HOI4 Bonus Diary! - Modding & 1.9 Patchlog

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I may have missed it but has the bug where Canada fascist tree cannot align Mexico been fixed? It bypasses if Britain does not enforce loyalty but if Britain does enforce loyalty then you can't pick the focus anyways. I think it was skewer the eagle focus or something.

- If pasting in whole of Tolstoy's "War and Peace" into MP chat the game will no longer crash

This one made me laugh.

By the way, does this mean that the bug with ship armor/engine defaults is not fixed??? I see no mention of it.
Is the issue where default ship templates overwrite historical ship templates for MtG owners fixed? I don't see it in the list...

I'm not sure, but there's this line, which might be a fix for that:
- Fixed create_equipment_variant not setting modules in correctly in some cases

Neutral ideology can now be externally boosted

Oh yesssh

- India and Pakistan will no longer go to war 100% of the time

I think Jawaharlal Nehru would be a more fitting leader for an independent India instead of a random generic leader. Like how Mohammad Ali Jinnah always leads independent Pakistan.

- Italy can now do Pact of Steel without being Fascist. Luis Maria Martez is now using his unique portrait.

Thank goodness! Time to unite the Kaiser and Victor Emmanuel III under the Pact of Steel.

Also, I hope AI China finally becomes more competent in defending against Japan, especially once all the malus National Spirits are removed.

Good work, @podcat and crew. :)

What stood out the most to me was:
- Superior Firepower tech soft attack bonus changed from 20% to 10%
- dynamic tags will now not get random names on their national spirits or if they have cosmetic tags on anything.

Looks like the patch alone is going to be pretty good!

One question - is it possible to give multiple countries the same Alias?

@podcat
I'm happy to see the Italy float plane change, but what about the battlecruiser glitch? I didn't see anything about the battlecruisers being counted as battleships. This is a well known and well reported issue that I don't see in the change log. Current forum post is here.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...anes-japan-kongo-class.1270762/#post-25973236

""In the files, the Kongos are coded as battlecruisers. The problem, as I believe I said, is that hulls have defaults which, if present at all, override coded modules (Shown: Heavy Hull 1):""

Both games I've seen from this logger bring one thing to mind: I wish something had been done about what the AI does when it peaces out the Soviet Union. Germany full-annexing everything or Siberia becoming border gore hell are not satisfying. I know it's secondary to most people, but the way the peace deal logic works makes my head hurt.

@podcat

- Air superiority now scales from 0 to max penalty for enemy from the 50/50 state rather than giving the side with >1% advantage most of the benefit right away

You prob with this mean air support bonus ( cas present bonus ) not air superiorty?

I concur with an earlier post. Please tell me you've dedicated some time over the last 11 months to Ai production, its shocking rn in terms of building tanks and ships.

Reactions:
Both games I've seen from this logger bring one thing to mind: I wish something had been done about what the AI does when it peaces out the Soviet Union. Germany full-annexing everything or Siberia becoming border gore hell are not satisfying. I know it's secondary to most people, but the way the peace deal logic works makes my head hurt.

Unfortunately, don't count on this happening anytime soon.

Podcat described this as a "huge undertaking" on Twitter(Note: use of quotes here denote his exact words). Frankly, I'd expect to see this maybe two years from now. It seems we get about two new systems per expansion, following the new model established by Man the Guns. We get one free with the update, and one exclusive to the DLC. In Man the Guns, this free component was the fuel system, and the paid component was the naval rework. In La Resistance, occupation and resistance rework is the free system, while intelligence is the paid one.

A huge issue with the game right now is the AI's inability to handle supply. Also even just from a competitive MP and singleplayer standpoint, many players have requested fleshed out logistics. I believe a logistics and supply rework will come before a peace deal rework. So, in following the model, it's likely that the free system added in the NEXT DLC after La Resistance will be a supply and logistics overhaul, with the paid component being either a defensive/land warfare overhaul, or wunderwaffen(the odd one out will be the paid component of the following DLC I predict). As such, then it would logically follow that the free rework in the DLC following the next one will be peace conferences. If the current trend holds, and without an increase in the size of the HoI 4 team we have no reason to expect it to change, that would place a supply/logistic rework to about one year from now, and a peace conference rework to about two years from now. This is my prediction, at least.

not fixed altho on our list. Its actually tricky because the whole system needs to run on synchronized ticks for attack/defense... so I cant promise a fast fix as we havent figured out the best way to solve it yet
Maybe give us an option to enable night operations but at a penalty to sortie efficiency? After all, we can do that with normal airbases.

Alternatively, set the day night cycle to be the same for the pacific and the atlantic, for carriers specifically. It might be unrealistic, but at least it won't be as absurdly imbalanced as it is now. And having the day-night cycle be realistic and different for various timezones doesn't seem to actually add much to the game. It would hardly be problematic to set the time in all places in the world to be the same, and keep the same day-night cycle for every place in the world.

Last edited:
That moment when the patch is called after the event that is linked to the country which did not get its focus tree...

As for the history logger, it is a bit worrisome that Germany gets defeated already in 44...

Would it be possible to elaborate more on the "Some MP exploits have been fixed?" I'm curious if it's more commonly known stuff like double doctrines(wasn't this fixed in MTG?) and overbuilding a state's build/infrastructure slots that get complained about a lot, or if it's other stuff I haven't heard about.

That moment when the patch is called after the event that is linked to the country which did not get its focus tree...

As for the history logger, it is a bit worrisome that Germany gets defeated already in 44...
Well actually that makes sense. They could have been defeated much quicker