Confirmed CV NAVs do not shoot at opposing planes when in carrier combat regardless of air attack values

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Secret Master

Covert Mastermind
96 Badges
Jul 9, 2001
www.youtube.com
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • March of the Eagles
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Limited Collectors Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • The Kings Crusade

Summary​

CV NAVs do not shoot at opposing planes when in carrier combat regardless of air attack values

Platform​

Steam

Operating System​

Windows 10

Game Version​

Avalanche version 1.12.12.456f (a266)

Enabled DLC​

• All of the above

Do you have mods enabled?​

No

Description​

When in carrier combat (that is, when the planes sortie from a carrier and the carrier is in a naval battle), planes designated as CV NAVs due to the presence of a torpedo module will never shoot down opposing CV fighters that attack them regardless of the air attack value on the CV NAVs. This includes the presence of wing mounted air attack modules and defensive turrets. The CV NAVs can have the highest possible air attack in the game, jet engines, the most modern air frame, but in carrier combat, 1940 CV fighters with HMGs will slaughter the CV NAVs and the CV NAVs will never inflict a single loss on the CV fighters.

See this thread for more information:

Steps to Reproduce​

Create two opposing carrier fleets (France and Britain) with equal ships, equal techs (1940 carriers with identical modules) and equal base strike doctrines. For one fleet, create a 1940 CV Fighter with 3x HMG modules. For the other fleet, create a CV NAV that uses the modern air frame, two jet engines, a defensive cannon turret, a torpedo module in the first slot (to designate it as a CV NAV), and 3x dual Cannon II modules on the wings. Fill the first fleet with 1940 CV Fighters and exercise the fleet and wings to max. On the second fleet, fill it with the CV NAVs. Exercise the second fleet and its wings to max.

Use the instantconstruction cheat to build multiple level 6 RADARs on the coast of the English Channel in both Britain and France.

Use the allowdiplo cheat to make France and Britain go to war. Turn off AI.

Order both fleets into the Channel and set them to Engage at High Risk. Don't put admirals on either fleet.

When the fleets fight, note that the CV fighters will shoot down CV NAVs, but not a single CV fighter is ever shot down. You can repeat this test multiple times with the same result.

I've provided a save game with an example of the test I've outlined above.

Note also that CORAX indicated that this should be posted as a bug.

Are you playing on a save from the previous/older version of the game​

No

Upload Attachment​

View attachment CV NAV Test 5.hoi4

• 4Like
Reactions:
Just to clarify the bug, I tested the CV NAVs flying from land bases against the Fulmars, and the CV NAVs did shoot down enemy fighters when set to naval strike from a land base.

1683396357661.png

In this screenshot, you can see that the CV NAVs are bombing ships in the English Channel. They aren't doing a very good job, but they are killing Fulmars while they do it.

This means the CV NAVs not shooting back at fighters is only happening in carrier combats. The planes themselves can shoot back in normal combat. This would seem to indicate that the designer is working properly and regular air combat is working properly. It's something messed up carrier combat code.

Last edited:
@Cuzco24, @Last Shine, @TheGreaterPuppet and @Gladiusneron , I noticed that you are currently doing some QA work. Did you know that you can search the subforum by 'Popular' to find the bugs that are annoying the largest number of players?:

1689679039704.png

The numbers were recently wiped to zero bug by a forum bug, so these are all bugs that players are concerned about in July 2023.

This bug is in joint second place, so I and other players would be grateful if one of you could please assess it during your work today. Thank you in advance!

• 4Like
Reactions:
What about CV CAS (Dive Bombers)? They also bugged?

Also, am I imagining this or is Carrier aircraft experience broken? Doesn't seem to be having any effect on combat results.

What about CV CAS (Dive Bombers)? They also bugged?

Also, am I imagining this or is Carrier aircraft experience broken? Doesn't seem to be having any effect on combat results.
From CV carrier, only CV NAV and CV fighters will automatically fight when involved in naval combat.
Now, you can also base CV dive bombers on a CV carrier, but they will only be used as a normal air wing based on a mobile airfield: you have to manage their orders manually. And of course, they won't be automatically involved in CV TF naval combat.

Reactions:
From CV carrier, only CV NAV and CV fighters will automatically fight when involved in naval combat.
Now, you can also base CV dive bombers on a CV carrier, but they will only be used as a normal air wing based on a mobile airfield: you have to manage their orders manually. And of course, they won't be automatically involved in CV TF naval combat.

Are you serious? Why don't Dive Bombers work in naval combat? That makes no sense. First I've ever heard of this.

Tested another time. This time my CAS engages the enemy TF, but they were quite beefed up.
Last time my design was probably too cheap/had no luck.
Yet, you'll notice very mild damage compared to what much cheaper 4 CV NAV air wings can do.

1692595423571.png

1692595444408.png

Last edited:
Reactions: