• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #4 — Realms and the Pantheon

Hello everyone, I'm Thomas Schuiten, a designer at Triumph Studios. Today in this dev diary I will give you some insight into the many Realms you can explore, and the Magehaven from which you do so.

The fourth Age of Wonders brings the return of the Wizard kings, but more than that, with the barriers between worlds torn open, many Realms are now within reach.

This new freedom calls for a different approach to Scenarios and maps than Age of Wonders has known in the past, and it's an excellent fit to build upon the lessons of Planetfall’s Empire Mode.

6iutlrQAWobTQeH0TIoE7JR3SPX9vvEueALPT5w_nsVeSAaT7icXZ17HYgAc7BbCgkGFkklr-v1j7RGp8ppaM43KH6rkS7dBE6CpNnaMeaVOhOxUdddgbt_AMKJxBH7pFn5TPudmQ_3G1C_XUsNVusU

In this age you will form a Pantheon of god-like characters through your conquests. A Ruler may ascend to the Pantheon by conquering a Realm, from where they may join future conquests, or oppose them…

LMZApv52jU7eZSKZm5ywf4KRBIOfYkOYcTArQ_g6riKJv5jRiT6FbYc7xSdmQxFZopii7szQbkJAg_nfyCQbjmQ54iXYmVe6JCT4fCZfSVwdhXr2uqyguZQfXpyXhQcYGO25f4o3vnrNLXjmJe_Srw0

There will be more info on the Pantheon further down, but first we must choose a Realm to conquer.

Realms

xH6A5g4RAwsYLVGDpy_4c8M8HViBm8fKZ9yziYwRLctHo3trfTqkYfImfetiVVAFIwZkDXm5HTX_GO5nUwocALs0jANQUTcLaKyVZhjGtOOcxKc5LfN5I-rhVsXP7QZmMSkNfqxYEEk730gSZ-KpSWs
There are 3 kinds of Realm to choose from:
  • Story Realms, with custom lore and story content that tells the story of the Fourth Age of Wonders and the return of the Godir,​
  • Challenge Realms, where an interesting set of traits is gathered together to give a unique Realm to be explored and conquered.​
  • Custom Realms, these are your own creations, making a custom Realm lets you pick Traits as you see fit to make something unexpected.​

Each Realm is made up of various Realm Traits, these are divided into 5 types based on which aspect of the Realm they affect; Geography, Clime, Inhabitant, Presence and Miscellaneous (further referred to as Misc).
Each realm can feature 1 of each of these (except for Misc traits, of which a realm can have 4)

Geography Traits determine the shape of the world and can have a huge impact. This is where you find “Continents” and “Islands” map types, but also a few unique twists such as “Lava Divide” where the realm is roughly split in two by an ocean of impassable lava (only connected through the underground)
fXcD0MZxPPFADWBRkwpEMcrWwJUfSk88hnacGTlm1Mhk3mhYH0KGfGqobu-j958cJnRtqnNrlTH-d4o4RvBbf3BabPzccfO-_xbiNihgq7bOwVA-btgEoQoOFyZqdX6JKjEIiQz4A4rEohyHZu7LhxA

Clime Traits are next, and they modify the environment of the realm, making certain climes more or less likely to appear.If you want a desert realm or a frozen wasteland this is where you can find it. (Or if you want some real chaos you can choose Forming Realm and watch the world form around you as you build your empire)

LbxKVEpvwRcAMkYjFt-1H5P2VE-ET5m5v-ylfoFDyk1nueIGjVPARPYyFhSgW1a3HuH_VnQ73VRer0bsUID1gIeT1uR-6xhIjUfM_pnSoGlJnvjXMe_-LnPUQ_PrR-SIz-wuXqPk_1-Ih14wX6YrKYg

Inhabitant Traits affect the prevalence of particular creature types on that Realm as well as certain structures, perhaps left behind by the Realm’s previous inhabitants. This is where you can make the Realm dominated by undead creatures, or have enormous beasts stalking the wilderness.
WZI3kox5KbkBWX_O-05e6f5s7hR4au9jW26L_D0z-Yqe0VpRhfq9t6WnUU28GNwLhL8P4NE-mC6p5qncrvgIo4wXrs8MOAulgM9NA7DI1Popn4KxM8dCOTTT3pMK3neeAhi0rP7zVMGW3XCVRvSaRZ8

Presence Traits add Empires to the realm that have special starting conditions and provide a unique challenge, for example the Pretender kings adds 3 kings with substantial kingdoms in the midst of a succession war.
gGxaYYMXN48ODXXGDsTxbmki3zhz_2hXBjKNKWi9mt3jTUwrr6EbP79v26DK_pnWGQcfDnCVPl1A5E6EqGGfZyRjMjXb9pUmoHOYTRh9iesg3IN-LTO7JKmOaVsyjQmb9TTlrd9uVURpq7FIYIRfoqM

Lastly there’s Misc Traits, these modify the rules of the game, or otherwise modify the realm in a manner that can be mixed and matched with any other trait. Want to make a realm where Free Cities are less common, leaving ruins instead to mark valuable locations? The Ruined Realm trait will do that.

rgY7-dNFOQizjHaGuN_69ZAfhjnhyZG_7F4mF7_GwJRfHfBm3k_6Q-7MGgHhscqP6Ab7c5jj6C9tsP794-a7P3-go30RHfm73IDvCFOGVcL-k8DxAgVbwvvLC1nf_QQ0aaZqMPbzKO1gokfmbKFVkKg

When you’ve obtained some experience in the game, misc traits are where you find interesting twists to change up your play through, like with for example the Megacities trait.

VuF8kVRHObH0PaEVdiMdfw3I0pDacyZBY3ibSYGazEU2pYatvmOL2F7OSOTYMPU1nZSzZHRXMFpOXzzrzlyA9KSuyO1EmQRep1kudAzjd7wtUuYcPDNT0pAjo7789fnkxmkg7rE4BxVP4OmVD3Nm2ag

Your Pantheon

The Pantheon is where you collect your Ascended rulers, each ruler you complete a Realm with may ascend to your Pantheon, from where they may aid or hinder future conquests. It is also where you spend the Points you’ve earned with your Pantheon XP to unlock new customization options for your leaders!

FvSDNAkYqMgjVMc5J3dsS4D0OTWpK9Pqrjih5MHENeJWrPQtZIHZn-Jfm-UVowJ-nd6vh5-UPC471JOQOv24wi7yneVzoCN6_7j6JG0Wg06DWcjSy1qEIf3pqkLWNb99o4QizYIKsDMVPfwc7ampN_8

During your conquests you gain Pantheon XP for completing certain actions, clearing infestations, conquering cities, defeating players and gaining vassals are just some examples. Completing a Realm through victory, defeat or by abandoning it adds this XP to your Pantheon and gives you Points with which to unlock new items in the Pantheon tree.
RPSX4qd_bq7pj00q1gjWbS9xI-LUS6ayKTKYZ_WmQK3sZI3e0M2EDjxuYMf3Jdau7TqGf_vixKs3Rw-TQXN9IiUZtvqImj8PpDFG3uZh7Ev3mIM8SNRGZRMR7Q2XUDv2eIaMp66wVqNUbhBMUgcGHx8

__VSgh7K4lTv_EmlaUnLk6f-FOJYBJWX7IDWoGoAN1gsaHaXqWDQ8-MNI2JCwU8R7xFWiiQGTgIdadeeQISAMuwGF9cjVir2aBwi14QpL-4q1Hf3WfS-X_UOXBEgf3S47WwdkSqOcBrMKfaqq_AlfOQ
These include hats and cloaks as seen above, but also Leader origins and society traits that will add new options to your empire creation.

As you gain Pantheon XP you will also unlock new Realms to explore, each bringing a unique Presence trait to the table that you may then use in your own custom realms as well.

hFRuFuTxBepN1_ZbkkaSS0wW4hera_RakNCIbMv9XxtUvZ7-e3tz8xZR_TXTLOGF5JbCIq6pqbIJ1TDrbGRzUExjEAjhnrg9P_9zNqjutMscx0-qIigB6zjR97mW_qLM0ZOmpTO_LLr8OCFhWqby48Y

UEB8ScvLYOvA9eBw2uC7fqY9PKTsTUDHT9ZFnzAPLrsdMbXSbNdWa4dym7uAXH1Sr81cYxxEKV1zrfrYxCsafgIweDRKmg8xyKb7AJL0tEw7t9-c4D2x4wf5UnN-KcGYZOwsxx9bUenUqqIcLNgiqkI
I hope you enjoyed this introduction to the Realm and Pantheon system, there is much to be explored and experimented with. I look forward to seeing the Realms that you create and reading the stories of your conquests!

Stay tuned for a new dev diary next week as we are going to talk about Factions creation. Also, consider adding the game to the Wishlist!

• 75Like
  • 41Love
Reactions:
Then the question is will main story mod give you end game rewards?

And can you jump between story mode and regular mod, will too many unlockable making story mode easier?

Ok, so everything up until this point has seemed decent to very good. I've really liked some things (tomes), but am a bit apprehensive about others (forms + cultures so far seeming like it might be less varied than race + class). This, however, just seems amazing.
A tight yet complex system like this for map variation and meta progression is the sort of interesting innovation/iteration that makes a sequel really worthwhile. Can't wait to try it out :)

Reactions:
This looks amazing and I'm so excited. Three questions from me. Does the pantheon mode include relics like in age of Wonders planetfall? Does it also enable the ability to unlock units/mods/doctrines like the requisition in Planetfall as well? Lastly, does the pantheon xp *only* provide cosmetic rewards/traits or does it also include mechanical benefits such as more tech, special units, etc.

This looks cool, but can we also just play like a random map with no pantheon and just setup a game with custom leaders, teams (can we even make teams in AOW IV?), etc like in Age of Wonders III, or is AOW IV's single player experience completely tied to only pantheon? I am not familiar with the empire mode in Planetfall because I have very limited time in it, and the time that I spent in Planetfall, I've just played random maps. Will AOW IV work similar to how Planetfall is in this aspect? One mode for just random maps and one mode for empire/pantheon?
There's no real Pantheon Mode in AoW4, it is woven throughout the entire game. Whether you're playing a Story Realm, Multiplayer or a Custom Realm. You gain XP for the actions you take during a game which allows you to progress in the Pantheon.

When setting up a Custom Realm you can choose any of the traits, or leave them empty for a default Realm, and in the Advanced Settings you can set whether Random Rulers are chosen from the Pre-Made Rulers, your own Custom Rulers or even randomly Generated but you can also manually assign every slot a Ruler. The Advanced Settings still exist as they have in the past, it's just that the Realm Generation is now handled through Realm Traits.

Me encantó el diario de esta semana, pero saber que la próxima semana se centrará en la creación de facciones me emociona por lo que tendremos la próxima semana.
Yes, next week will be very interesting. I do want to remind you that this is an English forum and all post should be made in English.

• 10Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
How customizable will the behaviour of other members pantheon be?
Planetfall introduced AI characteristics but they were randomized outside of the campaign and some Empire presets.

I. e. will I be able to say that a character will be a warmonger every time I encounter him?
Or tell him to be more likely to go towards a path that will make him summoning demons/turning his units into demons?

It would be really great if we could make our own "presets" for our ascended characters - so that they have a consistant personality.

I really liked Empire Mode and the things I read about here so far, I am just curious "how far" this customization goes - if present in the first place.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There's no real Pantheon Mode in AoW4, it is woven throughout the entire game. Whether you're playing a Story Realm, Multiplayer or a Custom Realm. You gain XP for the actions you take during a game which allows you to progress in the Pantheon.

When setting up a Custom Realm you can choose any of the traits, or leave them empty for a default Realm, and in the Advanced Settings you can set whether Random Rulers are chosen from the Pre-Made Rulers, your own Custom Rulers or even randomly Generated but you can also manually assign every slot a Ruler. The Advanced Settings still exist as they have in the past, it's just that the Realm Generation is now handled through Realm Traits.

Thanks for the information, Jordi. I'm glad the advanced setting are still a thing. The one thing that is super important to me is that we can assign ourself an AI ally (teams) right from the start of the game just like in AOW III and Planetfall.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Out of curiosity, I just went into Empire mode in Planetfall to see the setup, and appears we cannot make teams in it. Just to confirm, in AOW IV's Pantheon, are we able to assign teams to the ruler slots in the advanced settings?

I like the realm options but I gotta ask, will there be a "random realm" option?

I tend to avoid premade and custom stuff because I know what to expect. I would however like to load into a realm and be completely surprised.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Nice.
I still play planetfall, in empire mode; but I had to adjust some points by modding the game.
Glad to learn that this mode is planned from the beginning in AoW4, and that you uses lessons from this PF game mode.

Are we gonna get a inner sea (mediterraneum or baltic like) type of realm type? i was thinking all land but a big round sea in the middle
i always felt that AOW needed that beacose you have optional naval warfare than can pay off or be completely ignores, giving a lot of interesting strategic choices, probably add a Powerfull dungeon right in the middle with a big island

• 3Like
Reactions:
I would however like to load into a realm and be completely surprised.
So perhaps an "unknown trait" to be chosen,
or a rule that can randomly (depending on game difficulty ?) add or modify some realm traits ?
or some event that can modify a realm trait during the game ? (example : climat change ?)

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
So perhaps an "unknown trait" to be chosen,
or a rule that can randomly (depending on game difficulty ?) add or modify some realm traits ?
or some event that can modify a realm trait during the game ? (example : climat change ?)
It doesn't have to change during the game, just an option that randomly picks some of the options during creation.

These include hats and cloaks as seen above, but also Leader origins and society traits that will add new options to your empire creation.
Hmmm... ok... so, there are no unlockable cultures. But there are unlockable society traits and origins...

When you say origins... do you mean Champion, Wizard King, and (Unlockable)? Just making sure I know how to read...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hmmm... ok... so, there are no unlockable cultures. But there are unlockable society traits and origins...

When you say origins... do you mean Champion, Wizard King, and (Unlockable)? Just making sure I know how to read...
Im guessing it means Hero origins/traits i.e veteran, diplomatic, cruel (from planetfall)

Question about Custom Realms - will there be options in multiplayer for each player to have a say in the Realm's traits, or will it all be host controlled?

A 'drafting phase' of realm traits would add a really interesting meta layer to the game

• 2Like
Reactions:
Everything i have seen so far looks amazing. The freedom in creating race/culture/affinity combinations plus a custom campaign builder like the pantheon system is taking AOW to the next level imo.

How i understand it everything including the story campaign (story realm) is part of the pantheon. Sound amazing!

What i love about the empire mode in PF is that you can unlock almost any unit/doctrine/mod and choose 3 of each to be available on a planet.
Its so much fun to have your favorite faction unit by your side, finding new synergies outside of your race/secret tech or even preparing in advance for a specific challange on a planet.
Is something like this part of the pantheon system?

Also as a modder i am burning for intel on the modding tools/system. Will it be like or similar to PF? Any major changes or improvements?

• 1Like
Reactions: