• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi all, quick question. How can I make development spread more slowly in the entire world?
I'm creating a mod which would drastically increase its growth, but I want it to be kind of limited to a few select provinces (Rome must be really developed, not every county in Latium)

Also, on another note, does anybody know how to use the "add_innovation_progress" effect? It's not on the wiki and never actually used in vanilla CK3, but it can be put inside the /history/cultures files and it works correctly there. However, when I tried to put it in an event like below, it doesn't seem to work. Am I doing something wrong?
Code:
#a fragment of course, it's inside the option of a character_event
culture:italian = {
            add_innovation_progress = {               
                culture_innovation = innovation_tuscan_romanesque_art
                progress = 25
            }
        }

Last edited:
Hi all, quick question. How can I make development spread more slowly in the entire world?
I'm creating a mod which would drastically increase its growth, but I want it to be kind of limited to a few select provinces (Rome must be really developed, not every county in Latium)

Also, on another note, does anybody know how to use the "add_innovation_progress" effect? It's not on the wiki and never actually used in vanilla CK3, but it can be put inside the /history/cultures files and it works correctly there. However, when I tried to put it in an event like below, it doesn't seem to work. Am I doing something wrong?
Code:
                progress = 25
            }
        }

Præsumably you should be able to adjust the following value in common/defines/00_defines.txt:—

Code:
NCounty = {
    DEVELOPMENT_SPREAD_NEIGHBOUR_FACTOR = 0.1
}

However, I can't tell you what this value means in absolute terms, and since it's already at 0.1, if it only reads it to a single decimal point you might be out of luck trying to lower it any. Experiment and find out, I guess!

Reactions:

Code:
                progress = 25
            }
        }
Does anybody know about the "add_innovation_progress"?

I'm trying to create essentially a mage-bodyguard relationship, similar in principle to shieldmaidens but I'd like to make it work cross-court and up or down the ladder (so a liege could bodyguard a vassal or vice-versa) and have each bodyguard associated with a particular mage, so I can't just scan for the trait within the court like the shieldmaiden event does. Can I add a custom relation and trigger events off that? If not, how do I condition things on opinion modifiers to get a similar effect?

Also, I'd like to add opinion/stats to people who have a given trait and follow a faith with a particular doctrine/tenet. Is there a way to do that directly from the doctrine/tenet or would I have to use events to add/remove it?

EDIT: is there any special setup needed to use localizations for game concepts? My other localizations are working and I have a .yml file in the same place as the others with keys matching the ones in the error log but they're not getting picked up.

Last edited:
EDIT: is there any special setup needed to use localizations for game concepts? My other localizations are working and I have a .yml file in the same place as the others with keys matching the ones in the error log but they're not getting picked up.

If you want "bodyguard" as a game concept with the encyclopedia nested tooltips, you need to :
- add bodyguard = {} to common\game_concepts\00_game_concepts.txt (or another file in the same folder)
- add game_concept_bodyguard and game_concept_bodyguard_desc in the loc file

You might still need bodyguard in your loc file to be used anytime you want to display the term withouth the encyclopedia tooltip, but they are 2 different things.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the life_expectancy modifier does? It's used in placed like the octogenarians dynasty perk:

Code:
blood_legacy_5 = { # Octogenarians
    legacy = blood_legacy_track

character_modifier = {
        life_expectancy = 5
    }
}

Does anyone know what the life_expectancy modifier does? It's used in placed like the octogenarians dynasty perk:

Code:

character_modifier = {
        life_expectancy = 5
    }
}

According to the documentation, it adds that many years to the default life expectancy. I could not tell you what that means in practical terms, though.

According to the documentation, it adds that many years to the default life expectancy. I could not tell you what that means in practical terms, though.
Yeah, I'm curious about it's actual implementation, and how it would interact to changes to things like starting health or the rate of health decay. I'm also curious how it works if you gain a life_expectancy modifier when you're already on death's door.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A few more health-related questions. These lines in defines.txt:

Code:
    RANDOM_CHARACTER_MIN_HEALTH = 4.0
    RANDOM_CHARACTER_MAX_HEALTH = 5.0
    RANDOM_CHARACTER_AGE_MIN_HEALTH = 2.5 # This is the minimum starting base health characters get after adjustments for age

Are these used only for randomly generated characters during the game, or do they also determine the starting health of characters in the history files?

Does the "adjustments for age" system use the normal aging process and the associated values (LOWER_HEALTH_BASE_CHANCE etc.), or is it a totally different system?

In this block:

Code:
    # This DIE values are used with a quadratic chance.
    DIE_HEALTH_TRESHOLD = 3.0 # Characters have a chance to die each DEATH_CHECK_INTERVAL days they have less health than this
    DIE_HEALTH_CHANCE_ZERO = 0.25 # This is the DEATH_CHECK_INTERVAL chance that a character dies at zero health (or lower)
Does the "quadratic chance" mean that the death chance formula is ((3 - current_health)^2) / 9 * 0.25 ? (Clamped to 0 for health > 3, and clamped to 0.25 for health < 0, of course)

Hi all, really quick question. I want to create an event but I'm not sure how to fire it. What would I have to write in the on_action to make it work?
The event would fire only if I rule over a county that has at least 15 development and is of italian culture.

Thank you all in advance

Whom exactly does the "is_clergy = yes" trigger cover?
Does it include those who match "is_theocratic_lessee = yes"? What about "has_council_position = councillor_court_chaplain" and "has_government = theocracy_government"?

Whom exactly does the "is_clergy = yes" trigger cover?
Does it include those who match "is_theocratic_lessee = yes"? What about "has_council_position = councillor_court_chaplain" and "has_government = theocracy_government"?
They refer to slightly different groups. Some religions have the temple holdings owned by the king who leases them to the bishop/goði, some do not. Theocratic government is for characters like Prince-Bishops or the Pope. Council position is obvious. I assume is_clergy includes them all.
Hope that helps.

Code:

character_modifier = {
        life_expectancy = 5
    }
}
It slows down visual aging, prolongs the character's life and increases the length of time that a female character remains fertile. Basically, you're extending the normal human aging process by that many years.

Reactions:
I'm working on a mod that changes the way health decay works by changing these three values in defines.txt:

Code:
    LOWER_HEALTH_BASE_CHANCE = 0.075 # This is the base chance of losing health at the START_AGE
    LOWER_HEALTH_YEARLY_INCREASE = 0.022 # This is the yearly increase of the chance to lose health
    LOWER_HEALTH_AMOUNT = -0.125 # This is the health change on each failed yearly health roll

Among other changes, I made LOWER_HEALTH_AMOUNT = -0.3125. I expect that this means health will decrease in steps of 0.3 (since it's only displayed to one decimal place in debug mode), or occasionally 0.4 depending on rounding. However, if I watch a particular character's health in debug mode, it sometimes decreases by only 0.1 - without any change to their traits or modifiers. I expected this to be impossible, but it seems like there's some other system that changes base health. Does your weight have an impact or something? (I know you can get the malnourished and obese traits, which have health effects, but the characters I'm watching don't have those). Are there events which directly edit your base health rather than giving visible modifiers?

How about checking the role succession order?
Can this be achieved?

Code:
any_close_or_extended_family_member = {
    NOT = { is_child_of = root }
    any_held_title = {
        tier >= tier_kingdom
        place_in_line_of_succession = {
            target = root
            value <= 5
        }
    }
}