HOI4 Bonus Diary! - Modding & 1.9 Patchlog

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This one literally made my mouth open with a gasp.

Control + Alt + Click to open script files

You can use control + alt + click in debug mode to open script files for things like focuses, ideas, decisions, events, researches and spirits

View attachment 546209

Here is an example of editing an existing focus. As you can see we also improved reloading so focus tree is no longer scrolled to default position when you change a focus!

- Fixed it so 3D jet plane models can appear
- Added ENG Meteor jet plane model

We truly live in the greatest timeline right now.

- Salchak Toka of Tannu Tuva now has a unique portrait

This makes me unreasonably happy. I'd been hoping for it ever since nearly every other starting leader had his portrait added, but I honestly never expected to get it! (Alternate response: Salchak Who of Tannu What?!)

Thank you so much for the patch! I can't wait to see all the new features/fixes in action!

- Superior Firepower tech soft attack bonus changed from 20% to 10%
- Shock and Awe tech soft attack gets an additional 5% soft attack to all fighting battalions

Seems like an overall nerf to SP, especially in the beginning. Might be time for me to try out Grand Battleplan or Mass Assault now.

There are fixes regarding carrier planes in the list. Is the problem also fixed, that the carriers are only half as strong in the Pacific than in the Atlantic, because there is only one sortie per day there, since 8:00 and 16:00 are both at night and thus omitted, while they are in daylightin the Atlantic.
not fixed altho on our list. Its actually tricky because the whole system needs to run on synchronized ticks for attack/defense... so I cant promise a fast fix as we havent figured out the best way to solve it yet

3d models of jet aircraft only for ENG or also for the rest of the powers?
Germany had one also. Dont quote me on it because i didnt check but there is a generic also that might be the meteor with different skin. THis was a crazy intern guy who wanted to learn how to work on our games so its a bit left field ;D

Reactions:
It would be nice if collaboration governments were a free feature since then they could be used in mods like Kaiserreich
this is the spy operation where you get collaborators behind the scenes. so it wouldnt work without the rest of the spy system

Reactions:
In WTT you used event targets for nations like China to decide who was the real China. We’ve done the same for nations in EaW. Would you recommend now using tag aliases instead? They look super useful and powerful.

Also, do they replace the country’s old tag or would scopes for that tag still work?

We haven't gone back to change it but today we would probably use a tag_alias, yes.

As long as the country exists, its original tag is still valid. Tag_aliases are just a lot more robust to get you the tag you actually want.

Reactions:
- Fixed aces killed on actions not being fired
Finally this bug dating from 1.4 can be taken to the glue factory, how about the corresponding news events?

Ooo, cool. As I recall, pvt.conners, the news events themselves weren't the problem, the problem was that they were never triggered, I think @bitmode was one of the people I talked with about this, and they found that the triggers didn't seem to be used at all in the code.

Related, but I want to know if random female ace creation will now work properly. Previously, event-created female aces used the correct portraits and pronouns in news events (I had a screenshot once of Amelia Earhart shooting down an enemy ace), but randomly generated ones used male portraits&pronouns in the news events. That flaw had been present since release.

This isn't some kind of political correctness issue, the Soviet Union had some female ace fighter pilots, as well as many decorated female bomber pilots as well, and they even have a national focus for it. It's plausible too for some countries, like Australia, and the UK, to have alt-history female pilots (historically they had female ferry pilots flying aircraft from the factories to the airbases, and also transport aircraft, so...)

this is the spy operation where you get collaborators behind the scenes. so it wouldnt work without the rest of the spy system
Maybe I missed something, but I thought that I can just setup collaboration government when I reach 100% compliance in occupied states without doing any spying? Portuguese Macao would be example of that - or are there two approaches and 100% compliance in the free patch but spy mission approach is not?

This is awesome!

One question I had: I thought I saw state based attack and defense modifiers in the Spanish civil war dev diaries, but I don’t see it here. Am I missing something?

Also, are resources hard coded? If a mod has a new resource, can we make similar scopes commands and modifiers to the new ones?

Attu island will now correctly become a core if the US grants Alaska statehood. Paradox apologizes to all current inhabitants of Attu island for this oversight
Finally now the USA will gain an additional 20 recruitable population. This great injustice of not having attu island a core has finally been reversed. Best part of patch to be honest :p. Game is now playable again.

First of all: WOW, really great job. The changelog is really amazing.

- xp gained on air wings in combat now scale with actual amount of planes in combat

I wonder if this will make impossible to farm hundreds of air XP with only a few volunteers?

- Entering close combat tactic phase is now a lot less likely unless in urban fighting

I was thinking about it and for me IMHO urban should have only close combat, nothing else.

- Superior Firepower tech soft attack bonus changed from 20% to 10%

Superior Firepower really needed a nerf. The other branches were pathetic compared to it before, which IMHO was absurdly ahistorical. SF is the american branch, and American performance in the western front wasn't nearly that amazing, if you subtract the fact that they had total air superiority. Don't believe the movies/games, there were plenty of cases where americans surrenderer in the western front, they were not superhuman .... Soviet Deep Battle and Blitzkrieg were arguably superior doctrines (and were similar actually).

- Rebalanced carrier fighter disruption and fixed bugs with its calculation

I hope carriers are useful again!

- lowered screen ratio for navies from 4 to 3

Good change.

- Fix a bug about research bonus not being correctly saved, if the research just started.

This bug was driving me crazy ...

- Italy should now start with the correct level of floatplane launcher in 1936 if MtG is enabled

No more free floatplanes 2 then? :)

By the way, does this mean that the bug with ship armor/engine defaults is not fixed??? I see no mention of it.

Example bug report (there are multiple ones): https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...1-8-2-bb-ship-armor-module-is-bugged.1328711/

- Germany now less interested in helpign italy push into france

Also important, they lose too many man pointlessly in the mountains.

- moved various Tungsten deposits in India to Burma. Total amount of Tungsten remains the same; all tungsten moved remains under RAJ control at game start.

Good that part of my suggestion was heard. I still think all of the rest should be applied too: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...source-location-fixing.1185434/#post-25524806

AI now remembers the focuses and decisions it/enemies took while deciding who it should consider as enemy

Does that mean Germany will no longer gun for a Czechoslovakia trying to turn fascist?

Salchak Toka of Tannu Tuva now has a unique portrait

Good, now all that's left is EDWYN BARCLAY of Liberia, the only independent African/black-skinned leader across the timeline.

Hoping he gets a portrait in the next free patch!