• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #82 - Court Type Content

Howdy, y'all!

Once again shadow posting for our wonderful Dev, CC! Who could this mysterious figure be who I am ghostwriting for? We may never know the answer to that. However, we do know that the info from today will be quite interesting for those of you following along with Royal Court updates and information!

Without further ado, may I present:

Court Type Events:
Hello and welcome to another Dev Diary. We talked about the Court Types system last week, and continuing on that, this week we’ll showcase the different types of content you might experience depending on your chosen court type!

1.png

[image showing a petition court event about an offensive monument; more common in diplomatic or administrative courts]

2.png

[image showing a petition court event about funding a cadastre; more common in administrative courts]

If your court is known as a place of learning, then you can expect events concerning scholarly matters to be more common. If it’s a place famed for its administrative nature, then events related to that will be more frequent.

These “court event weighings” don’t eliminate events from the pool, they just alter their “weights.” It’s not just petition events that are affected either, but the court events too.
3.png

[image showing court event about reselling a neighbouring country’s fashion; more common in diplomatic courts]

And if you think that the events are limited to the court room alone, nay nay. We’ve added court type weighted events outside of court as well. Nothing is sacred, nowhere is safe.
4.png

[image of event where an academic disagreement is happening; more common in scholarly courts]

Likewise, some new content is based off of your grandeur level and even your amenities. For instance, if your lodgings are low enough that you’re struggling to house everyone, that does give a _rather_ convenient excuse to evict guests and other scroungers from a cramped castle.
5.png

[order mass eviction decision]
6.png

[order mass eviction event]

On the inverse side of things, having so many rooms that you don’t know what to do with them gives a bit of uhhh… space for experimentation.

7.png

[exoticise a grand hall decision]

Redecorating in the style of a glamorous court is a bit on the nose, but not a bad way to crank up your own court’s grandeur.

8.png

[exoticise a grand hall event]

Of course, for the _rustic_ look, you could redecorate after a less-than-fashionable court...

9.png

[exoticise a grand hall event, less grand court tooltip]

And, to round off, rulers whose courts lack grandeur that are willing to hold their nose a little can even burn some of their remaining dignity in exchange for skilled staff, rounding out their courts with experience even without pedigree.

10.png

[scraping the barrel event]

• 95Like
  • 27Love
Reactions:
I'm bored so have a fun fact. You character can theoretically live to 146 or 148 years old until they finally kick the bucket. Disclaimer: you need every health boost that exist in the game and be lucky so this is only possible because of the ruler designer and pure dumb luck.

Reactions:
Ok, that's a bit surprising. I didn't think it was that old, but didn't look it up to find out. Interesting to know.
Yeah, there are a few terms that we think of as slang that are surprisingly old. "Aks" or "ax" instead of "ask" dates back to Old English, and was the standard pronunciation until the 1600's. Singular "they" has been around for centuries and actually predates singular "you" (you used to only be plural; thou was singular).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Not if it's supposed to reflect some (probably lost in Modern English) medieval slang.
If that were the case, sure, though that doesn't really apply here.

To me, seeing "ain't" here is just as jarring as if I saw an event that said something like "y'all".
Funny thing: "y'all" (attested 1631) is even older than "ain't" (attested 1706) :)

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
So you would accept "Yeet that boi outchere" on the grounds that it's intended to represent lost medieval slang for "throw that peasant out of my court"?
Insofar as it would make sense for the person able to make demands to throw someone out of the court to speak in medieval slang rather than in "neutral" speech (and in most situations it wouldn't, which would make the point moot - and this is what @Karlington seems to mean), yes.
Changing CK3 into a SIM dating simulator? fair enough
Again, "always has been".
The DLC looks better and better, but i worry about the performance, it seems that the game will be at a slower pace now.
I share the concern, to be fair.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I don't want to minimise the work of the people who put all their effort into the actual 3-D court, but is there a way to replace the 3-D court with just the map? I would like it to be as if the events were just normal events.
Thanks.

• 1Like
Reactions:
1637676192237.png

• 5Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions: