• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Trunting

General
90 Badges
Apr 14, 2012
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For the Motherland
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Age of Wonders
  • Victoria 2
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • 500k Club
It will at least take until 2022 until Aow 4 gets released. But since Planetfall brought many new features, I would like to hear, which ones you would like to see in Aow4 and what else you would like to see in the game?

This time the devs should definitely learn to show more respect to the invincible Dark Elves! ;) - I'd like to see the return of the Wizard Tower and elf city invisibility in forests. I think AOWSM was the best of the series and AOWIII overdid it with the possibility of having good orcs and evil elves. I liked racism in the game, it forced each race to be unique. All that with the incredible random map generator of AOWIII would already be fantastic. I am nostalgic of Shadow Magic there you have it.

Not sure if you I should agree or disagree with you there. I like being able to play good orcs and evil elves! But I'm really missing some mechanics from shadow magic. Most notably the dark elves, transport vehicles and invisible cities and that kind of stuff. It feels a bit that they turned down the complexity and diversity of the game in some regards (transports, invis cities, teleportation gates and wizard towers) at least partly to make the AI better. And thats a shame imho :(
But the combat system of AoW3 is so much better than SM that I don't really want to go back.
For an AoW4 I wish for more asymmetry between the races/classes, I think they are on a good way in planetfall unit wise but city building still is the same all over. I would like it if one race could have cities growing in sectors, another one grows in domains like AoW3 another one get's all resources within reach of a wizard tower and yet another one has to run around the map flagging resources (like in Shadow magic), or maybe that could be dependent on your specializations or class (another thing I like in AoW3 that SM didn't have)
Also i wish for a return of the strategic unit enchantments (maybe can be mixed with planetfalls mod system) and of course optional underground and shadow layers

- What you say about city building diversity recalls me of Rise of Legends, where the same overall game economic concepts are dispatched differently between districts, depending on the faction. Not the same Temple, Builders' Hall, etc, anymore.

- A little "smarter" A.I. in combat. In AoW3, once provoked, the A.I. goes "wild". It doesn't return to a wait and see attitude, and eventually stays on guard when it's about to die. At least, if no smart rules can be found, inject some randomness, so that a high-defense unit in the front line may _sometimes_ decide to stay on guard for one round, etc. (the same way as a defending A.I. may sometimes decide to stay on guard instead of moving).

- More refinement on tactical maps: high ground, stairs to get on walls, redoubt or roofed towre to protect defender against flying units. Some leaders and units can invoke obstacles. Also, fortification could have more faction flavor.

- More complex and diverse siege battles. An additional kind of siege map, "bastion" that would be an hybrid between current AoW3 and old AoW2 (walled bastion on three sides, city in the fourth direction, and more "life" outside of the wall); perhaps it would be used when a non central hex is attacked. A central hex would use the current AoW3 siege map. Defenders could have in-combat reinforcements ("combat summons", not unlike current game mechanics).

- More refinements on unit models: machines and workers would get servants, faction flavor for machines, workers and boats/transports.

- Influence of obstruction and distance on some effects. Currently, those parameters only reduce damage, not the chance of inflicting an effect. It's odd to still have 60% to freeze a unit when the damage is reduced by more than 75%.

- A new hybrid campaign/scenario/rmg mode where leaders could carry through some items, like in Disciple II and Warlords Battlecry III (and others), and also some units (the retinue). As these units would soon be champions, rmg startings would be tuned accordingly.

Last edited:
AOW4 based AOW3 and combine a 64bit engine,and 3-4+ new class better like the Necromance expansion design.
Also a leader would choose path like Dnd rules not only good or evil.

The Age of Wonders series has been great! I created and managed the long thread on the old Triumph forums regarding requested features for Age of Wonders 2: Shadow Magic. What inspired me to keep managing the thread was when a developer posted a quick response saying something about this being good information and keep it coming. Anyways below are my suggestions for taking AOW_4 to the next evolutionary stage which will be successful, loved and crush competitors.

Recommended AOW4 Game Features:

1. Allow the "option" of more map levels such as Dungeon Map Level 2, Dungeon Map Level 3, Shadow Map Level, Mirror Map Level, Cosmic Map Level, etc., etc., . This option can be disabled by default yet allow the player to add them before a game is created or within the game editor.

2. Do not be afraid to add something when it's an "OPTION".... adding something as an option will always bring more smiles to your gamers because people who want the old style can simply disable the option. Also if there's game bugs gamers have the option to disable broken features until you fix them.

3. Improve the AI of computer opponents... I recommend having multiple AI personalities which will prevent human players from predicting what the computer will be doing. One personality might make random decisions, another might focus on blitzing nearby targets, another might build large stacks to attack, another might use concealed troops, another might focus on gathering mana and research on the map, etc., etc., . As developers you would have fun having the AI personalities you each created fight during testing. During the game setup players can have random personalities chosen or choose to select them for each opponent. This can be taken a step further by allowing gamers to create custom AI personalities as well which has been successful in other games.

4. Here's suggestions for new race trees: Pirates, Reptiles, Insects, Demonic, Angelic and Aquatic.

5. A game option which allow heroes on the same team of different sex possibly have a child hero. Allow a spell so the child can become an adult within 5 days and become a hero as well. Allow a magical pond where a child can be brought which instantly blesses the child into adulthood. Allow an altar inside cities so evil enemies can sacrifice the child for a powerful spell or casting points. Allow some monsters which can eat a young child making the monster unit more powerful.

6. Bring back the wizard!! I loved having a wizard... the only problem with the wizard in AOW:SM was he couldn't gain experience, moved slowly and he was required to be in a wizards tower to spread your domain. All these variables basically turned the wizard into a couch potato. Have a wizard which can evolve, gain experience, move as fast as heroes and players will love it. If you're concerned bring wizards back as an option at first and see what gamers enjoy.

7. Remember the best way to handle anyone complaining about a feature in your game would be if there's an "option" to remove the feature.

Here's also a list of things you should avoid:

A. Do not decrease the map sizes. Having more "options" is always good because if a bug exists within one of the options we can simply avoid that option until it's fixed.
B. Do not try mixing science fiction and fantasy fiction because nobody wants a cybernetic vampire wielding a laser gun while drinking a mana potion.
C. Do not push any WOKE agendas. Plenty of proven history regarding "Get WOKE, Go BROKE".
D. Do not push any political views. Whatever your political views keep them out of the game otherwise you might upset and lose a large percentage of your gamers.
E. Do not include any major or critical new features unless there's an option of it being disabled. We all remember the pains of the "automatic surrender" from AOW2:ShadowMagic.

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It is hard to find things from planetfall, I like more than AoW3 (and I do like scifi as much as fantasy settings). I like the idea to equip certain troops with fancy stuff to make them better. I always liked limitations due to ressources you don't own. Perhaps something like special rare ressource nodes (i.e. to build lvl 4 units) you need to own at some time, could add some spice. The only thing I don't like in AoW3 is the final flooding with lvl 4 troups, making all earlier units nearly useless. Perhaps lvl 4 units should be more scarce(harder to obtain) but scarier.

I do like the idea of a dedicated siege battle screen. Make the siege engines or creatures with siege capabilities more useful. We have certain defense structures in AoW3 cities, why not build real defense structures after you finished walls?

Certain race animosities could lead to AI leaders attacking each other, if they meet. Imagine a PBEM game, where you know exactly, if you meet orcs, they will attack you! (or love you because of your played race, as long you don't turn on them)

I love neutral groups and races, offering units for your course. Perhaps each race has less different units, but (modable with research) and you fill your ranks more often with units from random neutral sources. You could try to attract certain species with quests or offerings at some points/spots in the game.

Tigrans must be! What a game without cats?

Some things that I don't want.
I don't want zergs in Tolkien-like world. Just no way they were out of place in AoW SM and I'm happy there's no bugs (OK accidental pun) in AoW3.
I don't want fixed regions like in Planetfall. This can be OK in Planetefall but AoW3 has much more objects on the maps to control over so expanding the borders of city control zone was on of the main ascpects of the game. How it made in Planetfall with growing colonists and adding whole regions is just awfull. It's hard to understand all this additional buldings and their upgrades. I played for tens of hours and still have problems with that.
I don't want ugly tech-tree like in Planetfal when you immediatelly research 2-3 thing each of them has a half-page long description. It's just impossible to remember anything beside very few things you really must have or "this upgrade give +20% damage". +20% damage? OK I'll will research it. Any side effects? Who cares attacked units don't live so long to take any dots in accout.
I don't want a gun or vehicle to be the only real equipment for heroes like in Planetfall. Because I like RPG aspect and picking some legendary things. Where's my mythrill armor with +3 Def?

What I feel like a problems in AoW3?
1) The absence of racial 4 level units. In fact Rogue class doesn't have even racial variations of one 3rd level class unit. Simply overpowered elemetal.
2) I don't thing that classes were bad idea they're common in fantasy games but in AoW3 they're really "ortogonal" to races. They often dublicate what the race have (Tigrans' Shredders inflict bleeding by default and Archruid imperial upgrade is useless for them and etc). Why build racial 3rd level military structure which produces fragile eagle riders or sphinxes if you have Warlord's Warbread researched? Rogue's elementals with 60% physical resist just elimenate any racial 3rd level unit. I think there must be only one tech tree of unit-producing buildings. If you plays dwarfs you build one structure and can produce standart dwarf heavy infantry and cannons with tanks in you play Dreadnougt. So if you need class unit you build class units not universal supersoldiers some classes give to you.
3) Spell researching is overloaded with Empire upgrades, increasing of cast points and class units. So there's no reason to learn most of the spells. There's always something more important. And you learn a spell at least whole turn. Why the palyer can't learn 2 60 RP spells if he has 120 research?? Deviding researches in 2 groups like in Planetefall may be good but it's just an option worthing to discuss.
4) Cities require more precise production management. It's common when you want to build somethin which costs 100 but has only 98 prod point? Why I can't regulate if I want more production points to build some units in desired temp or more resourses?
5) Heroes overloaded. They can shoot their bolts. attack in close combat, cast spells, use support abilities but only one thing per turn. And why cast a spell when your hero can do direct damage? So everybody is a sniper. Close combat with flank attacks and many pole arms unit are just no way till final round. How to fix? May be give them ability to cast spells not spending all action points or spending only one. And for wizard may be even 2 casts per turn so one wizard hero could buff their army not doing to much of direct combat. Cheap spells like "Star Blades" (or what it's name I play non-English version) mix good with that.
6) Exp. from touching abilities. Changed with mods. In single-player game I don't exploit it since I don't want to waste my time when I have 10-15 minutes for doing everything in on strategecal turn.
7) AI in combats. It simply ruins autocombat. I've to replay too much battles. It's priority should be saving units for stronger side. It's strange to have couple of units dead when attacking some gold mine with 3 1st level defenders.
8) Killing of Heroes. In PvP games losing a hero and it's equipment can be the end of the game. I guess that's why heroes are like 2nd level units in strength and can reach level 3 units may be at 10th level with some of artifacts. And there's very few really strong artifacts. +2 Res means legendary artefact. But this leads to keeping heroes as safe as possible. What the heroes they're after that? Losing heroes in autocombats resulted in ressurection option. May be add an option for resurrecting heroes with their eauipment in player's capital for some resourses like in WarCraft 3? But this will lead to inablility to pickup tonnes of good stuff from AI heroes. :(
8) Artefact craft. Useless. I used twice to make a heeling kit. Giving a hero new sword with +2 Atk doesn't worth tonnes of gold and mana spended. And on big map you will find something better soon.

What can be discussed?
1) Unit enchantments. I think I understand why this thing was moved to combat-spells. But I can't say that I use it very often. And usually I use ultimate spells like Healing or Protection sphere. May be Bless. But again why buff one unit with Star Blades when you do direct damage by casting Magic Fist and etc? This thin was reintroduced as unit upgrades in Planentfall with only 3 slotes for upgrades so rare cosmite that casting it to every unit like I did in AoW SM is not possible. I think it may work in AoW3-like game with only one spell per unit restriction. And give heroes ability to cast spells on strategic map as it was in AoW 1. May be with rectrictions to 1 hex around. So heroes could buff their armies while the leader more oriented on global staff like summoning or strategical spells. This can solve the problem with useless mana in early game. In later game keeping unit enchantments will compete with building high level units which requre mana and upkeeping strategic spells.

Classes should be more unique with a distinct play style.

Warlord (or AoW4 equivalent) should play like AoW3, leading the front lines directly but with very limited magic.
Wizard should play like AoW2, ruling from their towers and casting powerful spells all over their domain.
Rogues should lead BEYOND the front lines, destroying enemies from within.
Theocrat could travel from city to city to convert the population to bolster his own faith, which he can use to call down miracles...or judgement on the enemy.
Druids can't own cities directly (still control as vassal), but use hordes of beasts to overpower their enemies.

Also more unique units for each race. Now every Warlord gets horse archers, so I think it would be cool if each race/class combo has a unique units; ie. Orc Warlords get berserkers, while Dwarf Warlord some heavy armored unique unit and Elf Warlords get a powerful archer.

I think Planetfall has introduced lot of good ideas that make the game better and that should work also in fantasy settings.
One of the remaining problem with the series is that the factions are too similar to each other at the release and updates needs to add more unique flavor to them. I wish in future games the races and classes will be designed to have more unique gameplay from the start. For example Theocrat may focus on converting units rather than producing them. Kind of like we had already in AoW3 but this ability should be unique for Theocrat players. So you can't be Warlord, recruit Theocrat hero and convert units while still mass-producing manticores.
And units should be more unique too. I understand that every race must have their version of pikeman, archer, cavalry but make them stand out more. Instead of boring elven infantry give us something like AoW 2 Bladedancer. Or Swashbuckler instead of boring human irregular. And give us racial T4 units in addition to class ones.
And find a way to have units occupying multiple hexes so things like juggernauts may look massive.

Last edited:
What I feel like a problems in AoW3?
I won't oppose thereafter any feelings nor suggestions, just trying and justifying or explaining how AoW3 currently works from a non competitive SP player's point of view, without any experience with Planetfall.

3) Spell researching is overloaded with Empire upgrades, increasing of cast points and class units. So there's no reason to learn most of the spells.
Spell offer is not overloaded because each category of spells is represented in the spellbook (e.g. it's always possible to research one or several combat spells). It is up to the player to prioritize the research, depending on how the game is conducted on a strategic level. The same applies when choosing RG bonuses. I interpret this as follow: if you feel like urged to max empire upgrades, class units or casting points, then those skills have to be important, for sure, and you are also certainly prioritizing them over tactical and strategic spells. But it's your choice, and it's certainly possible, if challenging, to postpone the production of a class unit a few turns to get a class spell before.

4) Cities require more precise production management.
Can't Haste Production solve this problem? As for other production management, I find myself that I often neglect the potential of Build Housings, Research Mana, even Produce Merchandises, to tune this management more finely. E.g. stopping production in several cities to enable one critical production in one city.

5) Heroes overloaded.
One thing that is non user-friendly in AoW3 is the limited number of action icons on the top bar. The UI should be revised as it is not handy to open the unit panel to access the 12th ability... At least, allow the player to choose which ability can have its icon (kind of quick slots).

6) Exp. from touching abilities.
I try to maximise experience when the fight is not very risky. But I don't understand why not every "combat summon" or any unit created during a fight wouldn't grant experience like any normal unit. Sure, this would increase the total experience you might gain in combat, but this would be only natural, imho. Currently, units that are resurgent, animated, ... don't all provide any experience, though their opponent fight (and train) for real!

8) Killing of Heroes.
Autocombat may be in fault here, but killing and looting heroes is a valid tactic. Except for very tanky heroes, they shouldn't try and oppose mighty units one-to-one. Heroes shine when leading an army that suits them. I would be against saving their equipment, or at least, as in Warlords Battlecry, they could possibly retrieve equipped (slot) items only, and their backpack (utility items and non equipped items) could be looted, and in this case, even for leaders who are sent into the Void.

9) Artefact craft. Useless.
I never use the forge but others do. Perhaps this is mandatory when using auto-combat?

10) Unit enchantments.
At first, I was upset by the differences with AoW2 (also the single combat spell per round). I've came to live with them, and I could now justify the shift by arguing that you could use Unit enchantments like a fire-and-forget spell, back to AoW2, only as far as your mana income would permit it. In AoW3, provided you invested in those casting skills, you can unleash a great deal of magic dependent on the stored amount of mana, not the income (for the same effect). This is not inferior or superior, this is different. As for unit enchantements in AoW3, I guess that everybody agrees on their tactical usefulness, as they basically grant any affected unit one or several rank or even tier. The fact that the player has to choose between several spells on each round makes for another subtle level of tactics.
Another aspect of AoW3 that helps living with the new system are the empire upgrades (either class- or avatar-related); they sometimes are like "unit enchantements" for a whole category of units.

This can solve the problem with useless mana in early game.
I never have enough mana in early game: always a scout unit to summon, then to sustain. Even as a Warlord, I can always cast a combat spell whenever I need it.

Good points, Rodmar. I agree with most. The artefact craft is far from useless, but it could be made more useful (and costly to compensate for more power) in a AoW IV. I use it in about every second game, offering certain boni (don't know the english names), the hero can't come up with on himself.

What changes form Planetfall you would like to see in fantasy based Age of Wonders 4?

Would you like to keep the hit/graze/miss mechanic? Or do you prefer it like in AoW 3 when you always hit (unless you fight those damn halflings!)
Flying units having their own layer in tactical combat? Or have them only flying when they move like in AoW3? Would a real flying be overpowered in melee oriented combat?

If you dislike the halfling luck, you seem to dislike not hitting at all. ;) I prefer the always (with rare exceptions) hit method too, because it is much easier to calculate your turn.

There isn't much in planetfall, I would see as an improvement. Some of the ranged combat features like guarding an area are nice. The research in Planetfall is worse, you always get the exact same (limited) choices at any given point of the game (boring). In AoW3 you get set options and random choices to choose from, which is much more fun than always the same. The sector/diplomacy system is just different, perhaps even limiting, because your options to move your units are more limited due to the sectors in Planetfall. I don't see an improvement here. I prefer the open world in AoW3. Perhaps more possible subterranean levels would be nice. The more to explore, the better. Perhaps an airlevel in the sky could be added, with flying isles and magical cloud stuff as a third layer in the game.

I liked the neutral races spiced up a bit in Planetfall. Perhaps they should be even harder to conquer in AoW IV.