Imperator - Development Diary 3rd of June

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Does the macro builder also show the numbers and locations ON THE MAP as well as a list? If you want people to engage with their nation more then using the map instead of just a list seems like a good place to start.

... will releasing a client state give you the option to play as that client state? As far as I know, there's no starting nation with the chaldean religion, and no current way to form the Neo Neo Babylonian Empire without messing around with the game files...

Release - save game - load game - chose Babylonian petty kingdom... have you tried it?

I would guess that the percentages for local tax, local manpower, research points and commerce value are from unrest, which it also getting worse with the promotion.
I would think the "results" would have been the stats shown in the macrobuilder but then the second should be manpower.
You may be right. Be good if we didn't have to guess though!

Looks necessary and a good addition to Imperator, but this is nothing that hasn't been in every other Paradox game for a decade.

It is a real shame that we have to wait for Imperator to have features that their other games had five years ago. It makes me worry that after six months of patching this shell of a game we'll have a product that resembles CK or EU four years ago.

Imperator is in desperate need of something unique. And I think the fundamental problem was that they retooled code from a 2007 game (EU Rome) that really wasn't that good then either. It hamstrings any attempt to make Imperator something new. They need to build their next game from the ground up, perhaps even on a new engine. Clausewitz is showing its age, here and in Stellaris.

Welcome to the Paradox business model in 2019, where they release the patch to an empty game adding features that were in all of their older titles. Ledger? Check. Release subjects? Check. Macro builder? Check.

I feel like I'm in the EA forums reading these shameful patch posts.

You can't keep developing game forever, you won't have enough money. You need to release it, get some money to pay to people and then keep developing. It makes sense they do this. Besides, it's all free content they couldn't put into game earlier cuz of lack of time and resources.

Looks necessary and a good addition to Imperator, but this is nothing that hasn't been in every other Paradox game for a decade.

It is a real shame that we have to wait for Imperator to have features that their other games had five years ago. It makes me worry that after six months of patching this shell of a game we'll have a product that resembles CK or EU four years ago.

That is flawed logic, EU4 and Ck2 been in development for years. Ck2 is like 6 years old? It's jsut unfair to compare. I am guessing most of features that EU4 and Ck2 have Imperator will get in free updates. Since is something we payed in previous titles for.

Welcome to the Paradox business model in 2019, where they release the patch to an empty game adding features that were in all of their older titles. Ledger? Check. Release subjects? Check. Macro builder? Check.

I feel like I'm in the EA forums reading these shameful patch posts.
The key difference is that when Paradox recognise that this is a major complaint from fans, they actually listen to us and radically change their games to fit our requests. 2 consuls, removal of mana. I highly respect that, as they probably have to shelve alot of work that they were planning to do post release.

Im still waiting for bigger maps from Simcity, as well as open world for the Sims 4 that I have paid over a 100 bucks for (including discounts). And we have developers from there claiming that DLC for DLC is still a great idea.

And to an extent I dont blame them. Honestly, looking at the level of hate that is generated towards some of the developers over here, I would want to milk all of the cash out of them too.

Welcome to the Paradox business model in 2019.

2019? They went full ahead with this business model at least in 2012 with the release of CK2, and arguing that EU3 (2008) was their first attempt at it would not be baseless either. Whether we like it or not this IS Paradox business model for years, apparently is successful and while it has its obvious drawbacks it also means that great games are still being developed and improved years after release.

It's funny that you compare this release to CK2 and say I:R has less content. Do you remember (or even know) that at launch CK2 was only playable as a Christian country? That meant that on release well over half of the map was populated with unplayable entities. That's like launching Imperator with only republics being playable.

Anwyay, love all the QoL changes, can't go wrong way with those! Keep it up!

You can't keep developing game forever, you won't have enough money. You need to release it, get some money to pay to people and then keep developing. It makes sense they do this. Besides, it's all free content they couldn't put into game earlier cuz of lack of time and resources.

That is flawed logic, EU4 and Ck2 been in development for years. Ck2 is like 6 years old? It's jsut unfair to compare. I am guessing most of features that EU4 and Ck2 have Imperator will get in free updates. Since is something we payed in previous titles for.
The only one who has flawed logic here is you. You are saying that because their previous games have had years of development after release we should not be expecting those same features that they have already DEVELOPED to be part of any new games they release because... the new game has not had years to redevelop the same old features? Are you paid to spew nonsense or do you just say anything to protect Paradox? You are the reason they can keep rushing out half-finished games and get away with it. Shameful.

Why would I want to make a client state? Romans did it to great success, yes. But that was RL. What incentive do I have to do it?

I like having client states / feudatories on my boarders. They serve as a buffer zone, provide swarms of allied troops to harass my foemen, and help mitigate the effects of integrating large numbers of a different religion. Later, when I expand well beyond that buffer area, I annex them.

That's how it works always. All the features in EU2 they added them as dlc in EU3, and all features of EU3 they added to EU4 as dlc.

Now they are going to add all the EU4 features as dlc in I:R, they just need time (and money) to do so.

That's...not how software programming works. You can't just take something that was developed years ago and plug it into a new system like you are changing a tire on your car.
Oh yes clearly, that's why no other gaming company has managed to do just that and improve their games sequel after sequel. No that's totally impossible that's why all game series have stagnated for years and never built upon their previous foundations. Growth and the implementation of previous game mechanics into newer games? Never been heard of and 100% impossible to expect of a gaming company in 2019!!!!

Oh yes clearly, that's why no other gaming company has managed to do just that and improve their games sequel after sequel. No that's totally impossible that's why all game series have stagnated for years and never built upon their previous foundations. Growth and the implementation of previous game mechanics into newer games? Never been heard of and 100% impossible to expect of a gaming company in 2019!!!!

Each game is like a branch of a tree. They share the same trunk but you can't just swap twigs from one branch to the other. Each branch needs to grow their own twigs. Imperator was not built on top of EUIV or CK2, it was built on top of old Rome. You may question that choice, but that's what happened. Implementing quality of life features from other games was not deemed a priority, and that was clearly a mistake. Paradox as grown a lot in the past years and people's expectations are now higher, as they should be, and Paradox needs to step up. But programming wise, implementing features developed over the years for other games, to completely new game is not as trivial as people seem to think.

That's how it works always. All the features in EU2 they added them as dlc in EU3, and all features of EU3 they added to EU4 as dlc.

That is almost completely lie. There was basically no such occasions. Only feature that was "re-added" to Eu4 from Eu3 was Trade Leagues. Still, it works different then in EU3. I do not think you understand how it works. Eu4 mechanically is different. Even though Eu3 and 4 have things that have same name, but they do work different, thus are basically different mechanics.

I do not protect Paradox, but I think people are unfair, specially when they compare older titles to this one. Older titles are and were worse then this one. But they've been out longer. Imperator has much more potential in many ways actually.

Thank you for those great QoL changes, many of them were really needed !

In particular, I was amongst the people complaining about the lack of a ledger and requiring a way to list foreign characters, so I'm really happy you're fixing that !

BUT :

PLEASE ADD A "WARS" PAGE IN THE LEDGER LISTING ALL THE WARS CURRENTLY TAKING PLACE !!!!

Such a page existed in the Ledger of your most recent games (well, those I played) and it was the Ledger page that I was checking the most often.. I can't even understand how you didn't think about putting one in this new ledger...

The information is already available in the diplomacy page of each country, but it takes time to check them all so that really need to be summarized on a aggregated ledger page.

That's...not how software programming works. You can't just take something that was developed years ago and plug it into a new system like you are changing a tire on your car.

I hear you — all features need to be adapted. But Imperator has a ton of features directly ported from EUIV. The siege mechanic is completely identical, as is zone of control. For 1.1 they are porting a ton of features from their previous game. It really just takes tweaking. It can be done, and this is not a valid excuse for features from games of years past to be absent in Imperator.

Not to detract from your point. It is important to keep the reality of development in mind.