Imperator - Development Diary - 14th of January 2019

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why have you made Greeks and Romans Olivaster or Dark skinned? Romans and Greeks are White skinned and inantiquity even more than today as can be read by ancient texts!

Why with this misinformed ideas???

There's also distinct lack of blue-haired people. "Blue" was one of the terms Greek used for hair colour in ancient texts.

Anyway, you had either a whole thread or at least a significant disgression on this topic earlier, the devs chimed in that discussion so they are clearly informed about your ideas already.

so what's the deal with the lakes in lower Mesopotamia? in the first above screenshot, some of these bodies of water (including part of the sea itself) are colored a whitish hue that is usually used for wastelands, while some other lakes are a typical blue. is the inconsistent coloring just a fluke or does it signify a new terrain feature? i'm inclined to assume that they might represent the receding coastline of the Gulf, with water features gradually giving way to land over the course of the game. would that guess be correct?

so what's the deal with the lakes in lower Mesopotamia? in the first above screenshot, some of these bodies of water (including part of the sea itself) are colored a whitish hue that is usually used for wastelands, while some other lakes are a typical blue. is the inconsistent coloring just a fluke or does it signify a new terrain feature? i'm inclined to assume that they might represent the receding coastline of the Gulf, with water features gradually giving way to land over the course of the game. would that guess be correct?

What it means is we updated the coastline but it's not in the 2D map yet ;)

When a pretender raises an army against you, doesthst army subtract from your national manpower?

Please say it does! Please have it reduce your maximum manpower by that amount until the issue is dealt with. So, if you pay money to make them mercenaries, then your manpower cap stays lowered.
Please do this for me!

Agreed with this. You cannot have all the manpower at your disposal when part of that manpower leaves to your enemie's armies. It make succession war more even and challenging, and thus, more fun.

We'll get Roman numerals in monarch names where appropriate, right?

I am interested if we can have children so much as in CK2. Succession laws were interesting - we can get female rulers which seems cool and interesting

there are many countries to be formed, is there Anatolia with them?

There was no historical hegemon in Anatolia until basically the Romans. Due to its rugged and divided geography, it was always split. At various times the Hittites, Greeks, Egyptians, Armenians, Assyrians, Persians, etc. all owned slices of it. Most formable nations I’ve seen have been based on a real entity or a historical cognate of a real entity. There’s not even a common culture group in Anatolia sufficient enough to form a nation, really.

So, is it possible or not to reform the government? I mean, if my current character starts to become more autocratic and tyrannical would he have the possibility to transform the Roman Republic into the Empire or just revert to the older Roman Kingdom?

I'd much prefer it if you used the term "Indian Subcontinent" and not "India". The modern state of India ≠ Historical Indian subcontinent. Otherwise, a great dev diary. Can't wait!

I'd much prefer it if you used the term "Indian Subcontinent" and not "India". The modern state of India ≠ Historical Indian subcontinent. Otherwise, a great dev diary. Can't wait!

So according to that faulty logic -

- No such things as Russia or Poland exist until 1991.
- There was no Japan until 1947.
- Chinese people didn't appear on earth until 1949.
- France didn't come into existence as a concept until 1959. :rolleyes:

Sheesh, it gets tiresome every time these armchair experts (with maybe the single Reddit article they read) on India show up to argue about its existence. When unified India as a concept had existed since late bronze age texts, and the civilization itself appeared well with the Mauryans. But alright, "hurr durr India doesn't exist".

Last edited:
In a monarchy a new ruler is not elected but will instead inherit power upon the death of the old monarch. The method for this inheritance depends on which of these succession law the country follow. The family of the current ruler is always preferred over non-family members.

• Agnatic: Inheritance is in age order, with preference to male children of ruler.
  • Agnatic-Cognatic: Inheritance in age order, children of ruler are preferred without preference in regards to gender.
  • Agnatic Seniority: The male siblings of the Monarch will inherit before any children.
  • Egyptian Succession: Children of ruler are preferred in order of age regardless of gender. Members of the royal family will marry their own family members (including sibling to sibling).

Are all of the succession laws really just different kinds of primogeniture? That's kind of boring. Any chance for some different successions, like elected monarchy, ultimogeniture, or anything like that? I'm not sure where those would properly fit into the vanilla game, but I know that modders would appreciate having them!

Are all of the succession laws really just different kinds of primogeniture? That's kind of boring. Any chance for some different successions, like elected monarchy, ultimogeniture, or anything like that? I'm not sure where those would properly fit into the vanilla game, but I know that modders would appreciate having them!

Agreed. I'd love to see a CK2 style succession system. :)

What CK2 did right was - separate gender and succession laws into two different categories like real life.

That meant every gender law from agnatic to enatic (or anywhere in the middle) could perfectly work with every other actual succession law, from primogeniture to seniority, gavelkind, ultimogeniture and various kinds of elective.

No they’re not all primogeniture. But three out of four are.
The odd one out is the seniority one.

Will rulers be able to adopt other characters to increase their ranking in the succession, a la Julius and Octavius?

Will rulers be able to adopt other characters to increase their ranking in the succession, a la Julius and Octavius?

I would imagine that can only happen in the absence of a biological son as I can't recall a single, at least Roman, emperor who had a biological son and adopted an heir over that son. But then again, I don't pretend to be an expert on Rome either.