• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Russia always makes me queasy, whichever Paradox game I happen to be playing.

How quickly are you managing to work down your debt? It looks quite crippling.

Rensslaer said:
Cornelius, Thank you for your kind comments. I have never known a Dacian before... quite cool!
Well, I just like to consider myself a Dacian, however, the Kingdom of Dacia disappeared around 100-200 AD. It was the last kingdom to fall to the Romans. The conquest of Dacia was I think also the last conquest of Cesar.
Nowadays, what was once Dacia is now Romania + Moldova (from where I am actually). I think it was a decision taken in 19th century when the principalities of Moldova and Wallachia joined it was taken the name of the country - Romania, in order to show the linkage to one of our ancestors - Romans, nevertheless, the bigest heritage comes from Dacians, and I think about 30% of words in my language does not have roots in either Latin or any other language that might have had some influence on the Romanian language.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just caught up. Excellent AAR! I like the different types of narrations that you use. I am curious as to how long it will take to get the economy strong again so you can start drawing dividends on your war gains.

Why do you have tariffs off? That's some 90/day you could be using to help pay your debt.

Lamprey said:
Why do you have tariffs off? That's some 90/day you could be using to help pay your debt.
Yes, but at the same time high tariffs upset POPs, because they are unable to purchase the goods they need, and as I remember from my Prussia games, in this period the militancy of POPs is quite high already from Liberal Revolution.

Thanks for the screenies and clues as to what else is going on in the world. (said while having feet kicked up on desk top, drinking a beer (or three) with Josh). :D

Can't wait to read the next update!

shawng1 said:
(a ghost from forum's past)

Glad I finally got a chance to look at this. Well written.

(was he really here?)
Shawn! Good to hear from you, Sir. Were your ears burning? We were talking about you: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160721&page=1&pp=25 .

I'm going to try to check out more of your Brandenburger AAR this week, though I'm also interested in your Japanese AAR.

Stnylan, Lews, Draco, Cornelius & Lamprey, thanks for your comments! I knew Dacia was more a state of mind than fact today, but it's neat anyhow. ;)

I'm actually wondering how I'm going to get out of the debt myself. In truth, because of some more wartime expenses (foreshadowing!), I'm back up to my peak again. But hopefully things will turn out for the better. My economy seems to have grown since I was first at that peak, and the interest is easier to absorb.

I was thinking... IRL, I know about 50 Nigerian barristers, each of whom promises to give me about $15 million. If I could find some Sokotan barristers in Vicky, I could perhaps finance my way out of the debt... though I don't know how I'd find them, since I don't think they even had e-mail back then...

Lamprey, as for the tariffs, I'm attempting to manage what appears to be a very delicate balance. I think if I kept taxes level and the world market unhandled, I'd be sunk. But because I'm doing what I'm doing with the taxes at alternating rates it seems to be working out ever so slowly.

But the tariffs have not only an effect on mil/con as Cornelius mentioned, but I've noticed (unscientifically -- if I weren't too slow at playing already, I'd be taking notes to be sure) that the POPs seem to run out of supplies more quickly if the tariffs are up. Besides, when I come back from the tax holiday the first day of tariffs seems to net about 150+, then the next day is down to 90, and it settles before long down to just 30 or 60 tariff income. To me, that's not worth having to increase the frequency of tax holidays. I've found that if I can leave taxes (for lower class) at 75% w/o tariffs, I can go about 15 days between holidays. Higher taxes or tariffs move that down to about 10 days or less.

btw... Between En Til'Za and Lews Therin, the two of you have hit upon two of my favorite series -- B5 and the Wheel of Time. :)

Rensslaer

Draco Rexus said:
(said while having feet kicked up on desk top, drinking a beer (or three) with Josh).

Only 3? You must have to work tomorrow. ;)

Heck, I'm working now! I can't have to many, I still gotta get some work done, eh?

You gotta love it when the boss likes you and let's you get away with almost murder! :rofl:

March, 1851

Von Kauperke sat near the fireplace, several feet across from the King in the king’s private chambers. “Your Majesty, I have devised a plan which I believe will free us more quickly from our economic doldrums and enable us to pay off our debts at a more rapid rate.” The king, hopeful, eagerly motioned for him to go on.

“The situation of the Schleswig Germans remains unresolved, and I see in this an opportunity for us. The Austrians already seem powerless to solve the plight of the Germans in Danish hands, and if we can quickly resolve the problem once and for all, it will further our claim on the leadership of Germany.”

A hint of skepticism crept into the King’s countenance, but Kauperke went on. “The Danes remain engaged in a bitter war with Austria. They grow tired of an endless war that has proved a stalemate, even with Swedish help.” He paused, then plunged forward. “If Prussia were to make a quick stab into Jutland, free the German peoples there, and embarrass Denmark, we could demand indemnities from their kingdom, and they would be forced to help us pay our debts.” There -- a clear plan, with multiple benefits, succinctly delivered, and imminently logical.

The King was suddenly on his feet, and raged, “You wish for me to approve another foreign adventure, when we still haven’t paid for the last one?!” Wilhelm I, not a small man, towered over von Kauperke, who remained seated. His tone became calmer, but with an edge. “I remember you telling me that invading Austria would solve all our economic problems. That we could easily take charge over the Austrian Germans and gain enough resources in the process to get our economy going. But what you didn’t tell me was that it would take more than two years to complete, that we wouldn’t get half of what we wanted, and that our debt would be doubled in the time it took us!”

Wilhelm had paced to a short distance away, so Kauperke literally and figuratively rose to his own defense. “But our economy is on a sounder footing, aside from the debt, and we achieved most of our aims. Now we have the solution for our debt shortly in our grasp, and all shall be fine. Denmark is not Austria, and her troops are devastated and exhausted in any case.”

“And what of her alliance with Sweden?”

“Sweden is our friend. They have no wish to fight us. If they do become involved, we have the strength on the Baltic coast to keep her small army at bay while we finish Denmark. Once that is done, and we grant a gracious peace, Sweden will have nothing at stake, and she will return to her lair.” His friend, the King, glowered at him. “This is a much easier proposition than the Austrian War. We knew that would be difficult, but it was necessary, so we did it. And so is this necessary.” He finished with a determined sound.

Wilhelm had nothing more to contest. After a few moments, he nodded his head. “Very well... We shall do it. But this had best work as you say. I do not like being told that all our problems will be solved, if only we can go to war.”

Von Kauperke took keen note of the King’s dangerous glare. But, it was done.

(amid the sound of feet dropping from a desktop to the floor and the clatter of overturned beer bottles) Nice update, thanks!

So, the Prussian host is off to war again, this time against the Scandinavians, eh? I sure hope that von Kauperke's plans work the way he pitched them to the Kaiser, other wise I fear we may not see him again in the halls of government, know what I mean? :eek:

Can't wait for next update!

April, 1851

The soldier who stepped from the carriage cut a remarkably handsome and well-built figure, standing tall in riding boots, a plumed hat, and an impeccably crisp blue and white officer’s uniform. This Potsdam Guards colonel was young, for an officer. At twenty, he was impossibly young for a colonel.

While an older, more grizzled officer climbed out of the carriage behind him, Friedrich Wilhelm Nikolaus Karl -- Kronprinz von Preussen -- stood transfixed on the gleaming crystal palace which towered over them. It was a looming facade of steel and glass, and it reached expansively into the distance in either direction from where they stood. This is the future, he thought -- for England as well as for Prussia, if I have anything to say about it.

crystpal.jpg

Similarly dressed, in a blue uniform with considerably more medals, Feldmarschall Erich von Halberstam’s attention was momentarily drawn to the same magnificent sight that held the attention of his young companion. But Halberstam, who now had the honored assignment as the Kronprinz’s personal tutor on matters military and otherwise, gently placed his hand on the young man’s shoulder. “The Prince is waiting, Your Majesty.”

Indeed, the distinguished Prince Albert, husband to the mighty Queen Victoria, stood at rest nearby, in a resplendent red and white uniform, at the end of a red carpet amidst a flock of several of his staff. His face was stolidly stern and composed -- perhaps a bit rebuking -- but the Kronprinz thought certainly he had detected a momentary quirk of the Prince’s mouth. Mayhap he was privately amused at having been upstaged by the architecture. Or perhaps Friedrich was simply transposing what he would have expected of the Prince Albert he remembered from prior years.

Prussia’s relations, not with England, but certainly with the Prince, had turned decidedly cold since the 1847 annexation by Prussia of his home country and birthright, the Principality of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. Surely, that was why the Kronprinz was being received here, rather than at Court.

But upon acquiring the Kronprinz’s rapt and somewhat embarrassed attention, Prince Albert smiled benevolently and addressed him in perfect German. “It is my pleasure, Crown Prince Friedrich, to welcome you to ‘The Great Exhibition of the Works of All Nations.’”

crystpalint.jpg

Their meeting proceeded cordially for a time as Albert led them into the vast enclosure and began to showcase its masterpieces. But soon, the atmosphere warmed, and progressed toward the happily friendly relationship they had maintained before. This was no trucial meeting of adversaries -- it was rather the congress of two kindred spirits who could not be separated by the twelve years’ difference in age, or by the sins of one's father.

The Prince, with always the keenest interest in matters of science and technology, was eager to explain to Friedrich that the enormous structure contained a million square feet of glass plate. And the exquisite samples of all the world’s latest technologies excited them both. There was a scale model of an early exploring ship, a working example of a new design of steam engine, a Jacquard loom, daguerretype photographers, and a couple of men demonstrating their artificial limbs. There was even a bizarre device called a “Tempest Prognosticator” that divined the approach of a thunderstorm by harnessing the animal reactions of jars filled with leeches. And, too, there were the sights and sounds of a world full of diversity and color.

And soon, as always happened between these two, their conversation turned to the English constitution, and to detailed questions of law and politics in what Friedrich regarded as the most advanced government of Europe.

At length, the two men found themselves isolated in a maze of mirrors built to entertain and confuse the most clever of minds. In a moment when the two paused alone, nevertheless seemingly surrounded by a legion of princes in every direction, Friedrich turned to Albert. “I wish to express my most sincere regrets for the rude way in which your family has been treated by mine.”

Prince Albert was struck dumb for a moment, and reasoned through a complicated rush of emotional reactions. Finally, he said, “Thank you. I hope you know that it is not my wish to become estranged from Prussia. And I do appreciate that my family was not completely dispossessed of their rights. It is still my hope that my country will someday be free again.” He turned to Friedrich. “When you are King, one day, I know that you will be a good King. It is my hope that you will then remember my wish, if it has not been granted beforehand.”

“Of course,” Friedrich replied, in a tone that invested his statement with the force of a noble promise. He smiled. “But first you will have to do me the favor of again calling me Fritz.” They laughed, and then they were back at trying to find their way out of their trap.

transept2.jpg
crystalball.bmp
transept.jpg

After several hours of exploration, which hadn’t yet begun to encompass the whole 13,000-booth exhibition, they retired to Albert’s palace. There, Friedrich was presented for the first time to the Empress, Queen Victoria, and they had a pleasant conversation over a 15-course meal. There, the royal son Bertie inquired with interest upon Fritz’ recent military training, and his elder sister Vicky -- very pretty, even at eleven years of age -- asked impertinantly about how much influence Premier von Kauperke had in Fritz’ father’s court.

Later in the evening, Fritz was forced to inform Albert that his visit was being unexpectedly cut short. “Feldmarschall von Halberstam received a courier tonight, with sealed orders. We are to return within three days.” He weighed how to explain. “I trust this news will not leave your immediate family, but it appears we are to have a reckoning with Denmark over Schleswig. I know this must be a sensitive issue for you. I know why we are doing this, but at the same time I wish we were not so often at war.”

Albert considered the floor, gravely. “I understand completely what is at stake in Schleswig, and I sympathize. I do not even, in principle, oppose the growing movement toward German unification, though I wish it were not at the expense of the smaller countries. You must know that the eyes of Europe are growing bitter over the methods Prussia has employed. You risk much each time you take up arms. How I wish your father would act in greater concert with England, as a friend. Our court grows wary of Prussia’s motives.”

“Of that I am completely aware,” Friedrich agreed. “But my counsel is not very welcomed at my father’s table. I am still young. And we are of different worlds.”

Fritz and Albert enjoyed hunting, riding and boating over the next couple of days, and then it was time to go.

At his departure, Kronprinz Friedrich was impressed and amused to see Princess Vicky approach him. Standing straight, and addressing him with an imperial bearing, this young noble expressed, “My mother says that England cannot take an official stand on your government’s actions.” She nodded her head firmly, as if to emphasize, but continued in a different tone, “But, she also says that the German people have every right to be free from heavy-handed Danish rule.” Another significant pause added gravity to this statement, too. “Fritz, please do me the favor of taking this with you to represent my wish for your success, and your safe return.” Young Vicky extended an elegant, lacy kerchief. The Queen and Prince stood nearby, clearly very proud of their precocious princess.

Friedrich leaned close to Vicky with a beaming smile. “Thank you for your kind gift, my princess. I will keep it with me always.” Then he exchanged a glance with Albert and the Queen, thanking them for their kindness. And he joined von Halberstam in the carriage for their important journey.

Well it's certainly one way to deal with debt. Good show.

Rensslaer said:
btw... Between En Til'Za and Lews Therin, the two of you have hit upon two of my favorite series -- B5 and the Wheel of Time. :)

Rensslaer

Finally, someone who gets the reference!!! ;)

Do I sense the rapport between Prussia and Great Britain improving? That would certainly be nicer in the diplomatic sense.

So, since Albert mentioned it, how does the rest of Europe look at Prussia these days?

Draco Rexus said:
Do I sense the rapport between Prussia and Great Britain improving? That would certainly be nicer in the diplomatic sense.

So, since Albert mentioned it, how does the rest of Europe look at Prussia these days?
Well, my Badboy, after Madagascar, China, Peru, Austria, and several German minors... even after some time passing, it's still in the mid-twenties. Which, since I'm not an experienced player, I'm not so sure is horrible, but it looks big. My relations with France, as I recall, are about -195, fictional rapport with Louis Napoleon notwithstanding. Relations with Britain are actually in the -50s.

My effort with this little scene was not so much to show improving relations as to show the personal relationships so common in Europe of this time... which still often failed to prevent wars.

Thank you for watching and reading!

Rensslaer

Ah, you gotta love to differences between personal relationships and governmental relationships, eh?

So, if Prussia's relationship w/Britain isn't all that good and the one with France is pretty much in the trash, who are Prussia's friends?