• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #66 - Patch 1.1 (part 2)

16_9.jpg

Greetings my fellow Victorians, Paul here to talk about some of the things I have been doing for Patch 1.1.

As was said in previous dev diaries, this patch (1.1) is going to primarily focus on game polish: bug fixing, balancing, AI improvements and UI/UX work, while the next major free patch (1.2) is going to be more focused towards making progress on the plans we’ve outlined in our Post-Release Plans DD by iterating on systems like warfare and diplomacy. Hotfix (1.0.6) should be out for you all with performance improvements and some bug fixes in the meantime.

So what have I been doing? Balance work, alongside bug fixing, and assisting with some UI work and bettering of the player experience. I’m new to the design team and during my onboarding I've been able to utilize one of my special talents: I love spreadsheets and data - so I’ve been working on building profitability, production methods, and resource availability. In Patch 1.1 two large changes I have made are to Oil and Rubber and I’ve got some cool resource maps to show you the changes.

And before you take a look at the images showcasing what changes I have done, a big shoutout to @Licarious who made the tool that I am utilizing here today. This tool is open for you all on the forum in this thread. I have found the tool to be particularly lovely, helping me make quick visualizations of the changes I am considering in the game. It's one thing to balance a spreadsheet but another to take a look at the changes proposed on the map itself.

The World’s discoverable Oil Supply as of 1.0.6
image1.png

In the version of the game you are all currently playing, these are the oil reserves that are discoverable in game. They are mostly the historical oil fields that were cultivated over the current knowledge of where Oil is and has been accessible (even if we did not find out about it until later than 1936). As you’ve no doubt noticed in your later games, Oil is a scarce resource and limits the progress of later game industrialization. While we want Oil to be an important late-game resource, its current bottleneck as an available resource is a little too harsh to the player’s experience so we’ve expanded the discoverable oil fields in game.

I spent a few days going through various feedback threads on the Discord and forums, alongside as many natural resource distribution maps as I could to give a better estimate of the world’s oil supply and help make the game representative of that. As of now we’ve doubled the world’s potential oil fields to give rise to a more plentiful supply in the world by both player and AI actions.

The World’s discoverable Oil Supply as of 1.1.0
image2.png

I know some of you might be asking, why did we not just increase the production of oil methods and leave the historical oil fields in place? Why have you included [specific] oil fields that were not tapped until ~1950! etc.Those fields represent a usage of either Oil Sands, or some various substrate that would have not been accessible at the time.

These are all some valid questions and I will no doubt go into more detail in the thread about choices made, but some quick answers.
  • Oil production methods are already incredibly profitable and buffing them further would help but probably not fully solve the problem.
  • The gating of Oil Fields to only historically extracted areas is always tricky, if Russia and the United States collapse in game, 50%+ of the world's oil supply is locked behind their regression and the world suffers. We want to have historical credibility but also give players multiple avenues to pursue.
  • We don’t exactly leave a track record of “this field would have been accessible in 1880" etc in our history books when we discover new resources, so best guesstimates have to be used and a balance between historical and semi-balanced gameplay has to be found.

We are by no means done with Oil, this is my first step in their balancing and it's been sent off to QA to run tests and gather feedback. I’ve got plenty of possibilities to look into but I want to make iterative changes instead of altering many things at once and not seeing the full impact.

Things I am looking into for the future includes
  • Gating some oil reserve potential behind tech to make it where deposits that were not found until more modern days are harder for the player to get to, but still possible.
  • If Oil Supply is still too short - looking into adding more variation of production methods of balancing of input/output of those factories.
  • Giving the Whale Oil Industry a bit more of a kick into gear in the early stages of the game.

So keep your feedback on the forums/Discord coming! I might not read and answer them right away but I do collate them for future reference and they’ve been incredibly helpful in my efforts.

And now onto the world’s rubber supply, which I have also adjusted for Patch 1.1.

The World’s discoverable Rubber Supply as of 1.0.6
image3.png

While not as much of a bottleneck as the world oil supply, rubber is found to not be plentiful enough to meet world demand at current. And as we make the AI better at extracting and utilizing resources in game, we no doubt have to increase the rubber supply available to the world.

And so here are the changes.

The World’s discoverable Rubber Supply as of 1.1.0
image3.png

Notice the differences? Your eyes aren’t deceiving you, the two maps are the same - and this is not a mistake. The changes to Rubber have been focused on its vertical margins as opposed to the horizontal margins. While I could have upped the world supply of rubber, looking at the later game saves I found it was population issues which were preventing the resource from meeting demands, etc.

So, what I did instead was add a new PM to Rubber Plantations, giving them an automatic irrigation system (like that of the other Plantations this building shares relation to in name only) to symbolize later efforts to modernize plantations and not be fully rainfall dependent. This would help increase the productivity of buildings already in game.

Rubber Plantations can now double their effective output in the later game, by replacing some employees with machines.
image4.png

Items I am looking into for the future include:
  • Adding more Rubber potential to the world if this PM is not enough
  • Potential synthetic rubber in the late game?
  • State traits for the specific areas of the world best suited to its cultivation to help throughput

These two resource changes have been put into 1.1 among other things and are currently being vetted for balance and functionality by the QA team. I look forward to hearing your thoughts as well but remember that all numbers are currently WIP. If you have thoughts and opinions and can find me a source backing up your claims, please feel free to put them in the thread or on Discord/forums where then can continue to be collated for me.

What am I doing while this is being vetted? Why I am breaking ground into future balance changes in 1.2! As stated elsewhere on these forums, I am looking into the arable land balance of the game making changes to them. Since these changes have the potential to upend the world economy, I’m getting this branch settled early so we have as much time on our end to iterate on its balance. I will also take feedback from players upon 1.1s upcoming release, then look into tweaking other resources’ balance and such. There are always a few things to tweak!

And that’s it for this dev diary, with this little peek behind the curtain of work being done I am now going to return to it and read through the QA feedback. Then do some further balancing as needed and my work for Patch 1.2.

Patch 1.1 is planned to release before the end of the year and it's already November so it's not that far away in the grand scheme of things. Next week we will talk about some more of the changes in that patch.

• 192Like
  • 42Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
This comment is reserved by the Community Team for gathering Dev Responses in, for ease of reading.

Patch 1.1 also contains several AI improvements and bugfixes that are not mentioned in this dev diary that's about resource balancing! We'll publish the full changelog at a near future date.

Cypres said:

@PDJR_Alastorn lovely changes, in my playthroughs i noticed some particular shortcomings of coal in the very early and very late game. In the late game particular i was also confronted with a huge surplus of wood. I personally would love to see an extra PM added to logging camps that adds a small output of coal at the expense of wood output to solve both issues.
Something to look into in the future. I have a hunch the coal shortcomings is due to the oil shortage and the AI not making the jump over to that resource.

We will see how things tend in the future.

blah_1123 said:

Ok, but the problems with oil aren't so much there isn't enough reserves it's that the AI just refuses to build oil rigs. Is that being addressed?
That is also being addressed by AI changes being made and iterated on.

Even if there was AI development of all oil the data I was having indicated we would still need to deepen the world's oil supply.

I said in the dev diary we are actively making the AI better at these things, let's not fall to the object permanence of this is the sole solution of 1.1 towards this.

It's many things and there's a fun tangent on how Im pretty sure the character age bug is what has also been propping up the games current regressive regimes.

Lucododosor said:

I wish I had read this earlier so I wouldn't have spent five minutes jumping up and down between maps to make sure I wasn't going crazy
Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Gerulus Sum said:

Even if it's not perfect, would it be possible to push some quick fixes to arable land in 1.1? Even something as small as doubling arable land in every state in the Americas would be a massive improvement over the status quo.
Not possible sadly, too many knock on effects I need to work through. 1.1s release date does not give enough time to vet "quick arable land fixes" with all the other things on the list to be examined.

shaldon said:

Oh man I beg that you tone down the addition of huge amounts more oil, half the fun of the game is competition for resources! Maybe some kind of halfway house first rather than a big bang of oil everywhere??
I will tone it down, when I see the test results that tell me to to tone it down.
Else I will be making a judgement call without data - and I'm not a fan of doing that.
Besides, this could have been the half-way house, or I could have been talked up for all you know. This was not the first draft.

fusei said:

My biggest problem is hardwood and contrary to oil I can't solve (or at least delay) it by sniping Texas or Basra.
I think we got something nice in for hardwood for 1.1 - if its still an issue give me some data points and I can look for 1.2

Fletz said:

@PDJR_Alastorn , awesome DD, thx!

I still miss the rich oil sources at Vienna which still deliver oil. :)
Have a look:

Öl! Weltgeschichte im Wiener Becken - Augustin - Die erste österreichische Boulevardzeitung

Texas, der Nahe Osten oder aus aktuellem Anlass Russland werden mit Erdöl in Verbindung gebracht. Dabei hat dieser fossile Rohstoff vor den Toren Wiens eine lange und wirtschaftlich bedeutende Tradition. Ein historischer Überblick. TEXT: BENJAMIN STEININGER Vom Kahlenberg aus konnte man die...

augustin-or-at.translate.goog
augustin-or-at.translate.goog

"Boryslaw's oilfields in World War I are described as the "pantry of the German U-boats". When troops of Tsarist Russia conquered the oil fields for a short time in 1915, drilling was also carried out in the Vienna Basin for the first time and without success."

They finally started in 1930s with oil production there but it could have been much earlier.

See, this is why I love the community. My searches missed this. I will add it to the backlog of sources.

SupremTurtle said:

Can some rubber be "discoverable" in Southern China? Rubber was introduced in China around 1896, and was planted in large quantities in the province of Yunnan and Hainan (in game part of the Guangdong province).

China has in general pathetic resources compared to other regions. For example, China have one the world's largest lead deposits, yet in game there is barely any. Genreally more resources would be appreciated. (As a sidenote, please add maize to Northern China, where it has been grown in large quantites since its introduction in the 16th century. Although gameplay wise it's not meaningful, it is historically and culturally meaningful)
Its unlikely to make it into 1.1 but its certainly something I can look into for the future. Any documentation you can send my way to expedite my searches would be appreciated. I've not looked at anything other than Oil and Rubber at the moment, I know there are a hundred of "but this state made X" comments - I will hopefully get to them all in time, sources help me stack them in a pile for my todo's in the future since its hard to look at a map and notice what's missing if I didn't know it was supposed to be there.

Silens said:

You could have a mix of three approaches:
  • Natural Rubber, as is now, with the highest yield
  • Synthetic Rubber as lategame addition
  • Artificial Rubber plantations that use arable land in fitting climate zones, but have lower yield
The approach of man-made plantations could also be applied to Wood, just to throw in the idea for you to contemplate on it.
Yeah its on the list of considerables but like Synthetic Oil its towards the late end of the time period and so its something I can do but its not something you would see right away. IIRC Synthetic Oil was like... 1929? I cannot remember Synthetic Rubber and I lack internet (on mobile). Its debatable and we can fudge those numbers forward but thats definitely a late game solution mainly, and we've got more than late game problems right now so it wasn't the best fix.

Cosmonaut15 said:

I’m pretty sure the rubber plantation is not currently automated even at present day. This is not a wheat farm that you can just drive a cultivator into the field and call it a day. Actually, they’re not labor intensive as planters can tapped the tree trunk and collect all the latex once a container is filled, the same way as maple syrup. So why not balancing by increasing production per worker or reducing comsumption when used as raw mat?
Fair questions - one, adjusting inputs as raw mats requires a bit more calculation and balancing because it can have knock on effects of other industries and its not a change I felt comfortable doing at that period of time. So instead I made the changes to adding an automatic irrigation PM. This is not to be confused as a cultivator addition, this is not the tractor or tool PMs that are on fields or plantations. This is the addition of engines as pumps to ensure irrigation of the nursery when rainfall is not sufficient.

The change I did make was increasing production per worker - by using a later game PM to double the production. Production per worker is already doing well (in static balancing) it was more that the economies of nations in these areas could not sustain a larger working pool to make the supply meet demand. Now this is actually due to a few reasons, some of which are the depopulation of Subsaharan Africa balance bug, alongside some Malaria side effects we've already been working on.

RhoxOS said:

Is there some reason why Brunei is excluded?

Edit: +Estonia
No particular reason, either its been missed in the sheet, typo'd or I had a really good (or stupid) reason I cannot remember.
Remember - all things are WIP and being reviewed.

UnArgentino said:

AFAIK the oil reserve in argentina is a lot more than what bolivia has.

And our state oil company was one of the firsts in the world.
Sources.
Give me sources please.

Sigismund der Münzreiche said:

Much could be said about this topic and I agree with what others already posted that the AI needs to build more resource buildings however I thought I'd limit my comment to something else. I own a german lexicon from 1938 that is an interesting contemporary source of information imho. So here's what it says regarding to known places where oil is found and about production output: It says world production in 1913 was 53,4 Million tons. By country: 34 US, 8,8 Russia, 3,8 Mexico, 1,8 Romania, 1,5 Dutch east indies, 1,2 British India, 1,1 Poland, 1,2 other.
In 1935 world production was 225,9 Million tons. By country: 134,6 US, 25,2 Russia, 22 Venezuela, 8,4 Romania, 7,6 Persia, 6,1 Dutch East Indies, 6,0 Mexico, 0,45 German Empire, 16 other.
Places where oil Reserves are known are qualified as: North and South America, Persia, Mesopotamia, East Indies, Caspian Sea (Baku), Romania, Galicia, German Empire (Province of Hanover, North Germany, Thuringia and Baden) It also talks about the new technology of Coal liquidification which I think should probably be in game. (Production method for synthetics plant?)
A scan of the lexicon dm'd to me would make my day.

• 11Like
Reactions:
Ok, but the problems with oil aren't so much there isn't enough reserves it's that the AI just refuses to build oil rigs. Is that being addressed?

• 34Like
Reactions:
Notice the differences? Your eyes aren’t deceiving you, the two maps are the same - and this is not a mistake.

I wish I had read this earlier so I wouldn't have spent five minutes jumping up and down between maps to make sure I wasn't going crazy

• 72Haha
  • 6Like
Reactions:
More accessibility is of course very useful but as long as AI isn't building these places up and using them, it'll be mostly up to the player to conquer and build it up. I hope another diary will assure us that it's being looked into.

• 9Like
Reactions:
@PDJR_Alastorn lovely changes, in my playthroughs i noticed some particular shortcomings of coal in the very early and very late game. In the late game particular i was also confronted with a huge surplus of wood. I personally would love to see an extra PM added to logging camps that adds a small output of coal at the expense of wood output to solve both issues.

• 18Like
Reactions:
I hope this doesn't swing too hard in the other direction and make all these resources too easy to get. After all, a big bottleneck is the AI's ability to extract them (which I think is a more critical fix than simply changing the map).

• 7Like
Reactions:
Greetings my fellow Victorians, Paul here to talk about some of the things I have been doing for Patch 1.1.

As was said in previous dev diaries, this patch (1.1) is going to primarily focus on game polish: bug fixing, balancing, AI improvements and UI/UX work, while the next major free patch (1.2) is going to be more focused towards making progress on the plans we’ve outlined in our Post-Release Plans DD by iterating on systems like warfare and diplomacy. Hotfix (1.0.6) should be out for you all with performance improvements and some bug fixes in the meantime.

So what have I been doing? Balance work, alongside bug fixing, and assisting with some UI work and bettering of the player experience. I’m new to the design team and during my onboarding I've been able to utilize one of my special talents: I love spreadsheets and data - so I’ve been working on building profitability, production methods, and resource availability. In Patch 1.1 two large changes I have made are to Oil and Rubber and I’ve got some cool resource maps to show you the changes.

And before you take a look at the images showcasing what changes I have done, a big shoutout to @Licarious who made the tool that I am utilizing here today. This tool is open for you all on the forum in this thread. I have found the tool to be particularly lovely, helping me make quick visualizations of the changes I am considering in the game. It's one thing to balance a spreadsheet but another to take a look at the changes proposed on the map itself.

The World’s discoverable Oil Supply as of 1.0.6
View attachment 911628

In the version of the game you are all currently playing, these are the oil reserves that are discoverable in game. They are mostly the historical oil fields that were cultivated over the current knowledge of where Oil is and has been accessible (even if we did not find out about it until later than 1936). As you’ve no doubt noticed in your later games, Oil is a scarce resource and limits the progress of later game industrialization. While we want Oil to be an important late-game resource, its current bottleneck as an available resource is a little too harsh to the player’s experience so we’ve expanded the discoverable oil fields in game.

I spent a few days going through various feedback threads on the Discord and forums, alongside as many natural resource distribution maps as I could to give a better estimate of the world’s oil supply and help make the game representative of that. As of now we’ve doubled the world’s potential oil fields to give rise to a more plentiful supply in the world by both player and AI actions.

The World’s discoverable Oil Supply as of 1.1.0
View attachment 911629

I know some of you might be asking, why did we not just increase the production of oil methods and leave the historical oil fields in place? Why have you included [specific] oil fields that were not tapped until ~1950! etc.Those fields represent a usage of either Oil Sands, or some various substrate that would have not been accessible at the time.

These are all some valid questions and I will no doubt go into more detail in the thread about choices made, but some quick answers.
  • Oil production methods are already incredibly profitable and buffing them further would help but probably not fully solve the problem.
  • The gating of Oil Fields to only historically extracted areas is always tricky, if Russia and the United States collapse in game, 50%+ of the world's oil supply is locked behind their regression and the world suffers. We want to have historical credibility but also give players multiple avenues to pursue.
  • We don’t exactly leave a track record of “this field would have been accessible in 1880" etc in our history books when we discover new resources, so best guesstimates have to be used and a balance between historical and semi-balanced gameplay has to be found.

We are by no means done with Oil, this is my first step in their balancing and it's been sent off to QA to run tests and gather feedback. I’ve got plenty of possibilities to look into but I want to make iterative changes instead of altering many things at once and not seeing the full impact.

Things I am looking into for the future includes
  • Gating some oil reserve potential behind tech to make it where deposits that were not found until more modern days are harder for the player to get to, but still possible.
  • If Oil Supply is still too short - looking into adding more variation of production methods of balancing of input/output of those factories.
  • Giving the Whale Oil Industry a bit more of a kick into gear in the early stages of the game.

So keep your feedback on the forums/Discord coming! I might not read and answer them right away but I do collate them for future reference and they’ve been incredibly helpful in my efforts.

And now onto the world’s rubber supply, which I have also adjusted for Patch 1.1.

The World’s discoverable Rubber Supply as of 1.0.6
View attachment 911631
While not as much of a bottleneck as the world oil supply, rubber is found to not be plentiful enough to meet world demand at current. And as we make the AI better at extracting and utilizing resources in game, we no doubt have to increase the rubber supply available to the world.

And so here are the changes.

The World’s discoverable Rubber Supply as of 1.1.0
View attachment 911632

Notice the differences? Your eyes aren’t deceiving you, the two maps are the same - and this is not a mistake. The changes to Rubber have been focused on its vertical margins as opposed to the horizontal margins. While I could have upped the world supply of rubber, looking at the later game saves I found it was population issues which were preventing the resource from meeting demands, etc.

So, what I did instead was add a new PM to Rubber Plantations, giving them an automatic irrigation system (like that of the other Plantations this building shares relation to in name only) to symbolize later efforts to modernize plantations and not be fully rainfall dependent. This would help increase the productivity of buildings already in game.

Rubber Plantations can now double their effective output in the later game, by replacing some employees with machines.
View attachment 911633

Items I am looking into for the future include:
  • Adding more Rubber potential to the world if this PM is not enough
  • Potential synthetic rubber in the late game?
  • State traits for the specific areas of the world best suited to its cultivation to help throughput

These two resource changes have been put into 1.1 among other things and are currently being vetted for balance and functionality by the QA team. I look forward to hearing your thoughts as well but remember that all numbers are currently WIP. If you have thoughts and opinions and can find me a source backing up your claims, please feel free to put them in the thread or on Discord/forums where then can continue to be collated for me.

What am I doing while this is being vetted? Why I am breaking ground into future balance changes in 1.2! As stated elsewhere on these forums, I am looking into the arable land balance of the game making changes to them. Since these changes have the potential to upend the world economy, I’m getting this branch settled early so we have as much time on our end to iterate on its balance. I will also take feedback from players upon 1.1s upcoming release, then look into tweaking other resources’ balance and such. There are always a few things to tweak!

And that’s it for this dev diary, with this little peek behind the curtain of work being done I am now going to return to it and read through the QA feedback. Then do some further balancing as needed and my work for Patch 1.2.

Patch 1.1 is planned to release before the end of the year and it's already November so it's not that far away in the grand scheme of things. Next week we will talk about some more of the changes in that patch.
Is the upcoming patch going to include balace changes? Russia UK USA not regressing entire game? France not skyrocketing over Britain in 1846? Maybe some bugfixes to warfare, like naval invasions teleporting away after gaining a foothold?

God I pray for a patch where the battle can tell us what is the reasoning over the size of my army in the fight, where 300k vs 20k over frontline would end in rapid victory (unless its chinese vs britain), where warfare is more understandable, more informative, more realistic.

Wish you luck!

• 14Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Great, thank you! Now just please balance the world a bit in a sense that France isn't eclipsing all other AI nations in a few years and nations like russia are progressing a bit, not regressing over time

• 4Like
Reactions:
In Brazil, more than 80% of oil today is extracted in Rio de Janeiro. But oil is absent in the map.

Rio Grande do Norte has ground extraction, also not present in the map.

Paraná has oil shale extraction, also no oil in the map.

Some Brazilian states that have never had oil now have oil potential. Can’t understand the logic behind

• 3Like
Reactions:
Great changes, Maybe should expensive resources have an increased chance to be discovered? People will invest more to discover expensive resources and less to discover worthless ones.

• 2Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Very happy to see the addition of Oil deposits, in one of my first runs ive had a brutal war for the Khuzestan only to find out that it doesnt actually have any Oil.. o_O

Also super happy to see that you are already iterating around Arable Land as this has imo been correctly identified as a key issue. Hope that changes are not just limited to pure raw land numbers but also perhaps Subsistence Buildings themselves.

• 2Like
Reactions: