• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Snow Crystal just said on the live stream that the characters health bar will be removed in 2.0.2
I hope they will still say if it’s high, medium or low. Still would like that kind of information :)
I Really dont understand how levies work. So now they no longer have templates based on culture? They will be filled with a mix of integrated culture units based on pop class?
I think it’s still the same, it’s based on culture of integrated pops, but they fixed the bug where initially it would change based of composition of what culture was there at the time, regardless if it’s intergrated or not. Might be wrong tho, hopefully Arheo can clarify cos I’m confused too :)

Last edited:
Reactions:
I Really dont understand how levies work. So now they no longer have templates based on culture? They will be filled with a mix of integrated culture units based on pop class?
The number is based on the number of integrated non-slave pops in a region x Levy modifier (around 10% at game start, modified by a ton of things, like laws and techs). Every tenth Levy is a donkey.

The composition of levies is based on a cultural template (IIRC e.g. 15% light cav, 50% light infantry and 35% heavy infantry for Rome). Currently, the template of the most numerous culture in the region regardless of integration status is taken. This is a confirmed bug.

Apparently, they not only fixed it so that the most numerous integrated culture decided the Levy. Instead, multiple templates may apply in an averaged/weighted fashion if multiple integrated cultures are present.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I understood it that they now work as intended: each integrated culture provides units based on their templates, which means governorships with multiple integrated cultures will result in mixed-culture levies.

• 2Like
Reactions:
finally
Was this even an issue? well, why not
I think is an option to be able to change it, not an actual increase of cost
thats really good to hear as modder
One thing that would help with the levy mechanic are better tool tips that explain why the levy composition is what it is. Something like:

2 heavy infantry comes from your roman citizen pops
10 light infantry comes from your roman freeman pops
5 archers come from your etruscan freeman pops
etc.
!!!!!!!!!!!

• 5Like
Reactions:
This is a change that I consider very positive. This will give a greater variation in the units and opportunities for you to integrate some cultures with units that compensate for the weaknesses of your primary culture, great work Devs!
One thing I realized playing with Bactria is that there are some countries that benefit more from using Levies and Mercenaries than Legions due to the concentration of certain pops in different regions.
I almost lost a campaign with Bactria by changing the law from Military Service to Royal Guard...

Yes Military Service and very good for Bactria ;)

Imperator  Rome Screenshot 2021.03.03 - 17.20.53.86.png

• 2Like
Reactions:
This is a change that I consider very positive. This will give a greater variation in the units and opportunities for you to integrate some cultures with units that compensate for the weaknesses of your primary culture, great work Devs!
One thing I realized playing with Bactria is that there are some countries that benefit more from using Levies and Mercenaries than Legions due to the concentration of certain pops in different regions.
I almost lost a campaign with Bactria by changing the law from Military Service to Royal Guard...

View attachment 688417
I have also found out indecently Incidentally that military service is quite powerful. Some event made me change from Royal Guard to Military Service. I got to keep my legion and buffed all my levies! The only problem is that I cannot raise more units to the Legion as I do not have the law anymore.

I have also found out indecently Incidentally that military service is quite powerful. Some event made me change from Royal Guard to Military Service. I got to keep my legion and buffed all my levies! The only problem is that I cannot raise more units to the Legion as I do not have the law anymore.
So, 1) Make alegion you're happy with 2) change law
*3) if unhappy, change back and forth

• 3Haha
Reactions:
So, 1) Make alegion you're happy with 2) change law
*3) if unhappy, change back and forth
Advanced Strat:

-Have a law for 1 Legion in Capital
-Create sexy Legion you're happy with
-move capital to new region

• 12Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Advanced Strat:

Don't you have to pay 250 PI to move your capital?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Advanced Strat:

You just forgot that after that you will be on the street because the big families will probably kick you for not paying their wages anymore and the country will go bankrupt :p

• 2Like
Reactions:
You just forgot that after that you will be on the street because the big families will probably kick you for not paying their wages anymore and the country will go bankrupt :p
I never said it was good just that it was advanced :p

• 2Haha
Reactions:

View attachment 688417
I find legions to be a mixed bag. Some countries like Rome, Egypt, Seleucids and Maurya are simply better suited for legions because they have regions with very high populations that can support big legions. Other countries will always struggle to have the numbers to have a big legion and are better suited to go with the levy/mercenary combo. So overall I'm happy that they're turning mercenaries into an alternative to legions.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The number is based on the number of integrated non-slave pops in a region x Levy modifier (around 10% at game start, modified by a ton of things, like laws and techs). Every tenth Levy is a donkey.

The composition of levies is based on a cultural template (IIRC e.g. 15% light cav, 50% light infantry and 35% heavy infantry for Rome). Currently, the template of the most numerous culture in the region regardless of integration status is taken. This is a confirmed bug.

Apparently, they not only fixed it so that the most numerous integrated culture decided the Levy. Instead, multiple templates may apply in an averaged/weighted fashion if multiple integrated cultures are present.

So the interview I mentioned earlier where it's clearly suggested that pop type (as well as pop culture affects) levies is this one:

The relevant section is at 07:15.

Exactly how culture and pop type interact to determine levy composition remains unclear. For instance, if I want my heavy infantry to light infantry ratio in my levies to increase, can I do that by increasing the number of citizens of an appropriate integrated culture that has citizens linked to heavy infantry contribution (e.g. Macedonian or Roman)? Or are ratios fixed based on culture alone? I would ideally hope the former is true, as it offers another interesting and historically accurate level of complexity to shaping one's armies.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I find legions to be a mixed bag. Some countries like Rome, Egypt, Seleucids and Maurya are simply better suited for legions because they have regions with very high populations that can support big legions. Other countries will always struggle to have the numbers to have a big legion and are better suited to go with the levy/mercenary combo. So overall I'm happy that they're turning mercenaries into an alternative to legions.
I like that too! So there is an alternative viable playstyle (levies plus mercs and maybe one legion vs. multiple legions -> maybe combined with some levies and mercs). And the two playstyles have their upsides and downsides.

Reactions:
So the interview I mentioned earlier where it's clearly suggested that pop type (as well as pop culture affects) levies is this one:

The relevant section is at 07:15.

Exactly how culture and pop type interact to determine levy composition remains unclear. For instance, if I want my heavy infantry to light infantry ratio in my levies to increase, can I do that by increasing the number of citizens of an appropriate integrated culture that has citizens linked to heavy infantry contribution (e.g. Macedonian or Roman)? Or are ratios fixed based on culture alone? I would ideally hope the former is true, as it offers another interesting and historically accurate level of complexity to shaping one's armies.
As far as I understand it, the ratio in each cultural template is fixed.
There might be situations where you lack a sufficient number of citizens/nobles to levy, which could cause the ratio to shift towards basic units.

Reactions:
Snow Crystal just said on the live stream that the characters health bar will be removed in 2.0.2

Nice. Better if it means we're getting a CK3-style health indicator - i.e. general idea of whether character seems fine, ailing or on their deathbed etc.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Advanced Strat:

When coming to your post, my mind for moment though you have ported a famous song to IR...and lets now all chant :)

"If you are happy and you know it...change a law"
"If you are really happy and you know it...create a legion"
" If you are really, really happy and you know it....move your capital"

• 7Haha
Reactions: