• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How is an army's movement path determined? I would assume the movement arrow would go from one province's locator to the next, but that doesn't seem exactly true, as I moved a locator in the map editor, but in game the army's arrow still curves towards it when a straight line would be proper. Other provinces it wants to completely cross over another province en route to another next to it for no reason.

Also, is it possible to show movement path in the map editor? I'd like to position bridges where the movement arrows actually cross rivers so it appears your units are actually using them, but I don't see any way to do this beyond repeated guessing and switching between the editor and game constantly.

Hi all, quick question. I want to make an event that fires (for the player only) as soon as you start the game. One event for the 867 start, another one for the 1066. How can I do that?
I tried to put
Code:
on_game_start = {
    effect = {
        #MEDIEVAL ARTS
        title:c_venezia = { add_county_modifier = lagoon_city_modifier }
        #welcome event
        if = {
            limit = {
                AND = {
                    current_date < 900
                    is_ai = no
                }
            }
            trigger_event = {
                id = ma_artist.1003
                days = { 5 }
            }
        }
        if = {
            limit = {
                AND = {
                    current_date > 1000
                    is_ai = no
                }
            }
            trigger_event = {
                id = ma_artist.1005
                days = { 5 }
            }
        }
but it doesn't work

Is it possible to add custom tenets without having to include all of the base game tenets in the same file? I noticed that if I only have my custom tenets in the text files, all of the base game tenets become unavalible when I try to create custom religion.

GUI question...
I added a header_with_picture to the Council Window:
Code:
blockoverride "illustration_texture" {
                            texture = "gfx/interface/illustrations/event_scenes/throneroom_west.dds"
                            alpha = 0.5
                    }
Now, I want this to change to the east, india, mediterranean or tribal alternative graphics based on culture/region/govt type. Anyone know how?

It slows down visual aging, prolongs the character's life and increases the length of time that a female character remains fertile. Basically, you're extending the normal human aging process by that many years.
So if, say, a 46 year old woman gains a +10 life_expectancy modifier, will she become fertile again? And if an 80 year old character who is already at death's door gains a life_expectancy modifier, it won't do much of anything?

Is it possible to add custom tenets without having to include all of the base game tenets in the same file? I noticed that if I only have my custom tenets in the text files, all of the base game tenets become unavalible when I try to create custom religion.
No, at the moment at least - it's not. You have to include any custom tenets as well as all vanilla tenets in the same file.

Having a small problem with title localisation for female rulers vs. spouses.

In vanilla the spouse of a duke is treated by title as a duke herself, I want the game to recognise rulers vs spouses, as well as a title for a [culture] duke that is generic, as well as a title for [culture] duke that is specific to a title.

At the moment what is happening is that the female yoruba holders of d_oyo are being called by the spouse title (Olori) rather than the ruler-title, Alaafin.
In practice it should be, generic duke or duchess = Oloye or Iyaloye, specific title for yoruba duke of Oyo = Alaafin, female spouse of ANY Yoruba duke = Olori, male spouse of any female duchy ruler = Oloye.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Here is the code showing male/female/spouse flavorization.

Code:
duke_feudal_male_yoruba = { #Oloye
type = character
gender = male
special = holder
tier = duchy
priority = 123
governments = { feudal_government clan_government tribal_government }
cultures = { yoruba }
top_liege = no
}

duke_feudal_yoruba_oyo = { #Alaafin
type = character
special = holder
only_holder = yes
tier = duchy
priority = 143
cultures = { yoruba }
titles = { d_oyo }
top_liege = no
}

duke_feudal_female_yoruba = { #Iyaloye
type = character
gender = female
special = holder
only_holder = yes
tier = duchy
priority = 123
cultures = { yoruba }
top_liege = no
}

duke_feudal_yoruba_oyo_female = { #Alaafin
type = character
special = holder
only_holder = yes
female = yes
tier = duchy
priority = 153
cultures = { yoruba }
titles = { d_oyo }
top_liege = no
}

duke_feudal_female_yoruba_spouse = { #Olori
type = character
gender = female
special = holder
#only_holder = yes
tier = duchy
priority = 143
cultures = { yoruba }
top_liege = yes
}

Hello,

I am trying to change the de jure setup of some counties in landed_titles and i am facing some seemingly random crashes.
Moving the following baronies crashes the game on choosing a campaign:
b_buxtehude -> c_stade
b_depenau -> c_hannover
b_woldenburg -> c_brunswick
b_sibenik -> c_cetina
b_biograd -> c_knin
b_vielha -> c_lleida

Other changes are working perfectly, for example:
b_husumbrucke -> c_ditmarschen
b_bederkesa -> c_bremen
b_bribir -> c_zadar
b_udbina -> c_knin

Shifting counties to different duchies also works fine.

I triple-checked if I cut & pasted incorrectly, but everything looks like it should be working. Did anyone encounter a similar problem? What could be the reason for these random crashes? I don`t see anything the "crashing" baronies have in common.

Thank you in advance!

Does anyone know how to use the HUD SKIN feature? Northern Lords provided a basic skin change for Norse characters. I wanted to implement changes for Muslim characters, so I added the following to 00_hud_skins.txt:
Code:
muslim = {
    is_shown = {
        has_dlc_feature = the_northern_lords
        religion = religion:islam_religion
    }
}

Then I created a new "muslim.skin" file:
Code:
name = muslim
folder = gfx/interface/skins/muslim

I put my graphics into that folder, same folder and file names just like the Norse one. Nothing changes. Am I missing something or does this feature not even work?

How do I give a title seniority succession at the start? I thought it would be a simple as:

Code:
    1032.1.1 = {
        succession_laws = { single_heir_dynasty_house }
    }

But that doesn't seem to work. My best guess is that it's not working because they don't have the necessary innovation.

Simple decision. How come the game doesn't recognize the different relations?

Code:
is_valid = {
OR = {
   root.religious_head = {
        has_relation_friend = root
        has_relation_soulmate = root
        has_relation_lover = root
        is_close_family_of = root
        primary_spouse = root
        }
        root = { has_strong_hook = root.religious_head }
        }
        }

How do I give a title seniority succession at the start? I thought it would be a simple as:

Code:
    1032.1.1 = {
    }

But that doesn't seem to work. My best guess is that it's not working because they don't have the necessary innovation.
I think I figured this out. I had to also make sure the titles in question satisfied the historical_succession_access_single_heir_dynasty_house_trigger in 00_succession_triggers.txt. I did this by just adding those titles to the trigger:

Code:
historical_succession_access_single_heir_dynasty_house_trigger = {
    OR = {
        AND = {
            has_title = title:d_bohemia
            culture = { has_innovation = innovation_table_of_princes }
        }

has_title = title:k_transoxiana   <--- HERE
        has_title = title:k_zhetysu  <--- HERE
        has_title = title:d_verona
    }
}

The game seems to copy climate or something from the base map ... where do I change this?

Also, when zoomed in my terrain is super spiky and I shudder at the thought of having to go through it all manually to flatten the spikes.

I used the Tangram Heightmapper for the heightmap (super detailed)

Last question, are there any tricks to reduce the loading time or such for the map (I've alread halved the base map size here)

Thanks!

EDIT: Can you keep working on finetuning the map without it causing crashes once the mod becomes playable? ... you know, sculpting terrain here and there?

20210606231742_1.jpg

Last edited:

Code:
    1032.1.1 = {
    }

Look in the actual succession and law files in I think scripted triggers (can't remember). Looking at the e_byzantine example there may help.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Apologies if this has come up before, but which files would I need to edit in order to expand the list of faiths/cultures which can appoint and make use of shieldmaidens? So far I've edited the "01_fp1_interactions" in "common/character_interactions". However this only enables me to appoint someone as a shieldmaiden and give them the trait - they don't appear as an eligible champion. Also, how would I go about making it so that you can make your spouse a shieldmaiden?

Hello. Having trouble with localization and graphics of a new Trait and Dynasty Modifier not showing up. For the Trait, Its description shows up fine, but the name is completely empty. This is both in the Ruler Designer UI, mousing-over the Trait itself, and looking at adjusted modifiers. For example, it give +2 to Learning, and mousing-over the Learning icon just shows ": +2" for the Trait's effect. The icon for the Trait shows up fine though.

As for the new Dynasty Modifier, it doesn't show up at ALL. The Decision to gain it says "The [Dynasty] Dynasty gains for 5 years." It doesn't show up in the Modifier space on the Character UI at all. It has its own icon that I've place in gfx/interface/icons/modifiers, just like other Modifiers in the vanilla files. It definitely exists, as, like with the Trait, it affects what it should affect. In its file, I have "icon = icon_name", like with other Modifiers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, less important, but is there any way to force an event onto a random independent ruler, or several random rulers? "random_independent_ruler" doesn't seem to do anything.

I had a similar issue with trait names. It looks like you might need to add the line 'trait_' before the trait's name in the Localization.
Like if your trait's name is 'my_trait' the Localization would be :
trait_my_trait: "My Trait"

I cannot answer the Icon question, have never used a Custom Icon.

'random_independent_ruler' and 'every_independent_ruler' both definitely exist. Are you using them with a limit = {} block ?
Code:
    random_independent_ruler = {
        limit = {
            religion = religion:christianity_religion
            is_male = yes
            is_landed = yes
        }

add_prestige = 50

trigger_event = {
            id = event_ID_blah.7
        }
    }
- Finds a Random Independent Ruler who is male and Christian and holds a title with land, and gives him 50 Prestige and triggers the event by the specified ID to happen to that character

Yep, my trait in localization does, indeed, have "trait_" before it. Specifically, the trait is "kow_blessed," (the "kow" is "Knight of Whispers," another username I use) and the localization is
Code:
trait_kow_blessed:0 "Blessed"
. So, can't be that. Furthurmore, the description in the localization is
Code:
trait_kow_blessed_desc:0 "For some reason, this character is a bit more blessed than most."
, so if that one works, so should the other, right?

I'll take a look at the random stuff later. Maybe I didn't use LIMIT when I should've.

Simple decision. How come the game doesn't recognize the different relations?

Code:
is_valid = {
OR = {
   root.religious_head = {
        primary_spouse = root
        }
        root = { has_strong_hook = root.religious_head }
        }
        }
Did you intend that the Root's Religious Head should be their Friend, Soulmate, Lover, whose Primary Spouse the Root is and who is Close Family of Root, all at the same time ?
If you instead intended that either the Root has a Strong Hook on their Religious Head OR that the Religious Head was ANY ONE of those relations you could change it to be like this :

Code:
    is_valid = {
        OR = {
            root.religious_head = {
                OR = {
                    primary_spouse = root
                }
            }