UW Raven FP "Prototype" drop limit(s)? [Potential reply spoilers]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Istences

Sergeant
7 Badges
Feb 23, 2018
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
Huargh, so I was fortuitous enough to get an Orion within the first 50 days of my new UW career, so needless to say, it is starting off well. Looking at the Flashpoint, I see that it has drop restrictions. I really want to crash the FP down early so I can have, hold and cherish the Raven for ~90% of my functional career, so if anyone would...uh, could you tell me what those restriction(s) are? Have not been able to find them yet.

Since it is the beginning and I have prioritized the scoring basics, my build times are still extremely long, and light mechs now only occupy 3 out of my 6 cubicles. No need to spoil anything else, but after almost being screwed over months ago with that Marik alliance FP (still completed the second one only dropping three with two badly damaged, but I NEVER want to try that again in Ironman)...I just *need* to know whether I should sit on it until I have two bays with at least four well-built lights, or whether I can take it on immediately. o_o;

Played this last night (on an existing save).
The restrictions are , 200t max and 55t per mech max.
There is one consecutive drop, so you might need a spare too.

Fun FP, Cost me one of my best pilots though and a totally wrecked Firestarter (only the head left). It's 5 missions BTW so allow a bit of extra time.

It's an excellent showcase of all the new features too.

Played this last night (on an existing save).
The restrictions are , 200t max and 55t per mech max.
There is one consecutive drop, so you might need a spare too.

Fun FP, Cost me one of my best pilots though and a totally wrecked Firestarter (only the head left). It's 5 missions BTW so allow a bit of extra time.

It's an excellent showcase of all the new features too.

You are my hero. Thank you! Looking forward to it...five missions, holy wow!

(Also what is Marik's fetish with tonnage limitation jeez.)

From what I've seen so far, a lot of UW flashpoints are meant to be early-to-mid game, with the same tonnage limits.

I did this one as my first UW flashpoint with a post-campaign save, so I had excellent pilots averaging 7-8 on sklils, with upgraded versions of the Dougram mediums (Shadow Hawk, Griffin, and Wolverine), and it worked out to be a pretty even match despite being 35 tons underweight - a perfect little gap for the Raven to fill on other weight-restricted FPs, as it happens.

I did have to replay the fourth mission though, but there's a bit of a learning curve to using the Raven well, and your approach direction makes a tremendous difference.

First one that popped up in my new career game - Except it is on the opposite side of the map from where I started - would probably go bankrupt if tried to fly straight there and I am still in starter mechs
Will have to let it expire and hope it reshuffles at a better time and location

Oh yes you are right, my bad in the earlier post.

Your right to the mech choices/builds suck. Took me nearly 45 mins to complete and I nearly bungled. Griffin was almost dead, as was the Javelin almost too, the Raven was legged and the Treb had no ammo left. Might of been cause it was after midnight on a workday but it took me a while to figure out how to you the Ravens ECM properly. (hint reserve down to last and stay out of sight of the turrets (or kill the turrets first)

For the last mission, instead of heading upward from the starting point, I tried going left and approaching the base from "below" on my second attempt. It let me start popping turrets with the ground reinforcements on the other side of the base, and when they started showing up, they were spread out enough that I could focus fire on the leading Locusts immediately. Without the Locusts getting in close, the rest of the defenders were practically helpless.

In any case, definitely prioritize the turrets and Locusts. A Locust inside your ECM bubble + Sensor Lock from the turrets pretty much negates your missile defense, which otherwise leaves the defenders resorting to spray 'n' pray tactics. And don't forget about using the active probe to ping targets for your own Griffin and Trebuchet.

Last edited:
What I find most ...
...ridiculous about this Flashpoint is the concept that the Raven is some sort of highly guarded secret. I haven't finished it yet, but at this point I've encountered several different OpFors that are sporting Ravens in their lances. I've already put one together from salvage and have another one in storage. Assuming that the rare light mech reward at the end of this is a Raven...it's just plain ridiculous.

What I find most ...
...ridiculous about this Flashpoint is the concept that the Raven is some sort of highly guarded secret. I haven't finished it yet, but at this point I've encountered several different OpFors that are sporting Ravens in their lances. I've already put one together from salvage and have another one in storage. Assuming that the rare light mech reward at the end of this is a Raven...it's just plain ridiculous.

Yeah I had that exact same problem on the second mission in the FP. I didn't get a whole mech but did get 2 pieces from the 2 mechs on the field. I guess RNG for the win, but it does kind of break the immersion of the story being told.

Hatchetman doesn't work that way either (or at least it didn't when it dropped; no idea if it has changed since).
there was an update that changed it so the hatchetman doesn't appear until after the FP (or a predetermined date I believe, whichever is first).

Yeah
I had that exact same problem on the second mission in the FP. I didn't get a whole mech but did get 2 pieces from the 2 mechs on the field. I guess RNG for the win, but it does kind of break the immersion of the story being told.

But, at the end of the flashpoint, it was nice to have all my "reverse engineering" of how it works to be confirmed by the "how it works" tutorial...

Yeah I had that exact same problem on the second mission in the FP. I didn't get a whole mech but did get 2 pieces from the 2 mechs on the field. I guess RNG for the win, but it does kind of break the immersion of the story being told.

I played my first procedural since the UW install and faced a 2 Javelin 2 Raven lance first thing. Ended up with 2 raven parts as salvage since I only chose 2/8 salvage in negotiating.

Haven’t even seen the FP referenced in this thread pop up yet.

So, the RVN's mechdef is missing the name of the FP complete tag. It has a date restriction of 1-1-3027 but no tag restriction.

I'm going to add the "fp_uw1_complete" tag to the RVN in our initial 1.6 cFixes release and hope that should fix it. It seems like they intended to, as the tag restriction field is present, something only found on the HTC and RVN, but nothing is in the field.

The urban biome is a pretty damn new experience, especially with how much of a difference the height differential now makes. Height accuracy bonus + Urban biome + stray shot is a gamechanger that I'm genuinely excited by. It did however mean losing my starting Commando because of a combo of not really having a good feel for the biome as well as feeling pressured to save all those half-armour 'mechs.

The thing that did for *me* on the last mission of the Raven FP was assuming the stealth field got reapplied after the Raven finished its turn and then sticking the Javelin and Griffin on top of the same building. One rain of fire and a collapsed building later and guess who looked the absolute dumbass. ;)

Raven is powerful, and reserve down is a good strategy, but blobbing around a fairly small area is probably a mistake for the jump cavalry style of play I tend to enjoy and may actually have been a detriment to my overall game. One added worry is that the rules for when ECM reapplies are still a bit opaque: it's not the end of the Raven proper's turn, so does that mean at the end of initiative phase 1? Some clarity there would be appreciated.

Raven is powerful, and reserve down is a good strategy, but blobbing around a fairly small area is probably a mistake for the jump cavalry style of play I tend to enjoy and may actually have been a detriment to my overall game. One added worry is that the rules for when ECM reapplies are still a bit opaque: it's not the end of the Raven proper's turn, so does that mean at the end of initiative phase 1? Some clarity there would be appreciated.
Pretty sure it resets at end of round.

Pretty sure it resets at end of round.

I suspect it does, I just haven't had a chance to check because I have yet to play anything other than a Marik partisan for some reason ;).

The tutorial says it resets at the end of the Raven's turn which was clearly ambiguous enough that I ended up having my own little pratfall though.