• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, now I feel like I'm playing like a coward... That's some crazy expansionism.
I suspect certain historically expansionist countries like Ottomans and Russia are just hard-coded to play more aggro than usual in terms of declaring risky wars.
Kinda. They have a higher chance of getting militaristic rulers. IIRC the same applies to Brandenburg/Prussia and Bahmanis (?).

Well, now I feel like I'm playing like a coward... That's some crazy expansionism.

Han Solo would say: "Hey, it's me! ;)"

Seriously, player styles can differ. I have been an opportunistic expansionist militaristic ruler since I started Eu4. It's just how I like to play.

But I will never expect others to adopt my playstyle.. That is up to you to decide :)

Chapter 6: The legacy of Francesco III

Ok, Ottomans are invading us. If I leave troop movements to AI, both Poland and Austria will likely get picked off seperatly and destroyed.

Ottoman troops with janissary bonus can easily shock you to death, so this won't be the walk in the park like it seems..

Note that I found updated version of the bright white font mod that I love to use for AAR purposes.. All the text on the screenshots will be lot easier to read now.

As proven here. With equal odds, the Ottomans will just slaughter any stack. Lucky Austria was near; they moved in!

An overview. The Ottoman fleet is fearsome, and would kill fleet in direct comat.. So I use the fleet to ferry troops to the north side of the Bosporus.

Austria and Poland are moving all their stacks in.. And Naxos is trying to do the same.

That was needed, as the Ottomans are bringing in their full might! The Ai never considers stacks in closeby provinces when attacking... Poland and Austria are on way to reinforce the fight!

Ottomans attacking in farmlands is usually a death sentence, because they can profit lot better from wide combat width then... Janissaries give Ottomans 10% infantry combat ability, and 5% discipline.. Usually that means getting WRECKED in shock phase, if you fight Ottomans in flat provinces with high combat width. Especially if Ottomans have more military tactics then whoever they are fighting..

But NOT if 60+k troops reinforce the fight while its ongoing!

This is why Ottomans can win versus superior numbers... They have full manpower pool, and their troops will replenish.. But the troops on my side only look at empty manpower pools..

Francesco started to worry a little bit, after his allies consolidated their stacks and moved to siege this or that.

If his allies spread too much, they can be destroyed easily when Ottomans come back!

Naxos is ferrying over all its mercenaries. They will be needed to fend off all these attacks!

Ottoman fleet caught me though... And I had to consider the new fort zone of control rules too.. I routed my fleet towards Zeta, to reinforce the fights from the west. As long as that Silistre fort doesn't fall, troop movement is buggered in the east..

A dangerous game of cat and mouse began. I switched to speed 2, and watched carefully what the Ottomans were doing. I parked my troops in neighbouring provinces, and adapted to whatever the Ottomans did.

They seem keen on attacking again! MOVE folks!

AI seems confident it can win with 37k troops versus Austria 50k, and they easily can..

Nigbolu province is farmlands, even if it looks like hills!

I said MOVE! The full might of the Ottomans is descending upon us!

Francesco threw whatever he had in that fight, in desperate attempt to repel the heathens!

HOLD THE LINE!

That battle was won also.. Time for some guerrilla warfare!

Basically, the Idea is to fend off the Ottomans while I siege Carpathia and Balkan region..

I started sieging whatever I could with minimal troop numbers.. The fights will always be around Constantinople.

HEEEERE they come again. I adapt..

The troops in Felibe got scared of my stack, stopped, and then moved straight to reinforce the fight in Selanik. My stack didn't care, and marched to reinforce that fight... The 'stopped' stack in Felibe resulted in the other Ottoman stack being 'forced' to attack the Austrians alone, due to being movement locked..

Micromanaging for the win.

My fleet delivered more crusader troops in our former capital of NAXOS, and from there they marched on the fort in Anabolu!

All this fuss made me forget that I had other wars ongoing still..

In previous war I said Brittany was the real target. I take ONE province, mainly to spread my coring range, and to get a shot at getting some sort of CB on England (might come in handy).

Spreading coring range with bridgehead provinces has always ben my tactic in Eu4, and sooner or later those bridgehead provinces always prove VERY useful.

For example, if I ever want to invade England, and occupy Wessex, then a cog fleet can ferry over troops in days, when the English fleet is elsewhere..

If that second stack hadn't been delayed, then Austrians would have been slaughtered most likely.

Ottomans do MORE casualties in this fight.. But they never managed to break the front line. Our artillery was undamaged. Theirs got damaged though!

The siege concluded short after, and now Austria moves to Edirne!

The Balkans and Carpathia seem secured..

I got to hand it to the Ottomans.. Their strategy is to ATTACK until we are bled out of manpower..

Luckily the Crusader infantry consists of MERCS.. Naxos plays a bigger and bigger role in fending off the continuous attacks!

Note that I shift consolidated the mercs here, cause they didn't reinforce enough in time.

Important tip: if you hold SHIFT while consolidating troops, it prevents regiments from disappearing when they fill the rest. Instead, regiments will get depleted to 0 troops and fill the rest. You can then detach the regiments with 0 troops, and let them fill at a safe spot.

This is handy when you are out of mercs to hire, or when you rather want to pay for reinforcement rather then spending ducats on hiring new regiments..

Hungary and the rest is on the move to reinforce this fight..

This screenshot shows why Ottomans declared on us alone.. Naxos did an eight roll versus their 2 roll in the shock phase, and the OTTOMANS still do more casualties then us!

An army that has 10% infantry combat ability and 115% discipline is HARD to defend against!!

We drove them back once more, but at what a cost? At least we broke their front line again, resulting in a load of artillery casualties!

this was an important turning point in the war...

The Edirne fort fell, and Naxos moves in its fleet. Due to zone of control rules, the Naxian fleet now BLOCKS the strait from Edirne to Biga! And Constantinople has a load of stacks on it.

The AI takes no attrition wherever due to exceeding province limits.. Works to my advantage here.

The Ottomans didn't dare to attack anymore...

Note that I simply white peaced Mantua and Savoy at this point. Well, I took their ducats and war reparations etc. I won't take anything now, as I am in coalition danger..

And what did they do? Move south. They stupidly blundered into my rebel stacks...

GOOD!

I wish to note that the AI can NOT handle players that delete all the forts on their land.. The Ottomans can gain NOTHING from occupying Naxosian Arabia, so they get drawn to the subject or ally forts.. I thought they were going for the fort of Algiers next to Tunis, but then they moved into Jerusalem.

Ehh... what are you doing Ottomans?

Last edited:

Beats me.. But who cares. Naxos CROSSED the Bosporus now, into Turkish mainland! Their capital fell, and my allies sieged the other fort across the Bosporus..

The forts in the Balkans fell short after, and all troops got moved across the Bosporus.

Hungary decided its good idea to start a siege on a mountain fort in the east... Yeah sure, go ahead!

Outsieging the AI has always been a cornerstone of my overallwar strategy..

This is VERY important. Siege pips on generals combined with max artillery bonus gives you +5 or +7 bonus to rolls on sieges easily! And it makes a siege start at positive chance sometimes, if you can also BLOCKADE the fort 100%.. This siege started at 0% success chance from day 1!

Basic rule of thumb is that 1k artillery always gives +1 bonus to sieges. After that, you need 5k artillery for each fort level. So a level 2 fort needs 10k (total) artillery in the siege stack to get +5 siege bonus (the maximum). A level 4 fort 20k, and so on.

ERRR.. Are you blind, Ottomans? Those aren't MY troops, those are REBEL stacks!

I am starting to wonder if this is a bug.. Allies will kill rebel stacks on your territory or on occupied territory during a war.. But it seems the ENEMY also goes for rebel stacks from THEIR enemy during a war..?

There are no forts down here.. I really don't get WHAT the Ottomans are doing here..

My war was won at this point, but I was curious what the Ottomans would do...

Yeah, once more they go for my rebel stacks..

Has anyone else seen this erratic behaviour?

Anyways, time to make peace.

Naxos took control of the Bosporus straits! And I got my core back from Iraq. I border Persia now again.. Note that Iraq got independent during coalition war, and then Ottomans ate them..

I still got a core on that one Iraqi province!

I deleted the fort in Edirne, and now the 2 straits can NOT be crossed by the Ottomans without sieging the forts that guard it. That will mean a HUGE difference in follow up wars.

Note that I also do this to get control of the Constantinople trade node over time.

Our allies were bled dry after all this.. Hence why Naxos asked Sweden to ally and marry them. Sweden ate most of Norway and Denmark, and they have discipline and +infantry combat ability, like the Ottomans.

Najd conquered Sharjah, that also got independent during coalition war. Naxos started reconquest war versus them, and also a war versus Golden Horde. These wars were pre-emptive strikes, to prevent them from joining a coalition..

Both nations had no allies. Easy wars.

Relations with Muscovy were still friendly, our RM was still active, and Muscovy ruler is 59 and still HEIRLESS. Sweden is rival of Muscovy, and is flagged as willing to attack us in a succession war, should the Muscovite ruler die without an heir!

Err, ok? That would give me free PU over Muscovy, and a chance to feed Sweden to Muscovy, and to take a Finnish province near Muscovy for myself.. (You can core all provinces NEXT to PU subjects also, this is why Poland can core next to Lithuania in Golden horde, for example).

Exciting isn't it? Let's cross our fingers..

But it wasn't my main concern. The former coalition nations all came out of truce, and Spain also. I *have* to attack, or Spain will likely form coalition again once they end that war versus Corsica.

I had prepared for this during the last months.

The situation: Spain declared on Corsica. 30k of their troops are sieging the province. A fleet is flagged as movement locked to the sea tile where my fleet is.

I declared NOW, with the intent of trapping the brunt of the Spanish troops on those islands...

Portugal and provence protect Spain.

I had landed troops near Lisboa before this war started, and they immediatly marched on Portugal. The idea is to annul their alliances and to peace them out quickly.

The ai is quite good at dodging your main fleet. BUT a few fresh galleys rowed like there was no tomorrow, and they will arrive just in time to engage the Spanish fleet.. And that will give the main fleet time to row in also!

Back in 1.9.2 and the Ryukyu aar, I was complaining a lot about the AI NOT making transports for their army.. Now the AI does do that, but they sometimes forget to protect their cog fleet!

50 Naxian galleys engaged the Spanish cogs!

See that 19k Spanish stack on Sardinia? They are TRAPPED now. A total of 36k Spanish troops trapped.

The main Spanish fleet retreated westwards (can't catch them BOO!) and I smiled ear to ear.

Almost the entire army of Spain is trapped on those islands..

Porto got occupied, and The Naxian armies marched on Toledo, whistling on the way.

Their capital fell fast.. 3 months and done. Spain is incredibly vulnerable after I took that land from Portugal..

Provence tried to resiege Porto, and I just black flagged them with my annul alliance seperate peace with Portugal. The idea is to attack them for real when they are without, allies and out of truce.

Important tip: annulling alliances lasts for TEN years. The idea is to make your seperate peace deliver a truce SHORTER then ten years, and then you can attack the involved nation again without (the old) allies. They can't re-ally.. Best to ask only 2x% warscore worth of stuff, because you got to get 25% warscore on the next war BEFORE the annul alliance ten years is over.. If you don't get 25% warscore before those ten years are over, they might ally their former allies again DURING the follow up war! Avoid that.

In other news: Naxos full annexed Golden horde. Ain't that a nice Naxosian Crimea now?!

The pope got attacked also, because why not. Got to love bashing the pope.. Especially if the clergy estate rules the nation!

In other news: Naxos full annexed Najd. Ain't that a nice Naxosian Arabia now?!

Francesco was fishing the Caspian Sea, and thought of Orlando Gavalas.

"Naxos controls the Levant now Orlando.. You would have been proud of the Crusade so far!"

He rowed back to the holy fishing village port of Astrakhan, and went to visit Orlando Gavalas Junior and his daughter Ariadne of Habsburg.

"Your son is guarding the future Empress of Naxos, Orlando.. And from the looks of it, I made a good choice naming him Kingsguard. Ariadne simply adores her knight in shining armour.."

The old king walked to the garden bench, and watched Orlando Junior practice swordplay in the Water Gardens. He dozed off, and dreamt of Ariadne riding the back of her white knight. They both wondered why daddy was smiling when he slept..

Spain saw its fleet sunk, their armies trapped, their ports blockaded, and their forts falling one by one..

This war is won.

The Pope got reduced to OPM. Can't full annex him, or Naxos would get penalty to diplomatic reputation until forever..

He can keep Rome, I guess.

Last edited:

GAME OF THRONES!

I was like "EEEH WHAT?" when I got this popup..

No succession war happened when Muscovite monarch died... I got a free personal union over Muscovy.

I suppose the Ai let Sweden contest, but they declined the offer. Or the tier where Muscovy was in changed.

Last I looked it was 'succession war between Naxos and Sweden' and now... POOF!

I think that getting a peacpul union over anyone WITHOUT sharding dynasty is new... I never saw this happen up to patch 1.9.2.

But who cares. We got a free personal union! Yay!

Provence got smacked by Naxian troops, and the A takes advantage again. France declares, and full annexes them. The ai is really a lot more opportunistic now..

Naxos didn't care. They attacked Savoy again, and the siege troops from Poitou moved to Brittany..

War won.. Naxos moved their troops from Spain to wherever rebels were close to popping.

To the Bosporus, for example. The forts prevent nationalism, and Naxos simply ferried troops across and engaged 'm.

The Evangelical Union happened, and the religious leagues in the HRE formed.

Naxos declared on Mantua, and that dragged in Switzerland. Siege stacks got moved, to peace out Switzerland quick..

Naxos made peace with Spain. Can't ask much due to aggressive expansion.. Naxos did get two centers of trade, and a colony on the Gold coast in Africa to expand their coring range.

Naxos got ducats, war reparations and their rival got humiliated..

The Italian wars were ended with a few decisive battles. They were busy with an attack from Milan, when I took my chance.

Mantua asked to release Lucca short after, and took Brescia.

GAME OF THRONES!

Sweden got a new ruler, and he is 49 year old and heirless. Let's marry them again and see what happens..

Rebels are more of a concern then nation armies, as usual..

Oh well. keeps me busy.

Savoy gave me my claims. All port provinces. A new coalition had formed, but dissolved now.. They must be SO afraid.

Mantua gave Cremona to fill my coring belly..Naxos had taken more Italian land, and had triumphed over Spain!

Francesco III became battle weary and travelled back to the capital.

The old king became sick with fever...

When he felt the end drawing near, he called for his daughter Ariadne and Orlando Junior.

On his deathbed, he declared Ariadne of Habsburg EMPRESS of Naxos.

"It has been a good life.. Naxos prospered under my rule, and I expect you both to safeguard my legacy."

The king closed his eyes, and Ariadne started to weep.

After a short while, the king beckoned to Orlando Junior. He knelt before the king.

"You will safeguard my daughter versus our enemies.. And they are many. The clergy estate will want her dead, and many will frown upon an heirless unmarried young woman ruling our Empire.. Stay vigilant, and protect her from harm!"

Orlando rose to his feet, puzzled. The king smiled, and nodded.

"I may have grown very old, but I never was BLIND to what was happening between the both of you... You have my blessing."

Orlando Junior looked at Ariadne with a tender look, and banged his right fist on his steel plate chest.

"You have my word, my liege. I will protect her, until death do us part."

The king closed his eyes, with a content smile. They left the Queen mother and the king to their last private moments, and the church bells started ringing all over the capital shortly after..

The emperor is dead...

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Last edited:
Great chapter, congrats on the peaceful PU. I hope and expect this sudden boost to your power will encourage you to take even crazier shenanigans in the near future.

As I posted in the PU thread the other week, I had the same happen in my France playthrough where I got a free PU over Brandenburg. Always great when it happens, especially since I'm going for the Better Than Napoleon achievement (own Berlin, Vienna and Moscow). I conquered Moscow directly from Muscovy and, after many decades, I finally got a De Valois on the throne of Austria in ~1615. They were heirless a great many times, but with their +heir chance and ton of royal marriages they always got a fresh one before mine died. The only small hiccup is that my dynastic heir ascended to the throne in a regency council and in the meantime they had another heir lined up, so I could not claim the PU day one. I will though, in the future. Austria has been my longtime ally and AE shield/soak, but I'm preparing on ditching them after conquering a bit more of the HRE. I don't want to miss out on a declaration with claim CB due to a truce from breaking alliance (although I could declare THROUGH it, especially if I save up some PI to boost up my stability, plus I have full diplomatic ideas for reduced effect). I'm now allied with a fairly big Sweden and a disgustingly blobbed Bohemia (Austria's bitter rival and since 10 years also with a De Valois on the throne, who knows what kind of possibility that gives) so that I can backstab them at the time. I don't even need them to help me in the war, I just don't want them to join the inevitable coalition when I force PU Austria (which is also fairly big).

In fact, my go to strategy is probably grab the last bits of the British Isles, finish up Iberia, consolidate more of the Balkans (which I conquered from the Ottos) and if by that time I still don't have a chance to force PU Austria OR Bohemia, feed my subject Muscovy some more. It's been a really fun campaign, I'm stomping everyone while honestly playing very relaxed, but France is a monster. That initial development allows you to be the biggest boy on the block and gobble up anything small next to you, until Elan kicks in and you can even go eye to eye with your strongest neighbours. And that's roughly 50 years after the beginning of the game, where only the Ottomans can give you a tough nut to crack in a one v one. I'll try and post a screenshot later if I remember :)

There's an art to utilizing rebels now.

If rebels share cores with neighboring countries they will often go siege said neighboring countries after they are done with yours.

If the rebels are of a country that exists, they will inherit the tech of that country. If they don't, they inherit the tech of the nation they spawn on, which generally makes them more dangerous for the player since players tend to have on-time military tech. Which means sometimes its not the best idea to kill of a tag if that tag has crappy military tech. Of course, less tags = less manpower pools that are interested in coalitioning you - its a tradeoff for sure.

There's an art to utilizing rebels now.

If rebels share cores with neighboring countries they will often go siege said neighboring countries after they are done with yours.

If the rebels are of a country that exists, they will inherit the tech of that country. If they don't, they inherit the tech of the nation they spawn on, which generally makes them more dangerous for the player since players tend to have on-time military tech. Which means sometimes its not the best idea to kill of a tag if that tag has crappy military tech. Of course, less tags = less manpower pools that are interested in coalitioning you - its a tradeoff for sure.

Yeah I tried it out and it works.. But I wouldn't sell Spain a claim on Portugal, just to use Spain as Scapegoat for rebels for example..

And it also won't work to let rebels win in 'blocked' regions of the Ottomans.. Naval ai is improved, and the ai makes transports and kills rebels even if they can't reach them directly from their capital..

I generally play without 'using' rebels against AI, tbh. But it IS fun to see Iraqi rebels walking to Ottoman territory. BYE rebels.

My game of thrones just turned even more disgusting than it already was :p I almost had Lithuania too, but they got an heir at 65+

A big Austria and Bohemia have my dynasty and Lithuania only just got away, I might be able to get those later. French Germany is an, by now integrated, former Brandenburg which I got a PU over pre 1500.

Bohemia is in a regency council for 8 years now, I hope they don't have an heir when he comes of age and I can declare day one.

41E9751A0C24BDD26BA1FB3FB69587C503C274A0

64DC5BB56EBEF352C04204721325CCED090DC689

Free PU over muscovy and Ottomans are licking their wounds, great job.

I think england will be the target in order to prevent some heavy colonizing?

I never stop colonizers. The amount of tarrifs you can get from integrating or full anexing ciolonizers is immense late game..

And I like a colonised world :)

My game of thrones just turned even more disgusting than it already was :p I almost had Lithuania too, but they got an heir at 65+

Yeah that happens lot more now so it seems. Some of the new women in history events for female heirs also seem to trigger quite fast (like the starlight event that gave Naxos Ariadne of habsburg).

I should check the MTTH of all dynasty events, and see if they lowered them..

I never stop colonizers. The amount of tarrifs you can get from integrating or full anexing ciolonizers is immense late game..

And I like a colonised world :)

Tbh i didnt mind that you probably go for the one faith achievement. Therefor a colonized world could be useful, as long as the main colonizers stay catholic.

Tbh i didnt mind that you probably go for the one faith achievement. Therefor a colonized world could be useful, as long as the main colonizers stay catholic.

I don't know yet if I'll have the vigor to continue this campaign to the end.. But I usually end up doing it anyways.. So one faith might be good goal.

If I may ask, which forts do you mean that "guard" the straits?

pff nevermind, seems I misunderstood the zone of control rules. Think I deleted the wrong forts..

I can't follow all the changes they did.

It seems that if one province on south side of strait is occupied, then they can cross no matter if its in a zone of control of a fort on the southern side of the bosporus. I saw this happen today.

Which quite frankly, is the opposite of what they told me in a thread I started for advice on the matter..

If I didn't put a fleet in marmara sea, they could cross. Beats me why.

Guess You need forts on the provinces NEXT to the strait, opposite of what whoever said..

Guess I should have deleted all from start.

Kinda funny that deleting all forts is the way to go if you are ruthless expansionist.

Especially if you place your capital on an island like Naxos or so.. NOONE can access that island if they don't get past your galley fleet.. Naxos and the other isles in that sea zone and Venice are silly OP capitals if you have no forts and a big galley fleet. I mean all isles that have land mas in one sea tile only (so Crete etc don't count).

I liked the old ZoC control system lot better, before all the changes. It was flawed, but at least it was understandable.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Wooooo this is going well. I once tried Corfu but lost willpower after gaining independence.

Never really looked at Corfu and what ideas they have. I suppose its similar start.

I think it would've been better to keep edirne and constantinople, as nobody can reach balkans nor cross to the middle east without occuping both. You have enough time to trap those troops with a galley stack and prevent reinforcing stacks to team up with the siege stack.

I think it would've been better to keep edirne and constantinople, as nobody can reach balkans nor cross to the middle east without occuping both.

doesn't this allow ottomans to cross due to overlapping zone of control?

Maybe I really shouldn't delve into this here...