• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Sound of Music is a Broadway musical that became a famous motion picture, which you probably already know.
No. I think that is the problem. I have no idea what that is about. And since I consider Musicals as trash, I deem it rather inappropriate (read: completely useless) when it comes to teaching people anything.

So, again, what is the plan here?

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's quite correct, you have the proper rules down as if you went to German school :)
That's interesting, because in Swedish, even new sentences start with lower-case "v" if it's part of a name. This applies to all names with lower-case, like Arabic for instance, so you could start a sentence with "bin Laden" (for example). Oh well, at least you're more civilized about the issue than the Austrians.

No. I think that is the problem. I have no idea what that is about. And since I consider Musicals as trash, I deem it rather inappropriate (read: completely useless) when it comes to teaching people anything.

The damn movie was on tv every Christmas when I was young. I think the topic may have been too sensitive for German public broadcasting. Either that or you subconsciously erased it from memory.

Thank you for posting the essay, but I find it very difficult to agree with their conclusions. They walk past the entire backstory straight up to an agenda driven perspective, and it is very difficult to believe the two Jews who wrote this story are whitewashing anti-semitism.

Von Trapp's children would agree wiht you on Georg's character. When they first saw the production they objected, saying their father was nothing like the man portrayed in the film. And complained about it, loudly, to no effect.

And Herr Detweiler? He isn't a Jew. He is the straight up representation of Father Franz Wasner, a Roman Catholic priest who was Georg's friend, who lived with the von Trapp's, and becomes von Trapp Family musical coordinator. Wagner will accompany them on all of their tours both in Europe prior to leaving for America, throughout America, and later on world wide tours.

Problem, it is hard to make a Roman Catholic Priest have the same convictions of easy living portrayed by Uncle Max.

Fun fact, Franz Wasner will become the rector of Pontifical Institute Santa Maria dell' Anima which was Alois Hudal's operation during and after WWII.
I know quite a few Roman Catholic priests who are into easy living. European Catholicism isn't the same animal as American Catholicism. But I agree the digression about Detweiler doesn't strike me as convincing.

On the other hand, I find the linking of daddy Von Trapp to Dolfuss quite credible. As several posters have pointed out, that's the Mussolini kind of fascism. They didn't do antisemitism, or no more than was already common in their societies. In fact antisemitism is probably the biggest thing separating them from actual Nazis. The movie isn't whitewashing antisemitism, it's reinforcing that distinction. The problem is antisemitism is far from the only objectionable thing about fascism.

The damn movie was on tv every Christmas when I was young. I think the topic may have been too sensitive for German public broadcasting. Either that or you subconsciously erased it from memory.

I know quite a few Roman Catholic priests who are into easy living. European Catholicism isn't the same animal as American Catholicism. But I agree the digression about Detweiler doesn't strike me as convincing.

On the other hand, I find the linking of daddy Von Trapp to Dolfuss quite credible. As several posters have pointed out, that's the Mussolini kind of fascism. They didn't do antisemitism, or no more than was already common in their societies. In fact antisemitism is probably the biggest thing separating them from actual Nazis. The movie isn't whitewashing antisemitism, it's reinforcing that distinction. The problem is antisemitism is far from the only objectionable thing about fascism.
Except for the fact this story is told by Jews, yes it is about rehabilitating Germany on Broadway - where there are more Jews than in Israel.

Dollfus and the Austrian government are never mentioned by name.

And priests who like to live easily upon the wealth of others are not hard to find, but it doesn’t match the story. The Church is lily white here, their Ratline helps the Opressed over the border rather than the oppressor.

Last edited:

I can clearly see that viewing all musicals as trash would have some impact on your knowledge of this.

I will politely disagree. There are some very good musicals in the world and a whole bunch that aren’t.

Last edited:
I can clearly see that viewing all musicals as trash would have some impact on your knowledge of this.

I will politely disagree. There are some very good musicals in the world and a whole bunch that aren’t.
Do musicals really make people think?

Phantom of the opera, Rent, Westside Story, and Springtime for Hitler come to mind... All of them pretty good musicals, I loved them, but..... educational experiences, that they really weren't. Even the best musicals are "just" fast paced revue type performances of very catchy music, by young performers picked for their dancing and singing skills, not their drama skills, leaving little time for dialogue, spoken arguments, etc.

For a totally clueless audience, I guess they're something that at least offers a superficial hook into a topic. But when the curtain drops, you'll have to explain basically everything about the story, in "real history" terms, don't you?

Do musicals really make people think?

Phantom of the opera, Rent, Westside Story, and Springtime for Hitler come to mind... All of them pretty good musicals, I loved them, but..... educational experiences, that they really weren't. Even the best musicals are "just" fast paced revue type performances of very catchy music, by young performers picked for their dancing and singing skills, not their drama skills, leaving little time for dialogue, spoken arguments, etc.

For a totally clueless audience, I guess they're something that at least offers a superficial hook into a topic. But when the curtain drops, you'll have to explain basically everything about the story, in "real history" terms, don't you?

The guys at South Park will tell you the hidden subtext of Musicals. They are big, lavish entertainments designed to inspire emotion; not tools of education.

Rent? Hate it. With a frigging passion. Worst night on Broadway I ever spent in my entire life.

Fiddler on the Roof. What is its message? The Jews populating the Pale of Settlement are really just trying to worship God in their own way with the limited means given to them. These are not International Financiers, but the pogrom comes for them and drives them to America.

My Fair Lady? Lower classes are every bit as good as upper classes if they take the time to learn the speech and mannerisms of their betters.

Les Mis? The law is unfair, God is just.

Spamalot? Camelot is a silly place, let's not go there.

Can someone translate HHhH (Himmler's brain is spelled Heydrich) using the proper verbiage in German for me?

My thanks in advance.

The only Christmas movie on german TV is "Der kleine Lord" (Little Lord Fauntleroy) from 1980.
We got that one, too. But on the second day of Christmas we got Die Unendliche Geschichte, which was bearable.

As several posters have pointed out, that's the Mussolini kind of fascism. They didn't do antisemitism, or no more than was already common in their societies. In fact antisemitism is probably the biggest thing separating them from actual Nazis.

Italy was among the least anti-Semitic states during the early of Mussolini’s rule. Il Duce even made it very clear, his aversion to anti-Semitism while declaring that there was no Jewish question, neither the idea of biological racism, which was promoted by the German Nazi Party.

However, during his dictatorship, Mussolini drastically changed his concern about the Jewish people. From 1938 onward, the Italian government, under Mussolini, began to legislate and enforce anti-Semitic regulations.

Reactions:
Italy was among the least anti-Semitic states during the early of Mussolini’s rule. Il Duce even made it very clear, his aversion to anti-Semitism while declaring that there was no Jewish question, neither the idea of biological racism, which was promoted by the German Nazi Party.

However, during his dictatorship, Mussolini drastically changed his concern about the Jewish people. From 1938 onward, the Italian government, under Mussolini, began to legislate and enforce anti-Semitic regulations.
Correct. To clarify, I meant the pre-1938 model. It would, incidentally, not have been possible for a regime that ended in March 1938 to copy racial laws that were introduced in November 1938.

Reactions:
My thanks to all concerned, the powerpoint was well received and when I left the Nazi actors were busy Heil Hitlering themselves silly.

Funny bit:

I was showing the clip out of ‘Conspiracy’ where the term ‘Evacuation’ is hammered. So I told these kids: “This is the BUTCHER OF RIGA, Rudolf Lange, one of Heydrich’s boys, beloved of Adolph Hiter. He is a lawyer who runs an Einsatzgruppen kill team”

That is what I saw on my screen. The picture on the Promethean Board behind me?

1633133406244.jpeg

Seriously. Thank you. Love you guys!

The Sound of Music is actually completely irrelevant in Germany, not because of its content, but because the story was already known.

There is a German movie called "Die Trapp Familie", released in 1956, which was seen by an estimated 27 million people in German theaters (back then far more people went to the theaters). It was also a success in some other countries and even had a US-release in 1961. It was followed up by a sequel called "Die Trapp-Familie in Amerika", which wasn't nearly as successful, but still somewhat noteworthy. All this is what caused American interest in telling the story. They bought the rights from Ilse Kubaschewski. It included a share of the income for both the planned musical and any movie, but also meant that Kubaschewski couldn't film a third movie of the story or have the two existing movie be re-released again ( this changed later on).

When The Sound of Music was released as a movie, it became the biggest hit of all time in the USA, the UK and quite a few other countries, but wasn't as big in France as the German original had been. In Germany and Austria, the movie flopped so hard that the intake didn't even make up the costs for printing the copies.

Reactions:
The Sound of Music is actually completely irrelevant in Germany, not because of its content, but because the story was already known.

There is a German movie called "Die Trapp Familie", released in 1956, which was seen by an estimated 27 million people in German theaters (back then far more people went to the theaters). It was also a success in some other countries and even had a US-release in 1961. It was followed up by a sequel called "Die Trapp-Familie in Amerika", which wasn't nearly as successful, but still somewhat noteworthy. All this is what caused American interest in telling the story. They bought the rights from Ilse Kubaschewski. It included a share of the income for both the planned musical and any movie, but also meant that Kubaschewski couldn't film a third movie of the story or have the two existing movie be re-released again ( this changed later on).

When The Sound of Music was released as a movie, it became the biggest hit of all time in the USA, the UK and quite a few other countries, but wasn't as big in France as the German original had been. In Germany and Austria, the movie flopped so hard that the intake didn't even make up the costs for printing the copies.
Yes. The German movie gave birth to the stage play that became a musical built around Mary Martin. Then came the movie version.

Reactions:
They need someone to come in and teach the kids the emotional impact of the Nazi Party. All four of them pointed at me. I'm writing out the rough draft so my valuable comrades can find the holes.
I got an hour and a half to fill. And these kids know jack squat about European history. Whatcha got?

Was the show already? How did it go?

Was the show already? How did it go?
The show was this past week and weekend, closing last night.

It went very well.

What was interesting was the director INSISTED zero photographs of the students wearing SS uniforms (borrowed from a local university, one of which had the armband of the Adolf Hitler Liebenstandarte insignia which I was amused at and probably no one else even saw it.)

As he said it, these historically correct symbols make great sense in context of the play. But on some grandma's instagram they can be taken out of context immediately and no one needs that photo showing up out of context.

The kids playing the Nazis were very interested in my take on their portrayals, i was well pleased.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
  • 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions: