• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #162 - New Diplomatic Features

Hello everyone!

Today we thought we’d talk about some of the smaller changes coming to diplomacy with the free 2.6 update. Although the Galactic Community and the reworked federations are sure to have a large impact on galactic diplomacy, it's also important to talk about the smaller things!

Envoys
One of the more important things we’ve added are the Envoys. Envoys function very similar to Diplomats in EU4, and they are required for certain diplomatic actions such as:
  • Improve / Harm Relations – it is now possible to send an Envoy to improve or harm relations which can affect Opinion by up to (-400 / +400 ). More on Opinion and Relations later.
  • Assigned to Federation (to increase monthly Cohesion by +1)
  • Assigned to Galactic Community (to increase Diplomatic Weight)
upload_2019-11-28_10-28-45.png upload_2019-11-28_10-29-6.png upload_2019-11-28_10-29-20.png

Although Envoys are characters, they do not currently have any character-mechanics such as traits. We didn’t think it would be fun to have to micromanage and switch Envoys around to better fit certain jobs depending on their traits.

Diplomacy Interface Updates
We’ve finally gotten around to give a bunch of diplomacy-related interfaces a facelift! First up, let’s talk a little about the general diplomacy screen.

You are now able to more clearly see things such as Civics, Origins, Relative Power breakdowns, your ongoing diplomatic agreements, and also the new diplomatic stances!

upload_2019-11-28_10-30-2.png

This Hegemonic subordinate was kind enough to act as a model for the new diplo screen!

upload_2019-11-28_10-30-30.png

Declaring rivalry never looked so appealing.

upload_2019-11-28_10-30-57.png

The diplomatic offers are now a bit more clear on what is going on (not final text). A downside, however, is that it's now much harder to fool colleagues into becoming your vassal in our internal multiplayer sessions.

Diplomatic Stances
Sometimes we like concept that our colleagues have put into some of our other games, and the diplomatic stances from Imperator: Rome were a good example. Although not exactly the same, we like the general idea. We wanted empires to be able to set a diplomatic stance that dictates their behaviour towards other empires on a galactic stage.

upload_2019-11-28_10-31-19.png

Diplomatic Stances are Policies and can be changed once every 10 years. There are a bunch of different stances, and some may also be unique to certain empire types (e.g. Isolationist is called Mercantile for Megacorporations).

upload_2019-11-28_10-32-17.png upload_2019-11-28_10-32-7.png upload_2019-11-28_10-31-55.png upload_2019-11-28_10-31-37.png upload_2019-11-28_10-32-27.png

Stances are designed to be quite different, and to facilitate different playstyles. Perceptive readers might notice that the Belligerent stance seems very similar to Supremacist, and that is true, except that Supremacist stance is designed for all empires that want to be “a big player”. Supremacist empires will dislike other empires with the same stance, so it is almost like a soft rivalry of sorts.

Stances also have some effect on internal politics, as some of your factions may have certain preferences when it comes to your foreign policy.

Relations and Opinion
We wanted an easier way to measure how the diplomatic relations between two empires is doing, so we’ve added a new aggregate value called Relations. Relations exists in different levels ranging from Terrible <- Tense <- Neutral -> Positive -> Excellent, and they do have an effect on which type of diplomatic actions that are available.

We want diplomacy to be less fickle, and more mechanical. Players should now have more ability to influence what other empires’ opinions are of them. Overall diplomacy should feel less static and more prone to evolving over time.

Form Federation requires Excellent Relations, and pacts like Migrations, Research or Commercial require Positive Relations. Similarly, Rivalries require Terrible Relations. This is also the case in player-to-player diplomacy, so it’s important to maintain a good standing.

Some of these restrictions can be bypassed by having an Envoy to harm or improve relations.

upload_2019-11-28_10-32-53.png

Favors
Finally we want to talk about Favors. Although Favors were primarily added to give players agency within the Galactic Community, they can also be used to influence the AIs likelihood of accepting certain diplomatic agreements.

upload_2019-11-28_10-33-11.png

Favors is a new mechanic that allows you to increase your Diplomatic Weight for certain votes or proposals in the Galactic Community. An empire can owe another empire up to 10 Favors, and each Favor will increase Diplomatic Weight by “10%”.

For example – Empire B owes 10 Favors to Empire A. Empire A spends influence to call in all 10 Favors and adds 100% of the Diplomatic Weight that Empire B has. Empire A will add the Diplomatic Weight from Empire B, for a specific vote, without Empire B losing their Diplomatic Weight.

In effect, Favors allows an empire to manipulate vote results towards their point of view. It is not possible to Call in Favors when an empire is already voting the same way as you are. Multiple empires can call in favors from the same empire, and it's designed in this way to reduce the complexity of having to figure out which favors should have priority, or which favors should matter more.

upload_2019-11-28_10-33-30.png

Pretty please. You owe me.

In addition to the Galactic Community, Favors can also be called in to increase acceptance chance by +5 when offering certain diplomatic deals.

Favors can be gained through diplomatic trades, or or some cases randomly through events.

---

That is all for this week! Next week we’ll be back with some more details on the Juggernaut and the Mega Shipyard.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It's possible to knock a Supremacist back down to Belligerent by humiliating them.
Is it possible to force an empire with Isolationist stance to be more open? As in, can I flood space China with opium as my space British Empire?

Why does Isolationist stance increase Border friction so much? One would think other empires are at least neutral to having a neighbor that does not wish expand on them. Plus you already get bad relations from having closed border anyway right?
Isolationists don't want to talk to it's neighbors. So, if there are pirates hanging around attacking trade ships (to minor to be an actual effect, just enough to be cause of diplomatic incidents), the isolationists will blame the neighbors, while the neighbors blame the isolationists.

(edited to remove the factually incorrect part)

Last edited:
Man, this has to be one of the most content rich and interesting updates in a while, and the depth this adds in diplomacy was needed and is very much appreciated.
I am super hyped, and knowing that bug fixing and performance are going to have the attention they need on top of getting these new features, needless to say, I'm happy with the paradox I see here, and will purchase the next DLCs!

Sorry for the long post, but here goes:
- Is the insult mechanic still there now that you can use envoys to harm relations? I still love me some insultin'!
- Speaking of depth; there could be some new diplomatic actions that tie into different mechanics in the game, like, say, the ability to create international trade routes after a commercial pact, that allow for closer connections between two empires, but could later even involve other empires, causing its value to rise, effectively creating a multinational extremely valuable silk road (that could maybe be plundered by players for major spoils and negative diplomatic impact on all nations involved, allowing you to impact other economically aswel). It could even somehow tie into the galactic community system or federations, who knows!
- Now that we're talking about diplomacy, can we talk about system transfer trades with AI? I find it important to be able to do so; it is specially thematic that a megacorporation could be able to purchase systems, or that pacifists could be able to take systems in such a peaceful way. I really don't want to have to declare war on a friendly AI to take a system when I'm roleplaying, so addressing this particular feature seems like a good way to add RP potential and different ways to expand, specially now, in relation to the new features.

Isolationists don't want to talk to it's neighbors. So, if there are pirates hanging around attacking trade ships (to minor to be an actual effect, just enough to be cause of diplomatic incidents), the isolationists will blame the neighbors, while the neighbors blame the isolationists.
Besides, border friction is what you get from claims - if someone that does not wish to talk to you has an claim on your system, wouldn't you be a little nervous?

Border friction is what you get from owning a system with a hyperlane connection to another empire. Claim relationship penalties are something entirely different.

On a separate note, how fast do envoys tick up or down? +400/-400 is a lot, but can I get to that maximum in 10 years? 20? 50?

Will there be any new peace deals? I really wish I could end wars with something beside taking systems or humiliation. Like forcing the enemy to disband their navy, or change their policy, stuff of that nature. Also, demanding resources!

(edited to remove the factually incorrect part)

I guess it depends if the isolationist is expanding or not. If they don't expand, then the border friction must be dropped I think, but if they do claim and expand it should stay there.
Thus I think isolationists should have a larger relations penalty on claims only.

Anything about betraying allies during a war? Being stuck in a war because the AI derped out is one of my favourite reasons to ragequit and not play the game for a couple of month.

Multiple empires can call in favors from the same empire, and it's designed in this way to reduce the complexity of having to figure out which favors should have priority, or which favors should matter more.

Is this not potentially exploitable? E.g. you want to pass vote for option A, you give 10 friends 10 favors each, and cast your vote for B, but all your friends cast vote for option A. Effectively you just voted with 9x your weight for option A.

B will still vote Nay with their 120 Diplomatic Weight. The favors and influence expended represent some behind the scenes wheeling and dealing. (This also avoids a situation where you as a player are forced to vote against your will, or where the first person to call in favors has an advantage or disadvantage.).

I don't like where this is going. It means you can multiply your own diplomatic weight by just giving favours to empires you know are going to vote in your favour (no pun intended).
Quick example. A,B and C are minor powers with 100 DW each. Their combined 300 DW will not make a difference in how the community will vote. Now each of them gives 10 favours to the other two and immediately uses the ones they got. Now they have somehow trippled their DW to a whopping 900 combined just by wheeling and dealing within themselfs. If they can get a fourth DW 100 power to cooperate in the same way they have a combined 1600 DW and so on.

This might not matter too much between minor powers, but a DW powerhouse with a vassal swarm can just multiply it's own DW by the number of Vassals and dominate the Senate.

Owing a favour should always have negative consequences because you gain someting for giving them away.

Will there be new technologies?

The Xeno smell terrible. (And more importantly, it reduces relations with empires that are encroaching on your territory, similar to how the Xenophobe Fallen Empire reacts.)

Wait, so it's _the isolationist_ the one who will get Border Friction towards the neighbors, not the other way around? So if I'm an Isolationist Inward Perfection, I'll get -100 from Border Friction to the Blorg but they won't get it?

B will still vote Nay with their 120 Diplomatic Weight. The favors and influence expended represent some behind the scenes wheeling and dealing. (This also avoids a situation where you as a player are forced to vote against your will, or where the first person to call in favors has an advantage or disadvantage.)

This is admittedly hard for be to abstract, but I guess it makes sense in a gameplay perspective.

I don't like where this is going. It means you can multiply your own diplomatic weight by just giving favours to empires you know are going to vote in your favour (no pun intended).
Quick example. A,B and C are minor powers with 100 DW each. Their combined 300 DW will not make a difference in how the community will vote. Now each of them gives 10 favours to the other two and immediately uses the ones they got. Now they have somehow trippled their DW to a whopping 900 combined just by wheeling and dealing within themselfs. If they can get a fourth DW 100 power to cooperate in the same way they have a combined 1600 DW and so on.

This might not matter too much between minor powers, but a DW powerhouse with a vassal swarm can just multiply it's own DW by the number of Vassals and dominate the Senate.

Owing a favour should always have negative consequences because you gain someting for giving them away.

You can only ask Favors from Empires voting against you.