• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You know that how? Because if game follows some baselines from HoI2, you can completly ignore espionage or diplomacy and still be perfectly fine.

Problem with your apporach is that you assume that R&D, Diplomacy and Espionage will have equal importance in game, which most likely not happen. To be exact, it shouldn't happen, as in wargame diplomacy is secondary issue, espionage might or might not work, while R&D will be your bread and butter in winning wars.

That's why game requires balancing systems here to ensure, that out of 4 sliders it will actually make sense to use more then 2 - and that putting 100% of your spending in just one field will result in potentially disastrous effects. Ability to switch your whole nation intellectual resources from developing nuclear bombs to becoming the officers on the whim or sending all of them to spying your enemies is both unrealistic and highly exploitable.

letting go of espionage is not an option IMO, because it consists of spy defence too. What use has more tech slots when your opponents have for example %75 chance each time delaying your research?

people at paradox are working to make a balanced game and I trust them, this is how I know that. At the worst case they can put min levels to certain sliders (perhaps tied to your ideology) so that you cannot put them all to zero.

I think you can try to be more positive and constructive. I am trying not to sound like a fanboi because I am not but the dev diaries impress me. I have a lot in my mind that I expect and most will probably not be in the game but a great game is always a good game and I trust Paradox will make a great game. For example I would be more happy with a tech system where you open projects and companies make bids and you select some of them for prototypes, after the prototypes are ready select one for production and so on but it will not happen. I can choose to be negative and curse everything else but I try to be positive and I get impressed by the work done.

Sorry for the ranting, it is nothing totally directed to you, I just am fed up with everybody cursing every single thing that they did not want.

Back on topic, 21 tech teams will get meaningless after some point where all relevant techs for the historical dates are researched. There will be 21 teams making close to none progress in their overly-rushed topics while enemy spies are roaming freely in your land forces command HQ full of IQ<50 officers while you have no hope of getting even your uncle in your alliance and trading 5 rare metals for 2 energy. In HoI2, when playing with a major, most of the time (when I am not tech-rushing something stupid stubbornly) I am already researching techs 1 year further than the actual date.

Maybe I am not the first to see it but what is the "Militia Conversion" tech supposed to be? A device to convert Mil to normal Inf?

Also what happens to the excess leadership spend on research? Does it speed up the projects a little bit?

I can see the image now, two questions: why 'infantry division', 'militia conversion' and 'night fighting equipment' have no pratical and theoretical requirements and what are those boxes beside them?

I can see the image now, two questions: why 'infantry division', 'militia conversion' and 'night fighting equipment' have no pratical and theoretical requirements and what are those boxes beside them?

I suppose there are no requirements because they are already researched. About the boxes beside them, I have no idea.

Remember this is still an alpha and Johan did say that the whole thing wasn't finished yet.

Do not forget the ahead of time penalty. Tigers in '38? It seems unlikely.

Tigers are just an example.

Actually, I'm suprised I have to explain it.

Again, 4-5 teams vs, let' say 20-22 teams. I mean, c'mon! 4 times more R&D power results in your country getting pretty much everything it wants in "historical date" treashold and some of the stuff ahead of the time.

Just to get some basic comparison - try to play HoI2 with house rule of using 1 tech team only. Ok, every 3 months you can activate 2nd team once. That's the difference you will get in R&D speed compared to the full 5 tech team power.

But the funniest part is it not simple linear rise. As you get more teams working, you amplify your teoretical/practical bonuses (as you get more techs with more teams, those madifiers rise faster then with just 4-5 teams), speeding your research even more.

As far as I understand the militia small arms debate, I can assume that researching more advanced infantry small arms would give a huge bonus to researching militia small arms so that once you get infantry small arms, you can quickly pull your militia to a similar tech level, but at the same time preventing china who was boosted militia-tech-wise turn into an infantry research powerhouse..

I get this impression as well.

If you research lots of small arms for infantry then presumably your Small Arms Practical goes up quite a bit and it becomes very easy to research small arms for militia.

But the way the code appears to work this can be asymmetric. If you research Small Arms Militia then the boost to Small Arms Practical can be defined as smaller, meaning you get less of an easy ride when you research teh small arms for your infantry divisions...

Actually, I'm suprised I have to explain it.
Oh, i understand the problem alright, I just think it's something the devs will have thought of already. I do not think they would leave this very exploitable.
As a solution of last resort they could always work with a diminishing return on investment. i.e. investing twice as much on R&D would not make R&D go twice as fast, even taking the increasing experience into account.

@Alojzy

Of course, that comes at the price of having your army leadership in the gutter, no diplomatic interactions and every foreign service infiltrating your country easily.

Sound like a fair deal to me.

What's the theory tab? I can see Land, Air and Naval behind it, but I believe that those resemble the doctrine techs in HoI2. Does the theory tab seperate the difference between in field techs and doctrines or does it contain something "new"?

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the techs are (or seem to be) missing the HoI style flavor descriptions and pics. I hope that they are included again, because that was the best part of HoI's tech system, IMO.

Is there a limit to how many different unit types a technology can affect?

And I'm not counting the "s" instead of "z" thingy ;)
Many words Americans spell with z are spelt with s in English ;)

left to right, bottom to top.

??(seamanship?), infantry practical, infantry theoretical, militia practical, militia theoretical, mobile practical, mobile theoretical, artillery practical, artillery theoretical, rocket practical, rocket theoretical, naval engineering

tactical bomber tactics, small ship theoretical, big ship theoretical, carrier theoretical, submarine practical, submarine theoretical, electronics practical, electronics theoretical, armor practical, armor theoretical, aeronautics, fighter tactics

fighter theoretical, strategic bomber tactics, ??, centralized execution, large unit tactics, individual courage, naval training, carrier practical, large ship practical, submarines of mass destruction ?? :), piloting

empty, CAS practical, TAC practical, NAV practical, STR practical, mechanics, chemistry, bombs practical??, bombs theoretical??, nuclear engineering, nuclear physics, ???

only an alpha screenshot but I couldn't help myself