• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #103 - 1.6 Teaser

16_9.jpg

Hello everyone, happy new year and welcome back to another Victoria 3 development diary, the first of many for 2024. Today is just going to be a very short dev diary with a first look at free update 1.6, which as we mentioned in Dev Diary #102, will be a standalone update (meaning not accompanied by a paid DLC) that is next up on our release schedule.

1.6 is going to be a smaller update that focuses almost entirely on game polish (meaning bug fixes, performance work, UX and AI improvements) and not on adding features to the game, since after the massive slew of changes to the game that was 1.5 we now want to instead focus on smoothing out some of the rougher edges of the game. While we could of course just continue to release hotfixes for 1.5, focusing our efforts into a proper update instead is going to allow us to tackle some things (particularly on the performance and military pathfinding side) that would be too risky to include in a hotfix.

While all this means that you shouldn’t expect much to change on the post-release plans roadmap from 1.6 alone, you can expect some nice new QoL changes, such as the Pop Browser, a new interface inspired by Victoria 2’s Pop Interface, which gives you a comprehensive overview of your country’s population that allows you to more easily identify problems or opportunities, such as pinpointing where exactly those 1 million radicals that keep stirring up trouble are coming from.

The Pop Browser comes with an extensive list of filters to make the selection of Pops you want to look at as broad or narrow as suits your needs
DD103_01.png

The Pop Browser is one of a few other UX improvements coming in the update, but we will elaborate more on the other changes in our next dev diary (in two weeks) - going through the specifics of UI/UX changes in 1.6. See you then!

• 142Like
  • 96Love
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
The button to switch between Area Charts and Pie Charts are there, they are just hidden until you hover over the item (just like all other Area/Pie Charts in the game).

Something I’d like to see that’d be a small thing but nice is for the toggle between Pie and Area Charts to be persistent. It’s a bit annoying to have to toggle it every time.

Reactions:
I know it's a minor thing, but I am a little bit irked by using terminology like "Pop browser". I know you have to use the term "pop" itself to make the text readable, but terms like that take you out of the experience a little bit. It might look better as "Census data" or something.
i am mad you wrote this comment because it would not have bothered me but now i want it to say census data

• 10Haha
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Aaah the sweet memories of my early days in victoria 2.
Spending 10 hours doing the tutorials.
Reading the wiki.
Finally launching a game.
Opening the pop browser and slowly drooling in front of it, lost in a catatonic state somewhere between ecstatic euphoria and a viceral fear approaching megalophobia in the face of the mountain of data you have to tame.

I can't wait to drool again

• 10Haha
  • 2Love
Reactions:
There is a filter for "Is Employed/Unemployed" and one for each Pop Type, which then would only give you the Pops that matches these criteria. That subset will then be visualized in the charts, and is sortable in the spreadsheet. Would that cover your use case?
That would be very helpful!

Another QOL feature I would like is the map views to be able to be locked in. Currently I can select them but they will easily go back to another map view that I don't care about at the moment. Literacy in particular causes the most issues for me. Maybe a right click instead of a left click makes the map view locked in until I unlock it.

• 4Like
Reactions:
@Wizzington

Can you change the name of buildings to industry? Buildings it too micro while industry is more macro for nation-wide industries.

Can you also show if wages have been going up or down and a chart that shows how the # of POPs of a certain occupation have been increasing/decreasing?

• 12Like
Reactions:
I hope that in these UI/UX changes is included a bit of overhaul of notifications (these on lower right of the screen). The fact that they overlap the whatever-is-it-called-on-the-right-where-you-can-pin-stuff is so infuriating I can't play without a mod that moves it a bit to the left.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Can i use this on other countries? I like to look around and see how other countries pops doing.

Edit: I genuinely don't understand why people down voted this. Care to explain?

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
I know it's a minor thing, but I am a little bit irked by using terminology like "Pop browser". I know you have to use the term "pop" itself to make the text readable, but terms like that take you out of the experience a little bit. It might look better as "Census data" or something.
I like that idea.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Any chances that 1.6 will also include further modding tweaks? I'm begging and pleading on my knees for a way to define the ratio between normal units and special units because if it actually exists to be modified somewhere, I sure as hell have not found it.

As for the DD itself:

I love the addition of it but, man, waiting for one week to get this as a DD which is the equivalent of a screenshot from the Ledger Mode made on release and a note stating 'come back in 2 weeks' is a bruh moment. I feel it would of been better to just state the first DD of the year will come in February and actually put something in it or just talk about the philosophy behind SOI (even with no screenshots or concrete information) rather than just this.

• 10Like
Reactions:
More accessible info about POPS can only be a good thing!
Will it make the causes of radicalism more transparent? That would be nice!

• 2Like
Reactions:
A small change but a welcome one. Now when there's an issue I won't have to go around clicking on individual states to find what it is.