• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #82 - Court Type Content

Howdy, y'all!

Once again shadow posting for our wonderful Dev, CC! Who could this mysterious figure be who I am ghostwriting for? We may never know the answer to that. However, we do know that the info from today will be quite interesting for those of you following along with Royal Court updates and information!

Without further ado, may I present:

Court Type Events:
Hello and welcome to another Dev Diary. We talked about the Court Types system last week, and continuing on that, this week we’ll showcase the different types of content you might experience depending on your chosen court type!

1.png

[image showing a petition court event about an offensive monument; more common in diplomatic or administrative courts]

2.png

[image showing a petition court event about funding a cadastre; more common in administrative courts]

If your court is known as a place of learning, then you can expect events concerning scholarly matters to be more common. If it’s a place famed for its administrative nature, then events related to that will be more frequent.

These “court event weighings” don’t eliminate events from the pool, they just alter their “weights.” It’s not just petition events that are affected either, but the court events too.
3.png

[image showing court event about reselling a neighbouring country’s fashion; more common in diplomatic courts]

And if you think that the events are limited to the court room alone, nay nay. We’ve added court type weighted events outside of court as well. Nothing is sacred, nowhere is safe.
4.png

[image of event where an academic disagreement is happening; more common in scholarly courts]

Likewise, some new content is based off of your grandeur level and even your amenities. For instance, if your lodgings are low enough that you’re struggling to house everyone, that does give a _rather_ convenient excuse to evict guests and other scroungers from a cramped castle.
5.png

[order mass eviction decision]
6.png

[order mass eviction event]

On the inverse side of things, having so many rooms that you don’t know what to do with them gives a bit of uhhh… space for experimentation.

7.png

[exoticise a grand hall decision]

Redecorating in the style of a glamorous court is a bit on the nose, but not a bad way to crank up your own court’s grandeur.

8.png

[exoticise a grand hall event]

Of course, for the _rustic_ look, you could redecorate after a less-than-fashionable court...

9.png

[exoticise a grand hall event, less grand court tooltip]

And, to round off, rulers whose courts lack grandeur that are willing to hold their nose a little can even burn some of their remaining dignity in exchange for skilled staff, rounding out their courts with experience even without pedigree.

10.png

[scraping the barrel event]

• 95Like
  • 27Love
Reactions:
I like it, here's hoping for more events. The more varied the better, they are the lifeblood of the game.

But sadly I think Coronations won't be on Royal Court, even though it would fit with the theme of the DLC completely and already existed on CK2.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Sorry if this was asked already: Do you think it'd be possible to have some authors of extensive conversion mods have early access to 1.5? Sort of like how there was before the game was released?

• 6Like
Reactions:
I keep reading "exoticize" as "exorcise". Maybe call it "redecorate" instead?
Not to mention "exoticize" doesn't even mean "to make exotic", it means "to fetishize or portray as exotic". You'd say something like "Disney's Aladin exoticizes the Middle East", because it portrays it as a mystical fantasy land of treasure and magic.

Reactions:
Okay I'm gonna guess that the royal court will release in either February 8 2022 or April 19 2022.

Edit: If I'm right... victoria 3 will probably release first than the royal court...

• 1Like
Reactions:
The game is not actually written or played in languages that were current at the time it's set, though. Our whole perception of what counts as 'realistic' in this context is itself a modern cultural construct.

nd
Yes, that's absolutely true. It would be nigh unplayable if written in a period correct language haha. But still, at least two of us thought it sounded strange and out of place, whatever that's worth. Maybe they were going for a more rural country-folk kinda vibe with it, I dunno.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Looks good. But I urge you - make more events. However many events you've made, make more. They are the lifeblood of the game.

Just for reference, Old World has over 3,000 narrative events. I know it's much easier to do events for a turn-based game, but at least consider how you can make multiple variants of similar events (like the children education events). That will increase the count and therefore the variety you get in each game.
I'm definitely on this "MOAR events" bandwagon

• 1Like
Reactions:
"Ain't" is over 300 years old and is definitely not some new slang. The idea that "ain't" isn't "correct language" is what's modern.
"ain't" is older than that (https://www.etymonline.com/word/ain't#etymonline_v_8076), but I agree it feels very out of place. I think it's just a term that has strong associations with certain time periods, and the middle ages isn't one of them.
Regardless of its exact emergence, it seems clear that "ain't" is post-medieval. We have to use current modern English in order to make the game comprehensible, but I do think it'd be a good idea to avoid post-medieval slang.

• 1Like
Reactions:
"Ain't" is over 300 years old and is definitely not some new slang. The idea that "ain't" isn't "correct language" is what's modern.

"ain't" is older than that (https://www.etymonline.com/word/ain't#etymonline_v_8076), but I agree it feels very out of place. I think it's just a term that has strong associations with certain time periods, and the middle ages isn't one of them.

Off by a few centuries there, dates back to the 18th century. Still anachronistic though, so your point still stands. I found it jarring as well.

Ok, that's a bit surprising. I didn't think it was that old, but didn't look it up to find out. Interesting to know.

The game is not actually written or played in languages that were current at the time it's set, though. Our whole perception of what counts as 'realistic' in this context is itself a modern cultural construct.

nd

This is true, of course. I'm sure medieval languages would be very difficult for us to understand without having to really think it through. And as I mentioned, this may be meant to convey medieval slang, which isn't necessarily a bad thing to try to do. It's just that when reading it, especially with the italicized emphasis on the word, it was just really jarring to me and I don't think from a design standpoint you should ever want any of your dialog or other texts to be jarring except in very specific situations where that's the desired effect. To me, seeing "ain't" here is just as jarring as if I saw an event that said something like "y'all". To me, that would be very jarring as well and for the same reason. It just feels very "off" for this game. It would be fine in more modern games, but just doesn't fit well here.

And here's the real question beyond just debating etymology of the word or whether or not it can represent older slang or whatever else... Does using it offer any meaningful improvement to the event or is it just there "just because"? Would the event be any worse off to say "mostly because they aren't from this land" or "mostly because they're not from this land"? Would it lose any meaning for feeling or anything to make that change? I don't think it does. And if it doesn't, then there's no reason to use a word that can be jarring in this game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I really like the court graphics. Ya'll have done an excellent job, especially considering this is something we have never seen in a Paradox strategy game before.

Can't wait to see the DLC released. It seems to have an insane amount of features, content, and things that future DLCs can build off of. Ya'll are exceeding my expectations.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The DLC looks better and better, but i worry about the performance, it seems that the game will be at a slower pace now.

Of course that i hope to be wrong on this.

Reactions: