• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cakes1517

Private
71 Badges
Feb 19, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Pillars of Eternity
Short summary of your issue Ironman Game Progress Not Saving

Game Version 1.0.2

What OS are you playing on?
Windows

What platform are you using?
Windows Store

Do you have mods enabled? No

Have you tried verifying your game files (Steam only)?
(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

How much "pain" is this causing you?

Please explain the issue you experienced in the most condensed way possible
At a certain point, I saved and quit to desktop (A). I resumed playing some time later, and when I had finished, did the same (B). When returning once more, I found that all the progress since (A) had not been saved. I then proceeded to play again, and saved and quit to the main menu (C), but found that all the progress in that time had also been lost, and was reverted back to (A).

Please explain how to reproduce the issue
Unknown

Is there anything else you think could help us identify/replicate the issue?
My auto save option is a grey shield with a question mark with the 1066 start date (my game hasn't even reached 1066 yet).

• 10Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
One possible solution is to allow Crusader Kings III as an exception in your antivirus/firewall and disable Ransomware feature.

Please, try this solution and report back so we know if we have to troubleshoot further.

One possible solution is to allow Crusader Kings III as an exception in your antivirus/firewall and disable Ransomware feature.

Please, try this solution and report back so we know if we have to troubleshoot further.
I'm also having this problem, and this doesn't fix it, also as someone mentioned that it could be a problem with autosaving, I turned autosaving off in the settings but the game still autosaves despite that.

Likewise on gamepass, no matter what I do (any amount of exits / autosave frequency etc) it will revert to a single date - the same as OP's point A. Endlessly frustrating

Firewall doesn't do anything

• 2Like
Reactions:
I've tried everything I read here and other things. Renaming the last_save.ck3, reinstalling the game, firewall, every variation of autosave and even pulling out my internet connection but nothing seems to work, and after 200 years of playing now I can't progress at all.

Edit 1: Also the game often just skips autosave and does nothing just moves forward.
Edit 2: Sooo I've tried to play around with the last_save.ck3 a bit more. If I put the save file in the saves folder and press on the load button then move back and press it again then it usually lists the save with the correct date (but never when I open the save selection menu for the first time). That's good and all, and it might be a temporal solution (basically saving via exiting to the menu and overriding the save in the folder with the last save file) but now the game just crashes every time... :(

Last edited:
I have the same bug on the Game Pass version, the game says it saves but it seems to corrupt as it gets uploaded to the cloud. When you return to the main menu it reverts to the earlier cloud version.

The file "last_save.ck3" does get correctly written so you can move it to the "save games' folder and play the local save. If you delete the earlier cloud version and play the local save, the save shows up as corrupted when you try to load the game after you return to the menu. It does not save to the last_save file either so you continuously have to move it if you quit out of the game. And you're screwed if you forget and load up the game via Resume (which does show the correct king and save) and it starts the earlier cloud save.

Crusader Kings III 04_09_2020 03_38_37.png

I can confirm that when the issue first occurred exceptions were made to CKIII already, so this is not a viable workaround.

I'm still trying to find the Game Pass equivalent folder of:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\####\1158310\remote\save games

If anyone has found it, please let me know.

More detailed information based on Davidinho's and Morton04's research:

If you have a Cloud save file that is constantly rolling back, here are some steps you can follow for a temporary workaround that changes the file to Local save:
  1. Locate last_save.ck3 in C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III
  2. Copy last_save.ck3 into a backup folder somewhere, such as on your desktop.
  3. Copy last_save.ck3 from your backup folder into C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\save games
  4. Play using Load and choose last_save (Do not use Resume)
  5. Exit the game, and repeat steps 1 through 3.
  6. Back to step 4 when you're ready to play again.
Additional Information:
  • If you want, you can rename last_save.ck3 to Something_More_Appropriate.ck3, but if you do, you'll have to rename the new last_save.ck3 every time you exit.
  • Keep in mind that if you forget to follow the steps above and resume, you will roll back again, and an autosave will overwrite your progress. If this happens, use the backup created in step 2 so recover your file, though you will still lose your most recent progress.
A couple of notes for the devs: (cc: jakeowaty)
  • My autosave files (autosave.ck3, autosave_1.ck3, autosave_2.ck3 and autosave_exit.ck3) have not updated since I played the tutorial on 9/1. I am assuming Ironman mode disables these, so this may be working as intended.
  • The new game I started with Ironman on and Cloud saving off is correctly updating its save file on exit.
  • My original game I started with Ironman and Cloud saving on will not update its save file under any circumstance. This includes both the original file (still Cloud enabled) AND the new file created from last_save.ck3 (which is no longer a Cloud file). Neither file creates autosaves.
  • Unfortunately, this workaround does give players a means of circumventing the rules of Ironman, since players can create and rename as many copies of last_save.ck3 as they want, and Ironman will remain enabled.

Last edited:
  • 13Like
Reactions:
More detailed information based on Davidinho's and Morton04's research:

If you have a Cloud save file that is constantly rolling back, here are some steps you can follow for a temporary workaround:
  1. Locate last_save.ck3 in C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III
  2. Copy last_save.ck3 into a backup folder somewhere, such as on your desktop.
  3. Copy last_save.ck3 from your backup folder into C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\save games
  4. Play using Load and choose last_save (Do not use Resume)
  5. Exit the game, and repeat steps 1 through 3.
  6. Back to step 4 when you're ready to play again.
  1. Thank you. Your workaround solved the issue as well. I've should have searched beforehand.
Additional Workaround:
PsExec rewrite app-package / executable permissions will fix the issue as well.

This issue HAS to be somewhere rooted in your manifest file for the app-package at deployment, file architecture is / permissions for the entire app-package user-scope causing crashes, network connectivity.

Different issue, same cause: /forum/threads/ck3-on-xbox-game-pass-windows-store-with-windows-firewall.1417372/#post-26868487

Last edited:
  1. Thank you. Your workaround solved the issue as well. I've should have searched beforehand.
Additional Workaround:
PsExec rewrite app-package / executable permissions will fix the issue as well.

This issue HAS to be somewhere rooted in your manifest file for the app-package at deployment, file architecture is / permissions for the entire app-package user-scope causing crashes, network connectivity.

Different issue, same cause: /forum/threads/ck3-on-xbox-game-pass-windows-store-with-windows-firewall.1417372/#post-26868487

Could you go into more detail about this?

Having the same problem as well, I have jsut lost probably 8 hours of play from yestarday and I'm not sure if i want to start a new game until this is fixed. Very frustrating.

Not sure if this is important but when on the launcher I hovered over the resume and the pop up came up it had the right date and time but it still loaded the old save.

Oh and the save it reverts back to is from around when the patch hit and game pass tried to update the game but couldnt as i was playing.

Last edited:
This does not only occur to auto savegames in Iron Man Mode but also to manual savegames in normal mode (running on Xbox Game Pass).

Since I tried to start the game again like 30 minutes ago the game crashed at first startup. It's now loading again and I can play the game fine but I can't save at all anymore, the game is only creating corrupted savegames that can't be loaded. This happens with every existing savegame I have so it's pretty much impossible to continue my playthrough. The game worked perfectedly fine until just like 10 hours ago (played for like 8 hours straight) so something must have happend in between.. This is endlessly frustrating and pretty much destroyed my gaming weekend. The latest "patch" seems to be completely fucked up. Thanks, Paradox... :mad:

corrupt_savegame_xbox.jpg

It sounds like disabling cloud saves is the current work-around which means my current save is RIP. That's a pretty big bummer, but I'll start a game with someone in a similar area at a similar land rank and go from there. Also note to self: Don't play/idle for 8 hours straight before checking a save and reload

So it is on record:

Summary
Ironman save file locked at specific save-state

Game Version
1.0.3 currently, but game started on release day

Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit

Platform
PC - Windows Game Pass

Mods
none

Pain threshold
8/10: lost several hours of progress, twice

Description
Same as everyone else

Reproduction
Launching the game launcher from the windows start menu (not through Game Pass), then clicking "Resume" from the launcher. Repeatable.

Attachments

• last_save.ck3
    16 MB · Views: 0
It sounds like disabling cloud saves is the current work-around which means my current save is RIP. That's a pretty big bummer, but I'll start a game with someone in a similar area at a similar land rank and go from there. Also note to self: Don't play/idle for 8 hours straight before checking a save and reload

So it is on record:

Summary
Ironman save file locked at specific save-state

Game Version
1.0.3 currently, but game started on release day

Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit

Platform
PC - Windows Game Pass

Mods
none

Pain threshold
8/10: lost several hours of progress, twice

Description
Same as everyone else

Reproduction
Launching the game launcher from the windows start menu (not through Game Pass), then clicking "Resume" from the launcher. Repeatable.

How did you disable cloud saves? I've been looking for it but haven't been able to find it.

Have you tried copying the .ck3 file to the saves folder? Might still be salvageable if you haven't loaded the cloud save yet.

Follow the instructions in my previous post. That will convert the save to Local.

Aside from that, the only way is to start a new game and uncheck Cloud saving before you begin.
That's not an option for me. I'd rather just play something else or wait for a proper fix than starting over again. Savegame bugs are completely unacceptable. So people want to tell me that nobody tested cloud saves before release? Ridiculous. Working savegames are absolutely essential to have fun with any game. Until yesterday I would have given CK3 a 9/10 score, today I'd give it a 1/10 score with this shit going on.

• 5Like
Reactions: