Help us improve Europa Universalis!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
  • 53Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Filled it in. As a feedback, it's hard to say which game is best at a certain thing without playing those games. For example I heard that Victoria is good at population management, but I haven't played it, so I can't confirm. EU4 doesn't have pops in the first place, so can't really answer that.
Your answers to these questions might be a bit skewed because of that.

• 11Like
Reactions:
You didn't list the Purple Phoenix DLC in the list your favorite DLC question. :(

That choose 5 of your favorite things to do in EU4 was brutal.

• 8Haha
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Filled it in. As a feedback, it's hard to say which game is best at a certain thing without playing those games. For example I heard that Victoria is good at population management, but I haven't played it, so I can't confirm. EU4 doesn't have pops in the first place, so can't really answer that.
This, I felt exactly the same way.

• 12Like
Reactions:
You didn't list the Purple Phoenix DLC in the list your favorite DLC question. :(

That choose 5 of your favorite things to do in EU4 was brutal.
I think most people fit into one of three camps though, roleplayers (who generally love history and want to explore alternate history)(My camp), multiplayer competitors, and "optimizers" (people who want to exploit mechanics to the fullest and do WC speed runs and such)

Reactions:
The questions obviously confirmed eu5. They are trying to avoid IR mistake again, gathering info of what the player base wants the most in eu5.

Im glad youre listing to the community before deciding which direction you take the game to

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think most people fit into one of three camps though, roleplayers (who generally love history and want to explore alternate history)(My camp), multiplayer competitors, and "optimizers" (people who want to exploit mechanics to the fullest and do WC speed runs and such)
I love history, thus i want to relive history.
Simple as.

• 15Like
Reactions:
But it is also really impossible to rank when most of the things aren’t separate.

When picking a game to play I generally try to do four things, in no particular order:

- Secure their historical borders
- Achieve their historical ambitions (ie win the Hundred Years’ War as Englandconquer the Balkans as Russia)
- Complete the mission tree
- Fill in a couple achievements

And not necessarily in that order.

My dream next step for EUIV (even as a last step before EUV) would be and entire DLC with all the coding etc time spent fixing bugs and cleaning up the UI with the content developers building more mission trees so every major tag has at least a couple branches of unique missions and every region has a regional set (with a bit of spare time cleaning up idea groups or specific areas of the map that need work).

But I also know that such a DLC without any new mechanics probably will not sell well on Steam due to a lack of “ohh shiney” from most people.

• 4Like
Reactions:
On Page "Game Aspects":

"16. Please rank the game aspects based on which one you want to see most of."

Which number has the highest ranking? 1 or 5?

*edit: It's 1 I suppose.

Reactions:
When picking a game to play I generally try to do four things, in no particular order:

- Secure their historical borders
- Achieve their historical ambitions (ie win the Hundred Years’ War as Englandconquer the Balkans as Russia)
- Complete the mission tree
- Fill in a couple achievements

I like to play them as historically acurrately as possible until a point of divergency.
This point is usually a historical defeat or lost opportunity, where instead i attempt to succeed and then change history from that point onwards.
Examples:
-Playing the Ottomans historically until the Siege of Vienna
-Playing Sweden historically until the Great Northern War
-Playing France historically until the 7 years war
-Playing Spain historically until the the 30 years war
etc...

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
I'd second the fact that certain questions are very hard to answer if you havent really played certain series. Especially things such as the population question, I think the generally accepted consensus is Vicky 2, but I havent played that nearly enough to even make any call on that. Same goes for, in my case, internal politics. Maybe CK is very good at that but I dont know since i havent played it.

Reactions:
For me the survey is impossible to complete because of these questions. I have selected the option "Have not played" for ck2, hoi4 and vic2 and the "less than 100h" for stellaris and imperator(less than 10h would be more appropriate in my case). And still it asks me which of these and other games is best at something. And just leaving the answer blank doesn't allow me to continue the survey. IMHO you can't answer the question without playing at least 100 hours in these games and so games which I played less or not at all should not even be options in these questions.

Reactions:

Yes and also I don't know what dlc does what since I started playing recently with all dlc.

Fun survey though!

Reactions:
Formulating a question is already framing the answer. I for my part was missing some questions. E.g. when it comes to the one thing I'm interacting in every single game, regardless of tag or region. The AI.

I'm just giving you a climpse of what I mean:

Which game hast the best AI?

If pdx created a free patch for EUIV, which would you prefer:
  • Provinces
  • Events
  • Bugfixes
  • AI Improvements
Compared to a human opponent, how would you rate the AI of the following games? (from 1 to 5)

How much would you say a competent AI contributes to your enjoyment of the game?

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I think it's very jarring that one of the main motivating aspects of this era, maritime trade and it's associated concerns like finances, navies and naval logistics are so underrepresented in this game. I personally don't expect EU4 to be simulationist like Victoria2 but aspects of maritime trade, trade routes and balance of free trade and mercantilism leaves a lot to be desired. "Trade" tab of the game is very empty and requires a lot more attention, at least as much as "government" tab.

Of course the game also needs a better AI, which understands its own finances and power balance at the very least.

• 2Like
Reactions: