Imperator: Rome - Heirs of Alexander and 2.0 Marius Announcement

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I hope we will get some nice video tutorials again like we got for some previous patches. Especially with new UI and major system changes (levies, legions, etc.)

I would expect Bactria to get a mission tree in an Indian expansion along with other trees for Maurya, Chola, etc. It would make the most sense considering they're the Indo-Greek kingdom.
Bactria is a predecessor of Indo-Greek Kingdom not this kigdom. IMO best way would be to provide some missions and flavour to Bactria in this DLC with the possibilities to expand north into the steppes, south towards India and westwards conquering Seleucids, maybe even eastwards to China. Additionaly for the Indian DLC continuing the southern Path with some late-period missions for Bactria transforming it into Indo-Greek kingdom with the final missions to conquering the whole Indian sub-continent.

That would be terrific. Quite sad that Paradox didn't use this opportunity.

This is great news. The UI overhaul alone is worth the price of a DLC.
As far as I understand that part is for free... luckily. Otherwise the price would be increased from 35.00£ upwards only. Not sure if that would be worth it just because they didn't do it in the first place.
Although... I've never really complained on the UI.

Bactria is a predecessor of Indo-Greek Kingdom not this kigdom. IMO best way would be to provide some missions and flavour to Bactria in this DLC with the possibilities to expand north into the steppes, south towards India and westwards conquering Seleucids, maybe even eastwards to China. Additionaly for the Indian DLC continuing the southern Path with some late-period missions for Bactria transforming it into Indo-Greek kingdom with the final missions to conquering the whole Indian sub-continent.

That would be terrific. Quite sad that Paradox didn't use this opportunity.
I agree those ideas sound really cool, but imo they wouldn't be consistent with a content pack which is focused entirely on the Diadochi. Like you have Egypt, Thrace, Macedon, Antigonus, Seleucus... and Bactria. One of those is not like the others.

Reactions:
I've owned and played Imperator : Rome since it's pre-launch, I've watched it mature and also been frustrated at it's "bugs" . . . I have only one wish . . .

I hope that the time and energy put into Version 2 will address more of what didn't work out well and put players off than give us new "pretty pictures and names" because this game has more than enough for it to still be played a decade or more from now, posters often cast distortion on it's "greatness", go back to Rome : EU / Rome : Gold and see how far it has come.

The game needs stability.

I am really happy this game was not abandoned like MotE. I have increasingly high hopes for its future.

• 4Like
Reactions:
View attachment 676805

Salutations, conscript fathers; free people of the republic, and honored travellers from distant lands.

Today marks a special moment in the storied history of our great journey. A moment spoken about in whispers for many moons, and which has been the subject of that most abundant of deep and meaningful questions:

When?

At long last, the cloak of secrecy may be cast off - for the omens augur well.

It is my pleasure to announce to you that the 2.0 Marius Update and the Heirs of Alexander content pack are to be made available to you on the 16th February 2021.

While we still have more to show you in the dev diaries leading up to release, today’s post shall remain short and (subjectively) sweet. I shall leave you with the full information regarding the release below.

The career of Alexander III of Macedon was short and brilliant. In his decade-long war in Asia, Alexander’s fire burned a legend into the hearts of kings and conquerors who would follow. His death, however, meant civil war as comrade turned on comrade in an effort to claim the sacred mantle of the fallen king. Do you have what it takes to be the true Heir to Alexander’s legacy?

Paradox Development Studio and Paradox Thalassic are happy to announce Heirs of Alexander, a new Content Pack for Imperator: Rome. Focusing on the successor kingdoms to Alexander the Great’s empire, this Content Pack adds greater depth to playing out the grand ambitions of the Seleucid, Ptolemaic, Antigonid and Macedonian kingdoms.

The Heirs of Alexander content pack includes:

Unique Mission Trees
: New special mission objectives for the Antigonid Empire in Anatolia, Seleucid Empire in Asia, Ptolemaic Empire in Egypt, Macedonia and Thrace.
Shared Mission Tree: Diadochi-themed mission objectives available to all of the Successor Kingdoms.
Wonder Designer: New tool that allows players to build their own custom monuments, adding bonuses to their location or to the entire empire.
New Events: Various Historical Events based on the history and legacy of Alexander’s followers.
New Deities: Regional gods and goddesses from the Hellenistic kingdoms.
New Treasures: Distinctive artifacts from the Hellenistic kingdoms.
New Music: Three new music tracks to inspire your Successor Kingdom.

Heirs of Alexander will be available at major online retailers on 16 February 2021 for the suggested retail price of $9.99/£7.19/€9.99.

This content pack will be accompanied by a major free update. The 2.0 ‘Marius’ update to Imperator: Rome is a significant reworking of the military system in the game, adding new features that transform war and army management:

Levies: Draft levies from your provinces to fight your wars. Their size and composition is based on the cultures and population types in the province.
Legions: Advance your military technology to create standing, professional military forces to guard your empire. But beware of their cost and tendency to follow disloyal generals.
Military Histories: Legions and Mercenary units have histories that will list their accomplishments over time, earning honors or penalties based on their legacies.
Engineers: Special cohort to help with sieges, river crossings and road building.
Changes to Inventions and Military Traditions: Radically overhauled invention system - unlock new abilities alongside old inventions, and shape your civilization like never before.
Diadochi War Goal: New large scale conquests available to Hellenistic kingdoms to better model the ambitions of Successor rulers.
UI Overhaul: Completely reworked interface to make options and decisions more intuitive.
And much more: New unit models for levy and legion units, new port construction options, changes to forts and deities.

You can find further information here, upon the storefront of your choosing:

Steam
Microsoft Store
Plaza
GoG

Not that I am complaining about ANYTHING. This is ABSOLUITELY WONDERFUL. I love you guys, will buy this and most probably change my Steam review from negative to positive,.

However, just asking; will the update include any changes to Military bonuses? It kindah seems logical to go along with the army and military tech updates...and many tradition bonuses are so baffling. Starting Light Infantry bonuses may be helpful in some cases, but they're doubtfully doing much for Epirus. Also, why would anyone boost LI late-game.

I am not even sure actually how will the Military Traditions go along with this update.

Last edited:
New Deities: Regional gods and goddesses from the Hellenistic kingdoms.

Any chance for a spoiler for what this includes? :D

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Been waiting for the 2.0 release to see if I should pick the game up as I only found out about it a few months ago. Most of the 2.0 DDs looked interesting, but there doesn't happen to be any demo for the game, right? Asking because I primarily play on a Mac (and the bug reports forum suggests lots of playability issues on Mac) and also because I can't quite figure out if I'd enjoy it or not. I like Stellaris and CK3 but really hate EU4 and this game seems like something in the middle.

Also, for some reason Steam has IR marked as Early Access (bit odd for a game going on 2.0), which is probably why I didn't notice it earlier.

Been waiting for the 2.0 release to see if I should pick the game up as I only found out about it a few months ago. Most of the 2.0 DDs looked interesting, but there doesn't happen to be any demo for the game, right? Asking because I primarily play on a Mac (and the bug reports forum suggests lots of playability issues on Mac) and also because I can't quite figure out if I'd enjoy it or not. I like Stellaris and CK3 but really hate EU4 and this game seems like something in the middle.

Also, for some reason Steam has IR marked as Early Access (bit odd for a game going on 2.0), which is probably why I didn't notice it earlier.
Caution, the game does not support integrated graphic cards, that rules out most of Macs.

AFAIK, those tags aren't steam-decided: Users attach tags (not sure if they are completely free and can create their own or if they pick from a list, but supposing the latter to prevent misuse and focus things) to games which they think describe them best and Steam uses then some simple math/complex algorithm to display the most popular choices. So while agree that IR being labeled as early access is odd (and IMO unfitting), I have no problem to explain it - enough players being dissatisfied with IRs current state just air their dissatisfaction by calling the game unfinished (partly because they honestly believe it will mature to something good, partly because there is likely no "unfinished game" tag they could pick instead)

Reactions:
For all your efforts, for all your sweat, hardwork, team meetings, long days and late nights you have my money. Great stuff from the new team and I hope you get the recognition you deserve.

Reactions: