• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #66 - Patch 1.1 (part 2)

16_9.jpg

Greetings my fellow Victorians, Paul here to talk about some of the things I have been doing for Patch 1.1.

As was said in previous dev diaries, this patch (1.1) is going to primarily focus on game polish: bug fixing, balancing, AI improvements and UI/UX work, while the next major free patch (1.2) is going to be more focused towards making progress on the plans we’ve outlined in our Post-Release Plans DD by iterating on systems like warfare and diplomacy. Hotfix (1.0.6) should be out for you all with performance improvements and some bug fixes in the meantime.

So what have I been doing? Balance work, alongside bug fixing, and assisting with some UI work and bettering of the player experience. I’m new to the design team and during my onboarding I've been able to utilize one of my special talents: I love spreadsheets and data - so I’ve been working on building profitability, production methods, and resource availability. In Patch 1.1 two large changes I have made are to Oil and Rubber and I’ve got some cool resource maps to show you the changes.

And before you take a look at the images showcasing what changes I have done, a big shoutout to @Licarious who made the tool that I am utilizing here today. This tool is open for you all on the forum in this thread. I have found the tool to be particularly lovely, helping me make quick visualizations of the changes I am considering in the game. It's one thing to balance a spreadsheet but another to take a look at the changes proposed on the map itself.

The World’s discoverable Oil Supply as of 1.0.6
image1.png

In the version of the game you are all currently playing, these are the oil reserves that are discoverable in game. They are mostly the historical oil fields that were cultivated over the current knowledge of where Oil is and has been accessible (even if we did not find out about it until later than 1936). As you’ve no doubt noticed in your later games, Oil is a scarce resource and limits the progress of later game industrialization. While we want Oil to be an important late-game resource, its current bottleneck as an available resource is a little too harsh to the player’s experience so we’ve expanded the discoverable oil fields in game.

I spent a few days going through various feedback threads on the Discord and forums, alongside as many natural resource distribution maps as I could to give a better estimate of the world’s oil supply and help make the game representative of that. As of now we’ve doubled the world’s potential oil fields to give rise to a more plentiful supply in the world by both player and AI actions.

The World’s discoverable Oil Supply as of 1.1.0
image2.png

I know some of you might be asking, why did we not just increase the production of oil methods and leave the historical oil fields in place? Why have you included [specific] oil fields that were not tapped until ~1950! etc.Those fields represent a usage of either Oil Sands, or some various substrate that would have not been accessible at the time.

These are all some valid questions and I will no doubt go into more detail in the thread about choices made, but some quick answers.
  • Oil production methods are already incredibly profitable and buffing them further would help but probably not fully solve the problem.
  • The gating of Oil Fields to only historically extracted areas is always tricky, if Russia and the United States collapse in game, 50%+ of the world's oil supply is locked behind their regression and the world suffers. We want to have historical credibility but also give players multiple avenues to pursue.
  • We don’t exactly leave a track record of “this field would have been accessible in 1880" etc in our history books when we discover new resources, so best guesstimates have to be used and a balance between historical and semi-balanced gameplay has to be found.

We are by no means done with Oil, this is my first step in their balancing and it's been sent off to QA to run tests and gather feedback. I’ve got plenty of possibilities to look into but I want to make iterative changes instead of altering many things at once and not seeing the full impact.

Things I am looking into for the future includes
  • Gating some oil reserve potential behind tech to make it where deposits that were not found until more modern days are harder for the player to get to, but still possible.
  • If Oil Supply is still too short - looking into adding more variation of production methods of balancing of input/output of those factories.
  • Giving the Whale Oil Industry a bit more of a kick into gear in the early stages of the game.

So keep your feedback on the forums/Discord coming! I might not read and answer them right away but I do collate them for future reference and they’ve been incredibly helpful in my efforts.

And now onto the world’s rubber supply, which I have also adjusted for Patch 1.1.

The World’s discoverable Rubber Supply as of 1.0.6
image3.png

While not as much of a bottleneck as the world oil supply, rubber is found to not be plentiful enough to meet world demand at current. And as we make the AI better at extracting and utilizing resources in game, we no doubt have to increase the rubber supply available to the world.

And so here are the changes.

The World’s discoverable Rubber Supply as of 1.1.0
image3.png

Notice the differences? Your eyes aren’t deceiving you, the two maps are the same - and this is not a mistake. The changes to Rubber have been focused on its vertical margins as opposed to the horizontal margins. While I could have upped the world supply of rubber, looking at the later game saves I found it was population issues which were preventing the resource from meeting demands, etc.

So, what I did instead was add a new PM to Rubber Plantations, giving them an automatic irrigation system (like that of the other Plantations this building shares relation to in name only) to symbolize later efforts to modernize plantations and not be fully rainfall dependent. This would help increase the productivity of buildings already in game.

Rubber Plantations can now double their effective output in the later game, by replacing some employees with machines.
image4.png

Items I am looking into for the future include:
  • Adding more Rubber potential to the world if this PM is not enough
  • Potential synthetic rubber in the late game?
  • State traits for the specific areas of the world best suited to its cultivation to help throughput

These two resource changes have been put into 1.1 among other things and are currently being vetted for balance and functionality by the QA team. I look forward to hearing your thoughts as well but remember that all numbers are currently WIP. If you have thoughts and opinions and can find me a source backing up your claims, please feel free to put them in the thread or on Discord/forums where then can continue to be collated for me.

What am I doing while this is being vetted? Why I am breaking ground into future balance changes in 1.2! As stated elsewhere on these forums, I am looking into the arable land balance of the game making changes to them. Since these changes have the potential to upend the world economy, I’m getting this branch settled early so we have as much time on our end to iterate on its balance. I will also take feedback from players upon 1.1s upcoming release, then look into tweaking other resources’ balance and such. There are always a few things to tweak!

And that’s it for this dev diary, with this little peek behind the curtain of work being done I am now going to return to it and read through the QA feedback. Then do some further balancing as needed and my work for Patch 1.2.

Patch 1.1 is planned to release before the end of the year and it's already November so it's not that far away in the grand scheme of things. Next week we will talk about some more of the changes in that patch.

• 192Like
  • 42Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Is easier to implement a production method that only make explosives and no fertilizes.

I understand the logic on furniture+luxury furniture and textile+luxury textile. If you run 30 factories of cloth some will have more quality than others.

But i cannot substitute explosives with fertilizier or glass with chinaware. Let me change the production method so i only make what is demanded.

Reactions:
Things I am looking into for the future includes
  • Gating some oil reserve potential behind tech to make it where deposits that were not found until more modern days are harder for the player to get to, but still possible.
  • If Oil Supply is still too short - looking into adding more variation of production methods of balancing of input/output of those factories.
  • Giving the Whale Oil Industry a bit more of a kick into gear in the early stages of the game.
Palm oil.

Palm oil was a major industrial lubricant and was a highly demanded import for the British during this time period. To the point that it was the major export of many West African nations.

If you want to expand more sources of oil in the game, it makes more sense then adding more whaling.

Reactions:
See, this is why I love the community. My searches missed this. I will add it to the backlog of sources.
Then I would like to point out the first Hungarian oil extraction in 1937 done by Americans. See this university paper that tells you about everthing important related the Hungarian oil industry (watch out, clicking on the link downloads 296 kb).

Here's another article about this oil field and it's situation during WW2.

Fun fact that this oil production wasn't great, most of the oil was wasted until pipes were built - one of the smaller oil refineries were built on my birth village. Thus Americans during WW2 bombed us and I was always fascinated by bomb craters nearby.

Reactions:
Its been thought about - but making a state trait for that is kinda screaming "here be oil" when the resource has not yet been discovered.
Why would that be a problem? Most of us already know that Texas had oil, we don't need that "here be oil" for this. That's the drawback of historical games, if you have some knowledge, you probably know what to do to become the winner of the game's time period.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I wish there was a way to substitute Opium in the game.
The amount I need is always way higher than the one I get.

Reactions:
Why is rubber even a resource like coal, gold or oil? It grows on the ground, on plantations in certain regions around the equator (See your own map) like many other plants. The plant comes from Brazil, was stolen by the Brits and planted in their asian colonies in industrial scale to match the big demand they had. There is actually a very interesting story behind the cultivation of the rubber plants.

Let the game discover places where it can be grown, but just use the regular arable land if you do not have any special event or journal entry in place currently.
actually it was the french that stole it

I finished my Ottoman/Turkey run. I had after around 1900 big problem with factories who have double output on goods.

Textile : 9K surplus cloth, 6k shortage Luxury.
Furniture : 11k surplus Furnite, 7k shortage Luxury Furnite.
Chemical Plants : 13k surplus Fertilize, 5k shortage Explosives
Shipyards : 9k surpluse steamers, 5k shortage on Ironclads

And big problem is you can´t always sell or buy from AI, because they have same problem. Biggest issue is Shipyards. Shipyards was nearly to collaps because steamers are so cheap and expensive ironclads can´t fix it.

Is there any plan to make there a change? Or build a slider for this buildings?
Yeah, I noticed in a recent playthrough that when you get lower class SoL above 20, Luxury good demand goes crazy, and the solution involves pumping out large ammounts of the regular good

• 3Like
Reactions:
"While we want Oil to be an important late-game resource, its current bottleneck as an available resource is a little too harsh to the player’s experience so we’ve expanded the discoverable oil fields in game."​

"If Russia and the United States collapse in game, 50%+ of the world's oil supply is locked behind their regression and the world suffers. We want to have historical credibility but also give players multiple avenues to pursue."
Having oil as a limited resource is one of the big fun factors of the game. It gives some areas more economical and strategic meaning.
You need the oil and you possibly need to go and get it --> this causes much needed justifiable conflict in the game.
Some times having oil and sometimes not having it also makes playthroughs different.

I think doubling the oil reserves takes the game in the wrong direction. In enforces the more simple game play of just managing you build queue and trade routes while doing map painting on the side. And every game becomes more similar, if you always have good access to all resources.

I hope you implement another solution sooner than later. I was actually even expecting this based on the Dev Diary #64 where Martin list the following as one of the possible future diplomatic features:
"Foreign investment and some form of construction in other countries, at least if they’re part of your market"

This could give the option of investing in a country that is otherwise incapable of taking benefit of their oil reserves.
A more technologically advanced country could go and develop the oil fields. There could be even different kinds of deals that can struct with the locals how the resulting fields are exploited.
This would give a new alternative to the current solution on simply conquering the area. While also offering an incentive for the investor to protect the country from invasion by others.

This could even yield more game play on the political side: some kind of change is law could nationalize the oil fields opposite to the foreign investors interest.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is easier to implement a production method that only make explosives and no fertilizes.

I understand the logic on furniture+luxury furniture and textile+luxury textile. If you run 30 factories of cloth some will have more quality than others.

But i cannot substitute explosives with fertilizier or glass with chinaware. Let me change the production method so i only make what is demanded.
i think brine electrolyses almost gets there

[*]The gating of Oil Fields to only historically extracted areas is always tricky, if Russia and the United States collapse in game, 50%+ of the world's oil supply is locked behind their regression and the world suffers. We want to have historical credibility but also give players multiple avenues to pursue.

If you want it to be historically credible, then minimizing the loss of major oil producers to the world economy does not do that. All it does is add credence to the criticism that this game is a minimal consequence sandbox.

Reactions:
Then I would like to point out the first Hungarian oil extraction in 1937 done by Americans. See this university paper that tells you about everthing important related the Hungarian oil industry (watch out, clicking on the link downloads 296 kb).

Here's another article about this oil field and it's situation during WW2.

Fun fact that this oil production wasn't great, most of the oil was wasted until pipes were built - one of the smaller oil refineries were built on my birth village. Thus Americans during WW2 bombed us and I was always fascinated by bomb craters nearby.
The first Austro-Hungarian oil extraction was also done by Canadians. Thanks to them in 1909 Galicia was the third largest oil producer in the world.

Reactions:
What am I doing while this is being vetted? Why I am breaking ground into future balance changes in 1.2! As stated elsewhere on these forums, I am looking into the arable land balance of the game making changes to them. Since these changes have the potential to upend the world economy, I’m getting this branch settled early so we have as much time on our end to iterate on its balance. I will also take feedback from players upon 1.1s upcoming release, then look into tweaking other resources’ balance and such. There are always a few things to tweak!
Any consideration about making the last rubber plantation created the least productive (rather than most as is commonly the case now), or the last oil well, or the last rice farm?

The economist in me would like to see a supply curve that had marginal returns on new farms, mines, oil wells, and plantations decrease.

Reactions:
Any consideration about making the last rubber plantation created the least productive (rather than most as is commonly the case now), or the last oil well, or the last rice farm?

The economist in me would like to see a supply curve that had marginal returns on new farms, mines, oil wells, and plantations decrease.

Realism and gameplay/fun don't always go hand in hand. This is a prime example for such a case.

• 2Like
Reactions:
You could have a mix of three approaches:
  • Natural Rubber, as is now, with the highest yield
  • Synthetic Rubber as lategame addition
  • Artificial Rubber plantations that use arable land in fitting climate zones, but have lower yield
The approach of man-made plantations could also be applied to Wood, just to throw in the idea for you to contemplate on it.
Synthetic rubber (polyisoprene, the same thing that is in natural rubber) was actually synthesized based on a 1905 discovery as early as 1909 by Fritz Hofmann’s team at Bayer, still one of the largest chemical companies in the world! In 1910, Continental started to manufacture car tyres from Bayer’s synthetic isoprene industrually.

Also neoprene 1931 at DuPont and a myriad of others in 1935 by Walter Reppe at BASF.

I think Continental’s 1910 industrial applications demonstrate that synthetic rubber should be available in the game. It could perhaps be more expensive than simply harvesting from Rubber Plantations, perhaps a PM in a Chemical Plant turning oil into rubber? (As it happened IRL and still does, even the medicines you eat are generally ultimately made from oil)

Reactions: