• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

THE-Black-Knight

Recruit
1 Badges
Mar 15, 2019
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
The return of the Wizard Tower. Of course the Dark Elves too, because AOW III was useless without them. Also I hope for a map that is a little more romantic than the Planetfall one, which feels unnatural with all those stylized icons everywhere. I want to be honest i am not a huge fan of Planetfall, sorry to say that. Not sure if it is the sci-fi setting or what. Just put Dark Elves who live in forests full of huge trees and can hide in invisible towns like the wood elves in AOW2 - I also liked those red poisonous plants. Dark Elves should be immune to poison and should use those as a defense. Make a romantic map, like that one in The Lord of The Rings and we'll be friends again. Planetfall feels cold and unnatural.

Rodmar18

Lt. General
8 Badges
Sep 19, 2018
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
Of course the Dark Elves too,
In case you don't know, there's a mod that adds a Dark Elves faction, and a big one that adds a Shadow Elves faction (the campaign is still WIP but the RMG material is usable.

The lore in it is that there is no Wood Elves nor Dark Elves anymore on Athla because of the Mending initiated by king Saritas and queen Julia to unite again the surface elves and the underground elves of the Cult of Storms. They now form the High Elves (some more woody, some more darky, plus all the ancient elves that once were Wood or Dark Elves).

The Shadow Realm mod states that when Meandor left Athla for the Shadow plane, his troops mainly were Dark Elves, but some Wood Elves followed him as well. And there, severed from Athla as they were, they too initiated a "Mending", and this time the dark heritage was the strongest. You won't find queen spiders and incarnates, but the mod is definitively worth the try for an amateur of the Dark Elves.

Damkac

First Lieutenant
7 Badges
Jun 8, 2018
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
Personally I never understood why every fantasy game needs to have 15 different races of elves. I would rather see some original races that are creative and well... fantastic ;)

Rodmar18

Lt. General
8 Badges
Sep 19, 2018
European folklore? ;)

ljósálfar = Light Alves = good faeries = angels
dökkálfar = Dark Alves = bad faeries = demons
svartálfar =
Black Alves = chtonian faeries = dwarves

HobbitCheeseMonger

Recruit
4 Badges
Sep 27, 2020
  • Dungeonland
  • War of the Roses
  • Magicka 2
  • Age of Wonders III
I think it would be neat if they either added as a seperate mode or to the core gameplay more diverse and in-depth resources such as food, water, wood, stone, etc. and ways to manage them. I really love the game as it stands but that would scratch another 4x itch for me.

BeltarTheLion

Private
Mar 29, 2020
In Planetfall we've resource for diplomacy. Anybody use it for anything other than buying minor factions' units or making them leave the desired places? And why we can't do that just for money? Because AoW if you play against AI is not about diplomacy and human players don't need any "diplomatic resource" to make local "Game of Thrones". From other side in Planetfall heroes have only weapon (or vehicle) as an equipment which ruins treasury hunting and that's sucks. Because treasury hunting was one thing we love in AoW3. When in AoW 3 unit gets higher rank it's an Event. In Planetfall we've no shining medals over the units just barely visible chevrons on the units' icons and very limited ranks system without any interesting abilites for elite unites. And that sucks too because rank system is another thing (unique thing) we love in AoW3.

In fact even AoW3 has more things to control than any HoMM game. There're more types of collectable resources in HoMM games but there's no such things as production control, new units just appear in the castles every game week. No happines control, no territorial control. AoW 2 had no territorial control too and it was OK for everybody. But in AoW3 it was not just added it was added with a lot of treasury buildings over the map so it can be important to expand city's border or build a fortress to get some desired resources.

Why AoW would need wood and stone? And how it can be fitted in it's universe with Elves who live in forests and Tigrans who live in steppes where's no forest at all?

Rodmar18

Lt. General
8 Badges
Sep 19, 2018
AOW2 had a kind of resource extra that AoW3 doesn't have: city fields for all factions. Build you city in a narrow pass between two mountain ranges, and see how its gold income is reduced.

1. Perhaps in AoW4, surrounding terrain would matter, and not only to city happiness (Goblin cities surrounded by swamps).
  2. Factions could have flavor resources sites (stone quarry, gold mine, forest lodge, farm, ...) in the sense that they would each earn something slightly different from them (i.e. Dwarves would benefit more form stone quarries and gold or iron mines). This could be an inherent faction property, or be chosen through the equivalent of Racial Governance tree in AoW4.
  3. In the end, all physical resources would be converted into gold (and happiness, and pop growth, if relevant), as in AoW3, because I figure that this would make simpler to balance the economy and the production. Let's assume that stone, wood, ... are sold before you get them in your stockpile. Too bad for the 4X!
  4. Factions could build a limited number of "minor", flavored resource sites to fleshen out their city domains a bit. I believe I remember that one of the VMODs add this option to builders. As terrain would matter more, perhaps those minor sites could depend on the terrain around the city (e.g. Dwarves could build a small gold mine on a mountain hex, Elves could build a small forest lodge on a dense vegetation hex).

Also, AoW4 could generally speaking separate more terrain and climate, and develop their interaction with units and factions:
  • There would be "climates" and "seasons", the later being lesser versions of the former. The idea is that, over a game, the world would experience a shift in "climate + season" equivalent to the annual cycle of seasons. A desert in summer would be less forgiving than a desert in winter (to keep it simple, it would be more hot). Currently, modders have to make climates shift between tropical, volcanic, arctic, temperate, etc. It's quite extreme to account for normal weather.
  • There could be more terrain hazards (rain, sand/dust storms, impaired regeneration, temporary slowdown, ...). Currently, I'm not sure all of these effects can be implemented smoothly, if at all.
  • Factions could be affected by terrain more in detail (not only moral modifier, and foraging/fishing): Elves would hunt in dense vegetation (foraging), Humans and some others would get impaired regeneration on noxious climate and swamp terrain, etc.

THE-Black-Knight

Recruit
1 Badges
Mar 15, 2019
Somehow my suggestions always end up getting implemented. Whether it is by chance or not, that is enough for me to keep making them.

PLANETFALL what I like:
1) The diplomatic system.

2) The map that tries to be realistic. Instead than an area surrounding cities like in previous installments of AOW, the map tries to look like something from real geography with each area having name.

3) the overwatch concept in tactical combat

4) The Master of Orion resource system ...oops and the fact that the shortage of cosmite forces players to build tier 1 units.

What I don't like:

1) All those UGLY icons on the map when I zoom out!!! Make it look like the maps in the Lord of the Rings!!!

2) I don't like the fact that I can only build a city in the center of those areas. I miss the fact of choosing the exact spot for my city.

3) I miss the underground

4) I miss the way I would identify with the leader of my nation. In Planetfall spells (operations) can be cast even if he has been killed, So things go on even without him?

5) Also resurrection makes no sense by the way, he's not a wizard. Oh well, Sci-Fi just doesn't work for me.

6) Teleports SPOIL THE GAME. Every kind of teleporting system even if you cal it relay or whatever SPOILS THE GAME AND BREAKS THE SUSPENSION OF BELIEF. NEVER IN ANY MOVIE YOU GET ARMIES TELEPORTED, units maybe ARMIES NEVER!!! Strategy is about MOVING armies in an intelligent way without being able to fix mistakes by just teleporting them.

---

What I would suggest for AOW IV - A system where if the leader dies his/her children would become leader if he/she has any. In other games (some versions of Total War) marriage and succession have been implemented well. A culture, an empire don't just disappear because a leader dies. Of course children could not be as good as the father.

"Migrate" a city means mass murder
- That should be more clear. Some creepy image maybe should make us aware of that. I have played AOW for years without realizing it, and just found it was more convenient to migrate than absorb. Never realized why my empire every once in a while would just turn on me. And I am quite a veteran of this games.

Not all races should have the same reaction when facing a new war. Orcs should be used to it and not suddenly showing a bad morale malus. Same when their leader betrays his allies. Races should be special that way and not only be affected by specific spells (or social improvements). For examples war against elves and orcs should excite dwarves, Orcs should never get a negative bonus about any war, humans and elves could get motivated by a just war and so on...
I found really dumb in AOWIII the possibility of having "good" orcs. WTF orcs hate dwarves and dwell in blood!

If you don't put Dark Elves in AOW4 I will never play this game again. As simple as that.