• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 - Dev Diary #121 - Court Improvements

Hello! In this dev diary we will present some changes we have made to the court system. Court Management is an important part of the CK2 experience, and currently there are several code pruning mechanisms that curtail court size, making characters die more frequently when the court grows too big. Now court management has been made more interesting by, for example, lowering the aggressive pruning for player courts, creating expenses/benefits associated with a Large Court, court flavored events using the characters of the court, etc. The intention of these changes is to make the system more interactive and interesting.

ck2_15.png

The court limit as shown in the interface.

Your court will now have a size limit depending on your tier, presented in the interface (see picture above). It’s possible to influence this limit by, for example, investing in majesty tech. We have also removed prisoners from the court-tab to make the shown courtiers more relevant.

ck2_18.png

Example of expenses for a big court (can be turned off through a game rule).

To bring life to the courts, we have added some maintenance events that will give your courtiers more of a life behind the scenes, making them more interesting and fun characters by giving them nicknames, modifiers, and skills.

ck2_16.png

Give a courtier a nickname.

We’ve also made sure that any courtier “randomly” picked for generic content is more likely to be someone with good (or at least interesting) skills, a cool minor title, an interesting relationship, etc. This is done by using a scripted score value that takes into account traits, opinions, and modifiers.

We hope that you’ll have fun with this small new feature, and thank you for reading!

But... I already did that in this thread?
And so why not do so again? One is nice, but twice is even better. Let your generosity flow like a river! :D

If it does not affect the health and fertility modifiers, then what does it do exactly? Just disable court expenses?

In any case, could we please have a game rule that completely disables the health and fertility modifiers?
It disables the court expense and makes minor changes to the UI (so it won't display info that's only relevant if the rule is on). It also disables some events that are directly related to court size management.

I'm going to check with the team when I get back to work and see what they have to say about it.
I'm a bit afraid that there might be side effects.

That's why you have this fancy new 'Court Size Limit' game rule.

View attachment 477418
ok so
georgia and armenia are independent, there's a -cia ending country in francy, presumably francia and khazaria exists so this is reminiscent of 867

HOWEVER, it seems to show a new nation where burgundy should be, seems like it says Arles, which existed as independent between 933 and 1032, the Hamdanids are independent so it can't be after 1002, Sicily is Fatimid and the Kievan Rus' is a thing and it's also pretty big.
So I'm guessing something between 950 and 1000? New start date hype

It disables the court expense and makes minor changes to the UI (so it won't display info that's only relevant if the rule is on). It also disables some events that are directly related to court size management.

I'm going to check with the team when I get back to work and see what they have to say about it.
I'm a bit afraid that there might be side effects.

The only side effect I could imagine is that the global number of characters could grow large if the penalties were disabled globally. This could be addressed by simply including a warning that this might affect performance, and also by adding an intermediate option to disable it only for human players and/or higher-tier (king or emperor) rulers.

The only side effect I could imagine is that the global number of characters could grow large if the penalties were disabled globally. This could be addressed by simply including a warning that this might affect performance, and also by adding an intermediate option to disable it only for human players and/or higher-tier (king or emperor) rulers.

Making it disabled only for Player Courts might be the best way to do it. I mean, the AI-operated courts aren't likely to care either way...

If court limits health effects can be disabled I can already see people trying to get at least a 10000 sized court
*When you court is literally bigger than the capital city*

I dont know if someone asked, or it had been stated earlier (I could not find it though) - Are these changes coming in a patch, or in a future DLC? And if it is a patch, is there then any time for when we can expect it?
I really dont want to start a new game up, if something is just around the corner.
Reposting...

ok so
georgia and armenia are independent, there's a -cia ending country in francy, presumably francia and khazaria exists so this is reminiscent of 867

HOWEVER, it seems to show a new nation where burgundy should be, seems like it says Arles, which existed as independent between 933 and 1032, the Hamdanids are independent so it can't be after 1002, Sicily is Fatimid and the Kievan Rus' is a thing and it's also pretty big.
Presumably "-cia" is West Francia, which means a Carolingian has to be the ruler of France (so 982 at the latest). Looks like Otto the Great finally gets his moment to shine.

This building toward a free patch or paid expansion? Fine with either.

ok so

And you can see the new border for the Billung March in the north so it's probably at a date when the pagans there hadn't declared independence.

Similarly, the Kaysites emirate can be seen, next to Armenia, which was eradicated in 964.

962 is a good bet with the start of the HRE.

This doesn't sound like it will change how many people you'll want to have in your court, it will just replace the invisible health and fertility penalty with a visible financial penalty.

I hope that is the case. I want to be able to choose whether or not my courtiers get Health and Fertility penalties in my court or not. I want to choose whether or not extra Courtiers cost money. Most importantly, I want to be able to choose these things without losing Achievement potential.