• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status update: motherboard and hard drive fried, so will be unable to play from 1439 to 1453.

I will listen to the majority and start another AAR. I will play ironman (Anne Howe, with her iron armor, stark gray ponytail and clothes washed in downey, would not have it any other way) with a random realm.

Needed: Someone to choose start date, either 1081 (if you think I completed game) or 1187 again. Someone to choose ranks, captain/admiral, colonel/general or something else. Someone to be our first flyer (everybody eligible, whether captain or not in Avon). The first flyer needs to give me a focus so that I can better write their character. (Diplomacy like @Bullfilter was written in Avon, military like @diskoerekto, stewardship like @Kazanov, intrigue like @JSB217118, learning like @DensleyBlair).

I cannot promise how we will do as I will play a session then write. I will share three games that lasted less than a dozen years. Two with no major errors and the third had a major gameplay error, but roleplay correct call. I will use six recent commenters and the current author that I am reading (his work will get a shout-out) in place of names that I have forgotten.

1220 (I forget which county but in Russian arctic with Siberian wastes to the east and one or two counties inland from Barents Sea) tribal pagan (probably Nenets Suomenusko). Chief @Black Watch and his young (less than 10) son, @JSB217118 were a two-member dynasty. BW's liege High Chief @Sanvone owns the duchy's other two de jure counties. My game plan was wait for the two counties to split. 1222, @Black Watch dies of severe stress. Mrs. BW says that he had been BeWitched by @Sanvone's wife. (Event where character spies liege's wife and decides that she is his true love. BW got stressed because he was not write a romantic poem). 1224 or 1225, @Sanvone defeats @JSB217118 in a revocation war. GAME OVER JSB complains about Sanvone picking on him when he did not even like the woman. The AAReaders transport JSB and his mother to the Spice Islands.​
1187 Duchy of the Isles (Norwegian vassal). Duke @Bullfilter, Scottish (maybe) Catholic is semi-historical (like Rurik, hard to separate man from legend and whether one or several persons fused together.) Bull and his wife have three sons @diskoerekto, @filcat and @Macavity116 and a daughter @HistoryDude (sorry that you have to play a female). Bull owns one county with a count and a prince-bishop vassal. The youngest son, Mac, has a county in Scotland and does not share the dynasty with his older three siblings (not a bastard, same parents). Disk marries a woman from Sweden, Fil is betrothed to a member of the Swedish royal family and HDudette marries Duke Richard, the English heir. HDudette sends word that King Richard had made her his spymaster. King Richard sends word alliance over, Dudette dead. (I guessed job related, but it was standard suspicious circumstances murder plot.) Fil, the spare, tells dad that he fathered the first grandchild not Disk with Disk's wife and that he wanted to join a holy order to make amends. Duke Bull allows Fil to join Knights of Calatrava (good roleplay, bad gameplay as non-dynastic Mac is now spare). Sept. 1197 @diskoerekto dies of natural causes with @Bullfilter before the end of the year. Non-dynastic @Macavity116 now duke. GAME OVER​
1220 Countess Marguerite (de Blois) of Blois. Marguerite is a granddaughter of King Louis VII and Eleanor of Aquitaine, thus related to the French and English kings. Her liege is Duke Thibault (de Blois) of Champagne. (Marguerite is from daughter #2, while Thibault descends from #1 as the girls married brothers. Thibault would not have inherited in CK as his father died a month before his birth. (I rolled Thibault in a 1206 game.)) Marguerite is 50 and rules two counties and is heir to a third (late 40s childless sister). While this is a promising start, at least 95% time, Marguerite is a one character game as there is no reasonable succession. (A-C primo), Marguerite has three daughters with eldest having children. The eldest daughter is the granddaughter of Frederick Barbarossa and owns three counties in the HRE. (OTL, the oldest has died and #2 is the Countess of Burgundy (in game younger two are full sisters, while in reality it is older two with the youngest succeeding her mother)). None of top six in succession path are from de Blois dynasty. To switch to seniority, France must have medium crown authority (currently none) and after 1228 (Marguerite began reign in 1218). My plan was hope to be awarded at least a county in crusade and switch. Only beneficiary is unmarried female in late 20s.​
Marguerite gets killed en-route to the Egypt crusade. GAME OVER​
SHOUT OUT: Siberian Prosperity by @Sanvone (CK2)

Thank you for reading and volunteering. I would like to have a start year and initial flyer before finishing our two-part chapter on Despot Vukasin after 10 years.

• 7Like
Reactions:
I freakin' love how my rise to power causes a GAME OVER. It is a very Macavity thing to do, according to T.S. Elliot. The "Bafflement of Scotland Yard" strikes one last time! ;)

But on the whole this AAR has been an incredible ride. I really don't wanna say goodbye, but if this does turn out to be the end, then I'm glad I got to share the experience with you all.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Sorry to hear about the computer BBQ! I’m happy with whatever start time and scenario you might choose, but the Duchy of the Isles sounds a bit ‘different’.

• 2Like
Reactions:
This was great!

It's a shame I'm dead in the other game... (and I'm not female, but that's not really relevant for story purposes).

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I freakin' love how my rise to power causes a GAME OVER. It is a very Macavity thing to do, according to T.S. Elliot. The "Bafflement of Scotland Yard" strikes one last time! ;)

But on the whole this AAR has been an incredible ride. I really don't wanna say goodbye, but if this does turn out to be the end, then I'm glad I got to share the experience with you all.
Well, it is Scotland and hopefully your keep has a yard for cats to play. We have seven more real chapters and I have two more interesting quick game synopsizes to post. Also, I said that we take another trip IF I get a volunteer for first pilot (Hint, Nudge).

Thank you for replying.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Sorry to hear about the computer BBQ! I’m happy with whatever start time and scenario you might choose, but the Duchy of the Isles sounds a bit ‘different’.
Thank You. If we get a volunteer, I will go with 1081 and see what the game gives. I love the exploration phase. The Arctic start was brutal and RNG did not help. Countess Marguerite was a fascinating lady and the de Blois dynasty is great. But she is totally unplayable. Her liege, Duke Thibault is super interesting as well. He became King of Navarra, was nicknamed 'the Troubadour' for his composing. He was one of the most successful crusaders as he played the Saracens against each other to get land for KoJ diplomatically. I think that the distant cousin who was the crusade beneficiary actually became Queen-consort of Jerusalem in OTL.

The Isles is a good set-up as you are a duke with two count level vassals. If you can get claims, Ireland, Iceland, Shetland duchy and with a good base Scotland are expansion targets. With Scottish heritage, Tanistry succession is unlocked (I do not know if it can be used while Norwegian vassal). The third son not being of dynasty and in different holding was very weird. But with decent RNG, he should not be an issue. I was excited to ally England, only to have daughter killed as teenager. Darn Plantagenets! (I think and wonder about Jabberjock, every time I see the Plantagenets.) Every character has an interesting tale to tell, even if the gameplay is boring.

• 4Like
Reactions:
This was great!

It's a shame I'm dead in the other game... (and I'm not female, but that's not really relevant for story purposes).
Thank You. I got excited with the England alliance and then for you to be murdered as a teen (no kids, I think only 17). Richard seems to have bad luck. Please do not lose the costume as I have five of twelve in the next two as female. I promise that you have done your turn, but your three 'brothers' could be female rulers.

This one, I forget start date, dynasty and actual county. I rolled a HRE duchy, owning one county on the west bank of the Elbe. The duchy's other county lies across the Elbe in a kinsman's duchy. Duke @Bibliophile leaves the duchy to his underage son, @HistoryDude. Hdude's big sister and heir, @Macavity116 gives him flying lessons.
Duke @HistoryDude flunks flying lessons (I said not a woman, did not say no more suspicious circumstances; this occurred between asking Mac to stop and receiving answer). Grief-stricken Duchess @Macavity116 does not reach twenty or motherhood. Duchess @filcat rules for six decades before a revolt across the Elbe, allows her to reclaim the duchy's second county. Within a week of making the duchy whole, Duchess @filcat dies and her grandson is summoned from Russia. (His father married a Russian duchess who lost everything.) Duke @Bullfilter marries dynastic kinswoman Countess @alscon of Brunn. Bull is a German Orthodox.

The HRE leadership has converted to Sunni and Catholic Bohemia has broken free. Bohemia with Venetian backing declares a holy war for my duchy. I expect one of three outcomes: A) HRE victory or white peace and status quo. B) Bohemia wins, seizes my two-county duchy and game over. C) Bohemia wins, and I become a Bohemian vassal. The outcome was D) Bohemia wins, seizes duchy and I play as Countess @alscon of Brno (she is a Bohemian vassal and Catholic) with landless Count-consort @Bullfilter.

My question for @alscon or anyone is whether this is Dewey Cheatem rule 74, clause B, subsection IV or whether it was a glitch. (On the score screen, the list of rulers starts with @alscon not @Bibliophile.) I actually end game as Greek Orthodox King of Greece.

• 6Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Duchess @filcat rules for six decades before a revolt across the Elbe, allows her to reclaim the duchy's second county. Within a week of making the duchy whole, Duchess @filcat dies
@filcat's impression of players who quit playing a game forever immediately after beating the final boss.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
The HRE leadership has converted to Sunni and Catholic Bohemia has broken free.
Not the strangest thing I've read here, but probably makes it top ten. Wonder which emperor read the Holy part of HRE and decided it applied to Islam.

Also, I don't know exactly what I'd have to do, but in principle I can volunteer for for first pilot. I need more of this absurdist, thrilling alt history!

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It's a shame I'm dead again. I blame @filcat! He was clearly running a devious plot to kill everyone ahead of him in the line of succession! ;);)

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
@filcat's impression of players who quit playing a game forever immediately after beating the final boss.
Thank you, in @filcat's defense, she was in her seventies and had just accomplished her greatest desire, uniting the duchy.
It's a shame I'm dead again. I blame @filcat! He was clearly running a devious plot to kill everyone ahead of him in the line of succession! ;);)

Thank you, someone else who believes the game lies or sometimes we need to interpret for a better story. I have one more of these short game reviews and you will be the last character, so that no one will have killed you.

While @Von Acturus has agreed to be the first pilot in Emerald's next adventure. I would like for both of you to consider being a future pilot.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Not the strangest thing I've read here, but probably makes it top ten. Wonder which emperor read the Holy part of HRE and decided it applied to Islam.

Also, I don't know exactly what I'd have to do, but in principle I can volunteer for for first pilot. I need more of this absurdist, thrilling alt history!
Thank You for replying and welcome to Avon. Big Thank You for volunteering to pilot the C2 WayBack to 1081.

That was actually the second time that I saw HRE go Sunni and both times, it was very unstable. The current Avon game has Sweden with a Miaphysite (coptic) king and the Byzantine Empire with a Catholic basileus. Avon's two craziest things are the Pope converting to Orthodox and England getting overrun by the Victual Brothers (mercenary group). The church exchanged the Papal lands (four counties) in exchange for the Orthodox Pope resigning. The Pope had to reside in a French bishopric (not even a full county) until the HRE reclaimed Rome and gifted it to the Pope. The absolute craziest was the English king and his sister successor both getting murdered young and their toddler imbecile nephew inheriting. Another murder and his father, who was count level in the Golden Horde, inherits and England becomes part of a Messalian Golden Horde. (This one was when my quarter century checks only went five deep instead of the current twenty-one.)

Occasional comments would be great. The two things that I would like from you are: 1) What rank are the pilots during their service and afterwards? (In Avon, it was Captain and Admiral. You receive promotion when the opening leader is replaced.) 2) To make it easier for me to write, which of the five categories (diplomacy, military, stewardship, intrigue, learning) is your focus.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Occasional comments would be great. The two things that I would like from you are: 1) What rank are the pilots during their service and afterwards? (In Avon, it was Captain and Admiral. You receive promotion when the opening leader is replaced.) 2) To make it easier for me to write, which of the five categories (diplomacy, military, stewardship, intrigue, learning) is your focus.

I'll certainly try to keep reading and commenting! For rank, I think we can continue with the one used in Avon, if you think it worked well. For focus, I'd prefer diplomacy. Thanks for the great stories!

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I'll certainly try to keep reading and commenting! For rank, I think we can continue with the one used in Avon, if you think it worked well. For focus, I'd prefer diplomacy. Thanks for the great stories!
Thank you very much. When the new AAR begins, you will be the first Captain and hopefully the first Admiral (otherwise a very short voyage). I will write you as a diplomat. I have been planning to have you on the crew, when we visit Despot Vukasin to celebrate ten years. You may want to observe Capt. @JSB217118 and Adm. @Bullfilter (the diplomatic admiral in Avon).

• 3Like
Reactions:
This is the last of my goof (no notes) games that I am going to relate. By accident, this one recreated history. This was the next roll after the Countess Marguerite of Blois impossible game.

1220 Count @Von Acturus (de Coucy) of Vermandois (1 county in France on border with HRE, will soon be transferred from the king's vassalage to the newly minted Duke of Picardie. The de Coucy family consisted of @Von Acturus, his older sister and young daughter. @Von Acturus commands troops for the duke during the Egyptian crusade. @Von Acturus is severely injured as his troops skirmish not with the Saracens, but rather with an English vassal. (France and England are at war)

With Count @Von Acturus succumbing to his injuries, Vermandois passes to his 8yo daughter, Countess @diskoerekto (sorry, my friend. We need more female commenters or pretend that we are in medieval times and using males to portray female parts in plays.) At 15, @diskoerekto is recognized as 'possessed'. @diskoerekto is not exactly Miss Congeniality as she usually has four or five vices and a diplomacy of -6 (the game has score as zero, but you can hover for details). @diskoerekto leads the Vermandois troops to another crusade and converts to Cathar (I think, could be different heresy). En route, @diskoerekto's troops are ambushed by the Kingdom of Castille (Castille/France war to oust @diskoerekto's excommunicated brother-in-law as King of Castille). @diskoerekto is captured by her brother-in-law.

With Countess @diskoerekto perishing in her sister-in-law's dungeon; Vermandois passes to her 8yo son, Count @Macavity116. At 15, @Macavity116 reveals that like his mother, he is hearing voices (possessed). Picardie's Duke appoints @Macavity116 Picardie's Marshal. Cathar HRE declares a holy war for the Duchy of Flanders against France. Instead of having @Macavity116 doing something useful, Picardie's Duke has @Macavity116 commanding a retinue. For some unknown reason, the HRE sends a huge army against the Picardie retinue.

With Count @Macavity116 perishing with his men, Vermandois passes to his son, Count @Bullfilter. (I am shocked to get non-dynastic heir message. @Bullfilter's heir is not his sister, but rather his mother, the Duchess, who is currently in the French King's dungeon for participating in a revolt.) Eventually, the Duchess dies in the French dungeon and Count @Bullfilter of Vermandois becomes Duke @Bullfilter of Normandy. While trying to snipe a county from Picardie, after defeating a major Picardie force, @Bullfilter dies in battle with a small Picardie remnant.

Since Duke @Bullfilter only had a bastard son, Normandy passes to his sister, Queen-consort @coz1 of England, Duchess of Normandy. (She may not be Fancy, but she is a French Queen-consort of England.) Note: on both @Macavity116's marriage to the Normandy duchess and @coz1's to the English king, I just went with the top option when I pressed the marriage button on their sixteenth birthday. The duchess was still a child and you can sometimes marry up with child rulers. The king was unlanded, a child and in a minor court when the matrilineal marriage was proposed. They actually lived in Vermandois for several years before he inherited the English throne. She completed @Bullfilter's land grab a year and one day after @Bullfilter's death. While sniping another county, @coz1 dies in a battlefield duel.

With Queen-consort @coz1's death, Normandy passes to her son, Duke @Bibliophile of Normandy. (Again, non-dynastic heir; this time @Bibliophile's father, the King of England.) Unlike uncle @Bullfilter, Duke @Bibliophile does produce an heir. When the 70something king passes, 50something Duke @Bibliophile becomes King @Bibliophile of England. Take that William the Bastard. @Bibliophile's father descends from a bastard son of King Henry II.

When King @Bibliophile passes to natural causes, England passes to his son King @HistoryDude of England. May King @HistoryDude have a long and glorious reign. I have this game in my save file as this was the last game that I played, if anyone has any requests for added information, I will check and hopefully get the info that you request.

Shout-out: The Wars of the Roses by @coz1 (EU4). I think that my next comment will have @coz1 banning me from reading. It is an excellent narrative of York's revolt against the king.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
@diskoerekto is not exactly Miss Congeniality as she usually has four or five vices and a diplomacy of -6... At 15, @Macavity116 reveals that like his mother, he is hearing voices (possessed)... Instead of having @Macavity116 doing something useful, Picardie's Duke has @Macavity116 commanding a retinue. For some unknown reason, the HRE sends a huge army against the Picardie retinue.
The two of us must have done something utterly insane to aggro the HRE that badly. But with a Diplomacy score in the negatives, I'll bet the HRE's relationship with Cloud Cuckooland will be on the up and up from here on out! :D ;)

• 2Like
Reactions:
@Von Acturus is severely injured as his troops skirmish not with the Saracens, but rather with an English vassal.

Ah of course! As any self respecting frenchman I have to make sure to dispose of those pesky english before anything else. Though maybe I should'nt have gone to war while having an eight year old schizophrenic heir.

• 2Like
Reactions:
With Queen-consort @coz1's death, Normandy passes to her son, Duke @Bibliophile of Normandy. (Again, non-dynastic heir; this time @Bibliophile's father, the King of England.) Unlike uncle @Bullfilter, Duke @Bibliophile does produce an heir. When the 70something king passes, 50something Duke @Bibliophile becomes King @Bibliophile of England. Take that William the Bastard. @Bibliophile's father descends from a bastard son of King Henry II.
I became the King of England? And here I thought that mayor of Baghdad would be the height of my political career.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I'm happy to be sister to Bullfilter even if my own reign was not glorious (short and ultimately unsatisfying.) Yet I would never ban a comment. That would be gauche. ;)

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions: