• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think your confusion stems from your anochronistic comparison with communism. Communism is a modernist philosophy which maintains that the state should have direct control about a lot of things. Communal ownership of land during the middle ages was a lot less centralized and was lived on a more local level. Think the commons in England (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_land).
A modernist ideology which might be a better comparison than communism would probably be something like anarcho-syndicalism (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-syndicalism).
I'd add possibly the Jewish Kibbutz of the early 20th century, and other "co-operative" farming approaches to this.

Shield Maiden/Longship is fine (the latter is already an innovation), but raiding is already overpowered, and making it so that some cultures can use it as a feudal and some can't would mean everyone would be scrambling to hybridize with Norse.

There's a reason that it is currently restricted to tribals and unreformed, and it's a big part of why tribals are honestly stronger than feudals for most of the game.
if you are that strong, you could just get communal reformation and raiding would be a waste of time right?
or they could make it so that a warmonger actually raid. i mean warmongers pillage while at war anyway.

id say a similar stat like "armed pilgrims" +2 prowess & 15% less chance of troops dying in combat + the possibility of making shield maidens is a good one. shield maidens require prestige to & 12 prowess to even be of use for 1 character.

Last edited:
They certainly won't and that Stalwart is certainly not unique for Croatians. I'd imagine most locals in the Baltics will get it to represent a struggle against Christianization and crusades
I'd like to remind everyone that the pope called for a crusade against the Estonians in the 12th century after a very devastating attack by the Estonian vikings against the Danish coastline during which the Danish king had to mobilize his entire fleet and battled the Estonians for several days and took heavy losses until the Estonians were defeated. News of that event spread quite quickly and moved the eyes of the crusaders towards the last vikings of Europe who were ravaging several Christian kingdoms of Northern-Europe on a regular basis and that was their lifestyle/heritage already before the Viking Age even started.

I would find it extremely odd if "struggle against Christianity" would define the Estonian culture considering their very extensive history of seafaring and raiding if we look at everything before 867 and 1066. In 867 and 1066, the Livonian crusade is still centuries away and we shouldn't project the future onto the past.

Reactions:
I'd like to remind everyone that the pope called for a crusade against the Estonians in the 12th century after a very devastating attack by the Estonian vikings against the Danish coastline during which the Danish king had to mobilize his entire fleet and battled the Estonians for several days and took heavy losses until the Estonians were defeated. News of that event spread quite quickly and moved the eyes of the crusaders towards the last vikings of Europe who were ravaging several Christian kingdoms of Northern-Europe on a regular basis and that was their lifestyle/heritage already before the Viking Age even started.

I would find it extremely odd if "struggle against Christianity" would define the Estonian culture considering their very extensive history of seafaring and raiding if we look at everything before 867 and 1066. In 867 and 1066, the Livonian crusade is still centuries away and we shouldn't project the future onto the past.
I said "most" not "Only Estonian", obviously they won't just put the whole region into one Ethos/Tradition. Plus culture can have multiple traditions, having Stalwart doesn't block something else about Seafaring

I said "most" not "Only Estonian",

Okay, I missed that, sorry.

obviously they won't just put the whole region into one Ethos/Tradition.

I truly hope so as the Estonians weren't in the same cultural "world"/zone as the Balts. They were an integral part of the Nordic world before, during and after the Viking Age but things got pretty hostile when Scandinavians accepted Christianity. Culturally, the Estonians were still in the Viking Age in the 11th and 12th centuries based on their way of life, archaeology, clothes, jewelry etc. Based on chronicles we know that in the last battles of the Livonian crusade, the Western-Estonians of Saaremaa yelled "Thor, help!" when charging against the 13th century Danes who called out for Jesus. I find that a bit funny as the Danes were fearsome pagan vikings some centuries ago and then crushed the last Viking culture that had remained in Northern-Europe.

I'm bringing stuff like this out because when CK launched, the Estonians didn't even have access to longships (there's still a bug of k_Estonia being in the wrong geographical region) and it was extremely odd. After a lot of noise done by several people in the forums, it was added as a discovered innovation which is historically accurate. I'm just trying to prevent situations where the Estonian culture is somehow seen as some indistinguishable "Baltic" thing as they weren't Balts in any way.

So instead of making bug reports after some launch. I bring stuff like this out already beforehand and hope that some dev reads it as PDX doesn't seem to have hired a historian in the context of North-Eastern Europe.

Plus culture can have multiple traditions, having Stalwart doesn't block something else about Seafaring

Yeah, that would make sense. :)

Last edited:
With the collective land, land is owned by the commoners working it, with the monarchs above being able to exert less control over them. The commoners, on the other hand, are more able to invest their wealth into improving their status, resulting in higher development growth. This is not a state owning land and the people working it, this is the concept of the people as a collective owning the land they work - but as a monarch, this means you have less complete ownership of that land (and the people).
That's a good explanation. Thanks! :)

how much is this small DLC gonna cost
It's far from a small DLC. Maybe you aren't interested in it, so it appears small to you since it doesn't give you things you care about, but it is still a pretty big expansion. As to cost, I believe they said these expansion DLCs will be $30. If you don't like the cost, there are many things connected to the expansion that are free to everyone.

• 2Like
Reactions: