Broken Carrier aircraft explanation?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcigar

General
95 Badges
Nov 24, 2020
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • King Arthur II
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
Can someone please explain exactly what Carrier aircraft are broken currently and in what way? I know two of them are broken but I can't remember the details.

Is it Carrier Torpedo Bombers can't defend themselves at all in combat?

And Carrier Fighters can't intercept ground based aircraft?

Edit: Also is Carrier aircraft experience level broken as well?

Last edited:

• 1Like
Reactions:

Still don't understand. What is CV NAV referring to? CV Torpedo Bombers or CV Dive Bombers or both?

Carrier Fighters don't intercept any ground based aircraft at all?

Still don't understand. What is CV NAV referring to? CV Torpedo Bombers or CV Dive Bombers or both?

Carrier Fighters don't intercept any ground based aircraft at all?
Yes Carrier Fighters will only shoot down other carrier based aircraft in naval battles. They will ignore all land based aircraft during a naval battle.

Reactions:
So, to answer your other question:
  • build cheapest possible CV NAV (torpedo and maybe big engine for better agility/escaping fighters). No need fancy modules (range, MG, radio...)
  • build cheap CV fighters (MG and good engine, maybe some protection; no need other fancy modules)
Honeslty, if your Task Force has some AA defense, you can ignore the CV fighters.
Otherwise I'd recommend no more than 1 CV fighter wing for 3 CV NAV wings. Max damage.

At least, one good news: you can replace CV NAVs by CV dive bombers: they work too, despite earlier unsuccesful trials. But note that my 4 CV CAS/dive bombers wings are quite expensive, a CV NAV would still have my preference.

1692606178008.png

1692606187450.png

At least, one good news: you can replace CV NAVs by CV dive bombers: they work too, despite earlier unsuccesful trials. But note that my 4 CV CAS/dive bombers wings are quite expensive, a CV NAV would still have my preference.

View attachment 1014717
View attachment 1014718
This might change with the tech we saw from the summer beta patch thou those diver bombers were way better then normal naval bombers untill you unlocked the second tier of naval torpedos.

But those Ship killer missles that you can unlock are also super good.

This might change with the tech we saw from the summer beta patch thou those diver bombers were way better then normal naval bombers untill you unlocked the second tier of naval torpedos.

But those Ship killer missles that you can unlock are also super good.
Possibly. Let's see if somebody with console wants to find the new meta ;) But I'll stay with my cheap NAV bombers until then.

For the other fleet, create a CV NAV that uses the modern air frame, two jet engines, a defensive cannon turret, a torpedo module in the first slot (to designate it as a CV NAV), and 3x dual Cannon II modules on the wings.

I believe that bug also works with CV CAS as well, so bomb locks don't get around the bug.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I believe that bug also works with CV CAS as well, so bomb locks don't get around the bug.
Which bug are you referring to? The shooting at opposite planes?
Neither CV NAV (=torpedo bombers) nor CV CAS (=dive bombers) can fight back at enemy CV fighters, so no need to add expensive MG.

Reactions:
Which bug are you referring to? The shooting at opposite planes?
Neither CV NAV (=torpedo bombers) nor CV CAS (=dive bombers) can fight back at enemy CV fighters, so no need to add expensive MG.

Right. Better said than mine.

Uh that's bad. Like really bad.
I believe the issue lies in timing: IIRC, CV planes take off like an hour or two later than land air does, which not only means that CV fighters and land-based aircraft do not meet each other in battle, but also makes it impossible for bombers to sortie* from carriers more than once a day in most timezones.

*with intention of killing enemy ships, of course - AFAIK, all carrier planes will sortie 3 times a day to shoot at each other.

Reactions:
I believe the issue lies in timing: IIRC, CV planes take off like an hour or two later than land air does, which not only means that CV fighters and land-based aircraft do not meet each other in battle, but also makes it impossible for bombers to sortie* from carriers more than once a day in most timezones.

*with intention of killing enemy ships, of course - AFAIK, all carrier planes will sortie 3 times a day to shoot at each other.
From what I remember reading, it's the fact that air combat takes place in two phases - first the air engagements/interception is calculated to see how many bombers get through, and then the ground targeting phase, where things (ships included) get bombed. Naval strikes on ships take place in the second phase with bombers targeting ships, after the window for interception has already passed.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain I remember hearing that this is why CV fighters have never done anything outside of naval battles with other fleets.

Edit: More specifically, it's less that naval strike skips the first step and more that carrier fighters don't act on interception during the first phase because they're on a mission with the carrier and will only take off in naval battles between fleets.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Unfortunately it seems the land-naval air mechanics fundamentally don't work well together and need to be completely redesigned and ideally unified into a single system rather than being split in two. There's a lot that could be done with Carrier combat as it is very interesting and was a major part of WW2. See games like Carrier Battles 4 for example. But it seems that it's not even working right at a basic level. This is why the game needs a Custodian Team imo.

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.