• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Does your trait's definition at \\common\traits\ do anything with the trait's 'name = {}' block like the vanilla trait 'crusader_king' at line 8588 does ?
Is your localization file's encoding UTF-8-BOM ?
Is there anything related to the trait at \\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\logs\error.log ?
Does its index number overlap with any other trait?

Does your trait's definition at \\common\traits\ do anything with the trait's 'name = {}' block like the vanilla trait 'crusader_king' at line 8588 does ?
Is your localization file's encoding UTF-8-BOM ?
Is there anything related to the trait at \\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\logs\error.log ?
Does its index number overlap with any other trait?
1. Yes, including a desc = { line.
Code:
name = {
        first_valid = {
            triggered_desc = {
                trigger = {
                    NOT = { exists = this }
                }
                desc = trait_kow_blessed
            }
            desc = trait_kow_blessed
        }
    }

desc = {
        first_valid = {
            triggered_desc = {
                trigger = {
                    NOT = { exists = this }
                }
                desc = trait_kow_blessed_desc
            }
            desc = trait_kow_blessed_character_desc
        }
    }
Commenting either out does nothing.
2. Yes. The only things that aren't showing up are the trait name and modifier name. Everything else in the mod, which is in the same localization file, comes up fine.
3. YES! A few times! For one, my trait file wasn't in the right encoding. Will fix and see if it works! However, it says the same about other files that work fine. It also has:
Code:
[13:26:11][jomini_script_system.cpp:169]: Script system error!
  Error: has_trait trigger [ Cannot find kow_blessed_dynasty in trait database ]
  Script location: file: common/character_interactions/kow_blessed_deci.txt line: 17
Could be the issue with the modifier? Though there isn't ever "kow_blessed_dynasty" at line 17 of that file, so?
4. The trait id is 600, which I don't THINK it overlaps with anything. Is there an easy way to know?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: The trait is now showing up! However, I changed the modifier encoding as well, and still no luck there.
EDIT 2 Electric Boogaloo: Silly me, the Dynasty modifier shows up on the DYNASTY UI. So, the icon works... but still no name. Hm.

Last edited:
Apologies for responding so late.

The error log entry would suggest the Decision contains a reference to a trait that does not exist 'kow_blessed_dynasty'.
However your trait is named 'kow_blessed' based on your earlier post so a trait being referenced wrong someplace else would have no effect on any trait's naming.

I tried recreating the issue and used the following in \\common\traits\00_traits.txt :
Code:
kow_blessed = {
    index = 600

ruler_designer_cost = 0

name = {
        first_valid = {
            triggered_desc = {
                trigger = {
                    NOT = { exists = this }
                }
                desc = trait_kow_blessed
            }
            desc = trait_kow_blessed
        }
    }

desc = {
        first_valid = {
            triggered_desc = {
                trigger = {
                    NOT = { exists = this }
                }
                desc = trait_kow_blessed_desc
            }
            desc = trait_kow_blessed_character_desc
        }
    }
}
And in a localization file :
Code:
 trait_kow_blessed: "Blessed"
 trait_kow_blessed_desc: "For some reason, this character is a bit more blessed than most."
 trait_kow_blessed_character_desc: "For some reason, this character is a bit more blessed than most."

But to no avail, it all works fine.
All I can think is something is overriding the line in the localization with the trait's name, could there be a second malformed entry in your localization for trait_kow_blessed: "" somewhere ?

No worries for the late reply. Well, the trait works fine now. After I changed the encoding of the file, it works now. It's just the modifier name that's not showing up. Also, just noticed that the confirm localization for decisions is borked as well. For example, the confirm button for my decision "Get Money" just says "kow_money_decision_confirm," even though that loc key is filled out in localization. And I tried changing the encoding for all the relevant files as well. Hm. Thanks for the help, by the way.

No worries for the late reply. Well, the trait works fine now. After I changed the encoding of the file, it works now. It's just the modifier name that's not showing up. Also, just noticed that the confirm localization for decisions is borked as well. For example, the confirm button for my decision "Get Money" just says "kow_money_decision_confirm," even though that loc key is filled out in localization. And I tried changing the encoding for all the relevant files as well. Hm. Thanks for the help, by the way.
Well it's kinda good that it at least partially works. Just never encountered parts of a localization file's entries not being read by the game.

To help diagnose the issue you could also try the public CK3 modding co-op Discord server. They have a Tech Support section with dedicated channels for troubleshooting.
There recently was an invite link to it on the forums here : https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...t-the-ck3-mod-co-op-community-trello.1465722/

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'll look into the modifier issue later. It's far from game breaking, and it's only a personal mod I use because I'm noooooot that great at strategy... Thanks for the help though!

In the meantime, could someone point in the right direction as to how to do my other idea?

I feel that, while I like the mod mostly, the Random New World mod creates some very strange blobs. I know weird blobs aren't necessarily ahistorical, but they can still look weird. I think a better way of doing would be have randomized rulers take de jure land wholesale. For example:

1. Break down all land into counties
2. Randomly chosen characters gain some random de jure duchies neighboring each other. Their owned land contains ONLY those de jure duchies.
3. Randomly chosen characters gain some random de jure KINGDOMS, but mostly only one. Their owned land contains ONLY those de jure kingdoms.
4. Same with empires, though obviously not as many.

This way, the game starts with a very pretty but random map.

What would be a decent way of going about this? It's pretty tough to research this. I can't find a way to randomly chose a certain number of characters and have them gain land. In my testing, I was able to get the PLAYER to randomly steal neighboring counties, but not much else.

This would probably be a big project, but if someone could set me on the right path, it'd be appreciated.

This would probably be a big project, but if someone could set me on the right path, it'd be appreciated.

Hop on discord, helping you there will be much easier =)

1. Break down all land into counties
2. Randomly chosen characters gain some random de jure duchies neighboring each other. Their owned land contains ONLY those de jure duchies.
3. Randomly chosen characters gain some random de jure KINGDOMS, but mostly only one. Their owned land contains ONLY those de jure kingdoms.
4. Same with empires, though obviously not as many.

It sounds complicated, but it's probably actually not that hard to do, with triggers that specifically check for De Jure hierarchy.

Code:
is_de_jure_liege_or_above_target - is the title de jure liege or above the target title?
Traits: landed title target 
Supported Scopes: landed title

Code:
any_in_de_jure_hierarchy - Iterate through the title itself, all de jure vassals, and below. The continue trigger specifies whether to recursively iterate through the vassal's vassal
This is unrelated to the limit; if the limit is met it is added to the list, but its vassals will get checked even if the limit isn't met as long as the 'continue' trigger is
..._de_jure_vassal_and_below = { continue = { conditions } }
any_in_de_jure_hierarchy = { <count=num/all> / <percent=fixed_point> <triggers> }
Supported Scopes: landed title
Supported Targets: landed title

I am working on my first mod. In it ars a charachter and his familly. one of them is a ruler an the rest are in his court. The problem I have is the new characthers who are not the ruler dont have the appearance they sholud have. how do I fix it?

Is there a way to force all randomly generated characters to use dynasty names from the culture files? I dislike seeing characters named after the default localization for provinces.

Hi, I'm hoping someone can provide some guidance on a fairly simple modding project I would like to do.

I want to make two changes. First, I want the decision to form Norman culture to be available to any Norse ruler who has their capital holding anywhere in de jure France after the year 950 AD.

Second, I would like the decision to form English culture to be available to a ruler of any of the French or Frankish culture groups who has their capital anywhere within the de jure kingdom of England after 1100 AD.

Basically, I would like these cultural decisions to be much more broadly available so there is a better chance for these circumstances to occur without the player directly pursuing them.

Is there any way to set the keyboard focus to an edit field? With 1.4 Paradox not only didn't fix the save game dialog to have the filename field get focus, but they also broke my workaround of using the original 1.0 .gui file that was working through 1.2.

I've tried using 'focuspolicy = all', as I've seen that used in other places, but that doesn't do the trick.

So I am trying to replace the Suggestions button in gfx\interface\hud with one of the red frame icons from gfx\interface\icons\alerts. I am using paint.net to paste over the old image, and the mod functions properly. However, the image quality of the icon degrades quite a bit when I go to save the file. What am I doing wrong?

So I am trying to replace the Suggestions button in gfx\interface\hud with one of the red frame icons from gfx\interface\icons\alerts. I am using paint.net to paste over the old image, and the mod functions properly. However, the image quality of the icon degrades quite a bit when I go to save the file. What am I doing wrong?

I've had better results when following the only relevant bit of info on the wiki :
`should be saved with the 8.8.8 BGR 24bpp .dds format, without mipmaps`

I updated one of my mods in the workshop (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2258903753), but when I subscribe to it, and launch the game with the subscribed version (rather than my local version), it doesn't load any of my changes (same checksum as vanilla). Launching the game with my local version works fine, and all my changes are present. Is there a way to debug this? I tried to look through the log files, but I couldn't find any errors. Also, if someone could check whether you also get no changes, that'd be appreciated - not sure if the issue is with my upload, or something local on my end.

I updated one of my mods in the workshop (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2258903753), but when I subscribe to it, and launch the game with the subscribed version (rather than my local version), it doesn't load any of my changes (same checksum as vanilla). Launching the game with my local version works fine, and all my changes are present. Is there a way to debug this? I tried to look through the log files, but I couldn't find any errors. Also, if someone could check whether you also get no changes, that'd be appreciated - not sure if the issue is with my upload, or something local on my end.

If you really want to ensure the uploaded version is working properly, you need to completely remove your local version from your mod folder and disable the local version in the launcher. Merely disabling it, while leaving all the existing files in place, is not enough.

That said, there's no real reason to do so. The uploaded version will work exactly the same way as your local version, so the recommended course of action is simply to not subscribe to the version on the Workshop at all.

Reactions:
The same happened to me when I tried subscribing to a mod I had uploaded to the Workshop. The Launcher got confused and I had to reset the whole shebang.
So far though I have had no problems keeping the Workshop versions of mods maintained while only playing using the local version myself.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If you really want to ensure the uploaded version is working properly, you need to completely remove your local version from your mod folder and disable the local version in the launcher. Merely disabling it, while leaving all the existing files in place, is not enough.

That said, there's no real reason to do so. The uploaded version will work exactly the same way as your local version, so the recommended course of action is simply to not subscribe to the version on the Workshop at all.
That makes sense - I verified that the auto-downloaded version does in fact have all my changes, so it should be fine. Thanks for setting my mind at ease!

• 1Like
Reactions: