• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #278 / Stellaris Dog Diary #1 - Release the Hounds

Hi everyone!

Short dev diary today - the team is hard at work putting together a patch for a selection of what we deemed the more critical issues that have come up in 3.6.0, tentatively scheduled for next week.

Among a few other things we're looking at, we're currently investigating the launcher issue that falsely flags all DLC as corrupted, have a few crash fixes ready, and several ship sizes that lacked role definitions (such as Menacing ships) will now have them. As a little quality of life balance change, I also snuck in a speed increase to Juggernauts, making them move at the same max speed as Battleships and Titans.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the stability and quality of the release, which is a positive argument for future open betas in the same style. Thanks for all of your help making this a solid release.

Wondering what is in 3.6 "Orion"? Here's a summary of what's in the 3.6 Update on the Stellaris YouTube channel:

Since I'm not quite ready to talk about what's in Canis Minor yet, here are some puppy pictures to act as a clever distraction.

Dog!

Sleepy dog.

See you next week!

EDIT:
We have become aware of a crash on startup, that we're currently looking at fixing in 3.6.1. If some of you are experiencing crashing on-startup, and have an empire with a field (empire name, adjective, leader name, etc) that contains special characters (eg. <>$[]), this will cause a crash on-loading the game. We have prepared a list of workarounds to fix this issue, organized by level of difficulty, with 1 being the easiest and 4 being the most involved:

1. Rename or remove the user directory. The user directory is typically located at "C:/username/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/" on Windows, "~/.local/share/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/" on GNU/Linux and "/Users/username/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/" on Mac OS X. WARNING: This will clear any settings, saves and user empires you may have changed/created.
2. Rename or remove the user_empire_designs_v3.4.txt in the user directory. WARNING: This will clear any user empires you may have created.
3. Edit the user_empire_designs_v3.4.txt file in the user directory to have no fields like names, adjectives etc. that includes <>$[].
4. Edit any field containing any of <>$[] characters from name="We love blorg <3" or
Code:
name={
    key="We love blorg <3"
}
to
Code:
name={
    key="We love blorg <3"
    literal=yes
}

Attachments

• tofu_01.png
    tofu_01.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
  • 54Love
  • 51Like
  • 4Haha
Reactions:
Puppy the new Overlord of Stellaris.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
The only thing I'm sad about Orion is the fact that Titans still have no additional options for ship sections. If thats not added in an update like Orion, probably will never be added. But its not a big thing, ofc.

• 2Like
Reactions:
<Sees that DD has almost no new or useful info>
<Think about writing some irritated post>
<Sees cute pupper>
<GenerateToxicPost.exe failed to launch>

• 32Haha
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Nice, but how the heck can something like "not all ships have roles assigned" slip by the QA process?
Because they dont need to check, devs are more focused on development, since the testing can be done in the openbeta by the players for free. Also the beta changed day by day, and you cant blame them for not trying every single function. Its a dlc content, sure they could have noticed it before, but i dont remember any player report this big in the first few days...10k+ players vs merely 100 (i took these numbers from my cheeks, but still you get the point)

• 5Like
Reactions:
As for Juggernauts: previously, when you set your fleet(s) to follow the Juggernaut (because it was usually the slowest ship), and it entered another system, the fleet(s) would refuse to follow.
Has that also been fixed in 3.6?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Hi everyone!

Short dev diary today - the team is hard at work putting together a patch for a selection of what we deemed the more critical issues that have come up in 3.6.0, tentatively scheduled for next week.

Among a few other things we're looking at, we're currently investigating the launcher issue that falsely flags all DLC as corrupted, have a few crash fixes ready, and several ship sizes that lacked role definitions (such as Menacing ships) will now have them. As a little quality of life balance change, I also snuck in a speed increase to Juggernauts, making them move at the same max speed as Battleships and Titans.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the stability and quality of the release, which is a positive argument for future open betas in the same style. Thanks for all of your help making this a solid release.

Wondering what is in 3.6 "Orion"? Here's a summary of what's in the 3.6 Update on the Stellaris YouTube channel:

Since I'm not quite ready to talk about what's in Canis Minor yet, here are some puppy pictures to act as a clever distraction.

See you next week!

EDIT:
We have become aware of a crash on startup, that we're currently looking at fixing in 3.6.1. If some of you are experiencing crashing on-startup, and have an empire with a field (empire name, adjective, leader name, etc) that contains special characters (eg. <>$[]), this will cause a crash on-loading the game. We have prepared a list of workarounds to fix this issue, organized by level of difficulty, with 1 being the easiest and 4 being the most involved:

1. Rename or remove the user directory. The user directory is typically located at "C:/username/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/" on Windows, "~/.local/share/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/" on GNU/Linux and "/Users/username/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/" on Mac OS X. WARNING: This will clear any settings, saves and user empires you may have changed/created.
2. Rename or remove the user_empire_designs_v3.4.txt in the user directory. WARNING: This will clear any user empires you may have created.
3. Edit the user_empire_designs_v3.4.txt file in the user directory to have no fields like names, adjectives etc. that includes <>$[].
4. Edit any field containing any of <>$[] characters from name="We love blorg <3" or
Code:
name={
    key="We love blorg <3"
}
to
Code:
name={
    key="We love blorg <3"
    literal=yes
}
I'm a cat person, but I for one, will pledge secret fealty to our new canine overlord

• 3Like
Reactions:
is it planned to fix the issue with administrative buildings not upgrading, even though automatic planetary management is activated in 3.6.1? Or is this too difficult to fix in the short term?

Great news about the Juggernaut. That speed issue was preventing me to use it for anything else but against the crisis.
There recently seemed to appear an issue with the sky dragon being killable by 2230 just with defense stations, because of it staying at max range unable to use most of its weapons. I can imagine this making all leviathans in general easier to kill from range. Will we see some balancing? Sorry for all the questions. I feel like asking holes into a swiss cheese. But I am really curious.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: