe you came upon any pirates and bandits to see the horrors of war. I will grant you your request. Let us go to Rome and talk to the Pope in person and see what can come out of this. I wont sit with idle hands and become excommunicated just because His Holiness cannot be Pope of Alexandria as well!”

Giordano’s eyes lightened up. At long last, he would crusade for the faith and put his talents to use by God. Cassio on the other hand was not as eager to join this adventure…

15 January 1176

Rome, Papal State

“All roads lead to Rome” said Cassio. He mumbled under his breath, once more having to cross the large extensions of the intricate web that was the Papal authority. While he directly did not have any dealings with the Pope, still in his mind lingered the whole accusation over his mother as the “Witch from Mali” and his foreign color always brought question over his allegiances. It was true that his mother retired to a monastery to repent for whatever sins she may have had, but in reality, everyone knew that she had become indirectly excommunicated by his own father, Giordano the Goldhound.

“Serene Doge Cassio Visconti…a pleasure to meet you in person at last. And who is this young lad?” said Benedictus X. He rose from his Papal throne and beckoned the two visitors to come closer

“This is my son Giordano Visconti. He has travelled to far India and claims there are Christian souls, proselytized from the time of St. Thomas himself…”

“Really then? I am sure your bravery to chart these waters is most commendable, the Church has need of men who are both courageous and ethical of their talents granted by the Grace of God…”

Cassio interrupted the Pope

“Holy Father if I may? Apparently You have been displeased with our decision to divide the lands of Alexandria to our judgment…”

Pope Benedictus X tilted his head

“You have let greed get the better of you my son Cassio. Such an important see such as Alexandria must be a part of our domain, it was one of the main heads of the Pentarchy after all. But you can yet redeem yourself… your soul and your mother’s Siya in purgatory…”

Cassio stared at the Pope, surprised by his mention of his mother. It seems old wounds would never heal…

“It is simple my son. Pisa is undeniably one of the major powers of our Catholic world. While the kings of Europe fight amongst themselves for petty reasons and the Holy Roman Emperor has ceased communion with Us, the Republic of Pisa has brought war to the infidel and succeeded. The African rite has been restored and I am certain Egypt will one day answer to Us. But now, the sake of Jerusalem is at stake…”

“…you can either gain glory and absolution for yourself and your family and, God willing, even the dominion of Jerusalem itself, or… the Lord knows what is in store for you in the afterlife. Pride and Greed are of the seven deadly sins of our world after all…”

So…a forced contribution to the Third Crusade. How quaint…

“All you have to do…. is kiss the Papal ring. And vow never to affiliate yourself with the Kaiser and his false creed.”

He knew where to hit Cassio. His pride. But should he win the crusade, the glory would be to him everlasting.

The Pope extended his hand, awaiting the sign of submission from Cassio, while Giordano looked.

He may take my pride…but there is one sin worth fighting for…one that even the Pope indulges in

visco_chapter8_1_5.jpg

“I offer the arms of Pisa in the Crusade… but I want one thing in exchange. The claim to the Duchy of Tuscany and Modena held by Duchess Garcenda Premyslid…”

The Pope was taken aback

“Are you bartering with the Pope? The Vicar of Christ?!” exclaimed Pope Benedictus X

“I will buy indulgences for my sin… I confess it is a mortal one… would 750 gold coins cleanse my soul?”

Pope Benedictus X was fuming with rage. Yet the gold coins offered was not a partly sum…in the end, he let his vice take hold of him

“Agreed. Your title claims will be granted. But you must assemble the Arsenal of Pisa at once and sail immediately for the Holy Land! The Crusaders of Christ cannot hold much longer, now that the Jihad is imminent to cease…”

visco_chapter8_1_6.jpg

Cassio and Giordano bend the knee and kissed the Papal ring. Henceforth they were Crusaders for Jerusalem, as well as the entire Serene Republic of Pisa, uniting their arms to recover the Holy Land from the Shia Caliphate. With much joy, the Crusading besiegers spotted the Pisan sail on the Coast of Levant and promptly Cassio and Giordano took their place to contribute towards the success of their venture, with the high stake of the Kingdom of Jerusalem being contested. A new player had entered the competition to win a place both in Heaven and in the Heaven on Earth…

visco_chapter8_1_7.jpg

How I love the responses to claim requests. Let us see if Cassio makes a paranoid clown out of himself in Jersualem.

If we only controlled the Middle East, imagine the economic possibilities! Better control of the Silk Road trade = more money = PROFIT!

How I love the responses to claim requests. Let us see if Cassio makes a paranoid clown out of himself in Jersualem.

The Pope is always mad when you ask him titles, I suppose it is evident that you do not ask them so that you can give them to him that is why he is always offensive :D Maybe the Patrician hat inspired him to insult Cassio as a clown... :)

If we only controlled the Middle East, imagine the economic possibilities! Better control of the Silk Road trade = more money = PROFIT!

So far by only controlling Alexandria, the profits have been considerable: if in the future I can secure Aswan, which has about three silk route trade nodes, I will be most content, money wise :) As the AAR progresses I will give more emphasis on the Middle East and the East in general!

Arc I
Chapter 8

Part 2: The storming of Jeursalem/ The victor of the Third Crusade/ The Triarchy founded/ Cassio presses the claims for the Duchy of Tuscany and Modena/ A Visconti on the Papal throne

visco_chapter8_2_1.jpg

(Gustave Doré (1832-1883), The Discovery of the True Cross)

Oh Father, please forgive me for I have sinned… for my sins cannot be washed even by the river Jordan…for I tread upon Your Holy Land with footprints bathed in blood, blood of the innocent , blood of sheep send to the slaughter…

For we saw Your Cross and frenzied… I….

“What are you stuttering about ,Giordano? Take what you can before the others! Look at that mighty golden gryphon, you there, bring some men and pull it down, we will ship it back to Pisa!!”

My earthly father, as if he was Mammon incarnated!

visco_chapter8_2_2.jpg

There could be no denial that the entry of Pisa in the Third Crusade for Jerusalem changed the tide of the war. The merchant and war fleet of Pisa alleviated many of the problems that the Crusaders were facing, mainly supply of rations and materials needed to continue the sieges. The Shia garrisons were entrapped, as the Crusader armies cut off their food and water supply until their ultimate surrender.

The Byzantine army meanwhile responded en masse to the Shia Jihad for Anatolia, ousting the last men from Antioch and the environs. The formal declaration did not take long to be announced: Caliph Salim called off the Jihad, trying to regroup his forces which were scattered across his domain. Basileus Anthimos II could not have had a better rite of adulthood: he was proclaimed the Hammer by the Greeks and his legitimacy sealed undisputedly.

visco_chapter8_2_3.jpg

In the Holy Land, the Crusade was but completed. Day by day the garrisons waved the white flag of surrender and it was by chance whether the surrender was respected or not: for many, believing their sins erased, committed new ones and appropriated loot and valuables to repay their material hunger. The Caliph though would not so easily admit defeat and mustered as many as he could for a decisive counter attack, the true Jihad he should have called for.

Ascalon and Jerusalem was firmly in Pisan hands: the Knights Templar, in service to the Republic of Pisa, maintained the peace, as much as they could as looting had become rampart with the capture of the city. Giordano would sink daily into depression, his dreams becoming a cruel lesson from his father Cassio. Serene Doge Cassio observed his son but in the end, he believed he would become tougher and become the man he should be and a true Visconti: the gallant rooster which signifies dawn and trumps proudly his adversaries.

To that end, Cassio believed that his contribution to the Crusade should not just be a honorific mention and the salvation of himself and his ancestors in Purgatory: Pisa and he would recreate Heaven in Earth and with the dawn of the 13th century in twenty years from their lifetime and Jerusalem in Christian hands, that Jesus Christ would descend for the Second Coming…

…or simply put Jerusalem would be a Pisan dominion, with all the power and glory concentrated on Familia Visconti.

And thus, the Crusader Army of the Republic of Pisa along with the revered Knights Templar packed their supplies and set course for Egypt, to hunt down the remaining Fatimids and win the race for the Crusade. The Egyptian forces were crushed at the mountains of Qus after ambush. Then they were pursued to the depths of Africa, even reaching as far as Nopatia and Nubia to secure victory. The Crusaders left no survivors in their wake.

visco_chapter8_2_4.jpg

26 August 1178

Jerusalem

Almost a year had passed from the day Jerusalem was stormed and the Crusaders claimed the city for God and Christ. Most of the knights had already left to their homeland, seeing their mission complete and their purpose achieved. However there were those, mainly the Crusading Lords, Counts, Dukes and higher ranking nobles who waited impatiently for the official conclusion of the Crusade and their reward, with land or gold or both, for their endeavors.

Amongst those nobles, a woman had made her presence felt: it was Countess Bébinn of Tír Eoghain, one of the main supporters of the Crusade since its beginning and the one who was the main contender to the crown of Jerusalem. A skilled tactician, ruthless with the sword and cruel to her adversaries, she inspired awe and fear to her troops and the rest participants of the Crusades.

Some even said she found an excuse to crusade as to get away from her incompetent husband, to whom she was matrilinealy married as well, and enjoy the presence of real men near her. This woman was bound to become the new Queen of Jerusalem and already preparations were made for her to be announced as such.

visco_chapter8_2_5.jpg

“All rise for the new Queen- apparent of Jerusalem!”

The assembly of Irish knights rose and cheered as Bébinn made her way towards the altar, in front of the Cross of Jesus Christ. Just as the moment the crown was about to be placed on her head, the doors slammed open and upon a black horse stood a colored figure: Cassio Visconti

“Hold your crown in the air there clergyman. For the true King of Jerusalem stands before you!”

What an outrage, the Irish mumbled. The Moor is obstructing the ceremony!

“Read the letter with the Papal Bull intact and do not rush to create precedents, for His Holiness would be most irate to learn a bishop such as yourself to anoint the future ruler of the Holy Land!”

Cassio threw the scroll at a deacon, who hastily brought it at the temporary Bishop of Jerusalem. He opened the Papal Bull and widened his eyes…

visco_chapter8_2_6.jpg

That means….

“I, Cassio Visconti, the son of Giordano the Crusader and Siya, the one you slurred as witch, am the Serene Doge of Jerusalem and Protector of the Holy Land. Move aside Irish wench and retire your position!”

visco_chapter8_2_7.jpg

She spat at Cassio and raised her sword. The Pisan Pikemen Retinue protruded their lances.

“You dare defy a Papal Bull? I would most enjoy to make you suffer for your audacity but in the spirit of Christendom, I wont.”

“And with that, let it be known that the Triarchy of Jerusalem shall be assembled as of now: the Republic of Ascalon, administered by an elected official, the Prince-Bishopric of Jerusalem, headed by Prince- Archbishop Giordano Visconti, the Bishop of Alexandria and the Duchy of Galilee ruled by the Headmaster of the Knights Templar, who has sworn allegiance to my person. So it is written, so shall it be done!!”

visco_chapter8_2_8.jpg

The Pisan Italians began to chant: Cassio the Great, Cassio the Great. The building shook with their vibrance of voice, as he dismounted from the steed and , as if a theatrical scene, his half brother Giordano appeared dressed with vestments of white and gold. He pushed aside the former Bishop and proceeded to place the crown upon Cassio’s head. Cassio Visconti the Great, the Serene Doge of Pisa and Jerusalem, Protector of the Holy Land and Liberator of Jerusalem.

The remaining nobles exited in hurry, unable to realize how the crown was stolen right from their grasp. How a burgher from Italy, who arrived only a year or two less from the end of the Crusades, snatched what was their toil for years. How a man who was the product of a witch from Mali would be hailed as the Defender of the Holy Land! But now, none of that mattered. Pope Benedictus X issued a celebration across the Christian World and Cassio was the main hero of this Crusade.

With the Crusades behind him, the Christian world had forgotten all about the Defensive Pact of the Pope after the Holy War for Alexandria. The Pope himself recanted it, leaving Genoa to pout for the lost opportunity to confront the Pisans.

As such, Cassio decided to devote some time to the Familia and solve any potential differences that may have arisen. The Familia Visconti now had many branches, the most prominent of them being himself, secondly Duke Ugo of Sardinia, his heir apparent, and thirdly Duke Chiaffredo II of Capua, son of the Tenth Serene Doge of Pisa, the infamous Chiaffredo. He had granted the Duchy of Sardinia to Ugo Visconti, Baron of Sassari, in an effort to decentralize, as well as the Republic of Amalfi to Patrician Ercole della Gherardesca, in order to strengthen his house position against the Alliata and the d’Appiano.

visco_chapter8_2_9.jpg

But Cassio’s mind was always troubled and cautious of danger. Although his daughter Giacinta put him at ease, still rumors of a potential assassination from the Premyslids made him worry again. He could not live with the threat of Tuscany and Modena to invade Pisa, despite her being the most successful Republic of the Christian world.

He decided to press the claims he was granted by Pope Benedictus X and expel the Premyslids once and for all from his near demesne. To the Duchess’s aid came the King of France, the Dutch King of France, perhaps inspired by her beauty and seeing her as a damsel in distress

visco_chapter8_2_10.jpg

While Cassio was battling with the forces of Duchess Garcenda and the King of France for her titles, news came from the Papal State, announcing that Pope Benedictus X had passed his spirit and the new Pope was Anastasius IV, a man who participated in the Crusades and was known for his controversial methods to proselytize the Levantines of Jerusalem.

What was more, the College of Cardinals, should Anastasius IV close his eyes, had decided the Preferatus to be no other than Cardinal Giordano Visconti, the Prince- Archbishop of Jerusalem.

visco_chapter8_2_11.jpg

It was good news for the Familia, for it was for the first time that a proper Visconti had become a Cardinal and furthermore the Preferatus, the man to become the next Pope. Surely Giordano’s status as Prince-Archbishop of Jerusalem and Alexandria had a tremendous role to play in the College’s preference.

Sadly though, some years later, Chiaffredo II Visconti , the Duke of Capua, died due to an illness and was succeeded by his daughter Antonia, an ambitious diligent woman, only seventeen years of age. Cassio was sincerely saddened by the news as a deep friendship bonded him with his cousin.

He was concerned that dowry hunters would attempt to woo young Antonia and so, as head of the family, made the decision to wed Giordano, his once gallant son and knight of Christianity, to his second cousin Antonia, hoping she would cure his depression he was inflicted from the Third Crusade. She accepted and the wedding was much celebrated.

Yet it was not the only reason for celebration: for on 8 May 1182, unexpectedly, Pope Anastasius IV succumbed to illness himself and with much joy, Giordano became Pope Honorius II, the first Visconti Pope. At long last, only good news could come from the Papal State, so long as Honorius II sat upon the Papal throne!

visco_chapter8_2_12.jpg

At last, Jerusalem is under its proper ruler... you. Now we just need some cleaner border, maybe become an Emperor in a generation or two?

I feel bad for Countess Bébinn. It'd have been cool to see the AI end up as Queen of Jerusalem. It's nice that you have it, but I wouldn't have minded her controlling it.

A Visconti Pope! That's fantastic. Even better, he apparently adores you. Bright days are ahead for the family. What do your borders look like now that he took some of your land with him?

At last, Jerusalem is under its proper ruler... you. Now we just need some cleaner border, maybe become an Emperor in a generation or two?

I feel bad for Countess Bébinn. It'd have been cool to see the AI end up as Queen of Jerusalem. It's nice that you have it, but I wouldn't have minded her controlling it.

A Visconti Pope! That's fantastic. Even better, he apparently adores you. Bright days are ahead for the family. What do your borders look like now that he took some of your land with him?

I too would have been content about an Irish Queen of Jerusalem but something about the ambition to form a Serene Republic of Jerusalem, another to get even with the Fatimids lead me to rush the victory for the Visconti. As of Honorius II, formerly Giordano Visconti, of course he adores Cassio: he made him Prince- Archbishop of Jerusalem and Bishop of Alexandria! Otherwise, he would have been an average family member of the Visconti..

As of his ascension to Pope, fortunately he did not take those lands with him and they were passed to some (lowborn) cleric.

If the Pope doesn't do well by the Visconti, make a Visconti Pope. ;)

Was about time too, this AAR couldnt be complete without an influential Italian family moving the strings and placing a Pope of its own :)

Sorry for the time it took me to reply, RL, brainstorming how to continue the narrative of the AAR, are some of the issues I was away, I hope for a next part, even today! The story of Cassio is intriguing and I hope the frequent Republic successions does not damage the flow of the report :)

Reactions:
Sorry for the time it took me to reply, RL, brainstorming how to continue the narrative of the AAR, are some of the issues I was away, I hope for a next part, even today! The story of Cassio is intriguing and I hope the frequent Republic successions does not damage the flow of the report :)

Take all the time that you need.

Reactions:
Arc I

Chapter 8

Part 3: A Holy Alliance/ Pisa expands into Tuscany and Modena/ The Grand Principality of Pisa/ The Pisa- Holy Roman Antipapal War/ Genoa submits to the Duke of Susa/ Cassio Visconti claims Genoa and Susa

visco_chapter8_3_1.jpg

“It gets better and better…an alliance with the Papal State! No longer would we fear the prying eyes and ears of the Pope’s legates and the whims of each Pope. At long last, my half-brother has proven useful for the Familia!”

Honorius II , son of Giordano Visconti the Gold Hound and Evanthia Tarchaneiotes, would be the first Visconti to be called Pope. Formerly the Prince- Archbishop of Jerusalem and Bishop of Alexandria, as a man of the cloth he was not astounding: a dutiful cleric, who interpreted the rules at will (and married in secret, before his ascension as Bishop and then Archbishop), he was known for his servitude towards the Familia, ensuring the Papacy employed many lesser branches of Visconti members.

It did not come as a surprise when the alliance of Pisa and the Papal State was sealed. Keeping his oath to the former Pope, Cassio refused to deal with the Holy Roman Empire: in fact the latter stages of his life would be filled with open conflict with the Holy Roman Empire and Emperor Dietmar Hrabisic- von Luxemburg.

But first, with the help of his half- brother in Rome, came the conclusion of the war for Tuscany and Modena. The Pisan and Papal troops gave the final blow to the weakened Tuscan and French armies, signaling the defeat of (former) Duchess Garcenda Premyslid.

In an act of benevolence, Cassio Visconti allowed her to be the Countess of Parma, placing her under the vassalage of her former vassal, the count of Modena (and newly bestowed Duke of Modena).The significance of Firenze and Siena as Grand Cities became more prominent under the Republic of Tuscany, with their Lord Mayors overseeing the feudal castles and the demesne churches. Lucca remained under the personal dominion of Cassio Visconti.

visco_chapter8_3_2.jpg

Of course, the expansion of Pisa to Tuscany and Modena, although it brought ample breathing space, alarmed the nearby kingdoms and polities, and mainly King Orderic de Hauteville ‘the Noble’, whom eagerly instituted a Defensive Pact against Pisa.

Some minor lords such as the Duke of Salerno, Venice, Genoa and Aragon joined but amongst them was also a peculiar inclusion: the dwarf Zirid Sultan of Africa, only in name, with his last pirate hideout in Syracuse. Cassio deemed it a good opportunity to ride the Zirids out of business once and for all, with the prospect of the Serene Republic of Africa to be formed, as all its lands were effectively Pisan.

The war was trivial and not even those who pledge upon the Pact went into the effort to defend their coalition member. In only a few months, the Zirid Sultanate was a past and the dwarf Sultan, reduced to a courtier in the remnants of Muslim Spain.

visco_chapter8_3_3.jpg

All of de jure Africa was now rightfully in the hands of Cassio Visconti, the Serene Doge of Pisa and Jerusalem. After a spectacular triumph, he announced himself as the Serene Doge of Africa and not only: it would mark the creation of the Principality of Pisa and he himself would be the First Grand Prince. A Plutocratic Principality, Cassio Visconti, the Grand Prince, would be the first amongst equals, the administrator of the various Republics under the aegis of Pisa. The populace was living in interesting times, in glory similar they had not seen for centuries.

visco_chapter8_3_4.jpg

However the personal glory of Cassio would bring him misfortune some years later: corresponding with his half-brother the Pope Honorius II, he expressed his grief over the tragic loss of his son Giordano, the proclaimed True Christian Knight: he would die by an illness, his depression, unable to cope after the traumatic events which transpired in Jerusalem.

Depression also would claim Duke Ugo Visconti of Sardinia, the heir apparent of Cassio and the Principality, he in turn would be succeeded as heir to the Principality by Ausonio Visconti, the Amateurish Plotter son of Chiaffredo, the Tenth Serene Doge of Pisa. The death of their firstborn son devastated his wife Eudokia Doukas, who soon died bedridden and infirm. The Grim Reaper seemed to prey on the Familia Visconti.

visco_chapter8_3_5.jpg

As time progressed, Cassio would become an increasingly harsh man to the point of open cruelty . His mourning over his wife took only three days, having coped with her gradual decline after the news of their son’s death.

He would remarry Theognosia Doukas, the second daughter of Prince Kyros, the Doukas who adopted Catholicism in a bid to win the Imperial Throne of Constantinople. As it was usual, he gathered a Royal Aid Duty, to compensate for the wedding fit for a Grand Prince. It should be noted that her hand was asked by the Kaiser Dietmar, but was promptly rejected.

This though was only a detail in the grander scheme of things: for news came from the Holy Roman Empire that the German merchants had banded into a trade league by the name of Hansa, to compete with the Visby traders and the Italian mercantilism promoted by Pisa. Added to the fact that the Holy Roman Emperor did not acknowledge Rome as the rightful Pope, it was certain that he would gather great wealth in his demesne.

The Pisans had to act. There was only one way to cut short this threat from the north: the Anti-Pope had to be deposed.

visco_chapter8_3_6.jpg

The might of the Holy Roman Princes would be pitted against the Italian plutocrats and the theocracy of the Papal State. Armies mustered at large, levies and paid swords, to determine with conflict who the rightful Pope was: the one in Rome or the one of Ravenna.

At the mountains of Reggio nell’ Emmilia first blood was drawn as the forces of the Kaiser were mislead into an ambush.

visco_chapter8_3_7.jpg

Paramount generals from the Pisan side would score a crushing victory. The same example was followed in the plains of Lucca, with the troops of the Kaiser been broken into wild retreat in the safety of the Alps.

visco_chapter8_3_8.jpg

Soon enough, the Pisan troops were in siege of Ravenna, the false Papal seat. After storming the See, with the hope of capturing the Anti-Pope, Ravenna fell quickly to Pisan hands. Yet the Anti-Pope was nowhere to be seen, having escaped capture. The Grand City of Ancona would later fall, marking the supreme victory of the Papal forces.

Kaiser Dietmar was forced to accept Papal sovereignty. Whatismore, Cassio proposed his excommunication from the Holy Church, having led the Holy Roman Empire for so long outside the nominal communion of Rome. Pope Honorius II agreed with no reservation.

visco_chapter8_3_9.jpg

Meanwhile, the Republic of Genoa faced dire times. The glutton Duke Ulrich Aleramicci of Susa through a fabricated title laid his hands on Genoa itself and after a series of wars, the Grand City of Genoa fell.

The Patrician Families fled in exile in Pavia and the trade network was disrupted, with the ports falling in disarray. Ulrich Aleramicci proclaimed himself Duke of Genoa and Susa, ending immediately the Maritime Republic. Pisa became effectively the dominant sea trading power in the Western Mediterranean.

visco_chapter8_3_10.jpg

Cassio, the First Grand Prince of Pisa, would continue to manage the affairs of the Principality as well as the Familia. His elevation as Grand Prince, Protector of Jerusalem and restorer of the union of the Catholic Church would bring him great prestige.

The King of Bohemia, Castolov II Premyslid, asked in marriage the hand of his daughter Fosca Visconti. Seeing the potential political leverage he would gain against further intrusion upon the Holy Roman Empire, Cassio accepted. An alliance was promptly formed between Pisa and Bohemia, uniting the two realms against their common enemies.

Of course, Cassio took advantage of the correspondence with his half-brother the Pope to ask of him a favor: a rightful claim to the Duchies of Genoa and Susa, held by the impious Ulrich. This brought into a difficult position Pope Honorius II, who already had gained the reputation of promoting the Visconti agenda entirely. He agreed in the end, not before scolding his half-brother for his request.

Around those years, Ausonio Visconti, the heir apparent, would die to natural causes at the age of sixty two. The new heir would be Sinibaldo Visconti, a dutiful cleric, coming from the Grand Inquisitor line of the Visconti

visco_chapter8_3_11.jpg

24 March 1195

visco_chapter8_3_12.jpg

These books…how they remind me of the reports of Giordano from the Kingdom of the Night and India…if only that boy had become more tough, what a fine man he would have been…

I wonder if those monks would be interested in deciphering that ancient tome of my family, il Libro…I cannot make any sense of it whatsoever. Maybe Sinibaldo would have better luck sometime, I sure did pay a lot for him to be the second Grand Prince of the Principality.

“My Grand Prince. Our armies are assembled to strike the Holy Roman Empire once more. Pope Honorius II, your half-brother, is already a days distance from our troops. Castolov too is ready to strike the heart of the Empire…”

Cassio nodded passively.

“How did the Emperor receive the news?”

“I am certain he would be raving like a madman…The Holy Roman Princes elected a man who was zealous as to appease Honorius II and were taken aback from our claim on Genoa and Susa. Apparently Ulrich’s transgression did not mean anything to them..”

“What of my son Ausonio? How is he doing?”

“My Grand Prince.. your wife Princess Theognosia reports he is in good health, although time to time he is…overacting on his desire to be fed. She reports he has even bit her most viciously!”

Cassio scoffed

“He is a toddler what would you expect? It shows he wants to stay alive..well then, off with you. I have more to read on this fascinating book here..”

visco_chapter8_3_13.jpg

What lies! This book only goes about to prove the world is round and not flat? Surely there must be more to it…

Cassio then drifted to sleep, with the book on his lap….

A strange dream… why, there is Giordano, in a Knight Templar uniform and upon a horse? …. How odd….

visco_chapter8_3_14.jpg

Beating the HRE in battle is no mean feat! :)

Reactions:
At last, Pisa is an empire! Well done reaching such a wonderful point of power.

Ah, an insane infant. That'll be fun, assuming he lives into adulthood.

Giordano the true Christian knight never would have stood a chance in Pisa anyway.

Reactions: