Can we talk about the Soviet Union nerfs?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why would you go Early Mob in March when you can get War Eco in July through an attaché to Spain? Sitting at 46% WS (you start with 40%, get +5% from Turkey remilitarising the Bosporus and WT gives you another +1%), you can also just go straight to Partial in March if you really think it's worth it.

Exactly this! Of course, this assumes you don't go to war with Turkey over the Militarisation of the Straits :p

Exactly this! Of course, this assumes you don't go to war with Turkey over the Militarisation of the Straits :p

I don't think I've ever seen the Turkish AI not back down on historical. Don't know what the odds are on ahistorical, but I would guess they tend to not go to war over the matter there either.

Why would you go Early Mob in March when you can get War Eco in July through an attaché to Spain? Sitting at 46% WS (you start with 40%, get +5% from Turkey remilitarising the Bosporus and WT gives you another +1%), you can also just go straight to Partial in March if you really think it's worth it.

This is my preferred route, but with the understanding that the Republicans are going to fold like a cheap suit against boosted Germany and Italy in SP no matter where I put my divisions. Just have to drag out the SCW until Japan attacks China, then I can pay the extra 100 PP to send an attache there.

It's an extra 100 PP to keep War Economy going in this situation, but if I'm running down the Paranoia focuses, I'll have enough PP to do it and I can keep paranoia down while I keep it going.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I tend to spend most of '39 with going down the Collectivist Propaganda branch. In '40 I focus on the army stuff to unlock industry relocation, after that I aim for the Camouflage one (seems like a decent thing to help with early war air parity whene enemy bombers can still get through). The aerial stuff I tend to grab once Barbarossa breaks out - ideally I'll have a bunch of RADAR along my defensive line, so the Axis air force should be kept in check until that stuff is done.

That aside I think PCDI is actually pretty good, that extra prod efficiency is really nice for the initial production lines, I am actually contemplating to squeeze that one in once the initial industry techs are done.

Yesterday, I ran through the build-up I described earlier (purges>agitprop>foreign experts>Comintern>PCDI), and it gave me around 370 factories by Barbarossa. Pretty sure that’s more than I ever had previously, by 41 I was actually struggling to figure out what to build with all of my new MILs. The construction boni stack up very nicely, and the new tree gives you quick access to four operatives, which means you can constantly use Germany as a blueprint slot machine by the time the purges are done. And that’s not even optimized, I switched from CIV to MIL a bit earlier than usual and threw a lot of IC at railways in 41. I also screwed up in a few places like not triggering the Gosproyektstroy and Xinjiang decisions as soon as I could. But overall, the Soviets can have a very strong industrial base by 41, and it’s only going to get stronger from there with the buffs to production efficiency cap.

Aye, that is one of the things I optimized as well now.
Given that I had not played for quite a while, I wasn't actually aware (anymore?) that an attaché boosts war support. So my approach now is to switch into the slightly delayed war economy and maintain it via another attaché in China.
[...] which means you can constantly use Germany as a blueprint slot machine by the time the purges are done [...]
Aye - to be fair, I tend to view the whole espionage stuff as _a bit_ gamey, so I mostly just assassinate Trotzki and then leave my operatives at home. Which does probably hold me back quite a bit tech-wise.

I had 410 factories before barb (210 civs and 200 mils) and i took only Baltic states (and 1/2 Poland from German). Eco is not bad - they buffed infra in states, gave some civ build speed and you can have more stab. Debuffs for army and air are painfull, especially when you can win just using cas to kill all trucks. Germans didint bother to research fighter 2 in 1941 ... Looks like i need to wait for expert AI.
Ps. As i said in dev diarys - just skip TFP. You have better focuses to do.

Last edited:
You get +10% WS.

• 1Love
Reactions:
What does the Turkish AI backing down actually mean? As the Soviets, I still can't get my ships into the Mediterranean.

It means that your Black Sea Fleet retains Mediterranean access! The Turkish Straits will retain a "Friendly" type of access, as though you had military access or the Treaty of Lausanne (which kept them demilitarised a the game start) was still in effect. This has always been a vital part of Russian and Soviet foreign policy, and allows you to use one of your stronger fleets to directly harass your enemy shipping in the Mediterranean Sea.

I last tested it to work in the beta patch.

Reactions:
Having played 2 times, I totally confirm that Soviets have been for some reason nerfed.
Actually I'm quite disappointed with this DLC (my fault that I probably was not so attentive to DDs), I expected some sort of mechanic to simulate disaster during first months of Barbarossa. Something that might force Soviet player to not be able to deploy all forces on border (if played via historical Stalin focuses) and force to deploy in 3 separate deployment waves (as it was historically), so Germany is able to crush Soviet forces with having serious number advantage in any given place and allow for tremendous encirclements.

In order to simulate history you need to make sure that by 1941 Soviets have MORE factories than Germany, but Germany has more quality based army and tactical advantage, so only way for Germany to win in this war - is to quickly capture as many factories as possible, create encirclements and destroy as many divisions as possible, to even the odds.

Yes, I understand that some tactical decisions that force bad decisions on players (like bad deployment) might be seen as arbitrary, but this is something that good game designer should think about and implement wisely.
What we have now in MP is that German player just steamrolls Soviet if fight is happening one on one, not in blitzkrieg, but in a long run in a war of attrition! This is just ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions:
After reading all the replies and getting caught up what I see is that players who understand the changes and have figured out the NF tree are all saying that SOV is at least as strong as before. And those players that are sstill not sure what to do, or make poor choices are still saying the soviets got nerfed.

It really comes down to the fact that this DLC had MAJOR and I mean MAJOR changes in multiple areas and that means you can't use the same formula and ideas playing as SOV that you did before. If you do then it sure does seem like a nerf. But if you study and understand all the changes then you will soon realize that it was not a nerf to SOV at all.

• 8Like
Reactions:
I noticed that a bunch of folks were talking about how they got Wrecked by CAS earlier in the thread, so here's my two cents on it

I know this is general Advise from someone whose experience on MP consists of derping with a couple of friends, but why doesn't anyone even try Line AA? you get a bunch more out of it than Support AA, and you can instead use that Support Company Slot for something more helpful.

I know this is general Advise from someone whose experience on MP consists of derping with a couple of friends, but why doesn't anyone even try Line AA? you get a bunch more out of it than Support AA, and you can instead use that Support Company Slot for something more helpful.

Yep. They are super cheap. And I love engineer flame support tanks with a dozer blade.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Having played 2 times, I totally confirm that Soviets have been for some reason nerfed.
Actually I'm quite disappointed with this DLC (my fault that I probably was not so attentive to DDs), I expected some sort of mechanic to simulate disaster during first months of Barbarossa. Something that might force Soviet player to not be able to deploy all forces on border (if played via historical Stalin focuses) and force to deploy in 3 separate deployment waves (as it was historically), so Germany is able to crush Soviet forces with having serious number advantage in any given place and allow for tremendous encirclements.

In order to simulate history you need to make sure that by 1941 Soviets have MORE factories than Germany but more quality based army and tactical advantage, so only way for Germany to win in this war - is to quickly capture as many factories as possible, create encirclements and destroy as many divisions as possible, to even the odds.

Yes, I understand that some tactical decisions that force bad decisions on players (like bad deployment) might be seen as arbitrary, but this is something that good game designer should think about and implement wisely.
What we have now in MP is that German player just steamrolls Soviet if fight is happening one on one, not in blitzkrieg, but in a long run in a war of attrition! This is just ridiculous.
Perhaps I am reading you wrong here, but if you are asserting that the Soviets had superior quality and a 'tactical advantage' over the Germans, you would be incorrect.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Perhaps I am reading you wrong here, but if you are asserting that the Soviets had superior quality and a 'tactical advantage' over the Germans, you would be incorrect.
Probably a typo and 'quantity' was meant instead.
The fundamental problem with HoI4 is that replicating the historical results with game mechanics is extremely hard. The reasons for the Germans' early successes (especially against France) can't really be modeled by game mechanics, so the Germans are ahistorically buffed and their opponents nerfed to compensate.

Reactions:
I mean at the end of the day whether you agree with the changes or not I think we can all agree that the USSR AI is getting stomped into the ground on historical by the German AI with very little industry/equipment. Also very little challenge for German players for that matter.

Reactions:
I mean at the end of the day whether you agree with the changes or not I think we can all agree that the USSR AI is getting stomped into the ground on historical with very little industry/equipment.

Exact. But every AI stomped by the Germans since release (while every player, except maybe extreme case like Luxembourg) can stomp the AI